Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think it's more "I don't care". FF5 Advance has a similar bug where if you reload a save you'll always fight the same encounters in order, you could abuse this to fight the rare encounters that give loads of AP.

But honestly unless you are reloading something from a save over and over you probably will not notice.

Only if you reload from Quicksave, not a normal save. It also only works in the US version; the EU version fixes the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Only if you reload from Quicksave, not a normal save. It also only works in the US version; the EU version fixes the issue.

Ah right I forgot the exact details. I just remember maxing out so many jobs on Movers that way.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Kyrosiris posted:

As it stands, reloading from quicksave also resets the timer to a random encounter, so if you quicksave and reload every 5 or so steps, you can avoid getting in fights. (This is only really useful for getting the Walse Elven Mantle early; on a side note, gently caress Jackanapes.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ah right I forgot the exact details. I just remember maxing out so many jobs on Movers that way.

Yeah, it's handy enough (also nice to get a guaranteed Stingray for getting Mighty Guard, and resetting the timer for encounters like Sordas mentions), but I don't find it to be that awful.

Maybe I've been abusing it for so long in Fiesta runs that I'm acclimated to it. :shrug:

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

How likely is SE to fix FFX/X-2's RNG issues?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ellaybee posted:

Considering 98% of owners won't really notice or care, it depends on how easy it is to fix.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ellaybee posted:

i believe X-2 isn't broken, which is good, as it is the superior game

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
my gameboys and adapters came in the mail today...

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Sordas Volantyr posted:

As it stands, reloading from quicksave also resets the timer to a random encounter, so if you quicksave and reload every 5 or so steps, you can avoid getting in fights. (This is only really useful for getting the Walse Elven Mantle early; on a side note, gently caress Jackanapes.)
You can also use it to avoid fighting the gil turtle.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Cheesing to the first Elven mantle is my most common use for it. I felt bad at first, but after my nth time beating the game I don't mind skipping the thrilling "hold run until you escape, reset if you wipe" gameplay.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Moldy Taxes posted:

You can also use it to avoid fighting the gil turtle.

True but unless you get super lucky with Reflect Ring drops, you probably don't need the Gil Turtle cave money. Endgame you only need like three hundred thousand.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

True but unless you get super lucky with Reflect Ring drops, you probably don't need the Gil Turtle cave money. Endgame you only need like three hundred thousand.

Well, some combos could really use some elixir money.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I remember exploiting it to get some cash the last time I Fiesta'd, but it's been a few years so I don't remember my team/what I bought with the money.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, that's fair; I just tend to get my elixirs via Moldwynd farming. Most I've ever needed was like a dozen and a half with a super fragile comp.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's probably faster on hardware to gil cave it but I've never clocked it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I use that glitch to get the Elven Mantle in Walse every year without shame. :c00lbutt:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Ellaybee posted:

I'm more concerned with the music bug. That's a dealbreaker for me since I don't want to repeatedly hear the first 20 seconds of Mi'ihen Highroad ad nauseum.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mountaineer posted:

I'm more concerned with the music bug. That's a dealbreaker for me since I don't want to repeatedly hear the first 20 seconds of Mi'ihen Highroad ad nauseum.

Boing boing boing boing boing boing boing

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Sorry for missing the ffu talk, but I remember there being an earlier anime titled final fantasy that I had seen some of but don't really remember it. I want to say it talked about events from 4 though.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Kingtheninja posted:

Sorry for missing the ffu talk, but I remember there being an earlier anime titled final fantasy that I had seen some of but don't really remember it. I want to say it talked about events from 4 though.

There's a FFV one (down the page a bit):

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/finalfantasy/ff5/ff5-2.htm

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Bought a copy of V (GBA) on eBay. Got lost in the mail, despite tracking - and it's on the seller's end. So I bought another copy. Nothing will get between me and the fiesta!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Man, I wouldn't even trust an FF-Advance cart from Amazon. There's just way too many bootleggers out there, if you can believe that there's a few people who have apparently dedicated their lives to making knockoff copies of games that won't even run on modern hardware.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

dis astranagant posted:

You can't even buy Elixirs in world 2 can you? In world 3 you can farm Movers for money if you can get through most of the last dungeon. Quicksave trick to find them, kill 2, let them move, kill the 3. 250k quick, equal to 5 elixirs for every other battle with quicksaving.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

maou shoujo posted:

You can't even buy Elixirs in world 2 can you? In world 3 you can farm Movers for money if you can get through most of the last dungeon. Quicksave trick to find them, kill 2, let them move, kill the 3. 250k quick, equal to 5 elixirs for every other battle with quicksaving.

Movers are at the complete rear end end of the game. If you need to buy elixirs you probably need them before then. You can't buy them in world 2 but you can get them pretty quickly in world 3.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This year's fiesta needs to have proper recognition for those lucky enough to get the Thief, Beastmaster, non-elemental damage dealer/Archeodemon cheeser, and fourth guy combo and then the cajones to clear the Sealed Temple :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 17, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Alabaster White posted:

This year's fiesta needs to have proper recognition for those lucky enough to get the Thief, Beastmaster, non-elemental damage dealer, and fourth guy combo and then the cajones to clear the Sealed Temple :colbert:

Thief/bm/geo/dragoon
:shepicide:

Hell, for me Dancer is just as bad as dragoon. I know sword dance and ribbon but holy poo poo they're just SO drat squishy.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The definitive version of FFV that you guys recommend is the GBA one, correct?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

crestfallen posted:

Yeah. The phone versions are fine, but some people don't like the analog-ish controls (and some people whine that it's "ugly" :rolleyes:), but otherwise it functions basically the same. I'm pretty sure that all the issues that made it sub-ideal for fiesta-ing were fixed in patches.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

crestfallen posted:

It is literally the one version of FFV that can be legally acquired that is not steaming rear end.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Excellent. I'm sure that question has been asked a ton, so thank you very kindly for the quick answer. Now I just need to get ahold of it!

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009

crestfallen posted:

It's the best version by far. Better translation, new jobs and a new bonus dungeon for the endgame. The only real drawback is the music isn't as good as the SNES version but that's hardly a dealbreaker.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The iOS version of FF5 is not as bad as people make it seem. The auto battle feature can be really convenient, and the graphics aren't that bad. Also it feels faster to get around.

It is also probably a lot more convenient to get than acquiring an old GBA game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kyrosiris posted:

(and some people whine that it's "ugly" :rolleyes:)

Well, there's some seriously lazy stuff with the map tiles (meteors) but the monster sprites are really cool and nice. The UI is ugly as sin but eh, it's not the end of the world.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did they ever undo the bullshit "bug fixes" they put in the IOS version?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Did they ever undo the bullshit "bug fixes" they put in the IOS version?

Yes, it was reported multiple times in the intervening Fiesta years.

If I had the spare cash, I'd probably grab it for my phone, but eh.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The iOS version of FF5 is not as bad as people make it seem.

Yeah. When it comes to re-releases (and sequels) of old games, "bad" more often than not means "not exactly like when I was 12".

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

maou shoujo posted:

If you're trying to do challenge stuff, If you're grinding in the woods before ????, the Heal Beasts drop Elixirs fairly regularly. And those fights give pretty much as much experience as anything else at that point.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I'm playing the Fiend Arena in X-2, unlocked Standard CUp: Hard, and they really put a Rukh in that tournament? Really? You must be joking, right? :gonk: That guy's way too strong to be in an early game cup.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
:gitgud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Armitage posted:

I'm playing the Fiend Arena in X-2, unlocked Standard CUp: Hard, and they really put a Rukh in that tournament? Really? You must be joking, right? :gonk: That guy's way too strong to be in an early game cup.

One of the later cups has two teams that are basically instant death if you're not prepared (One of the teams is two monsters that'll probably just cast ultima immediately for 9999 to everyone + the other team is a mega tonberry who'll probably one hit all your guys before you do anything)

You can get some really good items in the fiend arena though so it's worth putting up with that kind of thing