Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Howard Phillips posted:

If I'm planning on getting out is it worth my time qualifying EOOW? Still haven't slated but hoping against hope not to go engineering.

From what I remember the detailers said only guaranteed way to avoid engineering on your second tour was to get your EOOW, but I know plenty of people that got sweetheart deals just by simply asking for them and getting their captain's to back them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Jesus, no. I wasn't allowed to qualify EOOW (CHENG on my first tour would only qualify mustangs) and I went to a carrier to qualify TAO for my second tour. gently caress engineering.

Wow that CHENG sounds like a complete douche nozzle because EOOW is basically a requirement for SWOs to continue.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Wow that CHENG sounds like a complete douche nozzle because EOOW is basically a requirement for SWOs to continue.

Yeah he was a tremendous rear end in a top hat, as was the CO. gently caress SWO, and especially gently caress the gator navy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also, you had an absolute poo poo captain if he let a DH completely block a major milestone in the SWO pipeline. He looks better by sending out more EOOW qualified officers than not.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, you had an absolute poo poo captain if he let a DH completely block a major milestone in the SWO pipeline. He looks better by sending out more EOOW qualified officers than not.

I could tell so many stories about that loving CO. For example, he refused to pin a SWO(N) because he didn't want to lose a JO while on deployment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah he was a tremendous rear end in a top hat, as was the CO. gently caress SWO, and especially gently caress the gator navy.

Posted at the same time and answered that question!

My last cheng was a bit of a pushover. It wasn't uncommon to have to go wake him up and drag him to the skipper for whatever reason. Our EMO usually ran the EOOW boards as a result.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I could tell so many stories about that loving CO. For example, he refused to pin a SWO(N) because he didn't want to lose a JO while on deployment.

Had the guy been to SWOS? That might have actually came into play. We had a few guys do SWO boards on deployment but none were officially pinned until after so they could go to Rhode Island from home instead of Bahrain.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Had the guy been to SWOS? That might have actually came into play. We had a few guys do SWO boards on deployment but none were officially pinned until after so they could go to Rhode Island from home instead of Bahrain.

Yeah, she went two months before deployment with me and a few other JOs.

A while back I was chatting with a guy who was a JO on the Cowpens and we swapped stories. This guy was at least as bad as Graf and in a lot of the same ways.

One time he screamed his head off at the food service officer because his sunny side up eggs were runny. He told me to have my sailors painting over the side underway at night in the rain. I wish I were making this stuff up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:lol: my captains were awesome.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Commodore's I worked for, otoh...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
At the beginning of the deployment, a copy of "Mister Roberts" was being passed around the wardroom. By the end, it was a copy of "The Caine Mutiny." Same problem really - how do you tell someone who wasn't there that it really was that bad and that you aren't just a whiner?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Dont have my EOOW... Currently on a flight to Naples in the service of my duties in like the greatest job that a SWO could do.

gently caress engineering

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
yeah but TLAM is like the engineering of the weapons world

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
The metal, Navy issue, coffee pot that was installed outside the bridge on my first ship was dented because in a fit of rage the CO, who was pouring coffee at the time, hurled it across the pilot house at the OOD who had made him mad.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

ManMythLegend posted:

The metal, Navy issue, coffee pot that was installed outside the bridge on my first ship was dented because in a fit of rage the CO, who was pouring coffee at the time, hurled it across the pilot house at the OOD who had made him mad.

did the ood do whatever it was again

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

krispykremessuck posted:

did the ood do whatever it was again

Funny enough, yes. Same OOD, same Captain.

One day the OOD made him angry again and the CO grabbed the big 3" Standing Orders Binder (the largest, mobile, object within his reach from his chair on the bridge), screamed, "WHOSE SHIP IS THIS MOTHER FUCKER!", and hurled it at his head. He missed and hit a window causing the binder to explode and rain paper around the bridge.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Was your CO Gene Hackman?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ManMythLegend posted:

One day the OOD made him angry again and the CO grabbed the big 3" Standing Orders Binder (the largest, mobile, object within his reach from his chair on the bridge), screamed, "WHOSE SHIP IS THIS MOTHER FUCKER!", and hurled it at his head. He missed and hit a window causing the binder to explode and rain paper around the bridge.

Did he make the OOD pick them up?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I assume neither instance woke the lookouts up, those undes seamen need to be well rested.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm sorry, but how the gently caress do people let this poo poo happen to them? I know people say poo poo like this, but seriously: if that was my CO and I'd be going straight to IG. People might shake in their boots about what the big-bad CO may do to them in retribution, but let's be real. It's the 21st century, if any officer physically accosts or assaults another officer (or enlisted, or anyone else) they're hosed.

I was in Yoko during the Graf era and knew several JOs on her ship (who eventually were cross-decked when she was relieved because the ship was welded to the pier). I've heard all of the stories, and I just don't understand how the gently caress people could sit there any take that. Your career notwithstanding, if your CO physically touches/assaults/hits/throws poo poo at you there's no loving way he or she should be getting away with it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

I'm sorry, but how the gently caress do people let this poo poo happen to them? I know people say poo poo like this, but seriously: if that was my CO and I'd be going straight to IG. People might shake in their boots about what the big-bad CO may do to them in retribution, but let's be real. It's the 21st century, if any officer physically accosts or assaults another officer (or enlisted, or anyone else) they're hosed.

I was in Yoko during the Graf era and knew several JOs on her ship (who eventually were cross-decked when she was relieved because the ship was welded to the pier). I've heard all of the stories, and I just don't understand how the gently caress people could sit there any take that. Your career notwithstanding, if your CO physically touches/assaults/hits/throws poo poo at you there's no loving way he or she should be getting away with it.

You got witnesses willing to back you up? If not, you're in deeper poo poo.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

You got witnesses willing to back you up? If not, you're in deeper poo poo.

The OOD is not the only motherfucker on the bridge. Given any watch configuration, you're going to have an OOD, conn, bright-bridge (or not), QM, BMOW, helm/leehelm, JOOD (or not).

Graf put a Master Chief in loving time-out in CIC. Literally made the man stand with his nose in the corner like a loving child (and he did it). There would have been what, 2-3 DOZEN witnesses?

She threw a full cup of coffee at a JO *in the wardroom during lunch*.

She berated a male ENS so badly during an sea & anchor pre-brief that the dude cried. Yea.

She wouldn't let OPS speak to her directly, he literally had to have a "translator" with him at all times in her presence. Not a joke.

There are 300+ people on a CG and you're in the middle of the loving ocean. The question is more aptly "who DIDN'T see this poo poo going down?"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

The OOD is not the only motherfucker on the bridge. Given any watch configuration, you're going to have an OOD, conn, bright-bridge (or not), QM, BMOW, helm/leehelm, JOOD (or not).

Graf put a Master Chief in loving time-out in CIC. Literally made the man stand with his nose in the corner like a loving child (and he did it). There would have been what, 2-3 DOZEN witnesses?

She berated a male ENS so badly during an sea & anchor pre-brief that the dude cried. Yea.

She wouldn't let OPS speak to her directly, he literally had to have a "translator" with him at all times in her presence. Not a joke.

There are 300+ people on a CG and you're in the middle of the loving ocean. The question is more aptly "who DIDN'T see this poo poo going down?"

"willing to back you up"

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Ya'll just proved the best NEC is 92 proof in the civ rating.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Pandasmores posted:

Ya'll just proved the best NEC is 92 proof in the civ rating.

Quoted for proof. Err, truth...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Wow those are some hosed up stories.

When my boat did it's loving moronic 52 degree down angle while at PD doing a backing bell and EVERYONE IN CONTROL FORGOT THE CONTROLS WERE REVERSED AND MADE THE poo poo WORSE the skipper climbed into control from his stateroom and yelled at them "what the gently caress are you fuckers doing to my loving submarine?!?!?!" and yelled at the CoW to blow the forward group.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

buttplug posted:

How did she not end up over the side?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

How did she not end up over the side?

blanket of fear

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ded posted:

Wow those are some hosed up stories.

When my boat did it's loving moronic 52 degree down angle while at PD doing a backing bell and EVERYONE IN CONTROL FORGOT THE CONTROLS WERE REVERSED AND MADE THE poo poo WORSE the skipper climbed into control from his stateroom and yelled at them "what the gently caress are you fuckers doing to my loving submarine?!?!?!" and yelled at the CoW to blow the forward group.

I'll never forget the day when the DDG took a 17 degree roll during a turn. The phone rang immediately with the CO screaming followed by the SWO coming up the pilothouse and mustering all bridgewatchstander officers on the bridge wing and screaming at the OOD who boldly took the blame even though someone else had ordered the turn.

In his though defense the turn was made using less than 15 degree rudder and the weather was poo poo. In fact we had been doing 1MC every hour or so reminding everyone to stay inside the skin of the ship and be careful when transiting. After that episode though we would make an announcement on the on 1MC every time we turned. Sigh.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

I'll never forget the day when the DDG took a 17 degree roll during a turn. The phone rang immediately with the CO screaming followed by the SWO coming up the pilothouse and mustering all bridgewatchstander officers on the bridge wing and screaming at the OOD who boldly took the blame even though someone else had ordered the turn.

17 degrees? What a pussy.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
SWOs are hosed up (sorry goon SWOs). I just had a SWO in a course I just finished tell me he once witnessed the CO of a ship hit his OPSO in the face with a binder hard enough to make his nose bleed. I don't care if you're the CNO I would respond in kind. The only aviation officer who ever yelled at me was then CAPT Gortney (now NORTHCOM) and he pretty much yelled at everyone at one time or another. But he never physically assaulted anyone.

e: The sad thing about this post is that I'm forced to agree with buttplug. I've pretty much said the exact same thing he said about Graf that I've said to other people.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

17 degrees? What a pussy.

On a DDG tho that poo poo can be rough. Still no minesweep level of rollercoaster seaworthiness.

vulturesrow posted:

SWOs are hosed up (sorry goon SWOs). I just had a SWO in a course I just finished tell me he once witnessed the CO of a ship hit his OPSO in the face with a binder hard enough to make his nose bleed.

Agreed SWOs can be rather extreme. On my first ship (big deck amphip) the LDO CDR DH threw a chair at one of the 2nd tour divos for disagreeing with him and making a recommendation. My DIVO hated the Navy so much that he gave me an hour and a half speech on why I shouldn't try to become an officer when I put in my USNA package. But we were standing in the p-way outside the OPSO's stateroom and he heard part of the conversation. DIVO got called into be yelled at for trying to discourage me from applying. Was super awkward for me as a little E-3.

The culture of the community is such that ability to take abuse is seen as a badge of honor. People will complain to no end about stupid bosses, programs, and situations but when all is said and done they're all like "my life is harder than yours" in a big dick measuring contest. Unhealthy environment.

But the saving grace is that not all wardrooms are like this. I think overall the new generation of SWOs are getting much better. The sad part is outside of work most SWOs senior to me have been really nice people but the stress seems to turn to them into huge assholes at work.

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 16, 2015

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

e: The sad thing about this post is that I'm forced to agree with buttplug.

The true measure of how hosed up SWO land is.

The only place I can think of in aviation where you sometimes get [verbally] abusive people is flight instructors. Everyone can remember That One rear end in a top hat who always yelled at you and made you feel like an idiot. And they don't get called out on it, since the targets are poor little ensigns who are just trying to make it to the next syllabus event. But I'd like to think that even a CO would get shitcanned pretty quick for the kind of physical incidents that you hear about from SWOs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lol if someone ever hit me in the face with a binder, you better loving bet I'm going to swing back.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 16, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The true measure of how hosed up SWO land is.

The only place I can think of in aviation where you sometimes get [verbally] abusive people is flight instructors. Everyone can remember That One rear end in a top hat who always yelled at you and made you feel like an idiot. And they don't get called out on it, since the targets are poor little ensigns who are just trying to make it to the next syllabus event. But I'd like to think that even a CO would get shitcanned pretty quick for the kind of physical incidents that you hear about from SWOs.

The poor little ensigns don't know that this isn't just the way things are and the department heads are either the kind of rear end in a top hat who thinks that it's the way things should be or just want to keep their heads down and make it to the next wicket.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

But yeah either that OPSO is bitchmade or possesses an ungodly amount of restraint, there's some poo poo you Just Don't Do to another person, flinging a binder at their face is one of them.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

buttplug posted:

This is actually pretty hilarious. I wish some of our Tagalog ESL speaking sailors came with a translator.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One of my friends got put into the same stateroom as his OPS on his first day on the ship. The first thing out of OPS's mouth to him was "If you touch my computer (the nipr/sipr machine with a kvm in the stateroom) I will break your loving fingers."

I never really had anyone yell at me too much. Didn't really ever cause a violent reaction and never saw any, although my captain did look ready to kill a motherfucker when a couple of the GMs powered up and cycled the 5" gun loader while he was standing outside during the DESRON change of command.

I did have a commodore steal a grand from me for t-shirts, though, so I guess I took the coffee mug without swinging back. I actually stumbled upon my recruit division's photo. Sadly they weren't wearing any of the visible t-shirts, but they are proudly carrying his flag that he was content to pay for with government funds. If only I had ordered the t-shirts a month earlier when I ordered the flag.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
So anybody know how life is on the Reagan compared to the GW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
the Reagan is in San Diego, for one

• Locked thread