Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

So all that matters is that the show's ratings improve? And it matters so much that making a profit, putting on a quality product, paying your employees, and providing for the health and safety of your performers should take a backseat so they can focus exclusively on retaining viewers for the first seven minutes?

Is... is this guy secretly Eric Bischoff? He must be Eric Bischoff.

(Seriously though, how can an audience member care more about the Nielsen ratings of their favorite TV show to the level that they think it should only be good long enough to register on the box and beyond that quality doesn't matter? It's mind-bending.)

I'd say it's completely ridiculous, but apparently the network was genuinely pissed to the point of cancelling all the extra programming they gave them 5 months ago because they only got 1/3 of the viewing audience from Spike (which for them is loving phenomenal), so there's nothing about this whole situation that isn't completely ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
DA were either delusional about the Spike audience following Impact, or they genuinely didn't know how a wrestling show works on TV or how to pop ratings for said wrestling show.

Both scenarios are a possibility.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

TNA's advertisers used to be BBW dating websites, batteries, and the insurance company that paid to get their name on the ring apron

The quality of their ads has gone down considerably since then. A cult used to advertise on destination america's TNA

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I just don't know what the hell DA thought they were getting. At least Spike is on every basic cable package and backed by Viacom. DA is on one of those super elite packages you only get because the cable company promised a free month of HBO and you figure why not, and then you're stuck with an extra 200 channels you'll never watch.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oatgan posted:

A cult used to advertise on destination america's TNA

Holy poo poo, what

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 16, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

RZApublican posted:

Holy poo poo, what
this ad used to run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg92rT6qgv8

this is the website http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/index.html

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You know what I do on Wednesdays? it's comic book day. Not wrestling day.

Who the gently caress watches wrestling when there's perfectly good comics to read?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mods, please namechange me to Fubbi Quantz.

Also when is ECKANKAR gonna validate the American Maitreya, Dan Quinn.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 16, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

coconono posted:

You know what I do on Wednesdays? it's comic book day. Not wrestling day.

Who the gently caress watches wrestling when there's perfectly good comics to read?

Pfft, comic books are for nerds

*watches wrestling dragons and ninja skeletons and magic medallions that grant literal immortality*

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
TNA should repackage James Storm as ECKANKAR for a cool product tie in

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How you doin' Kata Daki?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

How many households does El Rey have compared to DA? I'd love to see the TNAMecca meltdown if Lucha Underground does better ratings than Impact on Wednesday nights.

Lucha Underground gets about 35,000 viewers on Wednesdays.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

For all the poo poo TNA gets, Lucha Underground's business model seems just as unsustainable and bad. Oh and from what I've heard Destination America isn't upset so much about the ratings just that none of the new TNA audience has stuck around for their other shows, and more importantly, they can't get anyone to buy ads for iMPACT (or at least not at the prices that they would get for any non-wrestling show doing comparable ratings)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

goc posted:

For all the poo poo TNA gets, Lucha Underground's business model seems just as unsustainable and bad.

Lucha Underground isn't a business.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
No, but the El Rey Network is.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

Great art isn't always appreciated in its time.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...

Great White Hope posted:

Lucha Underground isn't a business.

So it's a charity giving work to wrestlers? Still gonna need to make money somehow even if it is going to exist solely as a TV show with no plans to ever tour.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

goc posted:

For all the poo poo TNA gets, Lucha Underground's business model seems just as unsustainable and bad. Oh and from what I've heard Destination America isn't upset so much about the ratings just that none of the new TNA audience has stuck around for their other shows, and more importantly, they can't get anyone to buy ads for iMPACT (or at least not at the prices that they would get for any non-wrestling show doing comparable ratings)

Yeah, it was pretty much insanity to think they would be able to start running house shows this summer with the limited penetration they were sure to have.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I watch everything on DA that isn't TNA.

New season of BBQ Pitmasters starts in a couple weeks!!!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

goc posted:

Doesn't Lucha Underground also run on UniMás? I remember hearing months ago or something that they usually pull in 300,000 viewers a week from UniMás.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...

RZApublican posted:

Doesn't Lucha Underground also run on UniMás? I remember hearing months ago or something that they usually pull in 300,000 viewers a week from UniMás.

300,000 viewers is nice but wrestling shows are expensive to produce and bring in less ad revenue than other shows that get the same ratings. I would love to see Lucha Underground succeed but it seems like a real long shot to keep a wrestling show going based solely on ad revenue. Ring Ka King couldn't even do that in India where reports were that the audience was like 2-3 million viewers. Plus you would imagine their costs would have been lower with half of their crew being new trainees.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
LU's gonna need to start putting brands on wrestlers' tights like Nascar drivers' cars.

Drago, sponsored by Castrol GTX.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sticklefifer posted:

LU's gonna need to start putting brands on wrestlers' tights like Nascar drivers' cars.

Drago, sponsored by Castrol GTX.

He'd be sponsored by Firestone Tyres surely?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Alain Post posted:

No, but the El Rey Network is.

And the El Rey Network is Robert Rodriguez's pet project.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Luigi Thirty posted:

And the El Rey Network is Robert Rodriguez's pet project.

Yes, and the Panda Energy/Ted Turner money will keep coming forever.

And I get that TNA is still around but aspiring to TNA's business model doesn't seem to be a good move.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I feel like Meltzer saying "this isn't 'dave meltzer speculation' these are facts" on the latest pod is a direct result of tnamecca conspiracy theorists coming up in his mentions

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I know that more competition is good for the wrestling business, but I want Impact to get canceled so bad just to see how these guys try to spin it as Meltzer still being totally off base

'with Impact now free to be released for free on Youtube, it can reach a far bigger audience than ever before. Destination America was just holding TNA back'

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I know that more competition is good for the wrestling business, but I want Impact to get canceled so bad just to see how these guys try to spin it as Meltzer still being totally off base

'with Impact now free to be released for free on Youtube, it can reach a far bigger audience than ever before. Destination America was just holding TNA back'

Every month they'd say "they're coming back any day now, just you watch"

The only question is if that would be sadder than what they're currently doing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I want to see what happens when WWE buys the TNA tape library.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Alain Post posted:

Aside from thunderous laughter?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Alain Post posted:

Are You Serious? comes back and never goes away

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alain Post posted:

Vince wonders what happened to that dollar bill that was in his wallet on Tuesday on a Friday, because he really wanted that Baby Ruth. Then he remembers buying TNA. Old age is a bitch.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Would Vince even want the tapes for anything more then just to hoard them so no one else could have them?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

You could probably do something with the Angle/Hardy/Sting/Joe footage for DVD/network purposes once TNA is dead and the first 2 come back for legends deals. And it's not like anyone else is going to bid for it so it'll be cheap.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Marquis de Pyro posted:

TNA has never been competition anyway

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

duyarvish posted:

Would Vince even want the tapes for anything more then just to hoard them so no one else could have them?

Why not just burn them in that case.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

sticklefifer posted:

Please think of the environment. TNA would destroy it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

sticklefifer posted:

I am now envisioning the TNA Mecca propagandists virulently advocating a "scorched earth" policy when TNA finally collapses, so as not to give the WWEnemy a single thing they can use in their favor. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Oh no, I'm sure they would be blaming Meltzer for TNA being canceled.