Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

fatherdog posted:

Are you also trying your laptop in your house?

Yes. Otherwise, I'd immediately look at the laptop as being the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

outlier posted:

Do you have access to the messages file and/or /var/log/secure on your webserver?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

outlier posted:

Based on what you've said, this has to be an IP block from somewhere. It's possible your image came with denyhosts or fail2ban running by default, and you failed to log in too many times when you were first standing it up. It won't be iptables, but it's definitely something that sshd is checking after you've successfully connected and shared RSA fingerprints.

Check ~/.ssh/authorized_keys to see if there's anything in there. Check /etc/hosts.deny. Check /var/log/messages for anything after your failed login attempt. See if denyhosts or fail2ban are installed, and check their config files to see where they keep their failed login data to see if your home IP is in there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Are you sure you're connected to your own wifi and not some rando nearby public access point?

Is this the default SSH configuration on your AMI? If so, which one are you running?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Yup, it's definitely my home wifi.

The only thing I changed about the SSH config on the server was the port.

I did have denyhosts running but shut it off a while ago because it kept blocking me. (Ha!) Does denyhosts patch iptables possibly be lingering around?

I do have fail2ban running, but it stores everything in hosts.deny, doesn't it?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

outlier posted:

Yup, it's definitely my home wifi.

The only thing I changed about the SSH config on the server was the port.

I did have denyhosts running but shut it off a while ago because it kept blocking me. (Ha!) Does denyhosts patch iptables possibly be lingering around?

I do have fail2ban running, but it stores everything in hosts.deny, doesn't it?

Both of those depend on configuration. In general, you'd get denied in preauth or dropped packets to 22, though. The way it's happening sounds like PAM. What does /etc/pam.d/ssh look like?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Oh hey, Thats a strange IP. I've never seen that subnet before!

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
While I don't advocate using these for anything remotely resembling a proper linux environment, on the few AWS instances I maintain for side projects, I generally use the okean sino-korea IP blacklists which I fetch via cron.daily. It's not going to make your boxes ironclad by any stretch of the imagination, but it HAS cut down a great deal on comment spam and ssh brute force attempts.

Your mileage may vary.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Methanar posted:

What is the command that made that list?

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

What is the command that made that list?

Looks like the output of "last".

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

evol262 posted:

Both of those depend on configuration. In general, you'd get denied in preauth or dropped packets to 22, though. The way it's happening sounds like PAM. What does /etc/pam.d/ssh look like?

code:
#%PAM-1.0
auth	   required	pam_sepermit.so
auth       substack     password-auth
account    required     pam_nologin.so
account    include      password-auth
password   include      password-auth
# pam_selinux.so close should be the first session rule
session    required     pam_selinux.so close
session    required     pam_loginuid.so
# pam_selinux.so open should only be followed by sessions to be executed in the user context
session    required     pam_selinux.so open env_params
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include      password-auth
Have checked that deny hosts isn't running and found the remnants of it's database, which doesn't include my home IP. Right now I'm grepping the entire disk for my IP to see if it crops up anywhere other than hosts.allow.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I have a fanless NUC with an embedded Intel Atom E3815 and I'm trying to figure out OS compatibility. From what I can tell it only supports Debian-likes and Windows? I'd really like to run RHEL7 but I couldn't get CentOS to install. What's the best way to refer to this instruction set? Is it RHEL compatible?

Methanar posted:

Linux-based rakes, the internet of things has gone too far

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Roargasm posted:

I have a fanless NUC with an embedded Intel Atom E3815 and I'm trying to figure out OS compatibility. From what I can tell it only supports Debian-likes and Windows? I'd really like to run RHEL7 but I couldn't get CentOS to install. What's the best way to refer to this instruction set? Is it RHEL compatible?

The Intel Atom uses the same AMD64/x86_64 instruction set used by the i3/5/7 processor families. It's not an instruction set issue.

If it supports debianoids you should in principle be able to get other linuxes running on it, but there may be some configuration/driver fuckery needed if it has unusual hardware in it. I know people have successfully gotten SUSE 13 running on the NUC.

If you explain what went wrong when you tried installing CentOS rather than just "it didn't work", you have better odds of someone being able to help you.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
If the ownership of a file (in a debian system) is "myusername root" when shown with $ ls -l , is that...uh, bad? I had to change ownership of some files to get them to run even though they're in /etc/openvpn and I think everything in /etc/ should probably be "root root" but I am a privileges newb.

mystes
May 31, 2006

reading posted:

If the ownership of a file (in a debian system) is "myusername root" when shown with $ ls -l , is that...uh, bad? I had to change ownership of some files to get them to run even though they're in /etc/openvpn and I think everything in /etc/ should probably be "root root" but I am a privileges newb.
It's just the group. You might want to change that to but it probably doesn't matter in this case.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

reading posted:

What do you mean by "to get them to run"? The /etc/openvpn should usually only contain configuration files etc., and I think (on Debian) it might have one shell-script in it. Do you actually have to execute something in there?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

rocode posted:

First off, go to Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications (or type cinnamon-settings into terminal) and ensure that Abiword is not listed.

Edit: This looks like a issue specific to the Abiword -> Empathy integration. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/abiword/+bug/1432271
Thanks for finding this, fixed it after reading those comments.

Got another problem which I think also started when I upgraded to 15.04. If I middle click and drag to scroll, vertical scrolling works fine, but horizontal is inverted for me. This only affects some apps like gedit and nemo I have noticed so far (GTK specific ones maybe?).

Other apps, such as chrome or firefox for example, scroll as I would expect in both vertical and horizontal directions.
This is on Cinnamon Desktop, not sure if the issue is specific to cinnmamon or not.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kubuntu 15.04 is ugly as sin(it looks like win8)

And when I tried to reinstall 14.04 and restore my backup over it, it will not boot correctly. :cry:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Kubuntu 15.04 is ugly as sin(it looks like win8)

And when I tried to reinstall 14.04 and restore my backup over it, it will not boot correctly. :cry:

I for one like the new Plasma 5 flat look, I miss KDE 4's look but I would hardly call it Windows 8 bad. Do you have the traditional desktop or KDE's small screen mode?

https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Netbooks

I have only witnessed KDE's small screen mode one time when I installed it on an Eee PC and it does highly resemble a Win8 desktop, but I'm pretty sure it can be disabled even on small screen devices.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Hollow Talk posted:

What do you mean by "to get them to run"? The /etc/openvpn should usually only contain configuration files etc., and I think (on Debian) it might have one shell-script in it. Do you actually have to execute something in there?

Yeah I had to source the var file and run the pkitools executable (<-- or maybe its a script I forget) and stuff like build-ca, build-server, build-client, etc. but nothing worked until I chown'd everything to be my user. This is one of the issues I run in to a lot as a new linux user: using sudo makes all the problems go away, so I end up using sudo really, really liberally.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Does anyone know if the issue with dualbooting Win7/Linux using Grub has been resolved on the windows side? Or am I still risking some bootloader voodoo if I boot into windows and let it do all those updates? About a month ago someone here mentioned that recent windows updates were forcing people with Grub to choose a windows bootloader instead and that sounds like a risky headache. I've got a drive partioned in to two segments, rather than two separate drives which might complicate it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

reading posted:

Does anyone know if the issue with dualbooting Win7/Linux using Grub has been resolved on the windows side? Or am I still risking some bootloader voodoo if I boot into windows and let it do all those updates? About a month ago someone here mentioned that recent windows updates were forcing people with Grub to choose a windows bootloader instead and that sounds like a risky headache. I've got a drive partioned in to two segments, rather than two separate drives which might complicate it.

Is it EFI?

Also, the Windows bootloader thing was 8, on EFI, IIRC

reading posted:

Yeah I had to source the var file and run the pkitools executable (<-- or maybe its a script I forget) and stuff like build-ca, build-server, build-client, etc. but nothing worked until I chown'd everything to be my user. This is one of the issues I run in to a lot as a new linux user: using sudo makes all the problems go away, so I end up using sudo really, really liberally.
I think the question is: what were you trying to do? Server setup (and stuff like generating CAs for openvpn or /etc/pki) is often done as an openvpn service account (that comes with the package) or as root. You shouldn't expect to do it as your user. Your user does your user's stuff. If you need to do system stuff, you su to a service account, to root, or use su.

Even connecting to openvpn (as a client) generally creates new tun/tap devices and is done as root or with sudo, not your user

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

reading posted:

I had the issue, but I have my Windows and Linux installs on separate SSDs, so it was easy enough for me to change the boot order manually and boot to the Windows bootloader instead of GRUB.

It was one particular update to blame - KB3033929. If you want to manually deselect it then I believe the others should be fine. It shows as a known issue in the Microsoft knowledge base: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3033929

I did find a couple pages referring to it, and a walkthrough of temporarily removing and then replacing GRUB on a single-drive dual-boot:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/how-fix-windows-7-update-reboot-loop-problems-microsofts-kb3033929-patch-causing-422816

http://darkling.poppameth.com/windows-update-kb3033929-update-loop/

I don't know if there might be another workaround, like with BartPE disk or the like - like I said, I was lucky enough to just be able to swap boot order to get around it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Feel free to yell at me if this is the wrong thread.

It's a pretty mundane thing. I'm setting up a desktop in our basement for me and my roommates (for those times laptops fail or they just want an easy to access printer during D&D). I installed Linux Mint 17.1 MATE on there, added a couple of extra users, everything's good. I even set up one of one of the cool login windows that came with it.

However, that's where I run into problems. It displays fine when initially starting up, when logging out, or when switching a user off. However, if you switch off user A, log on as user B, then at some point later in time log off user B, it just goes to the boring rear end lock screen of user A instead of the cool login theme I set up.

Any idea how to fix this?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Trasson posted:

Feel free to yell at me if this is the wrong thread.

It's a pretty mundane thing. I'm setting up a desktop in our basement for me and my roommates (for those times laptops fail or they just want an easy to access printer during D&D). I installed Linux Mint 17.1 MATE on there, added a couple of extra users, everything's good. I even set up one of one of the cool login windows that came with it.

However, that's where I run into problems. It displays fine when initially starting up, when logging out, or when switching a user off. However, if you switch off user A, log on as user B, then at some point later in time log off user B, it just goes to the boring rear end lock screen of user A instead of the cool login theme I set up.

Any idea how to fix this?

Change MATE's lock screen? I don't know if it's using gnome-screensaver or gdm or what, but I bet it's configurable.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Crotch Fruit posted:

I for one like the new Plasma 5 flat look, I miss KDE 4's look but I would hardly call it Windows 8 bad. Do you have the traditional desktop or KDE's small screen mode?

https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Netbooks

I have only witnessed KDE's small screen mode one time when I installed it on an Eee PC and it does highly resemble a Win8 desktop, but I'm pretty sure it can be disabled even on small screen devices.

I'm running in traditional mode, but the small screen mode just looks like an activity mode to me. And its the flat look that I am not liking, tbh.

Well, that, and the fact that it wiped out my themes and appearance tweaks, as well as all my settings(where is my desktop cube? Why isn't yakuake loading at login anymore?)

I think my fundamental problem is that it feels like a windows upgrade, instead of the way every other KDE upgrade I have done has gone, where I could at least still see my wallpaper after the upgrade.

(I admit that these are just gripes, and minor annoyances, but dammit!)

My bigger problem is that my backup script has apparently broken and I need to debug it to figure out what its doing wrong. I thought I had that thing working right to be reliable.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

I think my fundamental problem is that it feels like a windows upgrade, instead of the way every other KDE upgrade I have done has gone, where I could at least still see my wallpaper after the upgrade.

I take it you weren't using KDE for the 3.x -> 4.x upgrade? 4.x -> 5.x has been a much smoother transition, though there are definitely some rough edges still.

I just did a poor-man's upgrade to 15.10 on my laptop: replace all occurrences of vivid with wily in /etc/apt/sources.list. There aren't many differences right now, but I'm looking forward to getting (I think) Plasma 5.4 when it's released/packaged/etc.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

reading posted:

evol262 posted:

I think the question is: what were you trying to do? Server setup (and stuff like generating CAs for openvpn or /etc/pki) is often done as an openvpn service account (that comes with the package) or as root. You shouldn't expect to do it as your user. Your user does your user's stuff. If you need to do system stuff, you su to a service account, to root, or use su.

Even connecting to openvpn (as a client) generally creates new tun/tap devices and is done as root or with sudo, not your user

evol262 understood me despite my poor phrasing! :sun:

If you could not execute things on your normal user, chances are they are system files. And if you use sudo to change ownership, why not just use sudo to actually run the programs that didn't work otherwise? This is my openvpn directory on Debian:
code:
sh-4.3$ ls -la /etc/openvpn/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 Apr 26 17:44 .
drwxr-xr-x 96 root root 12288 May  4 22:29 ..
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root  4096 Apr 17  2014 easy-rsa
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  1230 Jan 12 16:43 server.conf
-rw-------  1 root root   636 Sep  7  2013 ta.key
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  1301 Dec 27  2013 update-resolv-conf
Configuration files etc. are only writable by root, the ta.key is only readable by root, and the scripts in easy-rsa are all executable by everybody. However, the vars file in there is only writable by root, and /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/keys/ is only accessible by root for security reasons (you create a CA in there, after all). Essentially, the permissions are set for a reason, if you need to change anything, use sudo <command> instead of changing ownership. Same reason OS X and Windows ask you for your user password or administrator password, respectively, if you try to install programs and if you are not logged in as an administrator (you should not be logged in as an administrator).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Please don't forget to change te defaults in there. IIRC easy-rsa makes 1024bit keys by default, and you'd want 4k for the root and 2k for the clients

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

spankmeister posted:

Please don't forget to change te defaults in there. IIRC easy-rsa makes 1024bit keys by default, and you'd want 4k for the root and 2k for the clients

You remember correctly. The option to change is export KEY_SIZE=4096 in easy-rsa's vars file. I just use 4096 for both, everything else would be :effort:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lysidas posted:

I take it you weren't using KDE for the 3.x -> 4.x upgrade? 4.x -> 5.x has been a much smoother transition, though there are definitely some rough edges still.

I just did a poor-man's upgrade to 15.10 on my laptop: replace all occurrences of vivid with wily in /etc/apt/sources.list. There aren't many differences right now, but I'm looking forward to getting (I think) Plasma 5.4 when it's released/packaged/etc.

I was actually thinking of Kubuntu version, tbh. At work at the time and only half thinking about the post, since I was chewing on a different issue with my brain.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I am trying to make a bash script in which
code:
echo `date +"%F-%I%p"` > ~/time.txt
is supposed to put 2015-05-15-01PM into the text file. But instead it adds double quotes like "2015-05-15-01PM". What am I doing wrong?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

I am trying to make a bash script in which
code:
echo `date +"%F-%I%p"` > ~/time.txt
is supposed to put 2015-05-15-01PM into the text file. But instead it adds double quotes like "2015-05-15-01PM". What am I doing wrong?

code:
echo `date "+%F-%I%p"` > ~/time.txt
The + is outside the quotes.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Thanks, that was fast!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Apologies if this is more of a COBOL question, but this is maybe a Fedora-specific problem so I thought it would be best to ask it here.

I'm working on a project using GLFW. We've set it up so that the GLFW cmake script is called from our own CMakeLists.txt, so GLFW is being treated as if it's part of our own project. This works fine on the 'ancient' CentOS machines in our school's computer lab, but now I want to work from my laptop, which has had Fedora on it since yesterday. The problem is that when I run cmake, I see this:

code:
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:136 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenGL (missing: OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:343 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindOpenGL.cmake:175 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  glfw/CMakeLists.txt:88 (find_package)
When it tries to go through the GLFW CMakeLists.txt. I've googled this but the only results are from 2008/9, and for ubuntu - the solutions vary, but they're mostly along the lines of "install package 'mesa-devel'". There doesn't seem to be a package like that in the Fedora pkgdb, though.

I know there's a GLFW package, but my partner and I agreed to build all libraries for this project from source so that we can keep it consistent across multiple systems.

I ran the Intel Graphics Drivers Installer, thinking that maybe this was a problem with the drivers provided by Fedora, but that hasn't solved the problem. Maybe the school's sysadmins used blood magic to make everything work okay on CentOS.

tl;dr wtf do i have to do to compile against opengl on fedora

edit: Nevermind, it turns out I needed mesa-libGL-devel. And I also needed a whole bunch of libraries but I found them all. Compile -> install library mentioned in error -> repeat.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 16, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Oh Ubuntu:
I had Lubuntu 14.10 installed, and recently upgraded to 15.04, then installed Gnome Shell.
This sets a default lockscreen and desktop background that says Debian 8 on it!

I'm thinking of taking the hint and going back to Debian now.

evol262 posted:

There's a difference, but mostly in philosophy (Fedora and other Red Hat distros don't start services when packages are installed and try to upstream everything; Debian starts services when installed and maintains their own patchsets if upstream doesn't like it; Arch doesn't start services, doesn't contribute any code and doesn't get any real testing).

Now a question: Debian will automatcially start the daemon for any new packages you install.

Is it possible to change this behaviour so that it behaves more like Fedora/RedHat and doesn't start any daemons after install?

Re Arch - Although I'm sure they don't contribute much upstream compared to RedHat, Arch does provide a significant install base for bleeding edge packages, especially desktop ones. This can be valuable testing, and hopefully the bugs discovered do get reported upstream. It's clearly going to vary greatly with the individual package maintainer, and relies on users to report stuff concientiously too.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wooger posted:

Now a question: Debian will automatcially start the daemon for any new packages you install.

Is it possible to change this behaviour so that it behaves more like Fedora/RedHat and doesn't start any daemons after install?
I think that's an intentional design decision in the package postinstall scripts that's likely hard or impossible to change globally.

wooger posted:

Re Arch - Although I'm sure they don't contribute much upstream compared to RedHat, Arch does provide a significant install base for bleeding edge packages, especially desktop ones. This can be valuable testing, and hopefully the bugs discovered do get reported upstream. It's clearly going to vary greatly with the individual package maintainer, and relies on users to report stuff concientiously too.
Well, they contribute nothing. Not "not much". Nothing.

Arch is about as bleeding edge as Fedora Rawhide (which is much more stable than it used to be, and more stable than Arch), with a userbase not much larger.

But the real issue is that Arch users tend to report issues on their forums, and other users (or package maintainers) give them lovely workarounds on those forums instead of reporting bugs, or, god forbid, submitting patches. They don't report bugs. They just complain. Beyond which, the vast majority of bugs fixed are in released Fedora versions/development openstack/etc (if they're obvious workflow problems that didn't get caught in CI somehow) or in LTS/EL versions if they're obscure (like "I have 175 LUNs unmasked on this HBA, and the installer only shows 100 disks -- my local disk isn't visible!"). Basically zero bug reports come from Arch or Arch users. They're ur-consumers.

Arch is the guy who shows up to your pot luck with nothing, eats all the food, drinks all the beer, complains that you have no craft beer to everyone who's attending, then goes home and writes a butthurt post on their facebook page about how your party sucked and they'd do it so much better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is there any reason to use Arch that isn't better served by another distro? (besides the inertia of what you're used to)

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

Is there any reason to use Arch that isn't better served by another distro? (besides the inertia of what you're used to)

Self-hatred? Masochism? Misanthropy?

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
The AUR is pretty great.