Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my god, guys... Going Down's 'Time Warp' floor, holy poo poo :psyduck:

It just keeps getting weirder from there. I thought it couldn't get any weirder once I hit map 18 or so, but the insanity has just kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Oh my god, guys... Going Down's 'Time Warp' floor, holy poo poo :psyduck:

If you thought that was something, wait till you get to Insanity.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Here is my initial reaction to going down.

This is your brain on Cyriak posted:

:wtf: :psyboom: :black101:

I'm glad I decided to add trailblazer to the mix, and that trailblazers grenade launcher doesn't have self damage.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Max Wilco posted:

Here's a top ten that I came up with after twenty minutes or so:

• DOOM
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Half-Life
  • Quake
  • SiN
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Painkiller
  • Descent
  • Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
  • Unreal

One of those should be swapped out for Team Fortress 2, otherwise it looks pretty good

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Re: Going Down, I really can't wait, then! I've decided to keep going with Brutal Doom, since I just picked up the SSG, but I will definitely replay it with both Demonsteele and vanilla (ok, Chocolate) Doom.

It's so good :allears:

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
We 3DO music now. Huge thanks to Blzut3 for his assistance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABbKCABBfVw

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Do a video of one of Laz Rojas' mods.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Re: Going Down, I really can't wait, then! I've decided to keep going with Brutal Doom, since I just picked up the SSG, but I will definitely replay it with both Demonsteele and vanilla (ok, Chocolate) Doom.

It's so good :allears:

Going Down doesn't work with Chocolate Doom, also remember that the final boss isn't going to work with gameplay mods.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
What level packs do play well with Doom gameplay mods then? :saddowns:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

Well that depends on which gameplay mods, right?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Klaus88 posted:

samsara seems to play well with everything

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bouchacha posted:

Well that depends on which gameplay mods, right?

Not really, actually, any level packs that mess with the weapons or enemies won't play nicely with the majority of gameplay mods.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Klaus88 posted:

Anything that doesn't come with dehacked lumps and isn't a Zdoom set will probably play fine with most mods. This is why you read the readme and see if they added new enemies/weapons or .deh/.beh files/lumps!

Basically every Doom map will have a readme that should contain something like this in it,
code:
New levels              : 32 (full megawad)
Sounds                  : No
Music                   : Yes (mosly contributions by the team musicians)
Graphics                : Yes (screens, misc. graphics, textures, and flats)
Dehacked/BEX Patch      : Yes (level names, music, and intermission texts)
Demos                   : Yes (4 Doom v1.9f recordings)
Other                   : Yes (MAPINFO lump for some source ports)
Other files required    : No (but see "Game" below)
This would work with a gameplay mod, but most things that say Dehacked/BEX and don't specify it's just names and music will not play nice with gameplay mods.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 15, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Klaus88 posted:

Literally everything vanilla compatible. And for things that aren't vanilla compatible:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Not really, actually, any level packs that mess with the weapons or enemies won't play nicely with the majority of gameplay mods.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
When in doubt ask the mod creator. They'll give you some nice recommendations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I'll play Going Down with BD, and then once I hit a wall with the final boss, I'll quit, restart in vanilla, and cheat my way back.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Vanilla compatible weapons mod? Stuff like The Blessed Engine could work, after removing monster behaviour patches, I guess?

Also now I really want to mix TBE with Going Down and see the resulting atrocity/comedy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so I've gone underground, and I REALLY don't know how I'm going to be able to survive 'Broken Records' (map09).

I only have rockets, and I'm running out of those :ohdear:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

One of those should be swapped out for Team Fortress 2, otherwise it looks pretty good

Mine would be (in no particular order since I like them all for different reasons):
-DOOM
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Unreal / Unreal Tournament
-Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
-Half-Life
-Quake
-Painkiller
-Tribes 2
-F.E.A.R.
-STALKER

MoHAA is a game I can't deny because It had an awesome SP back in the days but the MP was absolutely fantastic (still is in my opinion). F.E.A.R. still has one of the best shotguns and enemy AI and god, STALKER is unique. I could swap one of these three for Return to Castle Wolfenstein, include Wolfenstein the New Order, SWAT 3, RainbowSix Rogue Spear (tho this one had 3rd person view so may not be there) or my obscure love, Undying.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

laserghost posted:

Vanilla compatible weapons mod? Stuff like The Blessed Engine could work, after removing monster behaviour patches, I guess?

Also now I really want to mix TBE with Going Down and see the resulting atrocity/comedy

I now for some reason want to see someone try to get The Blessed Engine to work in Zandronum. Or, perhaps, The Sky May Be. Either of them is a trip and a half in and of itself.

e: Paging TerminusEst13, stream TBE or TSMB! I want to see what you, as an experienced modder of Doom, think of these monstrosities.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It really wouldn't make much sense to stream one without the other.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Ask me about beating the first two episodes of Doom on UV with blessed.deh loaded

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Am I the only one who thinks that Memento Mori and its sequel are really overrated? I got super hyped up for them because of highly recommended they came, but when I actually started playing them... they were just... really boring? I just absolutely could not get into them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Memento Mori and its sequel are really overrated? I got super hyped up for them because of highly recommended they came, but when I actually started playing them... they were just... really boring? I just absolutely could not get into them.

Memento Mori was a lot more impressive back in 96. It's also a lot more fun played co-op.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I love the soundtracks to both (Mark Klem!) but I don't think the maps themselves have aged extremely well.

(I used to autoload mmmus.wad or mm2mus.wad just to reuse their music for other WADs that didn't include any)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Back then getting maps that were just as good as the Doom II levels was a big deal. Also I legitimately like parts of MMII.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Segmentation Fault posted:

When in doubt ask the mod creator. They'll give you some nice recommendations.

If their wad isn't compatible with Brutal Doom it doesn't hurt to ask them to change it. You sometimes have to do this multiple times to get their attention.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

No, they're old and of varying quality.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
1997 is when you get Hell Revealed, along with the release of Plutonia in 1996 which is where I start really loving third-party .wads

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I actually don't really get the appeal of Hell Revealed either. I will admit that I sort of enjoyed parts of the first one, but I also discovered fun stuff like a lift that you could fall off of that also could not be called back down again after it went up, breaking the game. Then there's the second one which is just... I mean, I get it, a lot of people are better at Doom than me, but seriously? People can actually play a PWAD like HR2 without cheating?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nokiaman posted:

We 3DO music now. Huge thanks to Blzut3 for his assistance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABbKCABBfVw

Why do all the sounds but the ammo pickup sound like they're recorded through a speaker?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I actually don't really get the appeal of Hell Revealed either. I will admit that I sort of enjoyed parts of the first one, but I also discovered fun stuff like a lift that you could fall off of that also could not be called back down again after it went up, breaking the game. Then there's the second one which is just... I mean, I get it, a lot of people are better at Doom than me, but seriously? People can actually play a PWAD like HR2 without cheating?

Most people don't really care for HR2, to be honest. (Which makes sense, since it's a sequel that has none of the creators from the first one).

Elliotw2 posted:

All of these except Hideous Destructor have a Zandronum version (with odd bugs sometimes.)

Reelism works pretty well and has a lobby area after each wave, though sometimes a player spawns "stuck"
Russian Overkill works perfectly except it'll cause your host computer to loving melt.

I knew about RO working, but didn't mention it because I'm still a little confused as to what's going on with the Zandronum port (apparently someone ripped assets and code from RO to make their own mod without crediting PillowBlaster?) Did not know about Reelism though!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I am going to be contrarian and say i like the looser, more relaxed gameplay of the best '90s wads over the more choreographed battles of modern wads. I would love to play a megawad that looks like BTSX but plays like Requiem.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why do all the sounds but the ammo pickup sound like they're recorded through a speaker?

I assume it's because it's using whatever audio system regular Wolf3D uses thus the low quality.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I almost quit playing Alien Vendetta cause of the map that paid homage to Hell Revealed and that was enough to tell me I would hate Hell Revealed.

I finished a play through of Valiant the other day, the new megawad by skillsaw. It was really good, and never got into the really abusive slaughter style game play. Great use of custom textures and a few new enemies, gives it a nice bit of freshness. Megawad of the year, so far. Anyone looking to play something new, something that feels new, give Valiant a try.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

apophenium posted:

I almost quit playing Alien Vendetta cause of the map that paid homage to Hell Revealed and that was enough to tell me I would hate Hell Revealed.

I finished a play through of Valiant the other day, the new megawad by skillsaw. It was really good, and never got into the really abusive slaughter style game play. Great use of custom textures and a few new enemies, gives it a nice bit of freshness. Megawad of the year, so far. Anyone looking to play something new, something that feels new, give Valiant a try.

The original hell revealed is fantastic, I adore the wads like speed of doom, scythe 2 alien vendetta and even slaughter maps like sunder. It's like the finest of doom wines you can only appreciate after a certain amount of doom wad and level design exposure. Otoh valiant is super good and anything by skill saw is great. His new age post scythe speed of doom level design is awesome and he has a great open level design with great use of new textures.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Gearbox/Interceptor lawsuit over Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction has been settled, supposedly, I don't have time to sift through 30 pages of legalese: http://www.scribd.com/doc/264520063/Exhibit-s-3-Apogee-Software-Ltd-and-Interceptor-Entertainment-ApS

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
It was settled via mediation.

http://i.imgur.com/MnQaBrH.png

No word on what the results are.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
What the hell is that guy's last name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster