Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

moonsour posted:

On the other hand you have a better chance of getting bit by a shark than catching rabies from an opossum* (I don't know the real statistic). It can't survive in their body. So you could do much worse when it comes to wild animals that won't leave the backyard.

**They are still wild animals and should never be treated as pets or intentionally fed.

Yeah, I've heard Opossums cannot give you rabies, but they're still wild animals and should be treated that way. I think I've mentioned in thread before how when I first met my now ex-wife her family had an outdoor cat that at night would hang out in the rather small back yard by a sliding glass door and like, eat the food they left out for her and stuff. By the second night I was there I had noticed that the cat had a possum buddy that would hang out with it, sharing the food. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

"Who am I REALLY?"

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Speaking of possums.... [source: http://ranetree.tumblr.com/post/118894789199/ive-had-so-many-people-say-that-working-in ]

"I’ve had so many people say that working in wildlife rehab has made them hate people, but honestly, after last night’s shift, I think I love them a little bit more.
A woman came in at 2:30 this morning with a dead possum. The car in front of her had struck the creature and killed it; when she stopped to check on it, she discovered it was a female with a pouch full of joeys. She looked up rehabbers in Maryland, found our number, called us to say she was bringing the possums in, and then drove two hours to bring them to us. She got pulled over twice for speeding, but each time, the trooper let her go with a warning–all she had to do was show them the dead possum in her trunk and tell them where she was taking it, and they waved her on.
Ten baby possums now have a chance at life that they didn’t have before, thanks to this woman’s quick thinking and dedication.
If you’re ever driving and hit a possum, or see another car hit one, please check for joeys if you can. (I realize not everyone has a strong enough stomach–this particular mama possum was pretty hard to look at.) If you find some, contact your local wildlife rehabber and ask for instructions!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Yes that mirror does make you look fat...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"I really need to get it together. Hit the gym and lose some weight... Maybe go back to school."

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

That catte needs a hug. :smith:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

*Hurt by Johnny Cash plays in the background*

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Bumblefuck! posted:

Went back to the shelter to meet some of the recent acquisitions.

Here's Crackerjack, yelling at me for doing anything other than petting him.

He is the evil/good, short-haired twin to my adopted girl-cat Pikkukoira...

King Kambrook
Feb 14, 2012
I'm having a lovely day because I've been sick as balls all week and now my housemate's hosed off for the weekend and left a disgusting mess in the kitchen.

Does anybody have any adorable stingrays to cheer me up? Or cute turtles? Or cute cephalopods? Just cute marine animals in general.

Like this feller:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

King Kambrook posted:

I'm having a lovely day because I've been sick as balls all week and now my housemate's hosed off for the weekend and left a disgusting mess in the kitchen.

Does anybody have any adorable stingrays to cheer me up? Or cute turtles? Or cute cephalopods? Just cute marine animals in general.

Like this feller:

Only one I have on hand right away, but it's a good one! :kimchi:

Includes a nurse prawn.

Here's my impression of an octopus for you: ^wwww^

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Bumblefuck! posted:

Kitty Big Paws loves to be held, which, due to his aforementioned hugeness, is almost always awkward and difficult.

Give him to me he's perfect. :3:

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

King Kambrook posted:

Like this feller:

The BBC is showing a whole series about sharks at the moment and this week's episode had a lot of rays in it, including giant manta rays hanging out in groups and jumping out of the water: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05vj8hq

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

King Kambrook posted:

Like this feller:

I haven't got any stingrays or cephalopods but can I interest you in a majestic marine mammal?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Koivunen posted:

He is the evil/good, short-haired twin to my adopted girl-cat Pikkukoira...

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
:cthulhu:WHEEEEEEEEEE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biuoagnGCFQ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bumblefuck! posted:

Kitty Big Paws loves to be held, which, due to his aforementioned hugeness, is almost always awkward and difficult.

Want me a Kitty Big Paws hug.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpck14U-CMc

flap flap flap flap flap

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Octopuses are awesome.

...holy poo poo, that's lethal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Holy poo poo, you need to warn people before you unleash something like that on them. :suspense:.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 18:43 on May 16, 2015

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Wedemeyer posted:

Speaking of possums.... [source: http://ranetree.tumblr.com/post/118894789199/ive-had-so-many-people-say-that-working-in ]

"I’ve had so many people say that working in wildlife rehab has made them hate people, but honestly, after last night’s shift, I think I love them a little bit more.
A woman came in at 2:30 this morning with a dead possum. The car in front of her had struck the creature and killed it; when she stopped to check on it, she discovered it was a female with a pouch full of joeys. She looked up rehabbers in Maryland, found our number, called us to say she was bringing the possums in, and then drove two hours to bring them to us. She got pulled over twice for speeding, but each time, the trooper let her go with a warning–all she had to do was show them the dead possum in her trunk and tell them where she was taking it, and they waved her on.
Ten baby possums now have a chance at life that they didn’t have before, thanks to this woman’s quick thinking and dedication.
If you’re ever driving and hit a possum, or see another car hit one, please check for joeys if you can. (I realize not everyone has a strong enough stomach–this particular mama possum was pretty hard to look at.) If you find some, contact your local wildlife rehabber and ask for instructions!"

I was housesitting for a colleague a couple years ago, and his dog went after a possum on her bedtime backyard break -- she killed it before I could get her away and into the house. When I went out the next morning, I could hear a weird sound coming from that corner of the backyard, and realised it was possum babies. I had no idea what to do, it was July and going up to 105F that day, and got online trying to find someone to help.

My county's wildlife person was on leave, but they called the guy from the next county over who immediately jumped into his truck and drove the 60 miles to me, rescued the two babies, and took them another 20 odd miles to the rehab centre. I'd been really upset, but matey was gruff but kind. When he was loading them into a special cubby in his truck, I asked him, 'Are you really going to take them to a wildlife centre, this isn't one of these "And they'll have a bid farm to play on!" dealies?' He just sighed at that point, then chuckled, and said they really were going to a wildlife centre.

If I had to use a pop culture ref to describe him, it was like having Rom Swanson come and rescue possum babies...the wildlife lady I'd talked to originally called me back a week or so later and said the babies were doing fine. :3:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

omg they're cuttling :haw:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Bumblefuck! posted:

My mom has a pretty big cat, and what we do is pick him up so that you're supporting his back legs and butt, and his front paws are on your shoulder and he's facing behind you. You can then pet his back and neck, and probably get affectionate headbutts.

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

Good news/bad news, guys. The bad news is I won't be able to get any more pics or video of Kitty Big Paws :(. The good news is that it's because he was just adopted by a very nice vet tech, who will most certainly give him a great home :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's the best kinda bad news to get :)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Bumblefuck! posted:

Good news/bad news, guys. The bad news is I won't be able to get any more pics or video of Kitty Big Paws :(. The good news is that it's because he was just adopted by a very nice vet tech, who will most certainly give him a great home :)

:yayclod:
Do you know this vet tech personally? Could you for example get pics of Kitty Big Paws from them?

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

Beardless posted:

:yayclod:
Do you know this vet tech personally? Could you for example get pics of Kitty Big Paws from them?

Unfortunately, no, she was just a customer who dropped by and fell in love with him. I'll try to make up for it with lots of pictures of the other adorable cats.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Amidst the stupidity and flame wars of the Idiots on Social Media thread, a lone beam of light shines through:

CrotchDropJeans posted:

On a more cheerful note, a friend of mine has two little dogs, and for the past few weeks he's posted the dogs have been terrified to go on the deck or in the side yard and he couldn't figure out why. Today he found the answer:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Requesting the video that was basically this but with a silly voiceover that gave the octopus some kinda cockneyish accent as he scavenges for coconuts.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Neurion posted:

Requesting the video that was basically this but with a silly voiceover that gave the octopus some kinda cockneyish accent as he scavenges for coconuts.

'Ere ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDab2mX5mXA

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I tell you, this thread proves that all animal shelters need to do is post their guests on SA, and there'll be someone that wants to adopt each and every one of the animals immediately.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
A boy and his chicken.

And the sequel. But a twist! The chicken's boy has been replaced by a possible impostor! Or has he??
http://i.imgur.com/l6J6OzF.gifv

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't know why this video of a cockatoo yelling into a cup makes me laugh so much, but it does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsfOGJ5lZg

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My friend just sent me a pic. This is why he can't sit back down on the couch when he gets up, cause SOMEONE has to stretch out.

Imagine how much room he'd take up if he had all 4 legs.

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

Stopped by the shelter to do a little IT work, and thought I'd bring back some more pictures!

This is Sweet Pea. She's not feeling to well right now, but she's getting better!

Here's Romeo, who just got a lovely summer hairdo!

And here's Slade, who is quite handsome.

Choco1980 posted:

I tell you, this thread proves that all animal shelters need to do is post their guests on SA, and there'll be someone that wants to adopt each and every one of the animals immediately.

Well, you may be right about that, because I have another good news/bad news situation; our beloved Frankie has been adopted!

As you can tell, she's as thrilled as she has ever been. She doesn't go out until Monday, so I will try to get as many pictures/videos as possible before she leaves.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Puppies come in loaves now?!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Bumblefuck! posted:

Here's Romeo, who just got a lovely summer hairdo!

It's like he's wearing CatUggs :3:

King Kambrook
Feb 14, 2012
Thank you everybody for the cute marine animals.

Here's one of my favourite stingray videos that demonstrates why I'd love to have a land-based one as a pet. It'd be like having a huge flappy blanket to cuddle with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3xmjdrk2wE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Choco1980 posted:

A shelter recently did professional photo shoots for their animals, and all the dogs got adopted. :3:
Here

• Locked thread