Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Honestly, given how all the new apps look, I couldn't give less of a gently caress about pivots and panoramas. It's sleek but not Android. I hope the rest of the system apps gets the same treatment (altho I expect them to be mixing styles again, like on the desktop before). Too bad the mail and calendar apps look out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Smoke posted:

Figured it was something like that once I noticed the positions of certain forums. Oddly enough I recall seeing them sorted correctly once a few days ago after an update, which is why I was wondering about that. I can deal with it though.

When you first load the app it sorts it correctly. When it loads it from the database it's wrong. That's why you saw it right the first time.

EDIT: For Combat Pretzel, I think I found the style that Microsoft is currently using for their Windows10 apps, so I've changed my app to match it.

Not sure if I should force mine to be all caps or not, but it should be the same otherwise.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 15, 2015

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Is this where we ask stupid newbie questions?

Just got a windows phone (the lumia 640)

Trying to update apps, it tells me to sign into a microsoft account. Login, and it wants me to verify my account. I get a verification code emailed to me.

I go to enter the code...it's a box where I can enter the code, and the keypad that pops up is the phone version (numbers, with small letters underneath)

There is no "enter" or "done" or "go" button, either on the screen portion or in the keypad portion...so I can type in the code, and then I can sit there and look at the screen, but I can't continue. This is bizarre but I can't figure this out.

What the gently caress.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Watommi posted:

Is this where we ask stupid newbie questions?

Just got a windows phone (the lumia 640)

Trying to update apps, it tells me to sign into a microsoft account. Login, and it wants me to verify my account. I get a verification code emailed to me.

I go to enter the code...it's a box where I can enter the code, and the keypad that pops up is the phone version (numbers, with small letters underneath)

There is no "enter" or "done" or "go" button, either on the screen portion or in the keypad portion...so I can type in the code, and then I can sit there and look at the screen, but I can't continue. This is bizarre but I can't figure this out.

What the gently caress.

The "next" button is behind the keyboard... press "back" once and should just close the keyboard and reveal the next button like a bad magician.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Hmm, I ignored it for a few minutes, and when I went to try again there were 'previous' and 'next' buttons at the bottom. Good start.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad the mail and calendar apps look out of place.

What did Microsoft acquire, Acompli and Sunrise? And then rebrand them? I've been living under the assumption that the dire mail and calendar apps were placeholders until those got translated over.

How foolish am I?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I wanted to buy a Lumia 930, but since I am on T-mobile, I found out that the 930 doesn't support USA LTE. (It can do HSPA+, but I can't find a way to check if HSPA+ is used in my area)

Is there a place I can find a list of "high end" Lumia phones that work on US LTE?

T-Mobile only seems to offer mid-low-end Lumias. In fact, all carriers seem to only offer low-end phones. Verizon has apparently discontinued to icon. :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

soapgish posted:

What did Microsoft acquire, Acompli and Sunrise? And then rebrand them? I've been living under the assumption that the dire mail and calendar apps were placeholders until those got translated over.

How foolish am I?
I don't think it is based on Sunrise (yet). The complaint was mainly that it was out of place based on looks. Hamburger menu looks different, list items are busier UI chrome wise, the action bar looks out of place, too. Given that they'll ship as the system's email and calendaring clients, it's kind of weird. All system apps based on WinRT follow some clear design cues, those two less so. Same applies to the desktop versions, given they're universal apps.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 16, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Captain Pike posted:

I wanted to buy a Lumia 930, but since I am on T-mobile, I found out that the 930 doesn't support USA LTE. (It can do HSPA+, but I can't find a way to check if HSPA+ is used in my area)

Is there a place I can find a list of "high end" Lumia phones that work on US LTE?

T-Mobile only seems to offer mid-low-end Lumias. In fact, all carriers seem to only offer low-end phones. Verizon has apparently discontinued to icon. :(

Unfortunately you are looking for a 1520.3 which happens to be very hard to find and expensive. Try trolling Swappa or eBay.

One just sold on eBay for $550. Was used too.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't think it is based on Sunrise (yet). The complaint was mainly that it was out of place based on looks. Hamburger menu looks different, list items are busier UI chrome wise, the action bar looks out of place, too. Given that they'll ship as the system's email and calendaring clients, it's kind of weird. All system apps based on WinRT follow some clear design cues, those two less so. Same applies to the desktop versions, given they're universal apps.

Yeah, Sunrise and Accompli/Outlook for iOS/Android seem to be their own things now compared to universal outlook.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

Also something I need to mention. It seems some of you are using the app on Windows 10 devices.

I'm using it on my Win10Mobile Lumi635! (I always disliked "pull to refresh" anyway, so no biggie...)

Also, for the Win10 version of your app, I hope you've tried it in Release mode. We in the .NET team do magic for Release builds of Win10 apps. They get compiled into native code (no JIT, no VM) and they go through aggressive whole-program optimization. The end result is a smaller, leaner app with 50% faster startup time and lower battery drain. Mostly all this should just be invisible under-the-hood optimization that doesn't impact you as a developer -- apart from the fact that release builds now take 3 minutes longer. But if you encounter any problems when you make the switch, then the devs on the .NET team really do want to hear about it.

quote:

The fourth bug happens rarely, but it's a bitch to figure out. It's a thread marshaling issue that I'll probably bring up in the .NET thread. But basically, if you launch the app, leave the app, and then launch it again from the start menu, you have about a 30% chance of it just crashing. And the stack trace/dump for it is useless, so I'm not sure why it's happening. Again, it's rare, but really annoying. I have yet to reproduce it in the Windows 10 builds though :shrug:.

That strongly sounds like an issue with the way you're dealing with app lifecycle management. I seem to recall that if the user leaves the app then it remains resident in memory for a few seconds. Its threads are still around, still running. Will your app behave correctly if App.OnLaunched is invoked in this state? Will any of the previous instance's threads attempt to update UI elements which no longer exist?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Must be some optimization pass, if it takes three minutes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Pike posted:

The official line is that they didn't discontinue the Icon, they "sold out" of it, but it is worth noting that even if that's true they sure didn't buy any more of them

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The BT stack in W10M certainly seems messed up. Sometimes the phone starts glitching on audio in my car, sometimes it starts Music Preview upon connecting but most often not (and requires manual intervention, let alone expecting Spotify to start up on its own), what AVRCP features get announced to my car radio depend on the weather, and it can't decide when and whether it wants to find my Fitbit. Hope that improves soon.

Back button behavior on the start screen needs also be fixed. When on the applist, tapping it should go to the tile screen, instead it goes to the last app used.

Also, is there a way to figure out why third party apps do crash? I'd like to know why my thermostat remote control app doesn't start.

--edit:
Microsoft apparently announced that they'll take over full responsibility of the update process and push updates when they deem it right, not when a carrier does. I heard that one before, let's see when that'll fizzle out.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 16, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Is there a decent Windows Phone option in the sub-$200 range? My Nexus 5 drowned and I've been using a Lumia 530 for the last week and not exactly hating it. I just wish it had a better screen and faster response.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Is there a decent Windows Phone option in the sub-$200 range? My Nexus 5 drowned and I've been using a Lumia 530 for the last week and not exactly hating it. I just wish it had a better screen and faster response.

Lumia 640 just came out for Cricket, possibly other places soon.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

July 16th for the T-Mobile version of the 640? :negative:
http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia-640-may-be-coming-t-mobile-us-july-16

The T-Mobile twitter account was seemingly coy at the mention of the 640XL but maybe I'm just grasping for straws.

On the other hand, Expansys has updated the specifications for the 640XL and it does have LTE support for AT&T and T-Mobile.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/microsoft-lumia-640-xl-smartphone-black-276668/

Although at $270, it's more expensive than the current price for the 830 on Amazon. And it's not clear if it'll have the same internet sharing issues that I've had with my 920. Would it be worth waiting two months to save between $70 to $180 and have better device support? That's a big maybe because I needed a new phone like a month ago.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 17, 2015

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

loquacius posted:

The official line is that they didn't discontinue the Icon, they "sold out" of it, but it is worth noting that even if that's true they sure didn't buy any more of them

I think I'm just going to get a 930 and deal with the slower internet speeds. I can't pass up $350 for a quad core and a 20 megapixel camera. Plus, look at how pretty it is:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Slower? I just gotten a 930 recently myself, and it very certainly does LTE.

I was wanting to wait for the 940, but fall is still pretty far away, and who knows if it'll still look as good as the 930.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MrKatharsis posted:

My 640 runs as smooth as butter, and I honestly can't imagine what I would gain from beefier specs, so it gets my firm recommendation. The screen is a little bit grainy, sometimes, if you're paying attention, but I rarely notice, so :shrug:

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 17, 2015

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

PlaneGuy posted:

The "next" button is behind the keyboard... press "back" once and should just close the keyboard and reveal the next button like a bad magician.

This... If I have one complaint about win pho - this is it. The keyboard takes up so much space that it is often impossible to change fields with it up. You can back out, but for some cases like selecting text, it can't be done.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ljw1004 posted:

I'm using it on my Win10Mobile Lumi635! (I always disliked "pull to refresh" anyway, so no biggie...)

Good drat , the UX on 10 on the 635 is pretty rough. At least backing out is easy. You can push the refresh text up and it goes away.

Unfortunately, the app still closes if you scroll too fast while it is loading images - which is always as it has 0 RAM.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Outside the US, yes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Pike posted:

I think I'm just going to get a 930 and deal with the slower internet speeds. I can't pass up $350 for a quad core and a 20 megapixel camera. Plus, look at how pretty it is:

As far as I know it also doesn't do Glance, which ended up killing my enthusiasm. I was looking to replace my 920 after the motor started acting up but it'll last well into the 940's release.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The preview OS that the Band app pulled down (for Cortana features on the Band) killed Glance on my 920. It would 'work', if you count working as a perceptible, 3 to 5 second delay before the Glance display comes up, let alone trying to get to the actual unlock screen :smith:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Chasiubao posted:

The preview OS that the Band app pulled down (for Cortana features on the Band) killed Glance on my 920. It would 'work', if you count working as a perceptible, 3 to 5 second delay before the Glance display comes up, let alone trying to get to the actual unlock screen :smith:

Preview for Band or whatever was the most jangly, broken mess imaginable. If that's the height of the issues it served up, you had a comparatively excellent experience.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

That's the one that stood out the most, because I liked Glance. I'm waiting until Denim for AT&T but :negative:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What are the actual hardware requirements for Glance? A specific sensor? Or is it just artificial market segmentation?
I forgot to check for that before getting my 735, but it's one one thing I'm missing from 620.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nielsm posted:

What are the actual hardware requirements for Glance? A specific sensor? Or is it just artificial market segmentation?
I forgot to check for that before getting my 735, but it's one one thing I'm missing from 620.

I believe it is a matter of how independently from the main SoC the display can be driven (i.e. whether it has an independently intelligent display controller or not). While the 930 could in principle, of course, show a glance screen too much hardware would need to be kept awake to make it happen. Nokia rather admitted that it was a bad mistake to not make the 930 glance-capable, but they were leaping onto a new display setup for it and didn't think ahead.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was wanting to wait for the 940, but fall is still pretty far away, and who knows if it'll still look as good as the 930.

I have a 930 and I think its the best phone I have ever had. 4g is superfast too.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

nielsm posted:

IIRC it requires display panel with its own display memory buffer so that SoC can shut down completely while glance is still displaying.

I think main reason why 930 didn't have glance was that sourcing FullHD AMOLED panel with internal buffer would've been either too hard or too expensive, as that tech isn't yet used that much in Android world. From what I heard it was cause of intense debate internally too but tradeoffs had to be made.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stubb Dogg posted:

IIRC it requires display panel with its own display memory buffer so that SoC can shut down completely while glance is still displaying.

I think main reason why 930 didn't have glance was that sourcing FullHD AMOLED panel with internal buffer would've been either too hard or too expensive, as that tech isn't yet used that much in Android world. From what I heard it was cause of intense debate internally too but tradeoffs had to be made.

Ah. That sucks, but it makes sense from a technical standpoint.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Stubb Dogg posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I for one would have certainly ponied over cash for the 930 if it had glance. Despite my growing concern about the future of the platform, i'm still rather a fanboy (who at this point has owned a Lumia 900, 920, and 1020 and gotten my mom a 920 then 830)

I'm sure it won't be an issue, but if the upcoming 940 doesn't have glance... eh, who am I kidding. I'll probably still buy it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Windows is going to be my main phone OS until Apple steals Live Tiles and Microsoft completes their return to various departments kneecapping each other by exporting Reading List and the keyboard.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Windows is going to be my main phone OS until Apple steals Live Tiles and Microsoft completes their return to various departments kneecapping each other by exporting Reading List and the keyboard.

If someone stole live tiles I would be so happy. iOS doesn't have anything vaguely similar (lol notification center widgets) and android widgets are janky at best.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

That July 16th release date for the T-Mobile 640? A misquote of the 635's release date. Still a vague spring release, though.
http://www.windowscentral.com/t-mobile-lumia-640-still-expected-spring-release

And here I have a 640 XL on order from Expansys after that whole scare but it's still processing so I could cancel it. On the other hand, there is no indication that there is an XL for T-Mobile as well which is the model that I want. Or do I? :negative:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Is there a Windows Phone app equivalent to something like Burner that can generate multiple phone numbers and keep your real number private?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

Is there a Windows Phone app equivalent to something like Burner that can generate multiple phone numbers and keep your real number private?

Skype. TextNow.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The 640 indeed was available at Cricket on 5/15. I placed my order and expected a "not in stock" message. Nope, it shipped Friday and arrived Monday!

I have been using a Lumia 900 even though I was eligible for an upgrade from AT&T last May. I've played with my wife's 1020 occasionally and read this thread so the transition from 7.8 to Denim isn't traumatic.

For some reason I understood that in the 8.x series, the People hub no longer displayed "What's new", requiring you to use the Facebook app. I was pleasantly surprised that it still works (better than 7.8 in fact; in recent months I assume a FB API change has prevented more than a half-dozen updates from appearing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Will the cricket 640 work on ATT?