Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I really wanted to like that show, however about half way through it became a pain to put up with. Like I get what happened but did the MC really need to become an insufferable dickhead, and then he is just gets married after being a total douche? It felt broken after the mindbreak episode

I actually kind of liked it, since the way that space fucks people up psychologically and physically was a major theme, and having the MC turn into an rear end in a top hat because of it was a good way to drive the point home but I can see why people complained. It probably could have been handled better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

I actually kind of liked it, since the way that space fucks people up psychologically and physically was a major theme, and having the MC turn into an rear end in a top hat because of it was a good way to drive the point home but I can see why people complained. It probably could have been handled better.

I would have been fine with that if it didn't waste so many episodes reestablishing the point when we clearly got it. However, if it had 2 seasons then the length would have probably felt fine.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I really wanted to like that show, however about half way through it became a pain to put up with. Like I get what happened but did the MC really need to become an insufferable dickhead, and then he is just gets married after being a total douche? It felt broken after the mindbreak episode
There's a third of the story missing. Read the manga.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Guyver posted:

There's a third of the story missing. Read the manga.

Yeah I don't read manga, I just watch anime.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah I don't read manga, I just watch anime.

Way back when, reading the Planetes manga after watching the anime was one of the first I ever read.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Necronomoticon posted:

who's to say I can't do both? I was rewatching it with a friend that got kicked out of his parents house, and around episode 13 he just started snoring on my couch like an rear end in a top hat that can't get invested in steins;gate.

A shameful friend.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I watched Gargantia on the Verdunous Planet on a whim between yesterday and today. It was up on Netflix and absolutely nothing about it made me decide to watch it other than a Mecha in the promo art.

Hot drat, like your Hard Sci-fi, O'Neil Cylinders, wormhole travel, pew pew lasers, nanomachines, AI and mopey Mecha pilots? How about smashing that together with an Earth-Eons-From-Now-Waterworld setting except done totally right? No piss-drinking jetski pilots. Mostly.

That's Gargantia. It's only 13 episodes and if you've ever enjoyed a semi-serious sci-fi setting (PLANETES, Knights of Sidonia, etc) this is right up your alley.

I loved the way that Leto couldn't speak any Earth and required constant translation, but slowly picked it up. It wasn't over one episode, oh hello I speak earth today! but over most of the series. Some words here and there, some sentences, short conver sations, then suddenly it's not a thing anymore.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I rather enjoyed Gargantia but most folks around here didn't. I don't think it's much like Planetes but it is like a light gundam with some uroboshi mixed in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I need some anime recommendations because I've run out of Universal Century gundam to watch and if I watch any more gundam I'll probably kill myself. Typically I like horror I guess, but I haven't seen a whole lot of actual horror anime out there, suspense and thriller type stuff is great too. I also love giant robots as unrelated to more serious genres as it tends to be. Not a fan of comedy anime though.
To list some stuff I've liked a ton since that probably gives a better example of my tastes; Mushishi, Requiem from the Darkness, Baccano, Shin Mazinger Z and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I've also read but not watched Planetes, Blade of the Immortal and Berserk.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nuebot posted:

I need some anime recommendations because I've run out of Universal Century gundam to watch and if I watch any more gundam I'll probably kill myself. Typically I like horror I guess, but I haven't seen a whole lot of actual horror anime out there, suspense and thriller type stuff is great too. I also love giant robots as unrelated to more serious genres as it tends to be. Not a fan of comedy anime though.
To list some stuff I've liked a ton since that probably gives a better example of my tastes; Mushishi, Requiem from the Darkness, Baccano, Shin Mazinger Z and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I've also read but not watched Planetes, Blade of the Immortal and Berserk.

I hear Parasyte's good. I've only read the manga but I've heard the anime is solid too.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 16, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh, I completely forgot to list that one! It was good, actually and if you liked the manga you should check out the show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well there's also Mononoke. It's solid too if you want something more episodic like Mushishi. Just a note about Mononoke though is that it has 3 episodes that show up prior to the actual series as the last 3 episodes of Ayakashi. Not necessary to watch them, but it does introduce a character who shows up again in the series.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 16, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuebot posted:

You might like some of Chiaki J. Konaka's stuff. Ghost Hound, Big O, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze.

Digimon Tamers.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Betterman is a horror show with giant robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfPxw1_asHc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Allarion posted:

Well there's also Mononoke. It's solid too if you want something more episodic like Mushishi. Just a note about Mononoke though is that it has 3 episodes that show up prior to the actual series as the last 3 episodes of Ayakashi. Not necessary to watch them, but it does introduce a character who shows up again in the series.

Thanks a ton! Checking both those out now, Ayakashi looks like it might be something cool too.

Guyver posted:

Betterman is a horror show with giant robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfPxw1_asHc

I watched this because I loved Gao Gai Gar. I was disappointed.

Endorph posted:

You might like some of Chiaki J. Konaka's stuff. Ghost Hound, Big O, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze.

Digimon Tamers.
Tamers was a trip, I need to re-watch it without the delays and repeats the dub kept having, especially since I've got this weird digimon fix going on and am replaying one of the RPGs at the moment. Big O is great too, seen the dub of that too. I'll have to check out the others you recommended!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big O and Tamers were his biggest works, probably, so I figured you might have seen them. Of his more obscure stuff, I'd definitely recommend Lain as the best of the lot.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuebot posted:

Have you seen Boogiepop Phantom?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nuebot posted:

Well, go watch Planetes and Berserk definitely. Have you watched Monster yet?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Nuebot posted:

When they Cry is the only horror anime I can think of.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nuebot posted:

Typically I like horror I guess, but I haven't seen a whole lot of actual horror anime out there, suspense and thriller type stuff is great too.
Shiki is a good horror series with the added element of terrifying non-Euclidian hairstyles.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

terrifying non-Euclidian hairstyles.

idk why but trying to imagine this is making me laugh super hard.

Nuebot posted:

My standard recs for someone who mentions liking Mushishi are Kino's Journey and the already mentioned Mononoke. Since you're looking for horror, Mononoke would be right up your alley.

Konaka is also a good rec. I can personally attest that Lain and Texhnolyze are both drat good.

Also, you might as well follow up Baccano with Durarara. The first season is not quite as good as Baccano, but the second season is - dare I say it - arguably better than Baccano. The second half of the second season starts this summer so it'd be good timing.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

Paracelsus posted:

terrifying non-Euclidian hairstyles.

same.

also just popping in to say steins gate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Paracelsus posted:

Shiki is a good horror series with the added element of terrifying non-Euclidian hairstyles.

Linked for those who would rather not lose their sanity by staring into the abyss be surprised:

http://i.imgur.com/h6EAS0U.jpg

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Necronomoticon posted:

same.

also just popping in to say steins gate.

Is it better to watch Steins Gate or play the game because I haven't done either and there's a Vita version out this month

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

Help Im Alive posted:

Is it better to watch Steins Gate or play the game because I haven't done either and there's a Vita version out this month

i know nothing about the game since the only way the English version is currently available is through shady-looking websites for purchase and slightly less shady-looking websites for torrents.

I'll probably be getting the PSN version soon, but I'd definitely watch the series. the English dub is fine and they rewrite some pop culture references in some :catstare: ways.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Linked for those who would rather not lose their sanity by staring into the abyss be surprised:

http://i.imgur.com/h6EAS0U.jpg

This is even better than I imagined. :allears:

Help Im Alive posted:

Both. I have watched the dub (twice), the sub (twice), and played the game a have not been disappointed at any time while doing so.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

This is even better than I imagined. :allears:
The Mountain Pass has to be seen in motion to begin to glimpse the unfathomable realms it is a gateway to.

Keep some laudanum handy to blot out your memory when it becomes too much to bear.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Necronomoticon posted:

i know nothing about the game since the only way the English version is currently available is through shady-looking websites for purchase and slightly less shady-looking websites for torrents.

I'll probably be getting the PSN version soon, but I'd definitely watch the series. the English dub is fine and they rewrite some pop culture references in some :catstare: ways.

It's currently available as a physical copy on RightStuf or Amazon, which as you know are incredibly shady-looking websites, but also available from the actual distributor cheaper as a physical or download edition.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

The anime is good, but with the game easily obtainable legally in English, there's no reason not to play it instead, the art style is gorgeous and they couldn't replicate it in the anime at all. The anime also lacks alot of Okabe's internal monologues which give him alot of character.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

personal opinion is that the directorial flairs and general trimming make the anime better overall.

the art style is a big loss though

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the real takeaway is that there is no consensus and you should really just decide if you'd rather play a VN or watch an anime

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

video games for life

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So, I've read Pluto, played Omega Factor, read some assorted Tezuka manga and I'm interested in watching some Astro Boy anime.
Which version should I watch? I know there's three, at least- the old black and white one, the 80s one, and the 2003 one. Which is most worth my time? Are any of them crap I should avoid?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Just posting back to say that I've started watching Ayakashi, just finished the first story, and I love it already. Can't wait to finish this and see what Mononoke is like!

EDIT: Well that last bit was loving heart breaking.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 17, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If I want to start reading the Watamote manga and have already watched the show, where should I start?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Volume 1

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Hmm? Did the show not cover vol 1? Or are you suggesting I should just read the show's material again cuz its that good?

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Convince me to keep watching LOGH. I got up to episode 16 or 18. I read some spoilers that the two main dudes never meet and also read on the wikia that not much happens with Yang, the blue haired friend of the none Kaiser protagaonist.. Both things bummed me out about continuing the show and I dropped it since.

Edit: Dusty,not Yang.

LolitaSama fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 19, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

none of that post is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LolitaSama posted:

Convince me to keep watching LOGH. I got up to episode 16 or 18. I read some spoilers that the two main dudes never meet and also read on the wikia that not much happens with Yang, the blue haired friend of the none Kaiser protagaonist.. Both things bummed me out about continuing the show and I dropped it since.

Edit: Dusty,not Yang.

You really ought to keep watching dude. All of LOGH is pretty loving good. Not necessarily the best anime ever, but it's really up there. Get your sources checked because that information in this post is just flat out wrong, to an outrageous degree even.

Don't necessarily believe everything you hear on the internet. Investigate poo poo a little further next time to see if you're not being bullshitted because holy poo poo I haven't seen that much wrong in a post in a long time. Especially when it comes to poo poo like wikias, anyone can edit those and their quality varies incredibly. So please, keep on watching LOGH, post about your experience in the thread even, that's been a thing people do for years and it's always good to see a new perspective on it.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 19, 2015

• Locked thread