Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Oh hey, a Five Nights at Freddie's sequel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

Update on my vendor/stalker:

Yeah.

He just had this delivered with a 2-card note.

:stare:

Is your sales guy jaegerx? He did make some comment a while ago about transitioning to sales.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I like that there's a line on someone's expense report now for two stuffed animals and balloons, purchased for a grown-rear end man.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Also someone left and their office had a Steelcase Leap. What I'm trying to say is that now my office has a Steelcase Leap.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Also someone left and their office had a Steelcase Leap. What I'm trying to say is that now my office has a Steelcase Leap.

I got one of these from a dude on Craigslist for my home office. Owns :respek:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wait, is Colonial AF a dude or a lady? If I had a vendor send me stuffed animals and balloons I don't know what the hell I would do. My brain really can't comprehend the scenario.

Solarwinds once sent me a nice polo shirt, a pen and a mouse pad. That was pretty cool.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
And is it more okay if they're a dude or a lady? Personally I think it's more okay if it's a dude. If it's a guy, it's goofy and harmless, if it's a girl I think it'd be weird.

e: Yeah I hadn't really read the whole story, a little more context makes basically every part of it annoying, I guess I was just responding more to the "gifts from vendor" thing

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 15, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A salesman sending a card mentioning your kids after you told them no would be off putting no matter what. Dude...stop begging, youre making it weird.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

And is it more okay if they're a dude or a lady? Personally I think it's more okay if it's a dude. If it's a guy, it's goofy and harmless, if it's a girl I think it'd be weird.

No, neither situation is okay... both situations are super creepy with one having a twist of weird.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

skipdogg posted:

Wait, is Colonial AF a dude or a lady? If I had a vendor send me stuffed animals and balloons I don't know what the hell I would do. My brain really can't comprehend the scenario.

Solarwinds once sent me a nice polo shirt, a pen and a mouse pad. That was pretty cool.

I'm a dude. So is homeboy.

Swag I'd take (CDW and PC Connection both have given me some cool poo poo). Bears and balloons are weird.

SaltLick posted:

A salesman sending a card mentioning your kids after you told them no would be off putting no matter what. Dude...stop begging, youre making it weird.

I know why he mentioned my kids (because he kept calling me at night, and I told him I had to go and put them to bed - I was pissed), but it definitely made it even more creepy to me.

The call at 10:30PM was already the final nail in the coffin. The emotional email confirmed that I made the right decision.

This guarantees that I will not only never recommend Axcient, I'll actively tell people to avoid them.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
In the greatest moment of irony in the last couple years I just happened to find a job posting for a Virtualization Admin here at my current unit, and funnily enough I just happened to get my VCP5 today and am now qualified (on paper) for the position. I'm going to talk to the team lead about it, and if they let me transfer to the position it would make the third contractor I've worked for here without having moved more than a couple rows of desks. There are three advantages right off the top - 1) I would no longer be working the weekend shift; 2) I would get out of Exchange; 3) It's a long-term contract, as opposed to the 2-1/2 month countdown we've got going on right now. If I can talk $6-12k more out of them then it would make things about perfect.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Daylen Drazzi posted:

In the greatest moment of irony in the last couple years I just happened to find a job posting for a Virtualization Admin here at my current unit, and funnily enough I just happened to get my VCP5 today and am now qualified (on paper) for the position. I'm going to talk to the team lead about it, and if they let me transfer to the position it would make the third contractor I've worked for here without having moved more than a couple rows of desks. There are three advantages right off the top - 1) I would no longer be working the weekend shift; 2) I would get out of Exchange; 3) It's a long-term contract, as opposed to the 2-1/2 month countdown we've got going on right now. If I can talk $6-12k more out of them then it would make things about perfect.

Congrats on getting the cert man!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I could sort of see a stuffed animal if it had a branded T-shirt or something. The kind of thing that says "I went to our room full of swag and grabbed one of the stuffed bears that we give away as prizes at trade shows"
And then I'd make sure the note was non-threatening like "Feel free to regift this guy if any of your co-workers or friends have kids that might like him! Let's meet up for lunch in a month to talk about how we can win your business next time you're looking to buy!"

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

He just had this delivered with a 2-card note.
The next delivery will be letters cutout from a magazine telling you that in order to get your family back you have to purchase their solution.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The interview I was talking about before is going to happen, next tuesday (after memorial day). I'm excited. I did not "apply" for the job but my buddy gave my resume and presumably a recommendation. Sounds like it's mine to lose (not by any means guaranteed, but as long as I'm not terrible it seems like I'll have a good shot). e: it sounds like I'm the only candidate interviewing

I like my current employer but am about at my breaking point with help desk (not to mention I'm not learning anything at this point). Ideally I'd have an offer and be able to go to my current job and see if they can match it. This won't happen for a number of reasons, if nothing else than it would be a dick move for my friend who got me the interview. Plus it doesn't sound like a good idea in general. The money and the job (it's a junior sysadmin although I think they have a different title for it) sound good so far, but I really hate the idea of driving to Pittsburgh.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 16, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Whose day was better than my day?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Not mine.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Methanar posted:

Mot nime.

Fixed.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
So does anyone have any advice on how to interview graduates since as they mostly have nothing relevant on their cv to ask them about

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

fluppet posted:

So does anyone have any advice on how to interview graduates since as they mostly have nothing relevant on their cv to ask them about

See how much they know about how the internet works with "you type in https://www.google.com and press enter, what happens?"

Figure out what sort of diagnostic chops they have with "someone reports a thing is giving an error, what can you do to figure it out?"

Depends a bit on what's relevant for your day to day stuff.

Also ask what side projects they do.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

fluppet posted:

what you really want to know is if they want to and have at least some aptitude to figure things out on their own. Everything else is on the job training for that kind of person.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

fluppet posted:

I was in an interview at my last job and they were asking the guy how he would go about debugging his home network if he couldn't load a website. He literally said he doesn't know how the internet is connected, his mom set it up. I really wish I wasn't in that room, it was so embarrassing. My manager asked him if his mom was going to help him do his job. We asked about what kind of equipment he was working with at his college and he didn't know what brand network equipment or what type of cables he was plugging into the ports they had them set up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

JHVH-1 posted:

I was in an interview at my last job and they were asking the guy how he would go about debugging his home network if he couldn't load a website. He literally said he doesn't know how the internet is connected, his mom set it up. I really wish I wasn't in that room, it was so embarrassing. My manager asked him if his mom was going to help him do his job. We asked about what kind of equipment he was working with at his college and he didn't know what brand network equipment or what type of cables he was plugging into the ports they had them set up.

Sweet Jesus, that's enough cringe to last me the weekend

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I have a few of go-to questions for entry-level to level 2 help desk applicants. I preface them with 'I know this is vague, but I am looking to see how you approach the issue rather than the right answer.'

1) You have a laptop that is not booting to Windows. How would you approach this problem? I am looking for things like 'is the boot order set correctly' because a LOT of people neglect the hardware and go right into Safe Mode to troubleshoot. Also acknowledging that a laptop may have a dead battery and to make sure it has power.

2) You have a networked printer that uses a print server. It is not working for one user in the department. Here I am NOT looking for networking issues to the printer because everyone else can print. This is for checking understanding of basic networking and drivers.

3) A user can't access a file share. Here I am looking for an account being locked out, proper permissions on the share, password issues, network connectivity, and PEBKAC.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 16, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

Sweet Jesus, that's enough cringe to last me the weekend
I once interviewed a boat mechanic who got hostile and accused me of laughing at him when I laughed at once of his anecdotes about a user

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

The guy we interviewed this week was almost this bad

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

NZAmoeba posted:

Figure out what sort of diagnostic chops they have with "someone reports a thing is giving an error, what can you do to figure it out?"

Depends a bit on what's relevant for your day to day stuff.

Also ask what side projects they do.

I find the above works quite well. I like to design hypothetical designs on a white board and have them walk me through the underlying
technologies and explain to me how they believe it to work, any issues they may see in it etc. To be honest I am not even looking for the
right answers, I am more interested in how they come to their answers, the logic they use as they try to walk through it.

Normally I am trying to evaluate their thought process more than anything.

Dont mind me though, I learned on the job and the above information could be absolutely terrible in the real world for all I know.

*edit*

I also just really like drawing network diagrams and finding people who are excited about them so there is that.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

fluppet posted:

I did an interview where the guy gave me a laptop and told me resolve why;
a. The Internet doesn't work on it
b. Why aren't certain characters of the keyboard aren't working properly

He also prefaced it by saying if I don't get to a point where I need admin credentials the test is an instant fail.

It was pretty much a test to find out how you work and what you know, the following gave points;
- Ethernet cable definitely plugged in
- Trying to resolve an address like google.com with a browser (failed)
- Ping said address (failed)
- Check network adapter settings (I think the IP and DNS settings were garbage, set it to DHCP and it reconnected)
- Try browser and ping again

- Check system locale (Set to US)
- Check language/keyboard settings (Set UK as default and remove US layout)

Running a Tracert would've been a bonus, I was supposed to ask for the static IP to use but the guy was satisfied by this point.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

insidius posted:

I find the above works quite well. I like to design hypothetical designs on a white board and have them walk me through the underlying
technologies and explain to me how they believe it to work, any issues they may see in it etc. To be honest I am not even looking for the
right answers, I am more interested in how they come to their answers, the logic they use as they try to walk through it.

Normally I am trying to evaluate their thought process more than anything.

Dont mind me though, I learned on the job and the above information could be absolutely terrible in the real world for all I know.

*edit*

I also just really like drawing network diagrams and finding people who are excited about them so there is that.
Quit hedging your responses and have some confidence! Whiteboarding is a great way to approach the interview process. I like anything that allows a candidate the freedom to be creative, because it inherently plays the interview to their strengths instead of their weaknesses.

I did an interview last week where I just let a candidate ask me questions for 45 minutes. That was fun, because I tend to micromanage things early on and over-control before I really get a sense for how someone works, so that's definitely one way to practice letting go.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

You were supposed to ask him for a static IP for use on a laptop? Really?

e: It looks like you started from the bottom (physical layer) and worked your way up. In my opinion that would be pretty much perfect - if I confirm the cable is actually plugged in my next question is usually "do i have an ip address?", so you pulled up the adapter config and noticed that no, the settings are garbage and then you set it to DHCP, got an ip address, and then it worked. Seems perfect to me.

Pinging or tracerouting would also clue you into the fact that you might not have a valid configuration for the adapter, but "i can't ping google" doesn't immediately mean "i need to ask someone for a static IP address".

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 16, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
My favorite scenario for when I get to interrogate interview applicants is to say that they're on call during the weekend and an executive is trying to print his powerpoint presentation (because that happens) and absolutely needs it ASAP before he gets on a plane that afternoon for some big conference. The executive's printer does not appear to be working, though the power is on. What can be done to get the presentation to him?

In that scenario, you get the standard printer troubleshooting, get to play-act the impatient executive during their troubleshooting thought process to see how they react to stress, and you get the rare outside-the-box thinker who realizes you could print to another network printer to get the guy out the door and worry about the printer later.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

How many people say: drive out to Kinko's?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
print it out and fedex that poo poo asap

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Quit your job, jump on linkedin

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MrMoo posted:

Would hire on site if they answered this.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Quit your job, jump on linkedin

If SH/SC ever got a subtitle the way FYAD and BYOB have, this should be it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

MrMoo posted:

I've gotten a few responses like this, usually from people who haven't worked in larger companies that have literal tons of printers laying around. If the exec was in the field this would be an obvious/viable answer, but the VP IT gets a frowny face when techs advise higher-ups at HQ to bypass IT infrastructure and go third party. And then people get fired.

Plus, Kinko's doesn't exist anymore, I don't think. :v:

Edit: VV :thejoke:

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 17, 2015

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

Plus, Kinko's doesn't exist anymore, I don't think. :v:
It's the FedEx Office or whatever they call it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Reiz posted:

You were supposed to ask him for a static IP for use on a laptop? Really?

I forget what the guy said precisely; but it basically boiled down that using DHCP is a good shout to get things moving, but afterwards I was supposed to check with him (Being the IT Manager) to use the proper network settings. It was essentially a philosophy thing about sloppiness I guess; rather than just making something work then dump it, resolve the issue and ensure it properly lines up with company infrastructure so that there's less of a chance of more problems in the future.

I actually got then declined that job; between a very minor pay bump and solid experience/leadership, I got my contract renegotiated for a much greater pay bump and the experience of control over everything with no leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OAquinas posted:

t the VP IT gets a frowny face when techs advise higher-ups at HQ to bypass IT infrastructure and go third party.

I'm surprised Fedex didn't go with a hybrid managed print service managing in house print services and the off-site print shop they do now. It follows the outsource-everything model some companies love.