Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

axelsoar posted:

I have no idea how to make a hospital, barely understand armies, and even with a drawbridge It seems like the dwarves are never fast enough to close it. Also, there is the issue of the poor bastards working outside.

I really love the concept and it is fun to watch a fortress take shape, the game is just loving obtuse.

I felt the same way when I started playing this game in 2012 and after resigning myself to the idea that I'd never be able to understand this obtuse game it all sort of just started to click. Losing is FUN, remember that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
e: double post :(

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

axelsoar posted:

I am the dumb, that is a great idea.
If you do two doors next to one another you can lock both of them and confuse building destroyer pathfinding. They check to see if the spot beyond a destroyable object is pathable, but not to see if what occupies that tile is also destroyable, so a second locked door makes them go "nope, can't get through there" and not try. They can still random wander into it and destroy it though, so better have that drawbridge raised.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

axelsoar posted:

barely understand armies

Hihohe posted:

No one understands military. you are right to call it obtuse.
It's obtuse, but people also tend to make it even more complicated by trying to make things 100% optimal.

Step 1: Throw a shitload of dwarves into the military. Make sure their squads use the default metal uniform.

Step 2: Change their training to be 2 or 3 at a time. On the military screen, go to the schedule, then edit order. Hit the minus key until it's 2 or 3 soldiers minimum. Hit shift-enter. Now copy the order, then go down the months and paste the new training order. You can also paste into the schedules of other squads. Escape out of the schedule screen, then go to the alerts screen. Make sure your military is set to Active/Training. (Although I've seen the military churn out legendary dwarves even when it was set to the Inactive alert, setting them to the Active alert makes them set up demonstrations & sparring so they improve faster.)

Step 3: Make a barracks somewhere. I prefer putting them outside so my militia doesn't get cave adapted. After making the barracks, make sure you hit t for each squad you want to train there. Dwarves don't seem to mind sharing a training area with other squads, but you can make more than one if you want.

Step 4: Make enough weapons/armor for all your military dwarves. Copper is poo poo, but better than nothing. Iron is good enough for just about everything. Bronze is roughly as good as iron. Steel is great if you have flux or are patient enough to buy it from the dwarven caravan(don't forget you can melt down their -steel toy boats-). Silver is good for war hammers and maces.The armor coverage system is obtuse and not explained in-game. Helmet/plate armor breastplate or chain mail(breastplates are better at soaking blunt damage, chain is better at soaking slashing damage & covers slightly more areas)/high boots/greaves/gauntlets/shield provides optimal coverage without loving with armor stacking. Make a variety of weapons - different weapons are good against different types of enemy.

Step 4.5: You may have to fiddle with the "over clothing/replace clothing" setting a bit if your dwarves won't wear a full armor outfit. Go to the military screen, then equip, then hit r to toggle the setting. Make sure you do this for the squads and each individual dwarf in them. Also make sure you have enough armor for each dwarf to have legs/feet/body covered, or else you'll have tantrums on your hands! (For that reason, I'd hold off on this step until you're sure you have an excess of armor)

Step 5: Sit back and watch as your bumbling idiots slowly turn into bumbling idiots who are good at killing stuff.

Step 6: If you have a thing that needs killing, hit s for squads, then move your cursor to the victim. Hit whatever key is associated with the squad you want to use(you can select more than one by using capital letters), then hit k for kill. If there's a lot of things that need killing, go to the squads menu, move your cursor to the general area of the enemy, select your squad(s), then hit m to move them there. Your militia will automatically engage hostiles that get too close to them.

See? Simple! :iit:

Seriously though, it's not peak efficiency, but it's good enough for 99% of the stuff you'll fight. It's also not that bad once you do it once or twice - the worst part is dealing with equipment, but mass producing standard sets of armor and toggling replace clothes/wear over clothes helps a lot.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 13, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

axelsoar posted:

I like this game and the silly stuff that comes from it, but I really don't get the weird masochistic 'fun' thing going on, I don't really like losing hours of progress because I can't wrap my head around some weird obtuse game mechanic. If I turn off invasions in the newbie pack thing, can I turn them back on later? And does that stop forgotten beasts/wandering were-assholes that have started a seemingly unending were-spiral in my fortress?

Turning off invaders doesn't turn off everything, no. Yes, later turning invaders back on will allow invaders to return.

I suggest making a custom world with easier settings to help you get the hang of the basics. I explained all the easy settings here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616403&pagenumber=125&perpage=40#post433494000 The most important settings for you are on the sixth screen, changing Titans, Demons, Vampire curse, Werebeast curse or Secrets (necromancer) types to "none" will eliminate those things from your world. As far as I know there is no way to turn off forgotten beasts, but since they only spawn in caverns you can keep them out just by walling off the caverns when you find them.

Specifically, if you want to avoid getting wrecked way too early I'd turn Titans, Werebeast curses and Secrets to none.
  • Titans are just forgotten beasts that live on the surface, there usually aren't very many of them in the world, but if you get unlucky and get one made of steel or something it can wreck your game. That is a challenge a newbie can do without.
  • Werebeasts as you've seen can quickly spiral out of control. They aren't actually hard to deal with once you are on your feet; you just wait for the first one to turn back into a naked human and kill it, then lock up your wounded (and wall them in) until the next full moon. Anyone who survives and doesn't turn is safe. If anyone turns, just never let them out of the room.
  • Necromancers (secrets) are either completely irrelevant if they aren't nearby, or a virtually guaranteed game over if they show up too soon. They can show up with a zombies that are wearing armor, and just one armored zombie can kill dozens of poorly equipped soldiers. Meanwhile the necromancer himself is reanimating the corpses and everything in your refuse pile and it's just a mess. Zombie apocalypse is a challenge for more experienced players.

Don't let the custom world settings intimidate you, it's not as bad as it looks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Haifisch posted:

Helmet/plate armor/high boots/greaves/gauntlets/shield provides optimal coverage.

Nope! Your dwarves need a chainmail to protect some parts from sharp stuff if you're not willing to change plate armor. Otherwise, their necks and upper arms are still exposed to attack! It's why the arena thread had plate armor modded by adding the UBSTEP:1 modifier to it.

my dad fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 13, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Haifisch posted:

Helmet/plate armor/high boots/greaves/gauntlets/shield provides optimal coverage. Make a variety of weapons - different weapons are good against different types of enemy.

Not quite -- there's no such item as "plate armor," and breastplates without also having mail shirts leaves a couple of vulnerable areas. You want both, and possibly cloaks as well for the added neck protection.

efb

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I know you can make dwarves wear more than one mail shirt, but is there any reason to?

Also apparently Breastplates are better at soaking Blunt Damage than Mail shirts. Though I haven't really found a list of what armour is good at soaking and what it isn't beyond that.

Fans fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 13, 2015

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is there a way of having the game pause on combat, or at least display a big, gently caress off alert? I always miss the message and end up not seeing the show.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fans posted:

I know you can make dwarves wear more than one mail shirt, but is there any reason to?

Also apparently Breastplates are better at soaking Blunt Damage than Mail shirts. Though I haven't really found a list of what armour is good at soaking and what it isn't beyond that.

Yes, more shirts does provide more protection.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

Turning off invaders doesn't turn off everything, no. Yes, later turning invaders back on will allow invaders to return.

I suggest making a custom world with easier settings to help you get the hang of the basics. I explained all the easy settings here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616403&pagenumber=125&perpage=40#post433494000 The most important settings for you are on the sixth screen, changing Titans, Demons, Vampire curse, Werebeast curse or Secrets (necromancer) types to "none" will eliminate those things from your world. As far as I know there is no way to turn off forgotten beasts, but since they only spawn in caverns you can keep them out just by walling off the caverns when you find them.

Specifically, if you want to avoid getting wrecked way too early I'd turn Titans, Werebeast curses and Secrets to none.
  • Titans are just forgotten beasts that live on the surface, there usually aren't very many of them in the world, but if you get unlucky and get one made of steel or something it can wreck your game. That is a challenge a newbie can do without.
  • Werebeasts as you've seen can quickly spiral out of control. They aren't actually hard to deal with once you are on your feet; you just wait for the first one to turn back into a naked human and kill it, then lock up your wounded (and wall them in) until the next full moon. Anyone who survives and doesn't turn is safe. If anyone turns, just never let them out of the room.
  • Necromancers (secrets) are either completely irrelevant if they aren't nearby, or a virtually guaranteed game over if they show up too soon. They can show up with a zombies that are wearing armor, and just one armored zombie can kill dozens of poorly equipped soldiers. Meanwhile the necromancer himself is reanimating the corpses and everything in your refuse pile and it's just a mess. Zombie apocalypse is a challenge for more experienced players.

Don't let the custom world settings intimidate you, it's not as bad as it looks.

Unless that setting has changed in 40.xx turning invaders off means nothing evil will show up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not quite -- there's no such item as "plate armor," and breastplates without also having mail shirts leaves a couple of vulnerable areas. You want both, and possibly cloaks as well for the added neck protection.

efb
The idea was for your militia to be good enough without fiddling with poo poo like armor stacking & making new uniforms. Things are confusing enough for new players without having to walk them through that on top of scheduling/making a barracks/ordering the militia to kill things. Good catch on the plate armor vs breastplate, though.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 13, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I get that the militia screen is obtuse and weird but idk apart from random bug outs it's not that impenetrable.

Create a squad, assign the metal uniform, assign dwarves. Assign a barracks, set them to train there, schedule them to train (the number of dwarves set to train should be 2-3 less than the actual number in the squad so they can take breaks), activate the schedule. Use the squad menu to tell them where to go.

That is sufficient for 95% of problems. Yeah you can armor stack and minmax dwarf stats once you know what you're doing but it's not really necessary as the combat skill reaches quite quickly (a year or two of sparring in most cases) and a squad of legendary dwarves will pretty much kill anything that isn't a web shooter barring some freak luck.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 13, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So I'm a little stumped.

I've been building an extensive system of docks out to sea but the waves kept bothering me. So i totally walled in my docks. They even have a nice ceiling.

Waves still get in. In fact they spawn right in the middle of my dock. Is there a way to fix this?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
How many docks do you see built at water level? They are raised precisely for the wave reason, and also because boats extend up out of the water a ways. Build your pathways at Z+1 and if you absolutely must put access to Z=0, add stairwells to the sides that you can build down off it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Wait, can you actually do things with docks these days, or are they just some place else for fisherdwarves to sit?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

darthbob88 posted:

Wait, can you actually do things with docks these days, or are they just some place else for fisherdwarves to sit?

I build dock-only forts where everything is suspended over the water made from wood/glass

I have no idea why i do this I don't even care about the aesthetics

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I just killed a chinchilla by chopping down a tree

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

I Love You! posted:

I build dock-only forts where everything is suspended over the water made from wood/glass

I have no idea why i do this I don't even care about the aesthetics

Did you watch WaterWorld recently?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hihohe posted:

I just killed a chinchilla by chopping down a tree

That poor chinchilla. :ohdear: What did it ever do to you?

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
In my first game after multilevel tree's were added my hunter got scared by a wombat, climbed a tree and fell off the top branch dying instantly. This was all within 5 minutes of striking the earth

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Good news, my adventurer found a vault and killed a War Angel made of ice, bad news there's a lot more War Angels made out of stuff that isn't ice and they can regularly crush important body parts of mine without arms or legs. I wish I had a bunch of silver blocks that I could throw at them or something.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Is there any decent way to kill off buzzards that are flying around the outside of my tower making life miserable for everyone? I have no idea how to deal with these fuckers since they're way the hell up in the air being dicks. I'd build a ceiling but they keep interrupting my construction by being kind of scary.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I Love You! posted:

Is there any decent way to kill off buzzards that are flying around the outside of my tower making life miserable for everyone? I have no idea how to deal with these fuckers since they're way the hell up in the air being dicks. I'd build a ceiling but they keep interrupting my construction by being kind of scary.

Will dwarves shoot arrows up?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

I Love You! posted:

This is one of the problems of embarking on "wild" regions, you would need to train soldiers archers or maybe have some dedicated hunters. I mostly try to ignore this until I build my first squad, that is generally only archers, and set up full time patrols around the entrance.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
No matter what I do, Rangers never seem to actually hunt. They worked fine in older version but now they just stand around doing nothing. Is there something im missing or are Rangers just super lazy now?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
They probably just lack marksman skills, so they will have a harder time killing them birds. Also see if their jobs are correctly set, also check if they have ammo, etc.

Edit: I say all of this because I also had these problems on my wild embark recently, but I tried to kill the wild birds with a squad, so I was able to actually see my markdwarfs missing their target first hand, so I knew it was lack of skill. Also my rangers would eventually hurt the birds badly but not be able to finish it for a long time. It takes time to build skill if you didn't embark with a good marksman to begin with.

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 15, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

program666 posted:

They probably just lack marksman skills.

Nope. Has decent marks skills, quiver, bolts, uniform, bow, etc.

Any ranger i have that immigrate never do anything. No one I assign to the job ever does anything. I've never seen a ranger hunt under any circumstances.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Do you have ammo lying around, preferably outside bins? Check the the ammunition tab in the military screen, does the hunter category still have its default permission to claim 100 or 200 bolts? If it does, has the hunter pool actually claimed any bolts for its own use (listed on the right side)?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

scamtank posted:

Do you have ammo lying around, preferably outside bins? Check the the ammunition tab in the military screen, does the hunter category still have its default permission to claim 100 or 200 bolts? If it does, has the hunter pool actually claimed any bolts for its own use (listed on the right side)?

Yes to all the above. It's ok I guess, hunting is dumb anyway.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is there a way to make hunters use other weapons like spears? I never thought about it before, but it would be nice if you could have a hunter be a spear chucker.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I don't know how version updates have changed things, but hunting has always been very hit or miss. I had one fortress years ago where one ranger would hunt with their giant pack of trained dogs, and every other hunter would just have No Job constantly. More recently I've had a fort where every ranger would hunt every last thing on the map until they were hospitalized for their injuries, collapsed from exhaustion in the middle of the hunt (and were often killed by their prey), or until they tried to chase something over or into water and drowned. It was glorious and ridiculous, but I have no loving clue how to make that happen again.

If you need things killed for sure, the military is still a safer bet.

And to the above, don't hunters still just use whatever their personal preference or military gear is set to? I could swear that making dorfs hunt with axes was as easy as drafting them as an axedorf, making them carry their own equipment at all times, and then just turning them off active duty forever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think now hunters have their own military equipment set, same with miners and lumberjacks. That means you can't have your miners and lumberjacks wear armor while doing their jobs sadly

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Been a long time since I actually ran a fort, good to see I've still got the touch.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

MORGEN LOGEN DEVELOPISCHEN

Toady One posted:

I mentioned in some Future of the Fortress or other that ethics and values don't instantly assimilate when you grant resident or citizen status to a visitor that petitions to stay at your fortress, and that we'd make sure to have some definite evidence of that fact. I started by diversifying the "work satisfaction" thought by feeding in the job type and filtering it through the individual. In particular, any elves that have the misfortune of signing up for dwarven life can now emotionally process the experiences of tree felling, butchery and animal caging. We trust you'll respect this new situation in your labor settings.

:unsmigghh:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I haven't touched this game in nearly a year (played a bit after the first 2014 update), have there been any major changes to the game or major mod improvements since then? I downloaded the PeridexisErrant Starter Pack, is that still the standard recommendation?

Also, is there an easier way to find a site with flux, iron and coal than to do "prospect all" in DFHack a million times before embarking? Or has trade improved enough that I can perhaps import some of those things rather than have to dig up my own supply of everything?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Coal isn't really necessary anymore. With the changes to trees you'll probably have more wood than you know what to do with (make charcoal out of it) unless you embark in a desert/glacier/tundra.

For any sort of minerals, you can turn down the mineral scarcity setting in the advanced worldgen. Turning down volcanism may help you find more flux, as most flux stones are sedimentary.

You can probably get enough iron to make a decent amount of steel stuff via imports and goblincide. Unless you need to clad everything in stainless steel flooring, you should be fine. Don't forget that you can melt down iron/steel trade goods and stuff!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

bahahaha come on Toady let me enslave elves and make them work at my lumber mill, yesssssss

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

scamtank posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2015: Those that have the misfortune of signing up for dwarven life can now emotionally process the experience
Maybe a bit long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Elf Torture Gulag 2015