Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

swimming anime posted:

Is there a way to know if you're going to be able to complete the events? Like it's not necessarily a waste to play through all the levels but if I'm too low level to be able to complete it and get Rinoa there's not much point in trying, right? I'm just about up to phantom train in FF6 in the story mode if that's any indication.

The earlier stages still have things worth getting, even if it's FF8 gear (the only ones you can find outside of lucky gatcha pulls), orbs, and mythril.

From the eyes of a Week 1 player, Rinoa's event (in normal difficulty, at least) seems slanted towards someone who's got some levels under their belt and knows how to game the, er, game. If you have a 5* weapon it's much easier (especially if you exploit Retaliate + Double Cut) but Seifer still hits like a brick to the face and has a mountain of HP. I'd say if you can manage Phunbaba/Mobliz on Classic you're more than ready, but that's personal bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The earlier stages of the Elite event are easier than Seifer and a good place to get some more FF8 items and stuff first. I had a Galbadian Sword+ and Armor+.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

I got pretty lucky and have 2 5* and 1 4* weapon on my team so far, haha. Maybe once I get the weapon upgrade daily I'll be able to make it work.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

You should be able to do it now then.

Which abilities do you guys prioritise creating?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You should be able to do it now then.

Which abilities do you guys prioritise creating?

Quake, Curaga, Bladeblitz, Power Break, Elemental spells (all elements, RA and Ga mainly, yes this includes Bio), all other Breaks/Breakdowns, Dark Buster, Venom Buster, all Spellblade skills, Retaliate, Double Cut.

That's a solid assortment of must haves and very nice to haves.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I almost want to make Gordon my new 3rd slot (Wakka's there right now). Is this even remotely a good idea?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Should -ga spells out prioritize -ra blades?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Should -ga spells out prioritize -ra blades?

Prioritize what you'll need for the party members you want to bring with you to the content you need it for;

I.E., I've mainly focused on Blizzara Strike and Blizzaga and Blizzard Strike, getting them all to 4 or 6 uses because I'm training to hunt a dinosaur tomorrow.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I almost want to make Gordon my new 3rd slot (Wakka's there right now). Is this even remotely a good idea?

No he's trash

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
My team's Aerith, (might replace her for Lenna), Terra, Rydia, Tifa, and Celes.

Yes, I'm a FF6 fangirl. I also wanted an all-girl team because gently caress YEA MISANDRY :redhammer:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Ha ha. The names for the bosses on the last level for FF8 are switched for some dumb reason so be aware of that if you end up needing to meet the special conditions to Master that level.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Just use both elements on both of them because they're both weak to them both.

:downs:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Are the effects of the Breaks 100% effective or will I have to Save/Reload until they actually hit?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Is it just me, or is Dollet Elite a lot harder than the listed difficulty implies?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Klungar posted:

Are the effects of the Breaks 100% effective or will I have to Save/Reload until they actually hit?

If the attack lands then the break is applied. There are very few enemies that have a defense against breaks but even then the break is just applied with a reduced effectiveness. There might be some enemies totally immune to breaks but they'll be rare as hell if they exist since the idea of an EX level boss being immune to break abilities is pretty :stonk:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is it just me, or is Dollet Elite a lot harder than the listed difficulty implies?

Bring lots of Lightning.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the attack lands then the break is applied. There are very few enemies that have a defense against breaks but even then the break is just applied with a reduced effectiveness. There might be some enemies totally immune to breaks but they'll be rare as hell if they exist since the idea of an EX level boss being immune to break abilities is pretty :stonk:

So a single level of each of the abilities will be good enough for most bosses, but I'll want to hone more for gauntlets and particularly nasty guys?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Breaks last 20 seconds, or roughly 2 rounds of combat. You'll want to hone the poo poo out of breaks for boss fights.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Klungar posted:

So a single level of each of the abilities will be good enough for most bosses, but I'll want to hone more for gauntlets and particularly nasty guys?

If you're going to be doing event elites, like the current Rinoa event, you will rank at least Rank 3 of any applicable 3* abilities. Farm the gently caress out of the heroics daily orbs.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Nephzinho posted:

Bring lots of Lightning.

Thought I did, guess it's time to get honing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Klungar posted:

4 uses of each will likely be enough for most boss fights but 6+ uses is ideal. When I cleared Jenovah LIFE in the recent Cloud #2 crystal event I was running out of break uses when she was dying because it took over 12 rounds to end the fight. That was an EX2 level with only that one fight though, but 6 uses is what you'll eventually want at minimum. 8 gives room to work and maxxing out skills means you can use them some on trash while still having a bunch of uses for the boss fights.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Gordon is basically a named version of the Red Mage. His stats aren't improved enough over the generic version to make a considerable difference.

Make of that what you will.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just noticed I got a 3* Golem Staff in my last 11 pull so I can do the Golem Staff/Gaia Vest Quake combo on Tyro. Not as good as the Rod and Vest on a Black Mage, but still nice! :getin:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

KataraniSword posted:

Gordon is basically a named version of the Red Mage. His stats aren't improved enough over the generic version to make a considerable difference.

Make of that what you will.

...Yep, that'd doom him to languish in the party screen.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Is it ever worth it to train up a Core party? I think I've only seen Daily Dungeons as Core realm, are there any particular events in the future that are Core?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Gordon is a fitting reminder of the shittest FinFan, where the stat growth mechanic was 'raise x stat by doing thing!' for example 'take damage to raise max HP!' so you spent every battle mindlessly grinding by attacking your own guys :downs:

At least soul of rebirth was half decent!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Eddain posted:

Is it ever worth it to train up a Core party? I think I've only seen Daily Dungeons as Core realm, are there any particular events in the future that are Core?

Some of the core characters have good record materias (which we don't have access to yet), but other than that, no. Tyro's the only core synergy character worth a drat as an actual combatant.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
So when the friend system gets introduced, what do you get when somebody uses one of your characters? Trying to decide if I should bother trying to get the shield tome or just mooch off of a lucky Goon instead.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Silvergun1000 posted:

So when the friend system gets introduced, what do you get when somebody uses one of your characters? Trying to decide if I should bother trying to get the shield tome or just mooch off of a lucky Goon instead.

A very small amount of gold. 400 or so.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Easy there Mr. Miser, that's two daily gil rewards.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well there's all the new Classics done, on to Elites. Not looking forward to that last area again. Which rear end in a top hat decided Level 5 Death was a good idea in a game with a cap at 50?

On the other hand, I like that the first and last of the new dungeons both have a boss fight with Ifrit.

Also looks like IX and XII and VII next update, hopefully some more as well.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ApplesandOranges posted:

How much health does Odin have? Can't seem to drag him down fast enough, and I'd hate to have to go re-kit my party just because I thought to bring Aerith this time.
Just beat this jerk. I've resisted using the Retaliate strat but after two failed attempts I figured it was worth a shot for Odin. Beat him with 1 second left on the Doom timer. Doesn't feel like that fight matches the difficulty rating at all.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
This game has done a good job of reminding me that I don't give a poo poo about any final fantasy game besides 6

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So are we going to get a QOL update that lets us see the boss mastery requirements beforehand any time soon? Because especially when it comes to FFXIII bosses, some of these are kinda obtuse. I mean, Juggernaut's whole gimmick is that he's weak to most debuffs, but only blind gets the points from him? Come on.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah I'm really regretting not packing armor break for Odin on Elite. I just lost again against him where he never got around to using his barrier. Cloud, Tidus, Aeris (big mistake, should have brought more DPS), Celes and Rinoa. 3 Bravers, 4 Quakes, 6 Fire Strikes, 2 Wind Strikes, 4 Ice Strikes, 4 Lightning Strikes, 2 Firaga, 2 Dark Attacks and 2 Dark Busters plus a handful of regular attacks were not enough to kill him.

Good Citizen posted:

This game has done a good job of reminding me that I don't give a poo poo about any final fantasy game besides 6

Same except with 5.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Jibo posted:

Same except with 5.

You're the guy that only drinks Framboise microbrews arent you.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I'm trying to farm 3* Non-Elemental Orbs. This guide claims that Mount Koltz (Elite) Room 3 drops them while this guide claims that Room 2 drops them.

Does anyone have any idea which of the guides is correct or if there are better spots to farm 3* Non-Elemental Orbs?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

McDragon posted:

Well there's all the new Classics done, on to Elites. Not looking forward to that last area again. Which rear end in a top hat decided Level 5 Death was a good idea in a game with a cap at 50?

On the other hand, I like that the first and last of the new dungeons both have a boss fight with Ifrit.

Also looks like IX and XII and VII next update, hopefully some more as well.

IX would mean Vivi. Best Magic stat in the game, but otherwise worse than Terra/Rinoa. Bonus points because he's Vivi.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Good Citizen posted:

I love all of them and I love all my final fantasy friends. What's a Luneth though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Whew, just championed the drat Dinosaur on Elite. Not gonna lie- I had to S/L the poo poo out of the trash mob battles to get through them without using up my abilities or tanking my score, plus have Quake honed to 4 uses.

It only took about 2 or 3 tries on the boss himself, though. Managed to put him to sleep and poison him right away - poison ticks even when he's asleep, so that's very nice. Just hit him with Blizzara while he slept, then managed to put him to sleep again after a few more tries, and used up the rest of my Blizzaras. Then I managed to blind him. It was all very lucky, because even doing all that and power breaking him, I think I was completely out of healing by the end. I think it took about 4 Blizzara Strikes, 4 or 5 Blizzard Strikes, a couple Dark attacks and Power Breaks, and a few retaliates from Cloud (with a 6*+ Zantetsuken; combining them was a huge mistake, but oh well).

I don't know if I'm up for the Iguions, though- I'd have to save all 4 casts of Quake, and the Trash is just too beefy to get through with a good score without using it as a crutch. Then again, I guess I can spam spellblades and such on the Trash, since the Quakes should do most of the Iguion killing on their own.... Anybody fought these guys? How hard does their breath hit for on Elite? I have no AoE healing options at all.

• Locked thread