Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

Another Animal Crossing New Leaf one. I shot down a balloon present but it landed in the river, and my mayor immediately looked shocked and sad. :3:
Like many favorite little things in Animal Crossing, this happened at least as far back as Wild World on the DS--complete with the Harsh Chord of Shock and Dismay. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Like many favorite little things in Animal Crossing, this happened at least as far back as Wild World on the DS--complete with the Harsh Chord of Shock and Dismay. :3:

Yes indeed. also if you trip into a tree you'll whang your head off of it and that makes me laugh like an idiot every time.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Can anyone please tell me what the decapitated ex-wife thread title is referencing?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

Can anyone please tell me what the decapitated ex-wife thread title is referencing?

Someone's second wedding in Skyrim had an interesting bug occur.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Drunk Nerds posted:

Apparently the code in Skyrim that spawns guests for your wedding is a little buggy.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Wow, that's awkward. Thanks

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Hirayuki posted:

I love that chord. It's my favourite little thing next to chopping down other people's trees

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

that's loving incredible.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Seems legit.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

We have more bullets you know.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I'm behind on my gaming, so I've only just picked up GTA V and Red Dead Revolver. Haven't played RDR yet, but GTA V has been fun.

I like the bits of news on the radio after I've done something. Nothing like hearing of a celebrities disappearance after I stuffed him in a trunk and left him on the train tracks.

Also, I'm finding Trevor to be an absolute twat, but drat if his lines aren't funny as Hell.

Lastly, the first time I got a random side mission when someone was asking for help. Said someone was beating their girlfriend, so I run up to help, only to get robbed and shot at by them. It was nice to return as Franklin and preemptively cap their bitch asses.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
One of my fairly-recent favorite things in games comes not directly from the game, but from the community surrounding the game. With Payday2, Overkill has more or less continuously added new content: levels, characters, weapons, objectives, even reworked a few core systems to do neat things. When Hotline Miami 2 came out, they added Jacket as a PC.

Somewhere buried in the comments thread for that update on Steam - somewhere between the whining about how "Overkill is loving us again" and "UGH now I have to buy a DIFFERENT GAME" is

"Man, there used to be a loving dress code."

Everyone except Jacket wears a two-piece suit. The two women don't wear ties, and one of them wears sneakers. Jacket dgaf, shows up to heists in his letterman jacket, t-shirt, and jeans.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Destiny: Mote Physics- As seen in Fig 1. The Warlock and the Anti-Warlock tend to have very short existences as they collide and annihilate each other.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Exit Strategy posted:

One of my fairly-recent favorite things in games comes not directly from the game, but from the community surrounding the game. With Payday2, Overkill has more or less continuously added new content: levels, characters, weapons, objectives, even reworked a few core systems to do neat things. When Hotline Miami 2 came out, they added Jacket as a PC.

Somewhere buried in the comments thread for that update on Steam - somewhere between the whining about how "Overkill is loving us again" and "UGH now I have to buy a DIFFERENT GAME" is

"Man, there used to be a loving dress code."

Everyone except Jacket wears a two-piece suit. The two women don't wear ties, and one of them wears sneakers. Jacket dgaf, shows up to heists in his letterman jacket, t-shirt, and jeans.

I need to fix my PC ASAP so I can finally get around to playing as him. My favorite little thing is that the dude uses a tape recorder to do shoutouts since he doesn't speak in Hotline Miami either.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yet another thing from Deus Ex HR: There are many types of grenades in the game, and it wouldn't be a sci fi game without an EMP grenade that disables cameras and robots. However, as the loading screen tip says, it specifically works on anything electronic, including you, so if you throw it at an augmented enemy it will short them out as well. On some enemies like generic street thugs and militants EMP grenades do nothing because they're not augmented!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

pulp rag posted:

I need to fix my PC ASAP so I can finally get around to playing as him. My favorite little thing is that the dude uses a tape recorder to do shoutouts since he doesn't speak in Hotline Miami either.

[reviving player]
click zurzrwirfzp Please avoid operating heavy machinery while under the influence of painkillers! click zirsfzup

They partially missed the opportunity, I think. There was room for much more PSA/jingle/language tape/dictator speech patchwork, but most of the lines come from that one pleasant lady voice. The only times I can reliably hear the others are when I'm spotting guards (Ein Wachtmann!).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alpha Protocol: HOLY poo poo, IF I SHOOT AN ENEMY AND HE FLINCHES WHILE HE"S SHOOTING HIS GUN FIRES IN A DIRECTION OTHER THEN "DIRECTLY AT ME". This blows my goddamn mind, maybe I'm just traumatized from Arma 3 and having AI who flinch (or spaz out and leap like half a foot in the air) while still managing to get a perfect shot on me or my squaddies.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Leal posted:

Alpha Protocol: HOLY poo poo, IF I SHOOT AN ENEMY AND HE FLINCHES WHILE HE"S SHOOTING HIS GUN FIRES IN A DIRECTION OTHER THEN "DIRECTLY AT ME". This blows my goddamn mind, maybe I'm just traumatized from Arma 3 and having AI who flinch (or spaz out and leap like half a foot in the air) while still managing to get a perfect shot on me or my squaddies.

I love how having the single canned walking animation for all the soldiers regardless of the actual speed they're moving at means that half the time guards are moonwalking around their bases.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

scamtank posted:

[reviving player]
click zurzrwirfzp Please avoid operating heavy machinery while under the influence of painkillers! click zirsfzup

They partially missed the opportunity, I think. There was room for much more PSA/jingle/language tape/dictator speech patchwork, but most of the lines come from that one pleasant lady voice. The only times I can reliably hear the others are when I'm spotting guards (Ein Wachtmann!).

It's a shame, but they were right that it'd be hard to follow a character with 50 different voices.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
So I'm playing Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, and I noticed something about the Bombenschuss. The Bombenschuss is a long-range rifle you can get a scope for, and the scope can be toggled, flipping to the right when not in use. When you toggle it, BJ actually presses a toggle on the gun with his thumb. It was something I appreciated, especially coming off of Far Cry 4 and its magic automatic flip-up iron sights.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know I'm super late to the party but I just built a new computer and tried Metal Gear Rising and holy poo poo guys I just suplexed a loving Metal Gear.

I'd known going into it how over the top it is and it still didn't prepare me for how loving awesome that was.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

scamtank posted:

[reviving player]

They are adding a LOT more lines - Pretty much every patch increases the number of lines Jacket has. Of course, the best is when putting on your mask.

Please enjoy your flight.
The following program is for mature audiences only.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

I know I'm super late to the party but I just built a new computer and tried Metal Gear Rising and holy poo poo guys I just suplexed a loving Metal Gear.

I'd known going into it how over the top it is and it still didn't prepare me for how loving awesome that was.

It gets so much more awesome that you won't believe it

You're in for a treat :toot:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There is a quest in witcher 2 called spear of destiny. You have collect it in order to end a curse, and as it turns out a dwarf managed to win it in a poker game. You can play him for it but if you lose, he namedrops BJ Blazkowicz. Probably the least subtle reference in the game :v:

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.
"When the time of snow comes, do not eat the yellow snow"

An advice given during loading on the witcher wild hunt. This thread is about to be flooded by the wild hunt's posts. Holy poo poo the detail on everything is insane.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Insonix posted:

"When the time of snow comes, do not eat the yellow snow"

An advice given during loading on the witcher wild hunt. This thread is about to be flooded by the wild hunt's posts. Holy poo poo the detail on everything is insane.

Oh fun. Will it be like with Shadow of Mordor where the favorite thing is totally not little like the nemesis system?

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.

Len posted:

Oh fun. Will it be like with Shadow of Mordor where the favorite thing is totally not little like the nemesis system?

I actually never player the witcher 1 or 2, but the thing that I like the most about this game is how different the art is compared to games like skyrim or shadows of mordor. There is just so much color and detail.

Game wise the controls feel a little stiff but you get used to it. The horse guiding system (gps) needs a LOT of work, hopefully that gets patched.

Also you need to take contracts on villages all the time because main quest missions don't pay lots of money (nothing at all actually).

There is a card game which I still don't get.

Oh and spoiler free advice, when the main quest takes you to a cave, be well prepared for it.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

Len posted:

Have any other games had this particular mechanic before or was SOM a pioneer? It seems like such an easy thing to add to any game, especially a rng 'named enemy' pool. Or is it a case of they bought the people who created the idea a la Portal/Narbacular Drop?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Static! posted:

Have any other games had this particular mechanic before or was SOM a pioneer? It seems like such an easy thing to add to any game, especially a rng 'named enemy' pool. Or is it a case of they bought the people who created the idea a la Portal/Narbacular Drop?

The nemesis system was THE major advertisement point of that game. I'm not sure in what way that counts as a little thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Len posted:

The nemesis system was THE major advertisement point of that game. I'm not sure in what way that counts as a little thing.

Its like saying "The little thing I liked in The Punisher was the interrogation sequences". Or someone who so wittingly said:

Mogambo posted:

Getting a ring in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mogambo posted:

Getting a coin in Mario.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What triggered getting a nemesis anyway? It wasn't until I was recruiting my last warchiefs that one guy started coming back again and again and by this point I was super powerful and killed him easily about five times in rapid succession before mind controling him. Kinda disappointing. I also spent way too long handpicking the best orcs to promote to the top when there were only a couple of short battles and I don't think any of my guys died.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

As I recall, your Nemesis is the first orc to kill you.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

What triggered getting a nemesis anyway? It wasn't until I was recruiting my last warchiefs that one guy started coming back again and again and by this point I was super powerful and killed him easily about five times in rapid succession before mind controling him. Kinda disappointing. I also spent way too long handpicking the best orcs to promote to the top when there were only a couple of short battles and I don't think any of my guys died.

The trick is to suck at the game. I hadn't played a similar combat game to SoM, (no assassins creed or batman or whatnot) so the first few bosses killed me a lot. I got to where ten bosses were higher lvl then me before I could fight. After that I had a blast hunting them down, some over and over while they hunted me.

I think there may have been more game somewhere, but for me it was just a fun month of cat and mouse. I would love to see it in more games.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The best way to play Shadow of Mordor is not buy more than the first one or two tiers of upgrades for Talion. Buy all your moves, yeah, but don't upgrade your health or your damage or your arrow count. That way the game actually remains a challenge past the halfway point.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

The best way to play Shadow of Mordor is not buy more than the first one or two tiers of upgrades for Talion. Buy all your moves, yeah, but don't upgrade your health or your damage or your arrow count. That way the game actually remains a challenge past the halfway point.

Yeah I sorta wish I had played this way. I mean the first few times where you slo-mo headshot a dozen orcs and then just rip through the next 20 with no fear of dying or anything were pretty cool, but the nemesis system doesn't really work when you spend the last half of the game never dying once.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I appreciate that feeling of demigodhood, though. I remember my first time in the open world, I went to the garrison on the east side of the map, ran into 3 named Uruks, and promptly got my poo poo wrecked.
Some time later, I had bought the "unlimited executions for a few seconds" power, and I found myself detected by a shitton of Uruks on the west side. I think there might've been, like, 20 that were gathered around, and so I activated the power, appointed myself the mayor of Shankville, and everyone ran away.

It's a welcome combat gameplay change from, say, Assassin's Creed, where (primarily in 3) once I was being chased after in one of the city areas, it was basically "hope you can evade a billion guards coming at you from all directions ever".

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
In Metro: Last Light, the Dark One is disguised as a child at one point because of all the humans around. While he's disguised in the decontamination chamber with the Colonel and Khan, the Dark One waves at the soldiers outside and acts surprised and curious when the spray system activates. I originally thought that he was creepy, but after running around with him for awhile, he's kind of adorable. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: A professional space basketball player launches himself into orbit and they need a replacement to wow the crowds so you get to set yourself on fire and perform a flaming slam dunk and for a minute I thought I was playing Barkley, Shut Up and Jam Gaiden and it was glorious.

Also I was playing as Nisha and her dialogue with the announcer afterward is so out of character for her that a totally cliche bit becomes hilarious because it's coming from the mouth of a psychotic sadomasochistic mercenary.