Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tony_Montana posted:

Here's a wonderful gallery of screenshots from the PC version in ultra, apparently (no spoilers).

The game looks undeniably pretty... except for some weird grass patches that I'm sure will be improved but it really looks fantastic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127773964@N03/sets/72157652536729480

There's so much COLOR in all these screenshots :swoon: Thank you Witcher devs for not making everything grey and lovely looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Drifter posted:

That's one of the older witchers in Geralt's Wolf Clan.

ahh cool - I totally forget about the intro to the first game if he was there. Witcher 1 was so long ago...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
e: too late

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Speaking of, how old is Ciri supposed to be? Was she still a teenager or something the last time Geralt sees her in the books?

She was 13-14 in the books, I believe. I haven't read them, just going off what I've heard elsewhere.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I hope there's no underaged Polish sex.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

She was 13-14 in the books, I believe. I haven't read them, just going off what I've heard elsewhere.

Let's get loving nerdy for two seconds;

The books state she's born 1251, the first game takes place in 1273. You may now math.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Orv posted:

The books state she's born 1251, the first game takes place in 1273. You may now math.

Possible screenshot spoilers/speculation, nothing major:

I have a feeling W3 is going to have flashbacks or something, going by some screenshots I've seen. There was one where she looks super young and tinier than others

Orv
May 4, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

Possible screenshot spoilers/speculation, nothing major:

I have a feeling W3 is going to have flashbacks or something, going by some screenshots I've seen. There was one where she looks super young and tinier than others

The first few minutes of the game are one, so there's going to be plenty, probably mostly when playing as Ciri.

I just mean in the immediate timeline of most of your adventuring, she's not a kid anymore, she's been running a long time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Poetic Justice posted:

She's around 16 in the last book

Orv
May 4, 2011
Also I found out re: choices that your trip to Vizima and your chat with Emhyr, and consequently your ability to pick without an import, take place after leaving White Orchard. Still no word on which thing to pick I'm afraid.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

On Easy and Normal sure but they lose a lot of effectiveness on higher difficulties.

I don't know, I never played either game on easy or normal and I thought signs were pretty good. It doesn't take many skill points to turn Aard into a pretty good crowd control ability with a chance to stun for an instant kill. Rolling around and Aarding enemies was my primary strategy even on my swordsman runs. Yrden will take care of pretty much anything that won't work on. Heliotrope is arguably the best adrenaline skill in the game. Quen is invaluable for people who don't know how to not get hit. I never really bothered with Igni or Axii in TW2, but Igni was pretty great in the first game.

Orv posted:

Still no word on which thing to pick I'm afraid.

If you mean how to get the choices dialogue, I'd bet it will basically be, "I'd like to interview you about your past, will you answer some questions?"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Roshnak posted:

If you mean how to get the choices dialogue, I'd bet it will basically be, "I'd like to interview you about your past, will you answer some questions?"

They phrase whether you want to make the choices or let it be default oddly, in a way that makes it seem like No is the right choice to have that scene. It's when starting a new game.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Oh, weird. How do they phrase it?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Roshnak posted:

Do you want to simulate a Witcher 2 save?

:shrug:

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
I would think that simulating a save would be having the conversation, and not doing it would be using the default options. It would be hilarious if it was the other way around and they never clarified it, though, given what was in your spoiler.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 17, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Roshnak posted:

It'll be pillow talk. One of the chicks you bang will be all "...so, tell me about your self."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Roshnak posted:

I would think that simulating a save would be having the conversation, and not doing it would be using the default options. It would be hilarious if it was the other way around and they never clarified it, though, given what was in your spoiler.

Yeah that's my assumption, but it could also mean simulate in the sense that they make the choices. That's unlikely at least.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
So...uh... this game has been out for almost a week....is it good?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bloodsacrifice posted:

So...uh... this game has been out for almost a week....is it good?

It releases on the 18th. Reviews came out early.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Oxxidation posted:

It releases on the 18th. Reviews came out early.

I'm confused now. I thought ps4 version was released. Or are those just review copies?

Never mind I'll look it up.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm stoked for this game, but I've never played the series. Is there anything I need to know going in, or is it better to go in blind? I'm going on console, too, will there be a way to manipulate the previous story or save files? Like the Keep online in dragon age inquisition?

Orv
May 4, 2011

red19fire posted:

I'm stoked for this game, but I've never played the series. Is there anything I need to know going in, or is it better to go in blind? I'm going on console, too, will there be a way to manipulate the previous story or save files? Like the Keep online in dragon age inquisition?

There's nothing you need to know, but this article will help you acclimate better, they throw you in pretty deep. Consoles will have no way of importing saves.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.

bloodsacrifice posted:

I'm confused now. I thought ps4 version was released. Or are those just review copies?

Reviews went up last Tuesday. The only review version sent out was the PS4 version. Since then, outlets have gotten the XBO version (supposedly runs slightly worse). Nobody has gotten the PC version. For consumers, all 3 versions launch on the 18/19th, depending where in the world you are, at midnight Polish time.

The people playing it right now are either people who got review copies or people who bought it when a few Middle Eastern countries broke street dates.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Parasara posted:

Reviews went up last Tuesday. The only review version sent out was the PS4 version. Since then, outlets have gotten the XBO version (supposedly runs slightly worse). Nobody has gotten the PC version. For consumers, all 3 versions launch on the 18/19th, depending where in the world you are, at midnight Polish time.

The people playing it right now are either people who got review copies or people who bought it when a few Middle Eastern countries broke street dates.

I knew there was a reason people lived there

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The PC version is going out last so they have time to patch everything back up to 2013 trailer standards and add the Vergen expansion pack, which are both PC only features.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Parasara posted:

PS4 version is available in some German stores, going to guess other countries broke street date as well.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Apparently some mom and pop stores in New Jersey broke the release date.

Which makes one reason to leave in New Jersey.

e. Apparently also in a shady neighborhood. Also apparently in Norway too. Or so says Reddit (I don't read Reddit).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope armor doesn't apply to traps in the Witcher 3. It was really weird in Witcher 2 since stuff like bear traps become completely harmless like halfway through chapter 1.

Orv posted:

Only problem with this is that time flows differently in the other worlds. From the look of her I'm guessing she's gotta be at least 18.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

bloodsacrifice posted:

There has been a lot of retail leaks of mostly PS4 and a few X1 copies. Positive experiences from both, from what I've read.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

I hope armor doesn't apply to traps in the Witcher 3. It was really weird in Witcher 2 since stuff like bear traps become completely harmless like halfway through chapter 1.

Only problem with this is that time flows differently in the other worlds. From the look of her I'm guessing she's gotta be at least 18.

Traps are gone, bombs remain.

As for Ciri, didn't know that, though I really should have figured.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I mean enemy traps.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

RatHat posted:

I mean enemy traps.

Ciri isn't your enemy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So anyone who spoiled themselves on the trophy achievement list - without getting into specific details does this look like a game where you can do "all" content on a single run, or is it based more around multiple playthroughs? I'm still unsure if there's anything as divergent as the Roche/Iorveth paths in W2.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Forgive me if this has been answered and I already missed it: Will W3 answer finally what the hell Geralt was doing when he was running from Kaer Morhen in the intro to Witcher 1?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They already did in the previous games? He had escaped and was running from the wild hunt, at the cost of his memories. Unless I'm super confused.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Tony_Montana posted:

Here's a wonderful gallery of screenshots from the PC version in ultra, apparently (no spoilers).

The game looks undeniably pretty... except for some weird grass patches that I'm sure will be improved but it really looks fantastic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127773964@N03/sets/72157652536729480

Here's hoping I will be able to replicate this level of graphical fidelity.

Also, serious question: does the horse eat grass? drink water? poop?

I really hope they patch in higher quality foliage and draw distance that doesn't look like something from Oblivion.

The Witcher 3 PC Ultra 1440p (19) by Philipp Reuther, on Flickr

Orv
May 4, 2011
Which draw distance issues would those be in that screenshot?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Thank you. The sunset and moon shots are stunning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The trees in this screenshot: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127773964@N03/17564159859/in/album-72157652536729480/ look really bad. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Someone post the picture of Roche again with the crayon pants and headless guys in the background.