Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
So you increased your net worth by at least 14k in one month and also took responsibility for the overages. Well done DCB that's stellar work :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DogsCantBudget posted:

2) Medical: I paid off all existing medical bills, but wife tweaked her back and needed to go see a chiro a few times which put us over by a bit. Hopefully she will be better soon.

This is probably opening up a can of worms, but chiropractors are mostly bullshit based on quack science. Go to a physical therapist or just rest your back/ice it if it's not bad.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Inept posted:

This is probably opening up a can of worms, but chiropractors are mostly bullshit based on quack science. Go to a physical therapist or just rest your back/ice it if it's not bad.

Refuse to start that argument. It works for us...It didn't work for you. It's ok. World won't end if we disagree.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

How do you collapse the top black part where the available to budget / overbudget status is? I have clicked everywhere I could think.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

How do you collapse the top black part where the available to budget / overbudget status is? I have clicked everywhere I could think.

Click the "Available to Budget" text.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

anitsirK posted:

Click the "Available to Budget" text.

Thank you, apparently I'm a dumbass.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
So, the closing is still in somewhat of a nebulous state. They fixed the numbers, but now getting the closing date set with them is getting to be impossible.

But hopefully it will happen.

Also, we are doing good this month on budget. We went 300 under out total travel allotted amount(we had 1k saved, and spent ~700) yay.

No crazy expenses this month planned except for the closing(i have a 2k check sitting at home waiting to be cashed once they tell me when the gently caress the closing is happening). We made a tactical decision to take that out of our e-fund, as we feel we can pay it back pretty quickly.

Just got paid today. Putting 2k into the emergency fund so bringing it basically back to where it was. Currently just at over 11k.

DogsCantBudget fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 14, 2015

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
Closing happened this afternoon after much hemming and hawing.

Good news/Wierd news:
Good news, cost 1300 less then I expected. I put that 1300 back in savings.
Only 2500 left to go to fully fund our e-fund(not saying I can't add more to it...just to get it to 15k)!

More Good news: Mortgage payment went down ~300$ a month and interest went down .5%.

Some Wierd/hiccups:
My Good Faith Estimate did not match my HUD-1 by more then 10% in section A, line 4. I thought this was a number that wasn't allowed to change. Can anyone advise me what to do here? I think i in theory may have lost another 800$ here.

Other thoughts:
Wife and I really want to put a back deck/porch on the house. Right now our back porch is a 5x10 concrete slab that we can barely fit our grill on. Adding a deck would definitely add value to the house, without raising appraised value. I have some folks coming out for estimates which I expect to be 2-3k.

Please discuss

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

DogsCantBudget posted:

Good news/Wierd news:

More Good news: Mortgage payment went down ~300$ a month and interest went down .5%.

Other thoughts:
Wife and I really want to put a back deck/porch on the house. Right now our back porch is a 5x10 concrete slab that we can barely fit our grill on. Adding a deck would definitely add value to the house, without raising appraised value. I have some folks coming out for estimates which I expect to be 2-3k.

Please discuss

A bunch of good news there. Clearly you have some refinancing that has gone on and improved your cashflow and interest payments.

A deck would add to your quality of life and contribute a little to property value. Like everything else budget for the work to the deck. Be aware that the quotes are likely to be time limited and may change if you delay significantly.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Maybe make a patio yourself out of pavers/stones? More work but much cheaper.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Having something to put the grill on a few more feet away from the siding would be a big improvement in safety as well.

You're probably right about appraisal value regarding closing, but do of course realize that this drat city likes to raise our assessed value by the yearly homestead cap whenever possible and that it's separate from appraisal. And based on the recent selling prices for homes, I doubt I'll have evidence to refute the tax rise despite putting literally $0 last year into improving my home.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Inept posted:

Maybe make a patio yourself out of pavers/stones? More work but much cheaper.

HOA won't approve this...ever.

Devian666 posted:

Like everything else budget for the work to the deck.

Can I delay the E Fund building by a month and just pay it with the money I would have used towards the E Fund in June? I'd rather not wait a year for it. I do already have ~725 in the Home Improvement fund

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Why wouldn't they approve a patio? It would look better than a raised deck... If your house wasn't on grade a raised deck would be fine, but that isn't the case.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

Why wouldn't they approve a patio? It would look better than a raised deck... If your house wasn't on grade a raised deck would be fine, but that isn't the case.

Cuz it doesn't meet community standards. To be honest, I wouldn't want it anyways. I want a wooden deck

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

DogsCantBudget posted:

Cuz it doesn't meet community standards. To be honest, I wouldn't want it anyways. I want a wooden deck

"Want" being the key word there. I personally wouldn't delay an emergency fund or slow down on debt repayment just for a deck you suddenly want.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Make a goal for yourself before you purchase the deck. I'd say 4 month e fund and pay down all debt that has interest>5% or could depending on probationary period.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

Never underestimate the pettiness of HOA boards. If they've convinced themselves that poor people have patios and rich people have decks, then there will be no patios in the neighborhood regardless of whether they're visible or not.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

SlapActionJackson posted:

Never underestimate the pettiness of HOA boards. If they've convinced themselves that poor people have patios and rich people have decks, then there will be no patios in the neighborhood regardless of whether they're visible or not.

I must be such a poor. I installed a 400 sq ft patio myself out of pavers and was $1100 all in including truck and plate tamper rental. Looks way nicer than my neighbors' deck.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

SlapActionJackson posted:

The amount of decks vs patios at the $1-10mm houses in my folks last neighborhoods say a lot, IMO. Though, no stupid HOA. HOA FTL. It also really depends about the lot and layout. Slab on grade needs a lot of excavation to make it OK. And probably won't look good anyway with a flat lot.

Dogs, how's your lots grade?

Bloody Queef posted:

I must be such a poor. I installed a 400 sq ft patio myself out of pavers and was $1100 all in including truck and plate tamper rental. Looks way nicer than my neighbors' deck.
Poor...or smart and have taste. I'm not saying decks are bad, but often patios are nicer. It entirely depends though! House on grade? Patio. 2nd story main level? Probably a deck plus a large walkout patio downstairs with a nice stairwell.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 17, 2015

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I'm guessing you went ahead (or are going ahead) with getting the deck, so at least post pictures if it's done and tell us how much you actually spent or plan on spending.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

ObsidianBeast posted:

I'm guessing you went ahead (or are going ahead) with getting the deck, so at least post pictures if it's done and tell us how much you actually spent or plan on spending.

Not yet, but have submitted paperwork. I'll post pics when/if I have something....

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Let's talk about May and then June.

May
Overages:
Phone - Wife and I each got new cellphones. This will increase out cell phone bill by about 30$ a month, but we've had the same phone for over 3 years, so it was time to upgrade. I bought a new case for it online(an otterbox), thus the 37.98 overage. I probably could have split this out to Spending money/restaurans

Groceries: We ate out less, leaving 52$ in a budget that I already had reduced from its normal 400, so over 100$ less, so significantly less actually

Pet Care: One of the pups is getting old, and his teeth have started to bother him. We have had to start mixing wet food into his diet to supplement the dry food, or else he doesn't eat:( Poor pup. However, we found a cheap source for Wet food that we liked at Costco(top 3 ingredients are meat based, which is key when purchasing dog food!)

Underages:
Fuel - I seem to consistently spend way less on gas then I budget for. In future, after June, I think I'll bring that budget down to 100 and see how that goes
Restaurants- See above
Spending Money: A lot of smaller spending money expenses, but I managed to stay under this month. I think it's the first month I've pulled that off.

June
June should be a pretty low spend month. I'm actually travelling to Europe for business for 2 weeks which means we'll have minimal expenses(I hope) while I am gone.

A couple things of note for right now:
1) Mortgage payment and HOA dues are at 0. I was running this budget a month ahead, but reconciling it every month was becoming a pain. I will be making a payment of 1400 even though with the recent refi my payment went down to 1100. Why? Because I'd rather pay this down a bit faster, and as such the 1400 will end up going completely to principal. Obviously HOA dues are gonna happen no matter what. They have already been paid.
2) Car insurance. This was actually 895 but I already had ~291 saved from previous savings. In future I'll plan ahead for this and have set up a recurring 100$ withdrawal monthly from my account to make the hit less painful in future. A 600$ hit hurts more then a 200$ hit.

Not much more to say for monthly analysis.

Let's talk retirement though. Value as of today is ~72k, and has grown(from what I can see) by 10k in the last 4 months(that includes contributions, so not sure if this is actually good return or not? I really need to analyze this better).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Looking noice Dogs! I'm glad you're updating your thread.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You blew your budget by nearly $1000. You did a lovely job in May. A budget is nothing if you don't stick to it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

You blew your budget by nearly $1000. You did a lovely job in May. A budget is nothing if you don't stick to it.

If he had money rolled over from April it would lead to what we're seeing. I don't see any red so I don't think he broke the budget, but instead used rollover categories.

But I don't know for sure.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I count at least 11 categories where he spent more than he budgeted.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

I count at least 11 categories where he spent more than he budgeted.

Can you clarify? I'm not debating you on the point, I'm just confused.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

There are 11 line items (maybe more?) where the negative number is larger than the budgeted number.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

n8r posted:

There are 11 line items (maybe more?) where the negative number is larger than the budgeted number.

Most of those lines are likely because he had money left over in those categories the previous month because he spent less than he budgeted.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

He's overspending categories.

Note that the earlier May screenshot showed $6700 in outflows:

Also why is there a $236 hobbies budget? Is this a budget or is this just coming up with the number you plan on spending this month.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Refresh please: why is the efund at 0?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

Refresh please: why is the efund at 0?

EFund is at 0 because as I find money to put in there I do. Note that the budget that n8r posted just before you also had it 0'd out. For reference there is ~12500 in there right now. I do plan/hope to fill it by end of June.

n8r posted:

He's overspending categories.

Note that the earlier May screenshot showed $6700 in outflows:

Also why is there a $236 hobbies budget? Is this a budget or is this just coming up with the number you plan on spending this month.
236.10 is the final number when I 0'd out the budget. Note that the 236 is less then the 250 I originally had budgeted for the month of may.
Here's a handy spreadsheet identifying where I went over/under. Note that E-Fund 2k is over, but thats because as I said "I am throwing what I can in there, hence 2k"

You are right in that it stated 6700 in outflows, but I had 8039. The 6700 did not take the 2000 into the E-Fund into account, so in theory not only did I blow 6700 away, but I was down closer to 6039 in outflows...so under budget by 670$?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
Just checked the mail. Got my escrows from my old mortgage back. 2k. Yay! Cashed the check and spent it on a scuba drysuit that I have been wanting cuz it's extra money for the month that I wasn't planning on.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DogsCantBudget posted:

Just checked the mail. Got my escrows from my old mortgage back. 2k. Yay! Cashed the check and spent it on a scuba drysuit that I have been wanting cuz it's extra money for the month that I wasn't planning on.

:captainpop:

Not sure if you're serious or not, so good job!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Inept posted:

That one is likely to be serious. Despite some over category spending dogs overall accumulation of net worth seems to be on track.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DogsCantBudget posted:

EFund is at 0 because as I find money to put in there I do. Note that the budget that n8r posted just before you also had it 0'd out. For reference there is ~12500 in there right now. I do plan/hope to fill it by end of June.
Doh! I even looked at the off budget accounts, but somehow missed that.

Overall, nice job. I'm sure I could nitpick, but you're saving a lot more and not vastly over spending. Big turnaround from a year ago.

Where is the deck in the budget? Maybe I'm missing it, I'm on my phone still (loving work / month end close :() but it looks like there is only $125 in the Home Improvement budget.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Devian666 posted:

That one is likely to be serious. Despite some over category spending dogs overall accumulation of net worth seems to be on track.

Windfalls shouldn't be spent on random bullshit. That's one of the basics of budgeting. He could have put that money toward his deck or new house or whatever.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Inept posted:

Windfalls shouldn't be spent on random bullshit. That's one of the basics of budgeting. He could have put that money toward his deck or new house or whatever.

We all know dogs is breaking the windfall spending rule, and some minor infringements on the budget (this used to be worse). However emergency fund and net worth accumulation are on track, which is why I give dogs some leeway.

If you go back to the expensive hobby part of the thread you'll see where a few people bailed out of this thread, and where I started looking at where this is all heading. Don't expect a strict BFC approach from me in this thread.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Inept posted:

Glad to disappoint some of you...I wasn't. I took that check, cashed it, and sent a matching check off towards mortgage principal. I do want a new drysuit, but I need to figure out when thats happening and would probably discuss it here first.

SiGmA_X posted:

Where is the deck in the budget? Maybe I'm missing it, I'm on my phone still (loving work / month end close :() but it looks like there is only $125 in the Home Improvement budget.

The deck's not quite here yet, and I'm figuring out timing. It might come in this month, might be next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Look at you being an awesome badass dogs.

Have you figured out how much longer you have to stick to this budget for to hit the goals you wanted to hit? With you being on track toward everything where does that eventually put you to be able to afford more of the fun things like the scuba lessons and more extravagant vacations?

• Locked thread