Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Demiurge4 posted:

Man Quen is such a loving crutch and everyone abuses the gently caress out of it. Quit using Quen you cowards! :argh:

uses quen to shield myself from your criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

uses quen to shield myself from your criticism

I preferred how Quen worked in Witcher 1. In that you put up a shield around you but you couldnt move but it gave you time to use potions etc.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

There are definitely a couple of German gaming sites that have access to the PC version, but they don't stream. They've only put out a couple of videos like 10 mins of 4K/ultra gameplay and a comparison of min/max settings.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamestarde/profile has a 90 minute stream from today.
http://www.twitch.tv/germandota is streaming the beginning of the game right now.

Both PC, both German language.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 17, 2015

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It's surprising, one of the primary criticisms against the Witcher 2 combat system was that Quen was way overpowered. So I'd find it surprising (and disappointing) if it's still as overpowered. But maybe it is, because I've read about it also being able to restore health?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shakugan posted:

It's surprising, one of the primary criticisms against the Witcher 2 combat system was that Quen was way overpowered. So I'd find it surprising (and disappointing) if it's still as overpowered. But maybe it is, because I've read about it also being able to restore health?

You could... not use Quen? This is an option that I took in W2 last time, it was more fun that way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shakugan posted:

Quen by it's nature is basically giving you free attacks and extra health...It's great if you're bad at combat and get frustrated easily, it's not great if you want a challenge.

Chill out. There's literally no way to make a skill like that be both useful and not overpowered. If you nerf it to give it challenge to people who want a challenge, then it's useless to people who have a hard time with combat, with then makes it useless for both.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

Quen by it's nature is basically giving you free attacks and extra health...It's great if you're bad at combat and get frustrated easily, it's not great if you want a challenge.

Chill out. There's literally no way to make a skill like that be both useful and not overpowered. If you nerf it to give it challenge to people who want a challenge, then it's useless to people who have a hard time with combat, with then makes it useless for both.

They seem to have attempted to balance it by making everything else better, which is better than nerfing quen in my view. You can drink swallow in combat again, there are skills on the alchemy tree that let you heal when you drink any potion, there's the defence tree in combat set. They've just given you more defensive options.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CottonWolf posted:

They seem to have attempted to balance it by making everything else better, which is better than nerfing quen in my view. You can drink swallow in combat again, there are skills on the alchemy tree that let you heal when you drink any potion, there's the defense tree in combat set. They've just given you more defensive options.

Hey, that's pretty cool. I don't really like using quen, mainly because it's a passive buff, and I'd rather use active things. That's pretty dope about using certain potions in the middle of combat and them giving a small health increase. I've been remiss in my Witcher duties and haven't really been using potions a whole lot.

In Witcher 1, was Roche around? What was Geralt's relationship with him if he was? Because going through Roche's path in W2 and having gone through Iorveth's already...I kinda like Iorveth's better so far. But I'm only halfway through Roche's now, and mainly Henselt's a dick.

I also feel pretty bad that I couldn't kill enough Harpies to give to the dude in Roche's path, while I did in Iorveth's. That guy's quest has to be canon.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm probably gonna put my skillpoints around in a bunch of things. Swords is important because combat and I'll probably put a bunch into aard so I can knock fools around and tons of points into alchemy because I loving love getting drugged up in this game.

But mostly swords and potions, signs aren't that interesting to me but they are useful in a pinch.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Roche wasn't in Witcher 1. You bro'd up with Sigfried instead.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm probably gonna put my skillpoints around in a bunch of things. Swords is important because combat and I'll probably put a bunch into aard so I can knock fools around and tons of points into alchemy because I loving love getting drugged up in this game.

But mostly swords and potions, signs aren't that interesting to me but they are useful in a pinch.

Yeah. I was thinking mainly alchemy, then with a bit of Yrden empowerment on the side. If you're not killing people while high as gently caress as a witcher, you're doing it wrong.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Take all the potions. Do PCP and go kill monsters.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

Roche wasn't in Witcher 1. You bro'd up with Sigfried instead.

Sigried is the coolest person in history...with that hair cut.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I want to say that I really liked the quest structures in Roche's path, with all the long questlines and interconnectivity and poo poo, but I feel like Geralt's a better person for doing Iorveth's path.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Well, was going to pick it up in store since I normally like discs, but against my better judgement I bought it from the PSN store last night for 10% off. I've never preloaded a game before and on my crappy internet I was expecting a hassle. Went to bed at 2am, when I woke up at 9 the game was installed.

This is what I call a good user experience. Monday's gonna be a long workday though.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Yeah I just started Roche's path and I always feel bad when I do, mainly because Henselt and Dethmold are the worst and Zoltan is miserable. To me, Iorveth's path always felt more "good" but then Roche's path is simply a lot more grey; you get a lot of opportunities in Henselt's camp to kind of say "I don't give a poo poo about anyone's war, I'm just here to find the Kingslayer" which I appreciate as it makes the whole thing feel a lot more neutral. That being said, the storyline of Roche's path really picks up at the end of Act 2 and once all the major story beats are done and the major decision is made in the only way any sane human can make it (RAMPAGE), while you don't feel good about yourself like I did on Iorveth's path, you at least feel vindicated.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I get to shadow at a vet clinic on Tuesday till mid afternoon. A day of dealing with adorable sick animals makes it easier waiting for the UPS man to drop off my giant special edition. Can't think of a better way to spend a Tuesday.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Burns posted:

I preferred how Quen worked in Witcher 1. In that you put up a shield around you but you couldnt move but it gave you time to use potions etc.

This is actually one of the Quen upgrades in 3. All of the signs have multiple effect modifiers. Stream and fireball for Igni, I know of the immobile bubble shield for Quen and I think there's a focused blast for Aard. So at least two each, if Igni is any indication.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The focused blast for aard is a downgrade. You want it to push back EVERYONE that even looks at you funny.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I get to shadow at a vet clinic on Tuesday till mid afternoon. A day of dealing with adorable sick animals makes it easier waiting for the UPS man to drop off my giant special edition. Can't think of a better way to spend a Tuesday.

UPS man doesn't leave it your door.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

The focused blast for aard is a downgrade. You want it to push back EVERYONE that even looks at you funny.

I dunno about that. The large AoE on generic Aard is nice but it seems to me that the insta-kills you get on prone enemies is the best part of Aard and the force ball version seems to do that more reliably. A heavy stamina regen and Aard focused build basically makes you an rear end in a top hat Jedi.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Some press getting the 1.0 patch for the PC version now just look at the downgrades... hey... wait a minute....

Pre 1.0

Turns out the preview release that everyone has been comparing to had a bunch of Ultra options actually disabled

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Drifter posted:

UPS leaves it at my door. FedEx does like one delivery and then makes you go pick it up at their center around here. Purolator does like two attempts before you have to go pick it up. DHL doesn't even try and just makes you pick it up. That's my experience with the couriers in my area.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VarXX posted:

Some press getting the 1.0 patch for the PC version now just look at the downgrades... hey... wait a minute

Turns out the preview release that everyone has been comparing to had a bunch of Ultra options actually disabled

Ahahahahahahaaaaaa. Well that's interesting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Naky posted:

UPS leaves it at my door. FedEx does like one delivery and then makes you go pick it up at their center around here. Purolator does like two attempts before you have to go pick it up. DHL doesn't even try and just makes you pick it up. That's my experience with the couriers in my area.

I wasn't suggesting anything, I was cursing him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VarXX posted:

Some press getting the 1.0 patch for the PC version now just look at the downgrades... hey... wait a minute....

Pre 1.0

Am I being gaslighted or something, what the hell's the difference

edit: ok never mind, I can see wheat in the second pic and that's about it

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Oxxidation posted:

Yea same here. Both images look exactly the same to me.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

edit: ok never mind, I can see wheat in the second pic and that's about it
It's a really badly cropped comparison with different weather so enjoy comparing it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Go to the link and use the comparison sliders. The shot on this page is a bit poor at showing the deeper lighting and higher distance LOD. It's not super noticeable either way because it already looked good.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Here's a bigger version

Pre 1.0

The weather is the same and the time of day is like 5 minutes later

VarXX fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 17, 2015

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
You're gonna have to rehost those, looks like the original host doesn't allow for linking.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

isk posted:

You're gonna have to rehost those, looks like the original host doesn't allow for linking.

Yea, fixed it. The most obvious changes are the increased vegetation but the ambient occlusion seems better and the shadows can be seen further out.

edit: here's another on ultra from 1.0, I don't have anything to compare it to offhand though

PNG version here

In case anyone forgot what the 2013 version of Witcher 3 actually looked like by the way, here's a screenshot from October 2013 that wasn't from a prerendered trailer

VarXX fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 17, 2015

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Drifter posted:

I had it shipped to my parent's house for just such a reason. Every possible scenario has been played out. And if it doesn't show up for some bizarre reason, then I guess I'm buying a digital copy aswell!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Jesse Cox did a video on his youtube channel about it (him and a bunch of other youtubers got to preview and capture it over in Poland recently) and it's got a lot of information without story spoilers. I think he barely mentions the graphics beyond saying how pretty the game is.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBWcRGWOTUQ

The only thing I don't really like about the combat videos is Geralt doing all of these long rolls and pirouettes and bumping into people... but then the animation just keeps going while the other guy/monster stands there doing nothing. And then Geralt takes a long slow swing that the motionless victim barely tries to avoid or parry. Maybe this is just on an easier difficulty against weak enemies.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VarXX posted:

Yea, fixed it. The most obvious changes are the increased vegetation but the ambient occlusion seems better and the shadows can be seen further out.

edit: here's another on ultra from 1.0, I don't have anything to compare it to offhand though

PNG version here

I'm totally gonna make Geralt jump over that railing. It's just too tempting.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

graphics be damned

I just want to kill some monsters and worship satan

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Demiurge4 posted:

Man Quen is such a loving crutch and everyone abuses the gently caress out of it. Quit using Quen you cowards! :argh:

On the other hand it was always really fun to upgrade the hell out of it and just watch the battlefield explode with electricity the second anything touched you. But I still rarely used it because I was too busy spamming Igni all day everyday.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wow, looking good.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

shrike82 posted:

Wow, looking good.

That is old as poo poo and from the original preview, so uh.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Wow, looking good.

Here's an actual screenshot from 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

hopterque posted:

That is old as poo poo and from the original preview, so uh.

Wait, it's not going to look like that? WTF