Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sigma X posted:

gently caress me, if I get one more not-delivered package that's reported as delivered by the USPS I'M gonna go postal.

I see what you did there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Spent a long day helping to try and finish clearing out a mates workshop unit, packing stuff onto pallets and skipping a lot more.

My haul for the day is a 10 year old SIP plasma cutter that seems to have a slightly buggered torch. Now I need to try and find a manual to see how much air I need to feed it and how much power it needs, and how I can buy a new torch.

Initial googling looks like it might pull more than 13A. In the UK all our plugs and sockets are rated at 13A, but a 240V ring main wired in 2.5mm^2 cable (as I have in my garage) should in theory have no trouble running a lot more than 13A if I put in the appropriate rated sockets? (such as some 16A/32A commando's)

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 16, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tomarse posted:

Spent a long day helping to try and finish clearing out a mates workshop unit, packing stuff onto pallets and skipping a lot more.

My haul for the day is a 10 year old SIP plasma cutter that seems to have a slightly buggered torch. Now I need to try and find a manual to see how much air I need to feed it and how much power it needs, and how I can buy a new torch.

Initial googling looks like it might pull more than 13A. In the UK all our plugs and sockets are rated at 13A, but a 240V ring main wired in 2.5mm^2 cable (as I have in my garage) should in theory have no trouble running a lot more than 13A if I put in the appropriate rated sockets? (such as some 16A/32A commando's)

Does it have a blue 16A plug? My welder has one but it would take a lot to pull 16A, so i run a converter and a standard 3-pin 13A plug and it never has an issue. (even @200A)

eBay is your best bet for torches, you may find the same machine exists under a different name too for a manual. Does it not tell you what i needs for air supply? Usually it will tell you PSI in, and it will use what it needs for airflow.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Welp, I gave my wife whiplash with my miata :v: I was hooning a bit and went up a driveway into a parking lot and jumped the rear end. It was cool as poo poo and she wasn't expecting it. Soooo, I guess what I'm trying to ask is: what sensible hatchbacks are out there for around $10K? I was looking at mk3 focus hatches with manuals, mazda 3s, mazda 5s and subaru outback sports/impreza hatches.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Darchangel posted:

theater with reserved recliner seating

:hfive:

Don't care that it's more expensive, so much nicer just to show up and have great seats waiting for you, no more rushing to try to get good seats. This is seriously the poo poo.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Bajaha posted:

:hfive:

Don't care that it's more expensive, so much nicer just to show up and have great seats waiting for you, no more rushing to try to get good seats. This is seriously the poo poo.

While waiting through the inevitable spam at the movie theater today waiting for Mad Max, I remarked to my girlfriend that the teenagers sitting to our left had probably never known going to a theater and NOT getting barraged with 20 minutes worth of ads before the movie, or a $4 ticket. She replied they'd also never known half-height seats, non-stadium seating, or those old, analog theaters where the image faded towards the edges.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Taco Box posted:

Welp, I gave my wife whiplash with my miata :v: I was hooning a bit and went up a driveway into a parking lot and jumped the rear end. It was cool as poo poo and she wasn't expecting it. Soooo, I guess what I'm trying to ask is: what sensible hatchbacks are out there for around $10K? I was looking at mk3 focus hatches with manuals, mazda 3s, mazda 5s and subaru outback sports/impreza hatches.

So you have to sell your Miata because your wife is mad at you? You're the dumbass, not the car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Fuel pump number 2, but I am much better at dropping the tank this time around.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Anyone know any good mechanics around Boston/Hanover area? BIL keeps getting"cats need to be replaced" on his 03 v8 4 runner, but they're also always finding something else while they are at it.

Also, someday I'll go see movies in the theater again. Someday. :sigh:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ssjonizuka posted:

Also, someday I'll go see movies in the theater again. Someday. :sigh:

Sup Paul.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Fuel pump number 2, but I am much better at dropping the tank this time around.

Was the tank full this time? Full tanks are a bitch to handle in any situation.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mad Max...wow. Went to the close lovely theater because I wanted an early showing. The seats sucked, at least two speakers were blown but holy poo poo what a movie. Think I'm headed to a decent theater tomorrow to see it with a few friends. The machines in that movie alone were worth the ticket price.

Looks like I'll be buying Interstellar and Mad Max this year.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think we may have a slight issue with the a/c at work. I took a shower an hour before work (around 11am), and got out of work almost 2 hours ago (8pm) - my hair is still wet, except from sweat instead of "just got out of the shower".

Everyone says that's the norm for the place. I asked my boss about it, he said only 1 (out of 3) rooftop units actually works. Another one still circulates air, but has a dead compressor and a cracked heat exchanger. The third doesn't do anything when you try to turn it on (though obviously still has power, as its thermostat is still receiving power) - it also has a cracked heat exchanger. He's looking at a 5 figure bill to get both of them replaced, and they're old enough that it'll be cheaper to replace them. They're not as old as the store itself (30+ years), but probably date back to the mid 90s. I spent most free moments today sitting in one of the walk in coolers - one of them was having trouble maintaining <40F, I assume because of the heat in the store (air coming out of the blowers was ice cold, blowers work fine, but if you walked in and felt the walls, they were very warm).

Tide posted:

Had a hell of a storm roll thru yesterday and last night. Pretty sure the router is fried (no power, outlet is good). The wireless access point for the UVerse is dead. I've got Xfiniti Internet and UVerse TV and nothing is working.

Awesome

E: walked outside to check the house for a lightning strike and it looks like a tree about 4-5 meters away from the ATT box next to the sidewalk got hit. Pieces of the tree are on my roof about 60 feet away

Ffffffuck. Been there before; router, DSL modem, and the onboard ethernet port in my PC got fried (along with anything not on a surge protector, like my microwave, and every surge protector in the apartment - came home to find some smoke in the place and several tripped breakers). Neighbors said the carport got hit by lightning.

Hope your TVs didn't get hosed.

Tide posted:

So AI (STR??), what is the best router on the market? Need the magical unicorn of speed plus distance. If I need to pick up extenders, that's fine. The router is almost in the middle of the house, but the garage is 4 walls away.

To be honest, I haven't bought a router in nearly 10 years. Linksys was my go-to, but that was before they got bought out. All I can really suggest is what Tommychu suggested - maybe future proof with an AC router, otherwise go with a decent 802.11n router. I'm using the Verizon-supplied router, and I've been happy with it except for wireless range.

I've heard really good things about Asus routers, and I got a Netgear N300 router awhile back that's a workhorse (after I replaced the horrible stock firmware with DD-WRT). I want to say it's a WNR3500L.

Tommychu posted:

The 2.4GHz N channel on my Asus RT-AC66U carries through 6 walls and 100ft into the parking lot of my condo, none of my routers before this one managed that reliably. Plus you get the futureproof 802.11AC (though the 5GHz range is inherently much less, and nothing comes with an AC card yet but getting 800+ mbps over wireless when you do get one is cool as gently caress). Find a refurb one, they usually go for less than the equivalent terrible D-links and Linksys.

My laptop supports A, B, and AC. Oddly, doesn't seem to support N, even though the wireless chipset data sheet claims it does (I can only get a 802.11g connection anywhere I go, even at my desk 10 ft from my N router, unless there's an AC access point). Upside is I've wired every room in the house (sans kitchen, dining room, and garage) for ethernet.

Sigma X posted:

While waiting through the inevitable spam at the movie theater today waiting for Mad Max, I remarked to my girlfriend that the teenagers sitting to our left had probably never known going to a theater and NOT getting barraged with 20 minutes worth of ads before the movie, or a $4 ticket. She replied they'd also never known half-height seats, non-stadium seating, or those old, analog theaters where the image faded towards the edges.

I have a drat nice theater nearby.

(Reserved) stadium seating, full table service, full bar service, and best of all? NO ADVERTISEMENTS (except for upcoming events at the theater).

They even have a couple of 35mm projectors, and regularly host weird poo poo like "Quote Along with The Big Lebowski" (or on April 20th, they always run a stoner themed event - I think they did a Dazed and Confused Quote Along this year).

Tickets are usually :10bux: though, and food/drink prices are pretty high compared to what you'd pay in a normal restaurant (but not quite as obscene as what you'd pay for a soda in most theaters). Decent food though.

linky to DFW locations of this place, though they've expanding pretty quickly nationwide.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 17, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo Mad Max holy poo poo holy poo poo. I feel like I need to see it again because I probably missed so much.

e: http://io9.com/david-lynch-rejoins-showtimes-twin-peaks-revival-1704935167/+hudsonhongo HOLY poo poo

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 17, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I watched Road Warrior tonight. That one's still cool, right?

:ssh: I still have to watch Beyond Thunderdome

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Mad Max was every bit as amazing as people have been saying. Stayed through the credits just to see the massive list of fabricators, welders, drivers, and costume people. Really glad movies like that are still being made and I'm totally jealous of those who got to work on it.

Now to find a theatre with much bigger speakers and see it again
:black101:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ugh. Alignment on my rear driver side wheel is hosed. The bottom sticks out about an inch further than the top. It's only a few degrees from StanceWorks™ levels of bad. Hopefully it hasn't been like that long, those tires are expensive. :sigh:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Seriously. I know some of the more crotchety members are like "yeah Mad Max can't be as good as these fucktards are saying it is" but it's better.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MAD MAX :black101: :tviv:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I walked most of the 5k and finished at 53 minutes. Not sure if that's good or not but I was hoping to finish around 45 minutes. I'm trying to do three more 5ks this summer so I have a goal now.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

Ffffffuck. Been there before; router, DSL modem, and the onboard ethernet port in my PC got fried (along with anything not on a surge protector, like my microwave, and every surge protector in the apartment - came home to find some smoke in the place and several tripped breakers). Neighbors said the carport got hit by lightning.

Hope your TVs didn't get hosed.

The death toll ended up being:

Cable modem
Router
UVerse network access gateway (so no TV service at all)
UVerse power cable to TV receiver
The doorbell
And this bullshit: my garage door opener

All I can figure is the tree that was hit is right next to the underground power lines which caused the surge? Everything but the doorbell and garage door opener was on surge protectors but not a single one popped a fuse. The neighbor hasn't been home all day so no idea if anything of theirs got popped

I bought a new cable modem (arris sb6141) and Asus router that was highly recommended by several reviews. There's still a problem in the line that I may try and diagnose tomorrow if it would stop freakin raining.

TVs came thru unscathed. Everything else seems good.

mariooncrack posted:

I walked most of the 5k and finished at 53 minutes. Not sure if that's good or not but I was hoping to finish around 45 minutes. I'm trying to do three more 5ks this summer so I have a goal now.

Nice job. Keep at it. Rome wasn't built in a day

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I must be the only guy here that has absolutely 0 interest in seeing Mad Max.

Car chat: lol new Camaro.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I actually really like the new Camaro. Not enough to buy one, but I dig it. Kinda looks like a Mustang in profile, though

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

ilkhan posted:

Car chat: lol new Camaro.

It's horrendous isn't it? Glad to see Chevy still has the "let's gently caress up a good thing" mentality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Devyl posted:

It's horrendous isn't it? Glad to see Chevy still has the "let's gently caress up a good thing" mentality.

The current Camaro is good?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

The current Camaro is good?

I think he means that the car is technologically really great: it has good numbers on paper and is on a smaller chassis now (which seems to be well regarded), and the visual design is actually pretty good. But then they applied their "fortified bunker" design language, and hosed the proportions and usability/visibility all up; thus, ruining an otherwise good thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

I think he means that the car is technologically really great: it has good numbers on paper and is on a smaller chassis now (which seems to be well regarded), and the visual design is actually pretty good. But then they applied their "fortified bunker" design language, and hosed the proportions and usability/visibility all up; thus, ruining an otherwise good thing.

Ahhh, I thought we were just talking the design and styling.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Ahhh, I thought we were just talking the design and styling.

Personally, I really like the new design, if it weren't for the horrible archery-slit windows. Move the beltline down some, and I think it would be really attractive.

E: I did a quick-n-lovely hackjob for the other thread, here it is:

I didn't move the beltline very far, and I think it has a pretty big effect on how the car looks. You could take it further, of course, but if I was going to make all the edits I wanted I'd just end up with a lowered '68 Camaro with a modern suspension and drivetrain.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 17, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
That's not enough. The whole hood/window-line/trunk needs to move down 2 inches.
Thanks, pedestrian impact standards.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah, if the beltline was about where the mirror attaches, that would probably be best. I was just playing with it some more, and without completely fabricating the image I can't get it to look right.

E:
Sort of like that. Looks less aggressive this way, which I guess is part of the reason they did that? I could probably have preserved some of the original lines a bit better, but I'm done fussing with it for now.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 17, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tide posted:

The death toll ended up being:

Cable modem
Router
UVerse network access gateway (so no TV service at all)
UVerse power cable to TV receiver
The doorbell
And this bullshit: my garage door opener

All I can figure is the tree that was hit is right next to the underground power lines which caused the surge? Everything but the doorbell and garage door opener was on surge protectors but not a single one popped a fuse. The neighbor hasn't been home all day so no idea if anything of theirs got popped

Garage door openers tend to be really sensitive to a nearby strike. Your doorbell can probably be fixed for less than :20bux: with a new transformer, assuming it didn't fry the doorbell itself (get a multimeter, disconnect the 24V wires from the transformer, check the transformer for 24VAC on the screw terminals, check the now-disconnected wires to make sure there's not a dead short - if your doorbell button isn't lighted, you should see an open circuit, if it is, you should see a lot of resistance).

If you have a (hardwired) burglar alarm, you likely definitely have some fried door/window contacts too, possibly a zapped zone on the board itself (rare for the latter). You'll want to turn on the chime and open/close everything that's on it to see what's not responding - over the years I've replaced almost every sensor in the house, some of them more than once or twice (just depends where lightning strikes and how close it is; they eventually fail from age too if they're seldom-used contacts, like a window that's rarely opened). The alarm itself has always come out unscathed somehow. The contacts usually get welded shut after a nearby strike (they're NC contacts), so that some contacts don't even show that a door/window is open. Even recessed ones are easy to replace as long as there's enough slack in the wire though; I can get you part numbers and a website for recessed contacts that have screw terminals instead of wire leads if you have to do that.

I've been told in the past that a nearby strike can backfeed the grounding system in a house, which is generallytied to neutral in your breaker panel. Stuff with really thin wires anywhere (... like a doorbell, alarm system, and garage door opener) can also pick it up and get a zap. Motronic is definitely far more qualified than I am to chime in on that though. I know even getting closed to a power line that's touching the ground is dangerous without coming anywhere near into contact with it, as it electrifies the ground around it; lightning carries a hell of a lot more energy.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 17, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know you're hosed in the head when you see a minivan and think "that might be a good option as a DD for me."

And not a fun AWD van or anything.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's one of the fastest times I've seen the weather go from zero to bitch. I was outside 30 minutes ago and it was completely still, and dark.

Now my window is howling and there's thunder close enough that I'm convinced Thor is trying to see what it takes to make me poo poo myself, on top of some really heavy rain. Hopefully I won't be joining the The Tide Club of Fried Equipment tonight, but at the very least, it's very likely my power will poo poo out.

Rhyno posted:

You know you're hosed in the head when you see a minivan and think "that might be a good option as a DD for me."

And not a fun AWD van or anything.

I actually said that... at 17, about a friend's Caravan.

.... more because a friend's minivan was absolutely packed with speakers, amps, and subs, and I realized just how much room they had for that kind of stuff.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Holy poo poo that is clean :stare:

I need that in my life

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw a nice Mazda van in am LX trim and it sort of sang to me.

I quickly shook that off and drove like a loon on the way home. The Miata is good for getting poo poo like that out of your system. I am gonna need a new winter beater though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Minivans are the poo poo, suvs are for idiots.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
So sorry about your Opa, Taco Box.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

Minivans are the poo poo, suvs are for idiots.

Look at this glorious beast

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Story time. Sort of.

I had one of the most :clint: ever deliveries today. Far edge of our delivery area. Ticket stated I was to call when I arrived. It wound up being a massive house with a gate in front of it. So I called. Guy said he'd be out in a minute.

Guy comes barreling up to the gate... in a John Deere 4 wheeler of some kind. Covered in... stuff? Once he got off the 4 wheeler, I realized it was some form of animal poo poo. He's in boots, jeans, t-shirt.

He immediately blurts out "sorry, I've been cleaning up horse poo poo all day".

I honestly had no words beyond "wow, uh... sucks to be you? I'm sorry". He laughs, pays for his order, hops back on the 4 wheeler, and hauls rear end somewhere back into the property, and the gates close. As I'm backing out, a Chevy or GMC pickup of some kind is trying to pull in. As big as it was, I'd guess 3/4 or 1 ton, but I'd have to go pull the card out of my dashcam to figure that out. And that's a lot more :effort: than I want to use at this hour.

I really need to pull that video from my dashcam, I just hope I remember to before it gets overwritten (it's been so long since I pulled video from it that it has videos from early this year due to bumps/etc activating the G force sensor in it).

Another order made me realize just how fast my delivery area goes from suburbia:

to "where the gently caress am I?!":

There's about a mile difference between those. I honestly enjoy those deliveries to nowhere though - even the worst of them is only 4-5 miles each way (which was a typical delivery at Jet's, while a typical order at the Hut is 1-2 miles each way). It gives me a bit to just look around and take everything in and relax a bit, enjoy the scenery, really enjoy driving on curvy 2 lane roads for a change... instead of "goddamnit this idiot just pulled out doing 10 MPH on a 45 MPH road, then when I tried to go around, they cut me off again, gently caress YOUUUUUU". There's a lot of a relaxing that goes with those orders, it's mostly 2 lane roads (some of them dirt) with low speed limits. And I enjoy seeing the massive houses on massive plots of land; I'd hate to handle the yard maintenance, but if you're rich enough to buy a 7000 sq ft house on a few acres, you're rich enough to pay someone to handle the yard work. There's a good chunk of actual farms in that area too. The only "bad" delivery I had today was one where they entered the wrong phone # on an online order, and their credit card was declined (our point of sale is stupid picky about CVVs and billing zip codes).... then once I got out there (near the "where the gently caress am I?" pic), realized I forgot their drinks. :doh: (told them I'd run to the nearest store to get them, they said don't worry about it, so I gave them a credit that should apply automatically next time they order - had it been their first time ordering, we wouldn't have delivered it, but it turns out they swapped 2 digits on the phone number when they originally registered for online ordering). They still tipped very nicely, and said they only got the 2 liter because it was an online only bundle that took their order below what they'd pay for the same order (sans drink) if they'd ordered over the phone. Still feel lovely about it, and kept telling them I'd run up to the nearest store and grab the drinks; they insisted they only got it to get the coupon. So they have a credit for full retail of a couple of drinks (we charge $rape$ for drinks).

Delivered to 4 different cities today. I was hoping to break a bill ($100), fell short by $15, only because it died early. I hung out and tried to stay as late as I could in hopes of getting one more delivery, but I'm already close to hitting overtime if I work the remainder of my schedule (our weeks start on Tuesday for some hosed up reason, I still have 12 hours scheduled for the work week and I'm sitting close to 30 hours for the work week as it is).

Arriviste posted:

So sorry about your Opa, Taco Box.

What Arriviste said. :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 17, 2015

• Locked thread