Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

scandoslav posted:

Well color me baffled, then. I can hardly wait to see what historical band of misfits we'll be the "2.0" of next.

The Imperium is probably everything SirMolle dreamed BoB would be so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Viva Miriya posted:

The Imperium is probably everything SirMolle dreamed BoB would be so there's that.

:frogout:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Tell me I'm wrong.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I bet he'd call his poo poo the Imperium too. They probably would have gotten past their anime phase by now anyway.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

But we don't have pets.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

They probably would have gotten past their anime phase by now anyway.

says the guy with a Robotech av :v:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Viva Miriya posted:

Tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Man, I'm in some kind of signup limbo. :wom:

I emailed the newbie help thing, but at this point I've got access to the forums, but can see no actual forums, the link to set up mumble and jabber redirects to the returning vets page, and the private wiki pages ask me to log in, but the login link leads to a missing special page message.

So far I'm training some skills up as per the wiki, but I don't think I completed the tutorials right since I skipped them on my main char like an idiot, and then started them on another char to get the ropes then switched back to my main and :supaburn: etc.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

You're wrong.

Ok pubbie who probably j4g'd into the fleet and never was around for the forever war.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

orange juche posted:

says the guy with a Robotech av :v:

I grew into mine?!?!?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

CainFortea posted:

But we don't have pets.

You call them allies and treat them better. Notice how I said

Viva Miriya posted:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Viva Miriya posted:

You call them allies and treat them better. Notice how I said

tbf I get the impression that being able to go on space power trips was a core part of the SirMolle experience, so I doubt his fantasy space empire involved treating his vassals with even a facade of civility.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Voyager I posted:

tbf I get the impression that being able to go on space power trips was a core part of the SirMolle experience, so I doubt his fantasy space empire involved treating his vassals with even a facade of civility.

The lesson that not taking a gigantic poo poo on people makes them more likely to cooperate is a hard one.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
Being able to abandon or commissar any of their pets at any time was definitely a fundamental part of the whole GBC thing. There wasn't even the thinnest veneer of equal treatment; if you were in a pet alliance, you were lucky to be treated like a second-class citizen and maybe allowed to come on a strategic op if you belonged to one of the few alliances that weren't just an income source (like EXE).

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I just resubbed last week to give Eve another shot. Should I move my ships from VFK and JU- to another location or are they gonna be safe there?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Viva Miriya posted:

Ok pubbie who probably j4g'd into the fleet and never was around for the forever war.

Okay dude with the anime av who posts pictures of his dick on the Internet.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mikey posted:

Being able to abandon or commissar any of their pets at any time was definitely a fundamental part of the whole GBC thing. There wasn't even the thinnest veneer of equal treatment; if you were in a pet alliance, you were lucky to be treated like a second-class citizen and maybe allowed to come on a strategic op if you belonged to one of the few alliances that weren't just an income source (like EXE).

Why would anyone reasonably want to abandon or commissar allies or pets? Even though we could and have collectively kicked out alliances and corporations, what we seem to greatly prefer is to re-brand existing groups. Instead of kicking Entity X and its n characters with z supers and so on, we can just invite everyone in Entity X minus the people we definitely do not want to stick around to shift their identity to Entity Y and in so doing keep a large percentage of those characters and supers and other assets and infrastructure. It makes far less sense to burn down an entire bridge or even a single pillar when you can instead just isolate and excise an offending human being of dross.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nietzschean posted:

human being of dross.

That's a new unit of measure for dross.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So how the gently caress am I supposed to get a fight in lowsec that doesn't instantly start on scram range? If I camp inside a plex, nobody comes except people who have backup or who can run my slicer down, and if I look for camped plexes, it's nothign except scramkiters or brawlers sitting right on the warpin.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

CommonShore posted:

So how the gently caress am I supposed to get a fight in lowsec that doesn't instantly start on scram range? If I camp inside a plex, nobody comes except people who have backup or who can run my slicer down, and if I look for camped plexes, it's nothign except scramkiters or brawlers sitting right on the warpin.

Isn't low sec great?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is exploration much for actually making money in nullsec and/or goonspace? I've been loving around in highsec and C1/2 wormholes while waiting to be moved out of Vacationers, and it's not exactly a cornucopia of funds so far. (Not that I expected it to be yet, mind.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ciaphas posted:

Is exploration much for actually making money in nullsec and/or goonspace? I've been loving around in highsec and C1/2 wormholes while waiting to be moved out of Vacationers, and it's not exactly a cornucopia of funds so far. (Not that I expected it to be yet, mind.)

Exploration can make good isk in Deklein. There are even goon businesses which will will split the profits of a plex that you scan down, 50-50, so you find it, someone will come in to run it, and then you can moonwalk off to your next thing knowing that your wallet will get a push.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

Can't speak for up where CFC/Imperium are, but yes Null exploration is far more profitable than Highsec.

I make about a billion ISK every two weeks or so by doing only Relic sites in Null. Mostly you just go to the site, cargo scan, hack, loot the goodies, move them to your staging and then ship to Jita to sell. I've found armor plates and nanite compound you pick up from the sites to be the big money makers. You can come across BPCs but they're usually not high value. You can do the sites in WHs but they have NPCs you have to worry about where as in Null there aren't any.

Edit - vvv Yeah, the RNG is pretty annoying but that's what the cargo scanner is for so you can find cans worth the hassle. The hacking is of course harder in Null and I found even having Level 4 skills for the relic related skills and tech knowledge it can be aggravating at times when you gently caress up a puzzle.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 17, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Exploration is pretty RNG heavy. Sometimes you'll make bank (I made 50 mil in highsec off of a single good drop) other times you will get a cargo full of carbon.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

CommonShore posted:

Sit on the outside of the plex, 20 down. Anything that doesn't immediately slide into the gate, you can point. Burn out and warp off if backup arrives.

This is one of the downsides of long kiters. The only alternative is burning out of scram range before they can finish locking you, which doesn't always work.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ullerrm posted:

Sit on the outside of the plex, 20 down. Anything that doesn't immediately slide into the gate, you can point. Burn out and warp off if backup arrives.

This is one of the downsides of long kiters. The only alternative is burning out of scram range before they can finish locking you, which doesn't always work.

I'm 0 for 2 for heating my MWD and getting out of scram range. Strangely enough I won the second fight by managing to get outside of a breacher's rocket range, while still scrammed, for long enough to rep my armor up.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

CommonShore posted:

Camp the outside of a plex gate, bonus points for being outside of dscan range of the higher traffic gates. Alternatively, don't bring slicer. You can preheat your mwd and try to coast far enough out of scram to fight but you prob want a web or something for that.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Ciaphas posted:

At the point your character is, isk is hard to come by. As far as I can remember, there's no low level activity that really brings in isk. Some people actually complain about losing money in lvl 1 missions in high sec due to repairs being higher than the rewards, but then they might just be really bad. Once you get some sp under your belt (have proper support skill), exploration will make you decent iskflow. Or you can always just do like a lot of people and just afk with an Ishtar while playing something else. I would think its preferable than actively shooting at red crosses.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 17, 2015

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No, his character is at a point where it's pretty easy to get isk since he isn't a j4g and can actually get into the promised land.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CainFortea posted:

No, his character is at a point where it's pretty easy to get isk since he isn't a j4g and can actually get into the promised land.

True. But I meant more in the sense of game mechanics. Without other people's intervention. Once he's in, I'm sure people will shower him with isk.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, question: I tried EVE a year or more ago, no goons but I liked the idea of being nice to each other and focusing on economics and exploring and other carebear poo poo, so I joined Eve Uni. Lots of nice people but ho boy did I have trouble with the red tape- if you told me that they had an official policy called double-secret probation, I wouldn't be surprised.

To that end, if I found that level of bureaucracy to be a deal breaker, would I be unlikely to have any more fun puttering around with goons? All I wanted to do in E-uni was be a space trucker and screw around in wormholes occasionally stealth bomb the poo poo out of RvB, and after something like 4+ months had gone by and they still said I wasn't allowed to do any of that, I just kinda got bored and quit.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 17, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

would I be unlikely to have any more fun puttering around with goons?

You poor sad bastard.

In every conceivable sense; yes (you would have more fun with Goons).

If you want to do wormholes and want to do hauling for wormholes specifically I have no doubt that hole squad would embrace you in its hoary 3 nippled bosom. But holy poo poo just join goons and spend some time farting about Dek and jumping into fleets and stuff.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 17, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

See, that's what I was hoping carebear eve was! I went through this weird circlejerk with E-Uni where they wanted EWAR, so I skilled it, then they went "Nono, we need logi," so I skilled that, then they went "Wait a minute, you don't have enough seniority to do logi, you have to skill for tackling first," then my head exploded. And yes, wormholes are the bomb- the best part of EU was the way they named every wormhole after a breakfast food.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

See, that's what I was hoping carebear eve was! I went through this weird circlejerk with E-Uni where they wanted EWAR, so I skilled it, then they went "Nono, we need logi," so I skilled that, then they went "Wait a minute, you don't have enough seniority to do logi, you have to skill for tackling first," then my head exploded. And yes, wormholes are the bomb- the best part of EU was the way they named every wormhole after a breakfast food.

:wtf: Seniority to do logi?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Dalael posted:

:wtf: Seniority to do logi?

To be fair, I don't think that's corp doctrine- I read their wiki before doing any noobs on patrol/other fleets, and it just went "Here's the roles, here's the skills you need, hear us and obey," but there were only a handful of officers who ran noob fleets when I had time to join one, and they all assigned people based on seniority: your first... 5 fleets, I think, you had to be tackle, then you were EWAR for another handful, then you were logi, and I think after 10-15 fleets you were allowed to kitchen sink it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Omi no Kami posted:

To be fair, I don't think that's corp doctrine- I read their wiki before doing any noobs on patrol/other fleets, and it just went "Here's the roles, here's the skills you need, hear us and obey," but there were only a handful of officers who ran noob fleets when I had time to join one, and they all assigned people based on seniority: your first... 5 fleets, I think, you had to be tackle, then you were EWAR for another handful, then you were logi, and I think after 10-15 fleets you were allowed to kitchen sink it.

They're laying the mortar on thick to keep those bricks in place. :v:

We don't need no Eve-uni education. Teacher leave those newbies alone.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The curse of middle-management isn't just confined to Brave.

And to think, it was even worse when Kelduum and cohort were running the show :psyduck:

Lack of Gravitas fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 17, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Of course, I make a good show of complaining about top brass, but when left to my own devices I will do something stupid ten times out of ten. (Some friends asked me to play forward scout for their mining fleet once, I did so in a Badger on the basis that who would ever expect a T1 hauler to be a scout.)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Omi no Kami posted:

Of course, I make a good show of complaining about top brass, but when left to my own devices I will do something stupid ten times out of ten. (Some friends asked me to play forward scout for their mining fleet once, I did so in a Badger on the basis that who would ever expect a T1 hauler to be a scout.)

I like you already. Hurry up and :getin: in so I can throw some isk on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

:allears:

Seriously though that seniority thing is bullshit. I can kinda see the point of it being they want you to follow a skillplan and do the easy roles first to learn the ropes. But gently caress that kind of micro management, just do your thing and bring whatever to fleets.

• Locked thread