Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I don't know how many little plastic planes I've stuck together in my life (including ancient Airfix ones) but I'm going to nominate the Testors 1/48th Supermarine S6B's wing-to-fuselage as the worst I've ever seen.

If you hold it up you can see daylight through it FFS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah putty is basically a requirement when making these older kits.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Anyway, last time around this discussion ended with me resolving to paint a king tiger with ambush camo plaid. Still working on that because I got busy building two other tanks and the SDF Macross. :downs:
Are you going to paint the SDF-1 in ambush camo plaid too? Because I'm not sure what that would achieve.

Totally want to see it now though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

I think Revell colours are sold near me and postage from here is dirt cheap so if I remember on Monday when I'll be going past the toy shop that stocks the stuff I'll just sort you out with the right pots.

It is utterly poo poo paint though TBH.

Thank you very much! That would be great - though don't feel obligated. I'm going to go through my existing paints/possibly order more paint and see if I can find an attractive splinter combo. I shall check around fabric shops and hardware stores for mesh, meanwhile...

Sanguine posted:

Close enough is not only good enough, but most likely quite accurate.

If I'm honest this is probably just over justification of sloppiness. But it feels right, man. :madmax:

And then you have to mix in color fading for scale, let alone that the original paint has not been redone since it left the factory a few years before...

Yeah, I think just trying to figure out what looks right is the best approach. I mean, this German modeller took the same route, I think, and the results are pretty sharp:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Soviet painting instructions tell you to use brick dust or mud if you can't find brown paint. There is no point in being picky about shades.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Pierzak posted:

Paint Soviet hardware and accuse all complainers of defeatism, reactionism and sabotage of the glorious people's arms industry :commissar:

I believe the period-correct term is "wrecking."

You'd know that if you weren't a filthy kulak.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 16, 2015

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can I complain about historical paint for a moment?

I have the Revell 1/72 Ju 290, which I'm building as the A-7 version. The airplane above has the FAGr 5 paint job, with a distemper of black green over its hellblau sides. Anyway, the FAGr 5 paint job is somewhat unusual, as its base was standard seaplane colors. These are an underside of light blue, with the standard German splinter on top. The colors on the splinter job vary widely depending on who's doing the coloring. The instructions call out RLM 74 and 75 for the splinter, which the color key at the front say is "olive grey" and "mouse grey" respectively. This doesn't help too much, as these colors are sold by Revell in Europe, but not here. Because I'm far away from physical hobby shops, I often have to hunt down analogous colors from what brands are available. The scale model helper is, for once, not being very much help. RLM 75 by this site is a 'grey-violet' sorta shade, and RLM 74 just baffles it. And then other bits of the internet start having their say, and staunchly maintain that German seaplane splinter camo was done with RLM 72 (green) and 73 (another, different green, probably black green.). Via IPMS Stockholm, here is there swatch of the three colors in question.

I've already made slightly-too-big brake lines. I may just look at many different shades for what they want, and see what pops for me. What do you gents think?
According to the Vallejo conversion charts, the closest Model Colours are
RLM 73 : VMC 896 Ger. Cam. Extra Dark Green
RLM 74 : VMC 867 Dark Bluegrey
RLM 75 : VMC 869 Basalt Grey

And the Model Air versions are
RLM 73 : VMA 71016 US Dark Green
RLM 74 : VMA 71054 Dark Blue Grey
RLM 75 : VMA 71128 Grey Violet

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Deanut Pancer posted:

According to the Vallejo conversion charts, the closest Model Colours are
RLM 73 : VMC 896 Ger. Cam. Extra Dark Green
RLM 74 : VMC 867 Dark Bluegrey
RLM 75 : VMC 869 Basalt Grey

And the Model Air versions are
RLM 73 : VMA 71016 US Dark Green
RLM 74 : VMA 71054 Dark Blue Grey
RLM 75 : VMA 71128 Grey Violet

Thanks for this; it turns out I have three of those colors :v:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Starting work on an Accurate Miniatures 1:48 Yak-1, the Lillia Litvyak version. The instructions are amazing, the kit looks amazingly over engineered and detailed for its scale and...

:stare:

Easy to remove but what the poo poo, there's the whole inside surface of the wings or fuselage you could have put that on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks for this; it turns out I have three of those colors :v:
You still want me to take a look on Monday for the Revell colours then? There's no need to go finding mesh for me BTW, they really are dirt cheap paints.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

You still want me to take a look on Monday for the Revell colours then? There's no need to go finding mesh for me BTW, they really are dirt cheap paints.

No, that's ok, if they are dirt cheap then I imagine I can scrounge better. Thanks for the offer, though! It is much appreciated.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Sauer posted:

Starting work on an Accurate Miniatures 1:48 Yak-1, the Lillia Litvyak version. The instructions are amazing, the kit looks amazingly over engineered and detailed for its scale and...

:stare:

Easy to remove but what the poo poo, there's the whole inside surface of the wings or fuselage you could have put that on.

It's a good anti-copy measure, since it makes it difficult to remold without either clear evidence of copying or potential damage to the panel detail through crappy machining. plus, most modelers will just file it off, anyway.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Drunk modeling (sober posting) on the king tiger that never ends. Working on the engine compartment no one will ever see.

The titty-gnoll is to prop up the rear piece while the glue dries. She is evidently interested in engine maintenance.

Painting tank guts is oddly therapeutic.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 17, 2015

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Itty Bitty Radio! :neckbeard:

First time using Photo-Etch. Its sort of annoyingly fragile and most of it is in places you'll never see. There's a half dozen pieces just for the rudder pedals which aren't visible unless you're sitting in the cockpit. Not going to be using most of it since the AMT Yak-1 is already ridiculously detailed. Going to use the radiator grates, seat belts and cockpit panels mostly, the rest of it is less detailed that what came with the kit.

^^ There is no reason titty gnoll can't be the commander of your tank. Get her a cool hat and plop her in the commander's hatch.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 17, 2015

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Trying it out a bunch more I'm finding Future to be the best thinner for Vallejo paints. Even better than their name brand stuff. Works almost as well as their own thinner but also leaves a really nice smooth satin finish that is nearly indestructible. Might be placebo effect but it also seems to cause a lot less dry tip.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Cockpit is done on Yellow 44. Accurate Miniatures were nuts. There's almost as many pieces in the cockpit as there are in the rest of the kit. I need to get something that isn't a cell phone camera at some point though. The colors look completely flattened. I went with a blue gray for the majority of the cockpit instead of the RLM 2 recommended in the instructions since I can't find a single picture of a Yak-1 that didn't have a gray pit. Sub-panels are in a much darker gray to add contrast. I used the highly scientific IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad as the reference for level and trim wheel colors. The positioning of the cannon shell return chute in this model would imply that the spent cannon shells were simply dumped into a bin between the pilot's legs. Anyone know if that's the case. Be amusing if the pilot pushed negative Gs.

Witcher 3 is out today so I think we can forget doing anything else on this for while.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 18, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Sauer posted:

Cockpit is done on Yellow 44. Accurate Miniatures were nuts. There's almost as many pieces in the cockpit as there are in the rest of the kit. I need to get something that isn't a cell phone camera at some point though. The colors look completely flattened. I went with a blue gray for the majority of the cockpit instead of the RLM 2 recommended in the instructions since I can't find a single picture of a Yak-1 that didn't have a gray pit. Sub-panels are in a much darker gray to add contrast. I used the highly scientific IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad as the reference for level and trim wheel colors. The positioning of the cannon shell return chute in this model would imply that the spent cannon shells were simply dumped into a bin between the pilot's legs. Anyone know if that's the case. Be amusing if the pilot pushed negative Gs.

Witcher 3 is out today so I think we can forget doing anything else on this for while.

That's totally mint. Looks great. You've put a gently caress load more effort into cock pits than I can ever be arsed to do.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
So, I've recently gotten into this scale model thing as well. Due to availability issues and a general lack of decent hobby stores(I'm in Belgium) I'm kinda stuck with the Revell stuff generally available in stores here, and I'm slowly learning as I go along. I've mainly gotten their 1:144 and 1:72 scale planes, and for christmas I got a Volkswagen Kastenwagen I haven't gotten around to yet.

So far I've assembled a few kits, but my main issue lies with correctly applying the decals: I seem to have trouble properly aligning them or making sure they stay in place(and in some cases they seem to vanish shortly after applying, mainly the small ones). Any tips or am I at the mercy of plopping them down according to the instructions and hoping I aligned them right?

Recent example(although it's 1:450 and I got it because it was dirt cheap):

I only discovered I put the long decal on this kit on a bit too far backwards when I got around to putting on the front bits(not shown in this picture) and I have no idea if it's safe to try and peel off the decal and re-apply somehow.

I'm currently working on the Revell 1:144 F-14A Tomcat and I'd like to avoid misaligned stuff, I'm kinda obsessed with details like that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smoke posted:

So far I've assembled a few kits, but my main issue lies with correctly applying the decals: I seem to have trouble properly aligning them or making sure they stay in place(and in some cases they seem to vanish shortly after applying, mainly the small ones). Any tips or am I at the mercy of plopping them down according to the instructions and hoping I aligned them right?

Decals go better on glossy than flat surfaces. The main tip is to use water with dish liquid in it for placing the decals. If you wet the surface with that solution and then apply the decal, you can move it around plenty without worrying about tearing. The other two thing that can help with decals are decal setting solutions. In North America we have micro-sol and micro-mark - I'm not sure what they use in Europe.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Decals go better on glossy than flat surfaces. The main tip is to use water with dish liquid in it for placing the decals. If you wet the surface with that solution and then apply the decal, you can move it around plenty without worrying about tearing. The other two thing that can help with decals are decal setting solutions. In North America we have micro-sol and micro-mark - I'm not sure what they use in Europe.

You can get micro-sol and micro-set here in Holland.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Micro-set is mandatory on all decals I apply for the exact reasons you mentioned and it never hurts to follow up with micro-sol to really get the decal to form fit to the curves and panel lines. Good stuff.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

Micro-set is mandatory on all decals I apply for the exact reasons you mentioned and it never hurts to follow up with micro-sol to really get the decal to form fit to the curves and panel lines. Good stuff.

Micro-Sol is just a stronger version of Micro-Set, so if you're going to use Sol in the end, you might as well just start with it and skip the Set.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For those who's backlogs are dangerously near manageable, Sprune Brothers is having a summer inventory sale.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nebakenezzer posted:

For those who's backlogs are dangerously near manageable, Sprune Brothers is having a summer inventory sale.

Lucky for me they don't appear to sell wooden boats. :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
God help me somebody talk me out of buying an IL-2 Sturmovik...

...did I say talk me out of? I meant recommend me a brand or specific IL-2 model.

edit-- actually, this looks like the only IL-2 in the sale.
http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/aca12286.htm

I don't really like the skis, I may just buy another tank...

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 22, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

COOL CORN posted:

...did I say talk me out of? I meant recommend me a brand or specific IL-2 model.

I bought the Accurate Miniatures IL-2 winter version with skis. I haven't had a chance to put it together, but there are wheels on the sprue, even though they are not mentioned in the manual.

Edit: oh that is an Accurate Miniatures rebrand. I haven't seen any others in 1:48th scale.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"EALRY VERSION" does not inspire confidence.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Does anybody have a recommended brand for a SH-60B Seahawk?

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 22, 2015

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

COOL CORN posted:

Tamiya and Italeri has the Il-2 in 1/48 scale too though If I recall the Italeri is a Accurate Minatures reboxing. The Tamiya kit is an all new mould and from what I hear its a very good kit.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM61113
https://www.hlj.com/product/ita2657/Air

everythingWasBees posted:

If you're looking for 1/72 scale, Hobby boss has the entire range, they're quite complete though the fitting can be a bit wonky.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

COOL CORN posted:

I've built the AM Il-2 and it's a nice model. It does come with wheels (at least the version I built), but the skis are a fine option - they don't have the right trimming instructions for the gear braces, though, so make sure you eyeball before you cut. From memory it says to cut 4 mm off and you really only need to take about 2mm off.

It is an early Il-2, though, from when they decided they didn't need a gunner in the back. If you're jonesing for a gun out the back window try another kit.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

everythingWasBees posted:

Italeri 1/48 is pretty good, and dirt cheap as well.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
My Father in Law has just returned from holiday after reading a book on the Long Range Desert Group and has just given me a 1:35 Tamiya Chevrolet CWT 30 truck and asked me to make it up for his upcoming birthday.

I'm really happy how it's coming along so far, it's a bit different as I've only done tanks at this scale (i.e all enclosed boxes) and the 1:48 planes you've seen earlier in the thread.

I bought some resin after market parts from Resicast and a Breda 20mm canon to mount in the rear compartment and so far we're looking like this:

big_g fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 25, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

big_g posted:

My Father in Law has just returned from holiday after reading a book on the Long Range Desert Group and has just given me a 1:35 Tamiya Chevrolet CWT 30 truck and asked me to make it up for his upcoming birthday.

I'm really happy how it's coming along so far it's a bit different as I've only done tanks at this scale (i.e all enclosed boxes) and the 1:48 planes you've seen earlier in the thread.

I bought some resin after market parts from Resicast and a Breda 20mm canon to mount in the rear compartment and so far we're looking like this:

Nice. If I wasn't busy building kits for wargaming purposes I'd go out and get a 1/35 kit with a bunc of after-market extras, just to try it out. It seems that there are not so many such parts for 1/48, at least not that I can find.

E: Now I know what I'll be doing this summer

1 x Brass Sheet 0.010in Thick (2 piece) SM2 (ALBSM2) = £4.69
1 x Italeri 1/48 Opel Blitz Kfz. 305 Truck # 6606 (ITL6606) = £12.82
1 x Tamiya 1/48 German Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.E/F # 32583 (TMY32583) = £11.69
1 x Tamiya 1/48 Kubelwagen Type 82 (Africa) # 32503 (TMY32503) = £9.89
1 x Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf109E-1 Weekend Edition # 84164 (EDRK84164) = £12.59

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 25, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

lilljonas posted:

Nice. If I wasn't busy building kits for wargaming purposes I'd go out and get a 1/35 kit with a bunc of after-market extras, just to try it out. It seems that there are not so many such parts for 1/48, at least not that I can find.

1 x Tamiya 1/48 German Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.E/F # 32583 (TMY32583) = £11.69
1 x Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf109E-1 Weekend Edition # 84164 (EDRK84164) = £12.59

Christ, with my current timescales that's at least 12 months of work.

big_g fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 25, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Wow, those are some dirt cheap kits :stare:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Stuff in The Pile:

• Zvesda 1/72 Mig-21bis (working on this atm)
  • Italeri 1/72 F-117 Nighthawk (needs painting, decals and general finishing touches)
  • Revell 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon
  • Mistercraft 1/72 F-16C
  • italeri 1/72 M48A2C Patton

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Hahahaha are we doing to-do lists now?

1/48:
Tamiya: P-51D, IL-2 , A6M Zero
ICM: U-2/Po-2VS

1/35
Dragon: Marder 3, Hetzer, Kettenkrad
Takom: KV-5
Tamiya: Sherman Firefly, Super Pershing, IS-3, M3 Grant, Cromwell, BT-7, Leopard 2 A6
Hobbyboss: T-26
Trumpteer: BM-21 Grad, T-64A

Granted my backlog wouldn't be so huge if I wasn't still working on doing a high quality build of a 1/350 USS Gambier Bay for the past year :shepicide:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Plastic models on my list of things to do:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hahahaha are we doing to-do lists now?

Well, my to-do list also includes large parts of a 28mm scale Stalino, or at least about two dozen buildings from Stalino and various other terrain features. :P That was just my recent shopping list. I also have built but not yet painted:

Tamiya 1/48 German 8-Wheeled Heavy Armored Car Sd.Kfz.232
Italeri 1/48 8.8cm Flak 37 Anti Aircraft Gun
Tamiya 1/48 Sd. Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. D

Once I've done all this chaff I'm going to treat myself to a big tank kit, maybe a Tiger or Jagdpanther. Not sure if I'll do it as a 1/48 for the wargaming stuff or as a 1/35 kit and go all out with the details and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Wow, those are some dirt cheap kits :stare:

Yeah, there are a lot of cheap stores in the US as well, but the risk of getting a random 40 bucks extra charge from custom keeps me buying from UK shops.
There's a local hobby shop just around the corner from me, but their 1/48 range sucks and the kits are twice as expensive. Might get a plane from them some day just to support them though.