Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

Rage is rigged bullshit and I hate it.

How is it "rigged"? What does that even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

it is incredibly dumb that lucario benefits from rage

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ruggington posted:

it is incredibly dumb that lucario benefits from rage

I'm not going to argue in favor or against that, but aside from that, it's good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's dumb to make people stronger when losing

you shouldn't be punished for taking the lead

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
at least it's not x-factor

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

It's dumb to make people stronger when losing

you shouldn't be punished for taking the lead

As far as "comeback mechanics" go, rage is probably the most dynamic because it affects both players at every stage of the match, winning or losing. It encourages you to get kills early, and it encourages people who do get their rear end beat to keep at it because they can still win.

I hate the stigma that people give it because they think it means less skilled players might pull off a clutch win thanks to rage, like that's the end of the world.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

mabels big day posted:

As far as "comeback mechanics" go, rage is probably the most dynamic because it affects both players at every stage of the match, winning or losing. It encourages you to get kills early, and it encourages people who do get their rear end beat to keep at it because they can still win.

I hate the stigma that people give it because they think it means less skilled players might pull off a clutch win thanks to rage, like that's the end of the world.

I'm okay with rage because it specifically rewards people that are good at avoiding kill moves, and also, it acts as an indirect buff to heavy characters. I mean if you're at 150% and still not dead maybe you deserve a little something extra for your talent.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Rage is good, unless your a huge baby? Then it's bad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Rage only seems like a problem when it comes to Lucario. I'm kind of surprised it can even effect him considering his gimmick.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reiley posted:

Rage is good, unless your a huge baby? Then it's bad

BEINg a huge baby is seriously epic though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If a monkey punched me in the head a lot I would be really mad too, and steam would come out of my ears. The "rage" mechanic makes perfect sense.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Reiley posted:

If a monkey punched me in the head a lot I would be really mad too, and steam would come out of my ears. The "rage" mechanic makes perfect sense.

I dunno. If a monkey punched me a lot, I think I would go flying off in an explosion of red and black sparks before combusting into a pillar of blue flames

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

mabels big day posted:

This is like sirlin bait.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

This.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Countblanc posted:

That's why I main Bowser Jr

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

2MB posted:

A hundred times this. Item toggles would be interesting too; imagine an all pokeball smash run. Also toggles for which battles show up at the end would be nice. No one enjoys having a good smash run, only to get poo poo on because you picked Ganondorf and got stuck in a race.

Oh please. He's not even the worst guy for the job.

Poor Robin...

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/596939812763873280

Pfah, I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself, Mr. Bozon. I'll admit that an indie getting adspace with Nintendo IPs off of the eShop browser window is impressive, though...

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Looks like he's bought into his own hype machine. That's going to be depressing when it never happens.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cicadas! posted:

Looks like he's bought into his own hype machine. That's going to be depressing when it never happens.

I think he's just aggressively marketing because why the hell not

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I think he's just aggressively marketing because why the hell not

I hadn't thought of that. The nerdbait lure of the Smash Ballot is probably a fantastic way to get your brand out there, regardless of the end result. Each person who googles Shantae after seeing her on a dumb smash strawpoll could turn out to be a potential buyer.
I guess that makes me a jaded rear end in a top hat and someone with no business sense.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

messagemode1 posted:

This is like sirlin bait.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

It always has and it's weird that they finally added it and then sorta-mostly took it out. It was probably my favorite mechanical change in smash 4.

You're dead to me.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Relevant to pretty much everyone in this thread: it turns out vectoring wasn't removed entirely from Smash 4, it was just removed vertically. When launched horizontally it's still more effective to hold towards the stage rather than at an angle, and trying to DI can actually get you killed earlier. When knocked vertically this doesn't apply though, so you want to DI when launched up and vector when launched sideways.

thanks for posting this. this explains a few of the weirder ko's i've had off the side

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I missed project m and brawl and just assumed that di worked the same in them all so I was lucky enough to be doing it right the whole time! Thats my stupid irrelevant story

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I thought vectoring was how DI worked in the first place. It makes way more sense to me.

So I beat Classic on 9.0 without losing a life. With my Mii brawler.

The Mii characters apparently do not count for the challenge.

Edit: SONUVABITCH I was almost there with Falcon but then I slipped and died in the last room of the Fortress. :mad:

Wild Knight fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 16, 2015

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
If you don't reciprocate or at least respect the Falcon ditto starting taunt you deserve whatever happens.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

If you don't reciprocate or at least respect the Falcon ditto starting taunt you deserve whatever happens.

He could have opened with something better than a dash attack too. No sympathy for a dishonorable Falcon with no moves to show.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Public Service Announcement: If you are a goon lurking in this thread you should join the IRC channel to find some games! We need more people to play with so we don't spend like 10 minutes trying to find a fourth for 2v2s. Peace.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Waverhouse posted:

Public Service Announcement: If you are a goon lurking in this thread you should join the IRC channel to find some games! We need more people to play with so we don't spend like 10 minutes trying to find a fourth for 2v2s. Peace.

#goonsmash on synirc for those who don't know

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Waverhouse posted:

Synirc? I'll add it to my join.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SL the Pyro posted:

https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/596939812763873280

Pfah, I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself, Mr. Bozon. I'll admit that an indie getting adspace with Nintendo IPs off of the eShop browser window is impressive, though...

He's been REALLY aggressive on marketing that since Iwata revealed the Smash Ballots.
To an obnoxious extreme if you follow him on twitter.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's your first mistake.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Melee doubles, Peach/Ganon mirror(???) going on http://www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Smash 4 doubles are way cooler http://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

gently caress yueah

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I finally downloaded mewtwo and am way out of practice. Who wants to fight

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Have there been any 4 vs 4 tournaments for Smash U? I saw one once when it first came out, but that's all I've been able to find.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
After playing with and against him a lot online, I kind of hate Mewtwo. In a game that is already way too generous to turtling, he is by far the most turtletastic character yet. His anti-approach abilities are unbelievably good and it makes him an utter chore to fight.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

brush him off the stage with a feather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Aware that this is the Wii U thread but more 3DS smashers need to enter the IRC, some of us are savages that don't own a Wii U and i have barely played any goons since that version came out

• Locked thread