Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

So I realized yesterday that there is no real reason to have residential and office zones actually connected to your traffic system. I'm up to about 15k people in a new city where commercial and industrial are on grids connected to the highways but residential/office are on their own grids with no outlet or way in.

Screenshots please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

bitcoin bastard posted:

Adblockers are pretty resource hungry, I'd suggest picking one or the other. (I'm using Adblock, and I never see any ads.)

E: Oh and Google agrees with you on Java, recent Chrome updates disable Java entirely without going into chrome://flags to re-enable NPAPI plugins.

Ublock uses less than half the resources of Adblock.

https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hadlock posted:

Screenshots please

At work, will upload when I get home. It looks normal because the two sectors bump up against each other, but there is no actual road connection between the residential/office area and the rest of the world.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hadlock posted:

Screenshots please

It works but pedestrians still need a path to walk on and if you don't use trains to bring cargo in any commercial will start complaining about a lack of goods to sell eventually (since they aren't getting van deliveries).

Otherwise I've definitely set up little townships only accessible by public transit. Works fine.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I can't be the only person who's set up a crematorium next to a waste incinerator and wondered if it wouldn't be more cost-effective to join the two services.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Someone mentioned a bug a while ago where in some cases subway trains and road traffic will collide/try to yield to each other. This appears to have started happening with at least one of my stations. Are there any known solutions? I might try deleting/rebuilding it and/or moving it over a few squares, but if anyone has a proper fix that would be nice.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Supraluminal posted:

Someone mentioned a bug a while ago where in some cases subway trains and road traffic will collide/try to yield to each other. This appears to have started happening with at least one of my stations. Are there any known solutions? I might try deleting/rebuilding it and/or moving it over a few squares, but if anyone has a proper fix that would be nice.

When that happens to me, it's because of surface traffic right above where the station's built-in tunnel ends. Moving the station works.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Moridin920 posted:

It works but pedestrians still need a path to walk on and if you don't use trains to bring cargo in any commercial will start complaining about a lack of goods to sell eventually (since they aren't getting van deliveries).

Otherwise I've definitely set up little townships only accessible by public transit. Works fine.

Yeah I didn't do any commercial in the residential areas.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Supraluminal posted:

Just move it like a little bit and you'll be good. It only happens if the station is in exactly the right spot.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Sometimes I've had a similar issue with metro stations under a crossroad where the passengers will wait next to the road like it's a bus stop rather than down below on the metro platform. They'll still catch the train normally but it just looks odd.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The Deadly Hume posted:

Sometimes I've had a similar issue with metro stations under a crossroad where the passengers will wait next to the road like it's a bus stop rather than down below on the metro platform. They'll still catch the train normally but it just looks odd.

Yeah, that happens when a road slightly covers the middle of the underground waiting area where the stop dot appears. I saw it a lot before I started trying to make all my intersections perpendicular.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm asking on behalf of a friend. She made a city she was really proud of and saved it earlier today after playing on my computer, on her Steam account, but on my computer through Family Sharing. However, she booted it up just now, on my computer, and she can't find her save file. Instead she only has the save file that she had from much earlier in the day. What happened? Is there any way to get the more up to date file back?

Both the Steam local computer files nor the save files in the Cloud files on my computer have her most up to date file that we are both sure we saw her click save on. Is she out of luck? I just checked on the game both on my steam account and hers and no dice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hrm. Skylines saves outside of the steam cloud system are saved per Windows users, under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines.

The Skylines Cloud Save cache is in... Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[STEAMUSERID]\255710, so that varies by steam user.

I'm... not sure? Check inside all of the steam user IDs in that folder?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

MikeJF posted:

Hrm. Skylines saves outside of the steam cloud system are saved per Windows users, under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines.

The Skylines Cloud Save cache is in... Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[STEAMUSERID]\255710, so that varies by steam user.

I'm... not sure? Check inside all of the steam user IDs in that folder?

Yeah I watched her hit the save button, and there were no other save files at the time so she couldn't possibly have hit the load button. It went back to the game after the save was done. We exited and switched to my account or something.

And now it's gone. drat I guess she's out of luck. :( That's really lovely. We don't know why too.

Edit: gently caress she was really proud of it too. She's quite upset. Anyone else hear of anything similar?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 15, 2015

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Freudian posted:

I can't be the only person who's set up a crematorium next to a waste incinerator and wondered if it wouldn't be more cost-effective to join the two services.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/8917633/A-dead-heat-crematorium-to-sell-power-for-National-Grid.html

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Just as some advice for anyone who's interested in making their own maps without using terrain.party to grab real world terrain, the program Wilbur can be used to simulate erosion on the same kind of heightmap that the Skylines editor uses.

Before:

After:

It works for chunkier terrain as well, but you have more control of the end result if you make your initial mountains more detailed. It really adds quite a bit of detail and definition to the terrain while being pretty effortless, outside of a bit of work to smoothen out some fuckups.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: no cars residential zones

If I setup an island with no road, no subway connections to the mainland, but I have a passenger boat terminal on both the island and the mainland, will it act as a ferry service, and will the Cims use it?

Same question for intra-city freight.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

No on the boat, yes on the train

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Just make sure the trains run on time, whatever the cost.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Efexeye posted:

No on the boat, yes on the train

Well, I know what mod I'd like to request now..

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm guessing something that deep in the mechanics would be part of an expansion pack rather than a mod, or it'd be out already. Using trains to shuttle goods from filthy Ind to crowded Com is a good strategy, just elevate the tracks so the trains can run smoothly. I use the gaps I leave from making the freeway and frontage road for these stations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want elevated train stations that have a bit of a smaller footprint than the regular ones so I can make elevated train lines going through my city.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I want elevated train stations that have a bit of a smaller footprint than the regular ones so I can make elevated train lines going through my city.

I wpuld love to be able to build a Chicago-style El in my cities. It would look :krad:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

:siren: paging Fishbus

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

pakman posted:

I wpuld love to be able to build a Chicago-style El in my cities. It would look :krad:

You could always pick up Cities in Motion 2. It's easy to build stuff like this:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a mod now that will kill your cims at random now, rather than giving them a fixed, exactly-six-years lifespan. This ought to help with sawtooth population spikes and valleys that happen a couple years after your city really starts growing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421188880

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Has anyone figured out why the gently caress this happens? My best guess is that the simulation really doesn't like it when water flows up hill, but holy poo poo this drives me insane.

e:

The day/night mod is so good.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 16, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Honestly, passenger train stations should be much smaller in footprint than what they have now. Cargo stations it's fine being huge, but suburban stations are usually nowhere near that big unless they're a depot, and it totally messes up commuter ground-level trains.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The station has to be at least as long as the longest train
:goonsay:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Hadlock posted:

"...the first 4 cars will not open up at Amityville station. If you wish to depart at Amityville please walk towards the rear of the train"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't have to be so wide. Especially if it can connect to roads/paths from the end of the platform rather than the side.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 16, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, I agree, here is a DART station from my city in Dallas, it is about three track widths wide, two tracks and a center island, about 30% of the stations in Dallas look like this. It's cropped (it goes on for quite a ways on either side) but you're right, it's very narrow and is capable of serving many passengers.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, I agree, here is a DART station from my city in Dallas, it is about three track widths wide, two tracks and a center island, about 30% of the stations in Dallas look like this. It's cropped (it goes on for quite a ways on either side) but you're right, it's very narrow and is capable of serving many passengers.

Now what you need to do is have all four lines go through one track downtown and hamstring system capacity forever! On top of that, make the trains have to stop for cars at road intersections as well.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

drat this game; I keep trying to use WASD to navigate Google Maps and it never works.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can railroad tracks really not cross streets in this game or have I just not figured it out?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Can railroad tracks really not cross streets in this game or have I just not figured it out?
Left click at the street to place an intersection, then keep going from there.

Then go back 15 minutes later and turn it into an elevated crossing because level crossings kill traffic flow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Sure they can, you must be doing something wrong. That said, you probably don't want them to; run elevated tracks where you can instead. Level crossings are disproportionately traffic-jamming.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
That google map new tab chrome extension just brought me to Boca Raton, FL. Which has the most Cities Skyline-esque aesthetic I've seen yet.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Sure they can, you must be doing something wrong. That said, you probably don't want them to; run elevated tracks where you can instead. Level crossings are disproportionately traffic-jamming.

Level crossings look cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Subyng posted:

Level crossings look cooler.

That may be, I still wouldn't want to use them anywhere besides the middle of nowhere.