Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of Dorian, if you go Templars, can you still recruit him?

I hope so, because he's the best.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, he just shows up after the fact like Cole does if you go Mages, but he's considerably more pissed off because of all the poo poo that goes down on the mage plotline to people he cares about.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I get that it's part of the whole "two entirely divergent paths" thing but I wish that either Cole or Dorian didn't have to just show up with no preamble or explanation, though it makes perfect sense for Cole to just suddenly appear, I guess. I don't know how they could have had intros for both, though, without changing a lot. And I suppose another, possibly more important character just appears for the first time on the same mission. With his dumb tumory monsterface.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Here is everything you need to know about DA2 if you haven't played it (you shouldn't):

And about Hawke:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, he just shows up after the fact like Cole does if you go Mages, but he's considerably more pissed off because of all the poo poo that goes down on the mage plotline to people he cares about.

Yea, its really obvious Mage is the canon choice. Templars wasn't very interesting at all.

I was honestly disappointed the first time the main villain appeared. I expected something, more. Like a Lord Soth kinda guy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

projecthalaxy posted:

I get that it's part of the whole "two entirely divergent paths" thing but I wish that either Cole or Dorian didn't have to just show up with no preamble or explanation, though it makes perfect sense for Cole to just suddenly appear, I guess. I don't know how they could have had intros for both, though, without changing a lot. And I suppose another, possibly more important character just appears for the first time on the same mission. With his dumb tumory monsterface.

They could have just added an intro mission for the Templars to give some background on what's happening to them. Say with Barris noting that his boss is acting a lot more suspicious lately and how his superiors are becoming unsually reclusive/paranoid. Cole could also show up like Dorian to explain something sinister happening. That would help the missions seem more equal by making the danger to both sides obvious.

As it is now, the mages are clearly in over their heads with somebody warping time itself to keep them under his thumb while the Templars are sitting around in their fortress being jerky for no apparent reason with only Cassandra and Cullen curious enough to question it.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 17, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Here is everything you need to know about DA2 if you haven't played it (you shouldn't):

And about Hawke:

Both of these are the reason DA2 is awesome, in spite of its many flaws.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Geostomp posted:

They could have just added an intro mission for the Templars to give some background on what's happening to them. Say with Barris noting that his boss is acting a lot more suspicious lately and how his superiors are becoming unsually reclusive/paranoid. Cole could also show up like Dorian to explain something sinister happening. That would help the missions seem more equal by making the danger to both sides obvious.

Ultimately this is the major problem. Fiona actually approaches you and requests your help, and then when you go to investigate she doesn't even remember that happening, so you know something's up. The only reason you have to go to the Templars is Cassandra's word that something is off and at that point in the game you don't really know whether to trust her or not.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Geostomp posted:

Yeah that was annoying. The mages had the first time you visit Redcliffe as a hey something's really wrong with the mages, you should commit to investigating! moment, which the templars don't have. I guess the lady-punching bonanza in Val Royeaux is supposed to serve as that.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its really obvious Mage is the canon choice. Templars wasn't very interesting at all.

I was honestly disappointed the first time the main villain appeared. I expected something, more. Like a Lord Soth kinda guy.

Yeah it really seems like that whole segment was supposed to just be straight-through, but then they decided late to add the Templars as another path option. That's really one of the only times you get locked out of a mission, right? Like there's the choices at the end of the big story options but it's not like the Mage/Templar divide where you get locked out of hours of stuff. It's like if you had to choose between the Empress's ball and the Hawke/Wardens stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Which would be terrible because both of those are a lot of fun. Mages and the Ball are some of the most fun I've had in forever in a RPG and Hawke was pretty good for the small amount of time she's in the game.

The major story missions have one really big issue, not enough supply caches. I know they wanted to make it so you can't just spam healing, but its silly to do a long rear end combat mission and only have one chance to resupply.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah it really seems like that whole segment was supposed to just be straight-through, but then they decided late to add the Templars as another path option. That's really one of the only times you get locked out of a mission, right? Like there's the choices at the end of the big story options but it's not like the Mage/Templar divide where you get locked out of hours of stuff. It's like if you had to choose between the Empress's ball and the Hawke/Wardens stuff.

I like the Templar mission, really. It's a fine story mission, gives Cole a solid introduction, fighting demonic possession from the inside is a good idea executed decently well, the big battle sequence near the end is pretty good, and you finally get to see the Templars living up to their billing rather than be the much hyped up punching bags for mages. The problems are that the overall story doesn't make much sense, and it's set as an opposing path to one of the best adventures in the entire series.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I like the Templar mission, really. It's a fine story mission, gives Cole a solid introduction, fighting demonic possession from the inside is a good idea executed decently well, the big battle sequence near the end is pretty good, and you finally get to see the Templars living up to their billing rather than be the much hyped up punching bags for mages. The problems are that the overall story doesn't make much sense, and it's set as an opposing path to one of the best adventures in the entire series.

I like the mission itself well enough, but it does make the Templars out as pretty incompetent given that they blindly accept lyrium that is converting their ranks into crystalline monsters, fail to notice rooms filled with evil plans, and let a demon walk around commanding them for an extended period. They actually manage to pull it together towards the end, but'it's not the best showing for an organization.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the mission qua mission is bad, it's just that like you said, you're given no real reason to do it, while the mage mission is clearly "correct". Val Royeaux has the only setup for it (which I would argue is more a setup for Cassandra's personal mission), while the mages are set up better in VR, the Hinterlands naturally sweep you into Redcliffe, You get another setup mission, and then you have to decide to scrap all of that and wander 2000 miles southeast for no raisin instead. It's just not good design.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geostomp posted:

I like the mission itself well enough, but it does make the Templars out as pretty incompetent given that they blindly accept lyrium that is converting their ranks into crystalline monsters, fail to notice rooms filled with evil plans, and let a demon walk around commanding them for an extended period. They actually manage to pull it together towards the end, but'it's not the best showing for an organization.

I think with the red templars the idea is that the red spikes aren't yet a thing if you do the templar mission. Would be logical for Cory and crew to keep the full effects of the red lyrium out of the templars' sight until they're too far gone to fight back. Until then, they just think it's extra-strength happy juice and by the time they realize it's quite a bit more than that they're past the point of no return.

The room full of evil plans and the demon in charge thing are what I was thinking of when I noted that the overall story doesn't make much sense.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kurieg posted:

He's more upset if you spoke with him first than if you just never met him before doing the Templars.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The Templar mission does have a interesting Nemesis quest with Calpernia and more insight into Corypheus (if you care about his motivations) and the Demon part of it does bring up an interesting point of how the Inquisition can become bigger than the rest of the nations of Thedas and how you can easily abuse that kind of power.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 17, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lotish posted:

He's more upset if you spoke with him first than if you just never met him before doing the Templars.

It's really easy getting his approval back though, and I have always gotten to do his fairy godmother mission.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cythereal posted:

The Templar mission is a godawful piece of poo poo that makes absolutely zero sense from a game lore perspective.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

The Templar mission does have a interesting Nemesis quest with Calpernia and more insight into Corypheus (if you care about his motivations) and the Demon part of it does bring up an interesting point of how the Inquisition can become bigger than the rest of the nations of Thedas and how you can easily abuse that kind of power.

And the Mage mission shows you an alternate universe where you failed and evil has conquered the world.

Both paths are the same thing, some superior being corrupting a bunch of idiots. One happens to be from the fade and could accidentally get ousted at any time by some Templar practicing magic, the other timewalks that poo poo.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

And the Mage mission shows you an alternate universe where you failed and evil has conquered the world.

Both paths are the same thing, some superior being corrupting a bunch of idiots. One happens to be from the fade and could accidentally get ousted at any time by some Templar practicing magic, the other timewalks that poo poo.

The templar alternative universe plus the temple of Dumat is pretty cool. The game should have made you play both paths and then decide before the final mission which orginisation to save.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah that would have been cool. Anora and the Chantry are both out for blood and you only have enough political capital to deputize and save one of the organizations. (The mages, by the way. You save the mages.)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I was doing the Well poo poo mission for Varric. While in Valamar, I jumped over a table to get to some loot....and died. I can walk around the table. I can walk or run off the table. I can jump off the other side or in the other direction. But if I jump off one side in direction I die. This game cracks me up sometimes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The Templar mission kinda pissed me off. Not the Fade bit, that was great, but for a game that rewards you for exploring every nook and cranny, having a timer counting down that makes you auto-fail if you reach zero (and fight the same set of enemies every time you return to the main room, so about a dozen times) is some serious bullshit.

And yeah, even from someone who doesn't mind Cole, Dorian is still way more fun. He's so much more fun that his quick greeting at the gates of Haven when you go Templar is better than literally anything Cole does or says during his entire extended introduction.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Wolfsheim posted:

The Templar mission kinda pissed me off. Not the Fade bit, that was great, but for a game that rewards you for exploring every nook and cranny, having a timer counting down that makes you auto-fail if you reach zero (and fight the same set of enemies every time you return to the main room, so about a dozen times) is some serious bullshit.

And yeah, even from someone who doesn't mind Cole, Dorian is still way more fun. He's so much more fun that his quick greeting at the gates of Haven when you go Templar is better than literally anything Cole does or says during his entire extended introduction.

Cole as a character is really weak on his own and really exists as something that lets other characters do their thing when he's around. Even his loyalty mission to me felt more about Varic and Solas than him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cole owns as a character and his alien worldview is really interesting and pretty well done. I don't think i'd really call him "fun" but I think by the end of my playthrough I considered him one of the most interesting and better written characters in the game.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I did my second playthrough to go the other route with the major decisions in the game. Aside from going with a smarmy elf mage (which was the BEST decision), I made the better decision the first time a lot.

I don't know if I prefer mages over templars. The templar quest felt a lot more Dragon Age-y, but the mage quest was more fun to me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fangz posted:

Look at Pillars of Eternity for how to do it wrong.

Pillars has nothing to learn from this game.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cythereal posted:

And about Hawke:

This is why everyone should love Dragon Age 2

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

HIJK posted:

This is why everyone should love Dragon Age 2

No.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Cole owns as a character and his alien worldview is really interesting and pretty well done. I don't think i'd really call him "fun" but I think by the end of my playthrough I considered him one of the most interesting and better written characters in the game.

Cole and Justice were both good to have on the team. They gave some nice background on the Fade and how spirits operate. Too bad about that whole Vengance mess that destroyed Justice.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yes.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of him on my first play through, but he grew on me. Second playthrough he almost never leaves my party just because I love the little bits of history I get on people/places because of him. The alliteration thing gets old, but other than that I don't think he's poorly written.

CVagts posted:

Aside from going with a smarmy elf mage (which was the BEST decision).

Pro-circle, faithful elf mage is so much fun. I'm either throwing everyone in cloisters or sentencing them to tranquility.

Unrelated note - Anyone have issues with the Chargers' Song on Patron of the Arts? I've definitely triggered the cutscene where you are supposed get it on both my characters, but it never showed up in my codex or collection, and its not showing up for purchase in Val Royeaux.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Dienes posted:

Unrelated note - Anyone have issues with the Chargers' Song on Patron of the Arts? I've definitely triggered the cutscene where you are supposed get it on both my characters, but it never showed up in my codex or collection, and its not showing up for purchase in Val Royeaux.

I reloaded right after and got it on the second try. Codex capture of stuff seems wonky in general, I only see the pop up message about half the time when reading texts.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dienes posted:

Pro-circle, faithful elf mage is so much fun. I'm either throwing everyone in cloisters or sentencing them to tranquility.

Calm down Vivienne.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Welp, it happened, I punched Dorian.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You MONSTER

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Don't punch Dorian! Punch his dad, punch Alexius, all sorts of other people to punch. Not Dorian though, he's your narcissistic bro :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Welp, it happened, I punched Dorian.

That isn't a thing that is possible. I refuse to believe you. :colbert: (You monster)

• Locked thread