Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

visceril posted:

That's retarded. The black kid probably has numerous legs-up due to his parents and therefore it would behoove anyone that wants to survive long-term to be friends with him.

Also why do people,gravitate towards one obviously inept leader in these shows? Why doesn't a vanguard seize power and institute a system of councils?

Or just loving murder the shifty brute guys and his hench followers like asap?

People like listening to other people tell them what to do because it usefully allows them to pretend they have no choice or agency

Also most people find murder emotionally difficult even in stressful situations and especially against someone who is currently helpless (unless there's a mob because then they can pretend not to have agency again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i was unaware maternity leave was a real issue outside of the darkened flaking hearts of our GOP governors

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Berke Negri posted:

i was unaware maternity leave was a real issue outside of the darkened flaking hearts of our GOP governors

Enlightened young people also oppose it because "I got no time off from my 3 jobs and saved up for it why should anyone else"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lol it's just pages of "only the middle class should have children"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

visceril posted:

That's retarded. The black kid probably has numerous legs-up due to his parents and therefore it would behoove anyone that wants to survive long-term to be friends with him.

Also why do people,gravitate towards one obviously inept leader in these shows? Why doesn't a vanguard seize power and institute a system of councils?

Or just loving murder the shifty brute guys and his hench followers like asap?

i dont know man but all i know is that for like 4 episodes the black dude kept getting knocked around by everyone until finally some little girl knifed him in the neck. he's prolly still alive for dumb tv reasons tho.

PupsOfWar posted:

whats controversial about maternity leave

its good and people should have it

forbidden lesbian posted:

tviv is insanely retarded, pls do not read it

Badger of Basra posted:

what did they say

visceril posted:

Is it baby's first realization, 'what about paternity leave', or 'heh, breeders'

a couple of Brave Posters are agreeing with Irish Joe and talking about how they shouldnt be forced to pay for another woman's/person's/family's kids. it's fygm to the very core and theyre trying to play it off as a rational, reasonable, conclusion.

DoggPickle posted:

Holy crap. I am speaking the words but I also want to :suicide: I sort of agree with Irish Joe.

If you can't even afford a month without pay, then how the hell are you going to afford diapers, school supplies, clothes etc. for 18+ years?

We live in a reality where having a baby is A CHOICE. There is absolutely no doubt that it is a CHOICE. I'm a girl as well, and I've been screwed over by other chicks taking absurd amounts of leave and making me do more work. I accept that as the price of doing business, but I do NOT accept them getting PAID for it while I do their job as well as mine, because they made a conscious choice.

I support a system where they should have that choice, so they should get paid leave for 2 weeks - a month depending on medical circumstance, and up to 12 weeks of having their job guaranteed so that they can be happy and healthy and come back to work without worry. And none of that should count against sick days/vacation (which are generally the same thing at every place I've ever worked). The husbands/fathers should get the same deal without the 2 weeks+ paid part, but they should be able to go home and not get paid and still get their job back without worry.

But anything more than that?? I'm completely against. I don't need miniature future people to pay for my retirement, because I scrimped and saved like people should. (Shut up about bootstraps bootstraps. It's entirely possible, barring a really terrible childhood where you are just screwed from the get-go, and that's an entirely different issue)

I guess it comes down to.. do we NEED more people on Earth, and my answer is a complete NO, so why encourage it at the expense of those currently living??

Your kid, helps me in ZERO WAYS. Why should I pay for it? If you're my friend, I might help you out with money or something, but a stranger's kid? F that kid. I don't care at all. I don't think this is a troll question at all!! Deadly serious :) Pick apart my post like I'm some kind of crazy person if you want.. but just explain to me why I should personally care about "other people" having babies and getting paid for it? It's not even good for "the earth" in a general sense, so what possible argument could you have?

This is just one segment where I 100% disagree with Oliver.

DoggPickle posted:

Because it's a life choice that you should save up for and plan.It's not a freak accident or a death of another person that you have no control over. A lot of couples buy houses too. Should you get extra pay or leave in order to do that? My dad died while I was at work. I took a half-day off. I already had my own house and if I didn't work, it wasn't getting paid for. My mom died on Christmas, so lucky me, I didn't need to take off work for that one. I did have to sell my car to pay for the funeral expenses and the two extra houses and two extra cars that I suddenly owned 5 days before all the mortgages/payments were due.

I can't believe I just wrote that.I think it was the dad death thing. In any case, life kicks you in the teeth inevitably and you make it work, because you have planned for it ahead of time. You have never bought a single soda or any drink in a bar, and you drive the cheapest car you can find and pay a redneck in beer when it breaks, you pack your own lunches, you do favors for friends so they do favors for you and it costs you nothing, you buy used furniture and pick up stuff from the thrift store, you make a week's meals on $8 by making stew or spaghetti, and you sweat all summer and freeze all winter so you can keep those electrical pennies piled up. You get your TV through an antenna, have a 30 year old microwave, and wash your car in the rain, and never miss a day of work or do anything but work loving hard in your whole life. If you haven't, then honestly I really have no sympathy (other that super-freak crazy expensive accidents or medical crap). Do you want to take a vacation to Italy? Then you save up for three years and you save your vacation days and you go. Why is choosing to have a baby any different? In any case, I'm out because I pulled the dead parents card, and I really don't want to read the replies because I will probably lose my poo poo. I think a bunch of you don't know how the world actually works. I'm not some simpleton who doesn't understand Social Security, I just truncated the main points .And in fact, I'm an incredibly happy and fun person who sees beauty and joy in almost everything, every day. This (short) life is all we get, and I would like to play it as fun as I can. If I could have some impact on the future - sure I'd try, but that's impossible, so it is a pointless waste of time.

Having babies is the ultimate self-centered thing you could ever do in your life. You're saying "My genes are so AWESOME, there should be MORE of ME!!! :dance:" So yeah, I kinda resent the self-centered comments. Why the hell should I care if you want to make more copies of you? Why is that SACRED? It's the most ego-centric action possible in life!

I really like the Show btw. I just disagreed with this one segment.

Peace.

THE MAIN OFFENDER

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
abloobloo why should those FEMALES get things that i don't :reddit:

also lol irish joe, his old redtext was good

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

sounds like those guys would forcibly sterilize the heck out of some ethiopians

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

kustomkarkommando posted:

lol it's just pages of "only the middle class should have children"

yeah its what it boils down to

"if you dont have enough money to take off and potentially lose your job then how can you expect to raise a kid for 18+ years :downs:"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

uh dogg pickle is obviously idiotic but she's female so this post isnt gonna land as good as you think

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

She's a woman who posted here before.

Her trying to induce her own abortion, because she couldn't get it legally, is heartbreaking. She's had a rough life :smith:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Armani posted:

Her trying to induce her own abortion, because she couldn't get it legally, is heartbreaking. She's had a rough life :smith:

holy poo poo :smith:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

quote:

Having babies is the ultimate self-centered thing you could ever do in your life. You're saying "My genes are so AWESOME, there should be MORE of ME!!! :dance:"

holey moley lmao

what thread it this hapnan in?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Deadpool posted:

What the holy hell is going on in this thread? You know what nevermind, I don't care. Whatever it is drop it and move on.

i feel bad for deadpool sometimes

Swan Oat posted:

holey moley lmao

what thread it this hapnan in?

last week tonight

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

Look. I just did my absolute best to un-derail this thread. With no permanent enemies or hard feelings in mind. I don't know what the gently caress else anyone would want me to do right now. Yeah there are too many people to sustain the planet, and we should get that under control. But all this talk about the right to have kids is also based strongly in the idea that "my country" should have more kids. Am I wrong? It's a pretty clear fact that the more educated people get, the less children they have. That's totally screwing over a lot of very white, very globally rich countries. Why should I care about that?

Of COURSE the Al-Aqsa brigade wants to make it about D&D and calls me grandma when I'm 36. Maybe in Palestine.:laffo: I was literally forced to bear a child when I did not want one. The internet as we know it did not exist yet. I took all kinds of supposedly abortifactiants. I smoked as many cigarettes as possible.. I even resorted to punching myself in the stomach and "flailing" onto solid objects until my entire stomach was black and blue and I just couldn't do it anymore. Miscarriages are so CONVENIENT on TV. When I got to 5 months and realized that I couldn't get rid of this drat thing no matter what, I did what any humanitarian with an inkling of compassion would do and took really good care of myself so that it wouldn't come out misshapen or retarded.

^maybe that Palestine bit is a little uncalled for, but I've been nothing but polite, admitted that I have an unpopular opinion and agreed to just let it go.

yeah it's pretty tagic

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
oh also i got a dang smartwatch as a groomsmans gift yesterday, what the hell should i do with it? i would feel bad selling it, but its a smartwatch..... no to wearable tech......

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
ADTRW trip report: I just saw a thread where Dickeye was the most reasonable and least skeevy poster
I've decided there will be no more ADTRW trips

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

oh also i got a dang smartwatch as a groomsmans gift yesterday, what the hell should i do with it? i would feel bad selling it, but its a smartwatch..... no to wearable tech......

sell it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Armani posted:

This makes the whole "I just sucked it up so everyone should" thing even more baffling, you'd think that'd be the point where you go "poo poo nobody should have to do this"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

Frankly, kids need more time away from their stupid helicopter parents these days anyways. (sorry got a little Off-topic, but even my own friends piss me off now. Let the kid BE ALONE for two seconds, JESUS)

cut the cord already, jeez!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Small Frozen Thing posted:

ADTRW trip report: I just saw a thread where Dickeye was the most reasonable and least skeevy poster
I've decided there will be no more ADTRW trips

Uhhhhhhhh toku thread? That's the only thread I really post in. I love shows w/ dudes in spandex punching each other.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

sell it

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

This makes the whole "I just sucked it up so everyone should" thing even more baffling, you'd think that'd be the point where you go "poo poo nobody should have to do this"

yeah but some people are more inclined to seeing others suffer like they did rather than not have to go through whatever harrowing experiences damaged them past the point of having empathy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
One time I got in trouble in the toku thread for being mean to awful forums poster Jivjov who's a mouthbreather who thinks that not translating shows that are in a foreign language is a good thing for someone who is translating that show to do

By one time I mean multiple times there's a reason I don't post in ADTRW anymore

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

cut the cord already, jeez!

i find it hilarious that she's comparing parents of newborns to helicopter parents.

like lol, what? yeah no, 0 attention is totally what a newly born baby needs

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
meanwhile in the jesus thread

CowOnCrack posted:

If Jesus were alive today, he'd say,

"You make those homosexuals the best cake you've ever made in your life. Marriage was made for man and woman, not man and woman for marriage."

Then, after making them the most badass cake in the universe, they could follow up and talk about their beliefs if the homosexual couple are willing to listen. If not, then they should just let it go (and sneak a Bible verse in the box somewhere :P). I do for the record believe that marriage is between a man and a woman only, but this is the best way to go. Always.

Grace, and Truth. Truth, and Grace.

if you provide services for a gay wedding according to noted psycho stalker cows on crack you should in fact leave passive aggressive messages for the happy gay couple informing them that god abhors their choices.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

It loving should be. If a Norwegian politician even suggested that maternity leave should be 12 unpaid weeks there would be loving riots.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Alhazred posted:

It loving should be. If a Norwegian politician even suggested that maternity leave should be 12 unpaid weeks there would be loving riots.

american businesses absolutely abhor parenthood

all that 'family first!' poo poo conservatives trot out is bullshit through and through

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm glad I mostly post in D&D with occasional flybys of the book barn or BSS to drop recommendations

also sometimes the vocational and hobby places, like Automotive Insanity's tractor thread

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Literally The Worst posted:

One time I got in trouble in the toku thread for being mean to awful forums poster Jivjov who's a mouthbreather who thinks that not translating shows that are in a foreign language is a good thing for someone who is translating that show to do

By one time I mean multiple times there's a reason I don't post in ADTRW anymore

wait what? when, how ,why?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

wait what? when, how ,why?

which part

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

whenever someone mentions overpopulation i stop in my track and let out an 'oh word?' before unhinging my jaw

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

CowOnCrack posted:

My sincere feeling is that my parents didn't love me at all. They didn't understand me or my needs - they weren't even there to try. All of their parenting was lip service to cover their obsession with each other and their work. I would have much rather my Dad have beaten me than to have stumbled through life like I did following my instincts and going through one hell after another. Instead he enabled us and made excuses, especially with my sister. I feel like my life has been one long attempt to escape from being looked at and treated as a monster, which is the legacy of the catastrophic sin of labeling anybody with so-called 'mental illness'.

For me video game addiction was my escape and outlet from not feeling loved or wanted by anyone. Of course many people haven't even admitted that video games is a modern combination of gambling and heroin and should be thought of as such, but repenting of this was part of my Baptismal testimony and I no longer partake. Now that I believe in the soul and that I'm not some broken-brained monster with no hope but taking pills (literal loving horse tranquilizers) that destroy my body and mind, I can face life. I know that I am a child of God and that he loves me, and I am just the way he made me. I know my parents hurt me badly by not obeying and teaching the Word of God in the home, and even though I always did my best to honor them they led me down the primrose path nearly to my destruction until God saved me. I know that he loves me in spite of my failures and oddities, and that his merciful Grace covers all of my failures and weaknesses. Oh the love of my Lord Jesus for me. Let me be the Apostle of the 'mentally ill', God's beautiful angels who are imprisoned in the lies of their age and their parents.

Without these sacred truths regulating our family lives, the children will be annihilated.

:captainpop:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

the part about how translators shouldn't translate shows. I've seen stupid poo poo in ADTRW but not something that stupid.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ah yes, child abuse is the well-known cure for addiction

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

R. Mute posted:

whenever someone mentions overpopulation i stop in my track and let out an 'oh word?' before unhinging my jaw

suck cock to stop overpopulation, pro strat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

the part about how translators shouldn't translate shows. I've seen stupid poo poo in ADTRW but not something that stupid.

TVnihon is a famous sub group that is noted for being really bad at translating and leaving a bunch of poo poo untranslated because well here have their leader's own actual words

quote:

Japanese in subs: The problems with cultural whitewashing

Submitted by takenoko on Thu, 03/03/2011 - 11:03
The importance of Japanese in translations for Japanese shows thread

So last week some guy was mad at me for some reason in the Gokai 2 release thread. In it, he suggested that the Medals be translated instead of using stuff like Taka and Tora and Batta and stuff. It seemed strange to me, since even if you don't know Japanese, it can't be that confusing to keep track of which Medal goes with which animal.

It was suggested that people would learn better by having the translation each time, a reenforcement of the meanings. And that makes sense, but it would seem to me that you'd learn a Japanese word better if you saw the Japanese phrasing. People more than likely know animal names like "hawk, tiger, grasshopper", it's the Japanese that they need practice on. Even if you missed a note, I'm sure you can infer "that's a bird" or "that has tentacles", it must be this animal. There's nothing wrong with saying there's a slight bump in the learning curve that one must overcome. I mean, you're watching a Japanese show with subtitles and not a dub or English remake for a reason, right?

Plus it's more fun to leave it in Japanese. Taka Medal, Taka Can. Plus the songs are done based on the Japanese names. What would you have instead for Hawk, Tiger, Grasshopper? Would the song need to be translated next? Hatigra combo?

I want to give you tools so that you can enjoy these shows, but I don't want to make the shows something they're not. There are a lot of problems with shoehorning one culture's thing into another's. Something is always lost. And to some extent, this is a sort of censorship of the original culture.

A real good example of this is the first book for Harry Potter. In Britain it's called The Philosopher's Stone, referring to the famous thingy that is a philosopher's stone, something that was a thing. You can Google "philosopher's stone" and find references to it that aren't Harry Potter. For America, it was dumbed down to Sorceror's Stone? You Google "sorceror's stone" and only get Harry Potter results. And this sort of thing is done throughout the book; there's probably a list of the changes somewhere. In any case, I'd rather read the original British book and stumble on the quirky differences between our language (and y'know, maybe look up something every once in a while) than read something that was changed because some guy thought kids couldn't handle "philosopher's stone". I mean, do you really want other people filtering the content for you? This is the kind of thing that happens when people take liberties with the original material. They change stuff around and make stuff up.

Is this stuff necessarily bad? Not exactly. I watched the Yu-gi-oh dub and enjoyed it. But I'm sure that the questionable content was cut out and certain references to the occult were cut out. Heck, didn't they even redo the animation so there was exposed bosom on the female characters? It's fine to enjoy the end result, but you have to admit that you're watching something removed from the original work. Sort of like watching a theater cut and a director's cut. People are probabaly going to have their preferences

Well, we try to preserve the cultural stuff. That's not to say we make things purposefully awkward. I really like gonig back and forth with QC to try to find a good medium ground. I don't want to cut something out entirely because it might challenge the viewers. I want to believe that you guys are smart and that you guys are learning a lot of interesting stuff by watching our subs.

cultural whitewashing

Fun fact at the time this was posted there was a group doing exactly what this guy went "what's the alternative???" about and that group is v good almost like you should actually loving translate poo poo

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

nutranurse posted:

ah yes, child abuse is the well-known cure for addiction

his only complaint about his parents fyi is that they worked a lot and didn't discipline him more

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

All but like 3 posters in that thread should be given a time out at the least.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

cow on crack was the one that posted that thread at christmas about stalking someone wasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i was just about to post this

forbidden lesbian posted:

suck cock to stop overpopulation, pro strat

lol

• Locked thread