Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

It's so loving dumb but I genuinely loved that part of Dragonball Z.

To me it's hilarious because he started making these robots like years and years ago or something yet when they are done they are at an appropriate power level to be a threat to post-namek Goku and pals. Should have been some poo poo like TREMBLE BEFORE THE MIGHT OF MY MACHINES, DECADES IN THE MAKING and they're like the power level equivalent to a wood grain Atari or something because poo poo old man we've been leveling up like a motherfucker while you were in the science cave or whatever the gently caress. I don't remember the details I'm probably way off on some poo poo.

Like, these robots were already well into development before Vegeta even showed up right? Could have busted them out then and murdered the gently caress out of the Saiyans then and saved the world or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

To me it's hilarious because he started making these robots like years and years ago or something yet when they are done they are at an appropriate power level to be a threat to post-namek Goku and pals. Should have been some poo poo like TREMBLE BEFORE THE MIGHT OF MY MACHINES, DECADES IN THE MAKING and they're like the power level equivalent to a wood grain Atari or something because poo poo old man we've been leveling up like a motherfucker while you were in the science cave or whatever the gently caress. I don't remember the details I'm probably way off on some poo poo.

Like, these robots were already well into development before Vegeta even showed up right? Could have busted them out then and murdered the gently caress out of the Saiyans then and saved the world or whatever.

Dude was aiming to curbstomp Saiyan-arc Goku and pals, but when he finally got to that point, he was a level appropriate challenge. Funny how that works.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I dunno

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

They definitely got the "unintelligible lovely scanlation" writing style down, I'll give them that.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

(source)

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

These are legit beautiful.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

mind the walrus posted:

It's so loving dumb but I genuinely loved that part of Dragonball Z.

I'm actually curious because it's my favorite dumb anime plot line and I have an unhealthy love of every media where it shows up. What's the origin of the 'kid from the post apocalyptic future comes back in time to help their parents avoid an upcoming disaster' plotline?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Vorpal Cat posted:

I'm actually curious because it's my favorite dumb anime plot line and I have an unhealthy love of every media where it shows up. What's the origin of the 'kid from the post apocalyptic future comes back in time to help their parents avoid an upcoming disaster' plotline?

Probablly not the first instance, but Terminator?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Angrymog posted:

Probablly not the first instance, but Terminator?

It's close and I'm almost sure it was the inspection for the cliche. But I feel there's a definite thematic difference between the parent going back in time to save their kid in the future and the kid going back in time to save their future parents. Namely the later leads to far more stupid sitcom hijinks, which I feel is a core part of the trope.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vorpal Cat posted:

I want to say it's a combination of the plots of Back to the Future and Terminator. The dates line up, since both are Eighties films and most of the examples (Trunks, Cable, etc.) are from the Nineties. That, or Cable himself is the source.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Light Gun Man posted:

No, he started working on them after the fight with Vegeta. That's why they were so strong, 'cause he saw the strength multiplying Kaioken and Giant Monkey poo poo go down and built to compensate.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

To me it's hilarious because he started making these robots like years and years ago or something yet when they are done they are at an appropriate power level to be a threat to post-namek Goku and pals.

No, the funniest part is that he made them into machines against their will AND gave them bodies stronger than his own robot one. Didn't exactly think that all the way through, Gero.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Weird/Awesome Fanart Strikes Back: OH CRAP. IT'S NOT COOL AT ALL.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

I'm imagining Professor Farnsworth in Raiden's place during Mortal Kombat 9 and it is too good. Also, Neon Genesis Frizzlegelion:

The best part by far is :black101: Phoebe.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

No, he started working on them after the fight with Vegeta. That's why they were so strong, 'cause he saw the strength multiplying Kaioken and Giant Monkey poo poo go down and built to compensate.

For some reason I thought it was one of those things where he went underground with a box of robot parts back at the end of Dragon Ball and didn't come out until after Namek.

Mokinokaro posted:

No, the funniest part is that he made them into machines against their will AND gave them bodies stronger than his own robot one. Didn't exactly think that all the way through, Gero.

Yes, that is an incredibly poorly thought out plan indeed. Too much sun on his brain maybe.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wouldn't the turtle's girlfriend be more appropriate as Medic?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm imagining Professor Farnsworth in Raiden's place during Mortal Kombat 9 and it is too good.

Good news, everyone! Only 3 more main characters have to die to restore the timeline!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I can imagine the pyro going out and enjoying a nice time noodling.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Supersonic Shine posted:

Neon Genesis Schoolbus

I'm in love

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I swear the artist has modeled "Jesse" here on someone because that face seems really familiar but I cannot for the life of me think who it is.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Every artwork by that person feels exactly the same and I find it very boring.

Jon Zyetta
May 6, 2003
Your Bargaining Posture Is Highly Dubious

Who is this and why do I have a bonerohgodpleasedontsayitsJessicaRabbit.

:catstare:

Jon Zyetta
May 6, 2003
Your Bargaining Posture Is Highly Dubious

Captain Fargle posted:

I swear the artist has modeled "Jesse" here on someone because that face seems really familiar but I cannot for the life of me think who it is.

Michael J Fox circa Back to the Future?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jon Zyetta posted:

Umm, I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is the one that does it for me. My brother and I got a lot of mileage out of the caulking gun in the imagination department.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Captain Fargle posted:

First guy I thought of.

e: Just noticed: I love how from top to bottom, he seems to steadily decrease in muscle mass.

For reference

And who didn't love Hexxus?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Somewhere in the dark and nasty regions, where nobody goes, stands an ancient castle. Deep within this dank and uninviting place lives...

:stare:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

This is the one that does it for me. My brother and I got a lot of mileage out of the caulking gun in the imagination department.

For me it's this one from his facebook page. My entire gang of friends would get together to do this once a summer... except we used waterballoons :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paladinus posted:

Somewhere in the dark and nasty regions, where nobody goes, stands an ancient castle. Deep within this dank and uninviting place lives...

:stare:

Trapdoor fan art, I can finally die happy.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Jon Zyetta posted:

It's totally Jessica Rabbit. The artist's whole schtick is genderbent or humanized of animal characters so the fairy guy doesn't fit. The purple gloves and microphone really give it away.
Edit: Even bigger giveaway is the jacket, compare it to her dress.

hazardousmouse has a new favorite as of 20:24 on May 16, 2015

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I didn't say it was the fairy dude. I was helping Fargle pinpoint why "Jesse's" face looked familiar.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

Every artwork by that person feels exactly the same and I find it very boring.

She foud a niche for high quality fan art pinups. It's not exactly high art, but it brings in money and the pieces that aren't creepy are kinda fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dogwood Fleet posted:

She foud a niche for high quality fan art pinups. It's not exactly high art, but it brings in money and the pieces that aren't creepy are kinda fun.

I mean there are much worse things you could be drawing.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean there are much worse things you could be drawing.

Oh God, is this done by the guy from that one Minecraft thread?

I hope it is, because I refuse to believe there's more than one. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread