Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I also didn't like Cheap Trick much either, but that was largely because it felt a bit like a retread of Empress and didn't really do anything better.

If there's one thing I enjoyed about Cheap Trick, it's that I figured out what Rohan's plan was one page before Cheap Trick himself did.

It was fantastic. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The callus panels own because it's like "whoah man check all all this CRAZY poo poo i can do with my calluses man look at this stuff"

It also starts up with the binocs scene which is great.

I don't remember much about the fight itself other than mikitaka trying to help and superfly being a giant gray tower and not at all a buggy stand and that cool shot where Josuke tries to leave and starts turning into metal. Also I guess the bad guy there was wearing a mask but I couldn't tell what his real face was, it was really weird, and superfly had some cool poo poo with "ricochet" attacks or however you'd describe what superfly did.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

You're missing the point, which is that Tonio is a GOOD FIGHT people will dismiss on the basis of being filler.

I've seen people throwing shade on D'Arby the Gambler for similar reasons. D'Arby the Gambler.

Maybe you're right and I did miss the intent. I guess I just find it hard to imagine that that particular part could be called bad by anyone. Like I'm not a big fan of Part 4, but Pearl Jam was rad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FirstAidKite posted:

superfly being a giant gray tower and not at all a buggy stand

tower of grey was a superfly and superfly was a tower of grey

God drat it Araki :vince:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He should've named Bruno's Stand Superfly. :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Potsticker posted:

Maybe you're right and I did miss the intent. I guess I just find it hard to imagine that that particular part could be called bad by anyone. Like I'm not a big fan of Part 4, but Pearl Jam was rad.
It's not really about whether or not a fight is good or bad, it's about whether it "Matters" in the big scheme of things. There are people for whom the only context in which a scene matters is if it contributes to the overarching plot. I've known a lot of these people. I used to be one. First time I read Part 4 when I was young and lame I basically skimmed past most of the Tonio stuff once I realized our heroes were just wasting time at a restaurant with a fight that wasn't even a proper fight. Everything about Tonio is great but I couldn't appreciate it because "It didn't matter." If Part 4 was ultimately just a fun waste of time, I was so blinded by it being a waste of time that I overlooked the fun.

I am willing to bet there are people who are dumb today in the same way I was dumb back then, and threads like this would support my claim.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tower of Grey was a beetle, not a fly. :spergin:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So in anticipation of what's coming up, I was watching a video of DIO's appearances thusfar and I noticed something: When Dio shows up to Avdol (about 2:32), he's got a scarf on and a particularly sassy pose going on. When he appears to Polnareff (6:42-3 ish), he's just out and out wearing Young Joseph's puffy red jacket and jeans.

DIO really really wants Joseph('s blood)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Potsticker posted:

Why are you guys bringing up spaghetti punching as the hypothetical battle that someone would complain about and like one of the actual terrible fights? Like Superfly.

Superfly has the best Information Spread in all of Jojo, even better than Cars Ultimate Lifeform Rundown.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I always liked how the Araki wreathed Dio's face in darkness even though we (the viewer) should technically already know what he looks like.

It's a simple trick that really adds to his sinister allure in a way no other medium could capture.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually, dio is just smoking this entire time and it needs to be censored

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Smokin' hot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
DIO is too pretty for TV.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Tower of Grey was a beetle, not a fly. :spergin:

His user's name is Gray Fly

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Superfly is a pretty cool fight. Dude has his whole life set up there and then there's all the acrobatic/ricochet stuff he does to make his harmful Stand actually seem good.
It's also really hard to be worse than The Lock and Surface too. Those definitely come before Superfly when it comes to bad fights.

e: except now I'm also remembering good things about Lock and Surface. drat you Part 4! :argh:

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 16, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Archenteron posted:

So in anticipation of what's coming up, I was watching a video of DIO's appearances thusfar and I noticed something: When Dio shows up to Avdol (about 2:32), he's got a scarf on and a particularly sassy pose going on. When he appears to Polnareff (6:42-3 ish), he's just out and out wearing Young Joseph's puffy red jacket and jeans.

DIO really really wants Joseph('s blood)

Too bad DavidPro didn't have him crossdressed as a woman while confronting Kakyoin.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

dogsicle posted:

Superfly is a pretty cool fight. Dude has his whole life set up there and then there's all the acrobatic/ricochet stuff he does to make his harmful Stand actually seem good.
It's also really hard to be worse than The Lock and Surface too. Those definitely come before Superfly when it comes to bad fights.

The Lock is really silly, but it is a great example of the differences between Stands during Stardust Crusaders and the ones that come after. Even the most innocuous of powers can be capitalized on by clever usage. Pretty ambivalent about Surface, though, it's just kind of there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Lock is a great fight and I won't hear otherwise.

Surface is only okay but worth it to see that one guy steadily shrinking over the course of its duration.

EDIT: vvv Doppelganger Josuke was also pretty great.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 16, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah, mulling it over and Lock is a great and kinda darkly funny fight. Koichi gets a moment to shine and the Stand itself makes the otherwise lovely blackmail effective. Surface has Doppel-Josuke insulting his master, which is both funny and a cool Stand Thing, like ACT 3 having an independent personality.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

dogsicle posted:

Yeah, mulling it over and Lock is a great and kinda darkly funny fight. Koichi gets a moment to shine and the Stand itself makes the otherwise lovely blackmail effective. Surface has Doppel-Josuke insulting his master, which is both funny and a cool Stand Thing, like ACT 3 having an independent personality.

Hahaha, I totally forgot about the Stand talking mad poo poo when it's impersonating Josuke. The fight itself isn't too exciting but that part is great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Wish I was that photogenic.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Clearly, he got the Iggy makeover.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The other great part with the surface fight is fake-josuke knocking out tamami and tamami never finding out that was a fake so he just carried that grudge all the way up through tamami returning for the Rohan v Josuke gamble

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Echoes' secret power is making men defeated by him shrink to the same size as Koichi.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The most powerful stand.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

FirstAidKite posted:

And then she never uses them again

her and mista work together to (somehow???) hold diavolo back for a bit

Meme Emulator posted:

Superfly has the best Information Spread in all of Jojo, even better than Cars Ultimate Lifeform Rundown.

akira's guitar

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well the JoJo panel at ACen ended a while ago and nobody involved or on twitter/tumblr has posted anything about Part 3's dub. seems kinda concerning.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The first two parts aren't even out yet, hold your drat horses.

They also had Richard Epcar there, so there's that. They ain't bringing him to a con on the basis of 5 minutes at the end of part 2.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

With an actual (test) dub being out way before the PB/BT announcement, I just expected more (hype? news? talk?) out of a panel with the distributors and one of the VAs. Even if they're just waiting to see how season 1 does, I'd hope to hear as much this weekend.

e: finished the new episode and christ, that cliffhanger is just evil for anime watchers.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 16, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

umalt posted:

Plus it's so sad knowing that nearly half of the group is now out of commission and you are stuck seeing them have the times of their lives in the ED.

Lol

dogsicle posted:

Honestly I expected Avdol to be edited out of the ED, but maybe we'll get there next week.

Stop fishing in the anime thread dude.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Lose to Josuke or crew, get hit by the Koichi midget virus.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

dogsicle posted:

finished the new episode and christ, that cliffhanger is just evil for anime watchers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Late, but

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
requesting that Jojolion/My Love Story crossover ad please

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Here you go

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Thanks !

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Second Anthology songs are finally on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpRPPTvP7dk&list=PL8TfzIcwlBh3YsAu1wM6R9mdf6DypbCGX&index=1

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think I realized who this character was actually supposed to be until I was done with that little arc.

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~
This week's anime ep was very well done, but this kept bugging the poo poo out of me

Kind of a big goof to make considering how the fight ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

couwy posted:

This week's anime ep was very well done, but this kept bugging the poo poo out of me

Kind of a big goof to make considering how the fight ends.

What's the goof?

• Locked thread