Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My grandfather died today. Opa Klaus. Died at 59 watching TV with my Oma. They were watching TV and he just passed out and died right there. Heart attack at 59. He was an ice cream truck driver in Luneburg, Germany. He was cool as gently caress. He loved the huge, fast American over the road trucks, smoked like a chimney and ate raw ground pork with salt on it on bread as a snack :stare: I'll miss you, Opa Klaus :qq:

E:

From left to right: Onkel Thomas (kung fu dojo owner/Steven Segal fan), Oma Hilde, Opa Klaus

EE: He's her second husband. Her first was Peter Rose, concentration camp survivor and all around classy guy

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sorry to hear that. Also, It seems that your grandmother has a thing for complete and utter badasses.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Confirming that Mad Max is loving ridiculous.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Told my wife for my birthday celebration I get whatever I want. She said no butt stuff so I said Mad Max.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
First track day BRO of the year is tomorrow. I changed the oil in the e36 M3, cleaned it out, packed some tools and a chair, and put on my track wheels/tires. What should i get for dinner AI? I'm hungry and lazy. I did get paid today.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Job Acquisition: Failure the nth. Tonight we drink, tomorrow the rat race starts again. Who emails at 20:40 on a Friday night, tells you that they've chosen someone else, and then wishes you a pleasant weekend?

gently caress.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I will probably need a lot of emotional support over the next few days. The one thing I thought I could always rely on has been taken away from me, abruptly and with no warning. I can't figure it out and no amount of thinking about it has helped obviously. I don't really know who I can trust anymore, if anyone, ever again. Pretty confused right now. Why me? What did I do? A bit angry, too.

My car has stopped leaking oil without me fixing it. Everything seems fine, it is still full even though I haven't filled it back up in weeks. There must be another mechanic.

:suicide:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sever.

So we just had a huge thunderstorm roll through with flash flooding, brand new Corvette hydro locked up on the median, then a loving Wrangler of all things right after that. People are loving stupid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

Confirming that Mad Max is loving ridiculous.

The absolute unreserved praise and worshipping Fury Road is getting is mindblowing. Seriously? It really is that good?????

I mean, all I wanted was to see / hear the Interceptor one more time and we got one of the literal best movies ever?!?!?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

We don't need another hero

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I spent 11 hours on a creaper under a clapped out limousine we couldnt lift on a rack today. gently caress Cadillac rear shocks. And then the brake line broke near the rear axle while bleeding the brakes after doing CPR on the front. And caddys use some hosed up thread for line fittings no one had so of course i had to flare line all while having to eat the whole thing thing cause the owner couldnt imagine that a 96 Brougham that done 250,000 miles on Chicago streets would have rusty brake lines. So then I went to replace the line all the way back from the combination valve and wouldnt you know, shaking the combination valve around hosed up the line going to the right front. I said gently caress it. Compression fittings all the way. Soaked in brake fluid, I tilted my head and no joke rust chunks fell out. Easily made it into the top 5 shittiest days of being a mechanic. How were your pizza runs today STR?

Edit: Oh it wasnt even like a company limo. Some dude bought it for nothing at auction just so he can pay some guy in drugs probably to drive him to the strip club on fridays. And yea, he "needed" it tonight.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 16, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mbps chat, my internet connection is currently alternating between the 20/5 I pay for and something worse than dialup. It spends most of its time in the "worse than dialup" phase, of course. Sonic is sending me a new modem, we'll see if that fixes it.

I have definitely considered pulling out my modem and dialing one of Sonic's dial-in numbers which apparently they still have.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Sorry about your Opa, Taco Box. Sounds like he had a good life.

Health chat: I'm participating in my first 5k tomorrow. We'll see how this goes.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Goon meet report: commiegir is good people. Weooooo

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Get some easy gains by upgrading to a 28.8

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

I actually already knew about that feature, I just forgot about the drat thing :eng99:

I'll still be having beer tonight.

One of the few things GM consistently does right - they kill power to the interior lights 15-20 minutes after you shut the car off.

Which has saved my rear end many times. I always use the map lights to find poo poo as I'm getting ready to get out of the car, then I turn off the car, then all the lights come on automatically, and I forgot to turn the map lights back off (since they come on when you shut off the car). :doh:

That "feature" does get annoying when you've rented a box truck that runs the lights in the box off of the interior lighting though.

leica posted:

So we just had a huge thunderstorm roll through with flash flooding, brand new Corvette hydro locked up on the median, then a loving Wrangler of all things right after that. People are loving stupid.

We've gone from record breaking droughts to... record breaking rain and flooding. Right now a major lake has had its floodgates open for nearly a week, though they only opened them to 100% yesterday.

52,000 gallons. Per second. :stonk:

Preoptopus posted:

Soaked in brake fluid, I tilted my head and no joke rust chunks fell out. Easily made it into the top 5 shittiest days of being a mechanic. How were your pizza runs today STR?

Sounds like my day was a hell of a lot better than yours. :staredog:

2 stiffs, but a few other deliveries more than made up for it. It was a shitload slower than we expected, so I got cut loose a bit early (almost an hour), but I walked out the door with $73.

....only real gripe is 4 of my orders were in the very far eastern edge of our area (not even the same city - it goes from suburb to farms soon as you pass the city limits sign - last census put the population at about 5k for the entire neighboring city). The last time I worked at this store, I think I had 1 or 2 orders out there in a month. But distance wise, it was about like nearly half of the orders I'd get every day at Jet's (5-6 miles each way).

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mbps chat, my internet connection is currently alternating between the 20/5 I pay for and something worse than dialup. It spends most of its time in the "worse than dialup" phase, of course. Sonic is sending me a new modem, we'll see if that fixes it.

Cable or DSL? I'd guess that's a signal quality issue either way, but cable is a lot quicker to throw up its hands and say "gently caress this poo poo" when there's an issue with signal (also DSL at 20/5 would probably be VDSL, which is black magic as far as I'm concerned). Assuming, of course, it's not predictable (i.e. goes to poo poo between 4-10pm, then works fine once people start going to bed).

:stare: I haven't seen one of those since 1996 or so. One of the best modems Supra ever made though.

Next thing I know someone is going to pull out a ZyXEL 16.8k (goddamn I paid through the nose for that thing... in 1993)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 16, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It's Sonic, so it should be two bonded ADSL2 connections. Luckily for him, Sonic has some actually intelligent techs, so they should be able to sort it out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

Get some easy gains by upgrading to a 28.8

It is actually 28.8, it's just 14.4 for fax.

some texas redneck posted:

Cable or DSL? I'd guess that's a signal quality issue either way, but cable is a lot quicker to throw up its hands and say "gently caress this poo poo" when there's an issue with signal (also DSL at 20/5 would probably be VDSL, which is black magic as far as I'm concerned). Assuming, of course, it's not predictable (i.e. goes to poo poo between 4-10pm, then works fine once people start going to bed).

:stare: I haven't seen one of those since 1996 or so. One of the best modems Supra ever made though.

Next thing I know someone is going to pull out a ZyXEL 16.8k (goddamn I paid through the nose for that thing... in 1993)

DSL. We'll see what happens when the new modem gets here. If it still sucks I'll raise hell. It's a shame too because I love Sonic so far. I've never had to wait for tech support, they're knowledgeable, and the prices are pretty reasonable.

Edit:

So who wants to set up a BBS? Or maybe UUCP?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 16, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Raluek posted:

It's Sonic, so it should be two bonded ADSL2 connections. Luckily for him, Sonic has some actually intelligent techs, so they should be able to sort it out.

Oh gently caress, I only had to gently caress with bonded DSL a few times while I was doing tech support. Not even gonna try to guess beyond checking the dmarc and swapping phone cords.

also if that ancient Supra is able to connect at 28.8, it's probably not a line issue, assuming it's plugged into the same jack as the DSL modem.

The ISPs I've worked for have ranged from "how do you manage to not drown while drinking water?" to "terrible" in terms of tech support (Frontier, Time Warner, Internet America), so I'm automatically a bit biased.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cross-posted from the British thread:

Sorry for the potato-quality pics.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

I will probably need a lot of emotional support over the next few days. The one thing I thought I could always rely on has been taken away from me, abruptly and with no warning. I can't figure it out and no amount of thinking about it has helped obviously. I don't really know who I can trust anymore, if anyone, ever again. Pretty confused right now. Why me? What did I do? A bit angry, too.

My car has stopped leaking oil without me fixing it. Everything seems fine, it is still full even though I haven't filled it back up in weeks. There must be another mechanic.

:suicide:

You get your rear end out there and give that bitch a piece of your mind.

and film it :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pham Nuwen posted:

Cross-posted from the British thread:

Sorry for the potato-quality pics.

'Ran when parked'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it Rhyno, stop thinking about buying other cars and be happy with the two very nice cars you already own you loving retard.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Wow that's clean. Send me an email fd3sengineering@gmail.com This may be a bad idea, but I have to know more, haha.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fuuuuuuuck. Worked nonstop today from 7AM to 11PM. Running from roof to roof to clean coils and change filters. Then of course at 7pm I get a call saying we have two service calls to run.

Jokes on them though, I started getting overtime at 7AM today. 15 hours motherfuckers.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

some texas redneck posted:

We've gone from record breaking droughts to... record breaking rain and flooding. Right now a major lake has had its floodgates open for nearly a week, though they only opened them to 100% yesterday.

52,000 gallons. Per second. :stonk:

The record breaking droughts actually probably have a lot to do with the flooding. The ground has become so hard packed that it's not able to absorb the water the way it should. Then more of the water ends up as runoff vs. entering the water table and doesn't actually end up helping the whole drought issue a whole lot.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Rhyno posted:

God drat it Rhyno, stop thinking about buying other cars and be happy with the two very nice cars you already own you loving retard.

Or you could do what I've been doing and research and CL shop for 400hp+ cars. WHICH ONE IS MORE FUN?!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Got a promotion / title change at work today, with an 11% pay bump. It's basically just to recognize what I already do, so my workload stays the same. :toot:

Gotta love having bosses who appreciate what you do and push stuff through on your behalf. My job is dumb but I count my blessings in that regard every day.

Note; 11% of poop is still poop but at least I can fertilize the lawn :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mat_Drinks posted:

Or you could do what I've been doing and research and CL shop for 400hp+ cars. WHICH ONE IS MORE FUN?!

I just want a small little coupe with a fuckton of power and rwd, is that too much to ask?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

For me lately it's been cheap motorcycles, but I want a supermoto so bad and the one I really want costs more than my Miata is worth :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Get a miata and swap in 2 BPs.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Rhyno posted:

I just want a small little coupe with a fuckton of power and rwd, is that too much to ask?

You're talking to the guy that wants a small little sedan with a fuckton of power, so no, not at all :getin:

Also congrats on the promotion Royal :) and condolences far above about Opa :(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

For me lately it's been cheap motorcycles, but I want a supermoto so bad and the one I really want costs more than my Miata is worth :(

The motorcycle I really want costs as much as a 996, so I know your pain.

Then again I commute on a 13yr old bike with 47k on it and I ride about 1k/month, so I guess I COULD justify it...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cat Terrist posted:

The absolute unreserved praise and worshipping Fury Road is getting is mindblowing. Seriously? It really is that good?????

I mean, all I wanted was to see / hear the Interceptor one more time and we got one of the literal best movies ever?!?!?

It's superb, it's story telling cut to the bone. There's enough of it to initiate everything else, the world created in the film is very much believable and the entire thing is just an utter joy to sit through. I don't think I stopped grinning until about half an hour after it had finished. There's definitely a feeling of a director been given free reign and it really shows onscreen, it's glorious.

...and the vehicles. Oh the vehicles!

My advice is go see it in 2D as I feel I missed some of the details in certain scenes because of the 3D. So I'm seeing it again in 2D next weekend.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I rode my bike for the first time ever today. The thing is unstable as poo poo, and I keep forgetting that there is a back brake but it was pretty decent fun overall. I may do this again sometime. It sounds pretty cool too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes. Ignore all George Lucas' navel-gazing mutterings about how he changes films to better tell the story how we wanted to originally and couldn't, George Miller takes that principle and just kerbstomps it into the ground. It is two hours of unrelenting action in the Mad Max world as it should be.

It's certainly one of the best action movies ever, and it makes a statement of intent which it actually follows up and meets in a way that's been sorely lacking in so many films.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Every single parking lot in this city.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Man benzos.and obeer go together like 2 pees k a pod. Before anyone worries, I took one of those free xanax in the rare nights I have insomnia and they don't hook me as anything other thank a good night pill. Cracked a beer out of haviy, first g in go the past 2 da6sbefen, made it like three slugs in and realized 5his poo poo doesn't okay around,

Soocmooks like I'm pouring a peer iut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Reminder to everyone who enjoys endurance racing. Nrburgring 24 hour race starts at 10am EDT today. Cheer for the Glickenhaus SCG003, they're down to one car after a crash in practice yesterday.

Official live stream will be - http://www.24h-rennen.de/en/live/
Radio LeMans will have a stream as well - http://www.radiolemans.com/

1 hour 38 minutes to start...

• Locked thread