Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is just coming down to a taste in aesthetics thing now. Like the CGI in Jurassic World looks better than Jason and the Argonauts' stop motion when it comes to just being an effect. But yeah I like Jason and the Argonauts' skeletons more than the dinosaurs we seen so far but that is just because they look stylin and are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

has male lead playing as a raptor whisperer that is so comical it might has well be a Parks and Rec skit.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Jason and the Argonauts

also this is pretty silly

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Something this movie and those who are excited to see it don't have

The only acceptable way to watch this is to pretend its a special episode of Johnny Karate

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Now watch as you slowly become noise

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Burkion posted:

Mind you I can't speak for the person who you quoted, but I don't give a drat if the effects aren't as good as when I first saw them, because I understand that while these are technically superior, they are shot in worse different ways.

There is little care given to this, just special effects for its own sake. It's the same problem that the Star Wars Prequels had- shoving in more poo poo to look more impressive than it really is.

They could have done this and made it look more convincing by either shooting it a different way, or mixing animatronics with the CGI, something really there to offset all of the stuff that isn't. They didn't want to though.

So... you totally understand that they're not trying for naturalism in the way the original JP did. Why do you keep judging by those standards? I mean it's fine if you prefer one thing over another but it's pretty dumb to critique a Picasso for not being photoreal.

Burkion posted:

They're lazy with the effects and it shows. Which is really bad because of how it affects the special effects people who have to make this stuff.

You admit the effects are technically more advanced and far more ambitious, but then call the people who made this stuff lazy, then lament that people like you, saying things like you say, further devalue already massively overworked and exploited artists. What?

Burkion posted:

In that movie, you totally bought that the humans were interacting with cartoons- but you never once thought the cartoons were real. That's because they were, in the end, cartoons.

This is the same thing. It's not trying to have the dinosaurs be real, it's just giving us CGI cartoon dinosaurs that people can interact with.

The dinosaurs aren't real. You seem to understand this. Aside from just being a fact (dinos are extinct IRL) that's, like, a specific theme of this movie. Why should the themes of the film conflict with the visuals?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

It sucks that people work 100 hour work weeks for so little pay and the end result is pure poo poo that is awful. I'm sure the talented people who put this together could and would love to make something truly special but that happens so rarely that it would be better if they all found better professions if they can.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
How good everything looks in the final assembly is still up in the air.

The real X factor will just be how well everything's paced, cut, whether or not we give a poo poo about anyone involved, etc. The writers have done good stuff but I haven't seem anything of the director's, so I'm wavering.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It sucks that people work 100 hour work weeks for so little pay and the end result is pure poo poo that is awful. I'm sure the talented people who put this together could and would love to make something truly special but that happens so rarely that it would be better if they all found better professions if they can.

"Why isn't every movie iconic and special? Why can't they all be in my top 1%?! Clearly it'd be better if all VFX people quit their jobs and dissolved the industry. After all, their output isn't quite to my taste." :wtc:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Basically yeah.

Either that or work yourself to death to make just enough money to be able to afford food for the sake for the sake of creating "art" that's been manufactured like a one hit wonder pop song.

And hell, if these media conglomerates are asking for 2+ hours of my time it better be special.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Basically yeah.

Either that or work yourself to death to make just enough money to be able to afford food for the sake for the sake of creating "art" that's been manufactured like a one hit wonder pop song.

Rants against the superficiality of pop music are not helping your case.

We're talking about a sequel to a film that was manufactured and hyped to the heavens from the instant the book was optioned.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Clearly it'd be better if all VFX people quit their jobs and dissolved the industry.

Oddly enough that's already happening. The article I linked said almost all cgi is done by 6 studios but don't really mentioned that's because the rest went bankrupt or scarpered. People are getting warned away from pursuing a career in cgi and a lot of people, from what I understand, are switching over to other jobs.

In a way cgi studios are going the way of traditional animation. Traditional animation rose in the 90's died in the 00's and came back in the 10's. Granted that had more to do with Disney loving up and then rebuilding but same diff.

Imo, if all cgi looked like District 9's did I would die happy but that was a somewhat unique case in that it started as a Halo film, with a halo budget and switched gears over to another movie entirely.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Red Mundus posted:

Oddly enough that's already happening. The article I linked said almost all cgi is done by 6 studios but don't really mentioned that's because the rest went bankrupt or scarpered. People are getting warned away from pursuing a career in cgi and a lot of people, from what I understand, are switching over to other jobs.

In a way cgi studios are going the way of traditional animation. Traditional animation rose in the 90's died in the 00's and came back in the 10's. Granted that had more to do with Disney loving up and then rebuilding but same diff.

Imo, if all cgi looked like District 9's did I would die happy but that was a somewhat unique case in that it started as a Halo film, with a halo budget and switched gears over to another movie entirely.

Good. CGI is used so often without restraint that it should die out. If big budget hollywood film's can't achieve District 9 quality effects then its all the better. Unfortunately Avatar was praised for it's CGI and it looked like cartoony poo poo that would look more suited as a trailer for a video game.

Thanks for linking the documentary btw

Shame that such talented people waste their lives on this trash and you have idiot posters here defending it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm willing to forgive some mediocre CG if it's doing something cool at least. Like, compare it with practical effects and props for Buckaroo Banzai, they look cheap as hell but somehow the movie's energy glosses over it and you just roll with it. CG is certainly used about 10x as much as it should be these days though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You're really conflating two at best tenuously related things here.

One is a very real problem in the VFX industry that could become a genuine crisis, and while all the FX companies going away would force some change in how Hollywood does things it would likely mean even more people going broke before studio executives feel any pinch, so it would be nice if they changed sooner instead of later.

The other is your judgment of how good Jurassic World is going to be based on the trailers. It may well end up terrible but if it is it won't just be because the CGI looks a little ropey.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Sure but that doesn't change the fact that the CGI is an abomination and the trailer presents a premise that is too comical to even pretend it has any chance of achieving worth that is higher than gutter trash for the adam sandler crowd

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
With the power of CGI we could make your posts good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SweetAsselin posted:

If some kid swiped at a dog with a blunt object the way the girl in the background does the kid would get bit. Teach your kid to play gentle with animals.

*Hugging's A-Ok though! :dance:
Oh I don't disagree with that.

Darko posted:

I can't stop looking at that petting zoo gif and have been laughing at it for the last five minutes. I now think this movie will be great.
The more I think about it, the more I think this movie is going to totally blow kids' minds in ways that haven't been seen since the first movie.

When I was 9 and I saw the first JP, I desperately wanted Jurassic Park to be a real place that I could visit, and the first movie came just close enough to that and didn't even feature a fully functional park on-screen. This movie is outright showing an operating park, and it's including a ton of stuff that I wouldn't have expected to see but makes total sense and would have made 9-year-old me go even more insane. A dinosaur petting zoo? Getting right up close with a T-rex? Getting to ride in a hamster ball right up next to a herd of dinosaurs? Floating downriver as a bunch of dinosaurs are grazing on the shore? Hell yes.

It's looking like a big portion of the movie will be Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis: The Movie and I think that's completely awesome, and it's what I've been waiting for for 20 years.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I doubt those are compys running around the petting zoo. While cute they would probably bite like an otter or meerkat and then some rear end in a top hat will demand that they all get put down because they were loving stupid http://archive.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=131535

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Has something changed in CG (or not changed) because lately every film has the worst CG I've seen since phantom menace.

-The Hobbit movies looked cartoonish and more like something I would see from a Blizzard cutscene.
-The jittering in the Avengers 2 opening scened looked worse than skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts
-And now jurassic world's dinosaurs have the same quality or worse than the first Shrek movie

How does the CG from a film over 2 decades ago look better than this?

It's hard to judge CG on trailers. They all use unfinished/not final shots. It's not unique to Jurassic World, its common to most VFX heavy movie and trailers. Plus we have no control what the internet guys do to the footage.. they'll change the color grading/crush colors/change compression and everything can look completely different than what we see in dailies.

Whelp.

:shobon:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Big K of Justice posted:

It's hard to judge CG on trailers. They all use unfinished/not final shots. It's not unique to Jurassic World, its common to most VFX heavy movie and trailers. Plus we have no control what the internet guys do to the footage.. they'll change the color grading/crush colors/change compression and everything can look completely different than what we see in dailies.

Whelp.

:shobon:

Sure I get that. I mean I still remember the star wars white glowing light sabers from its first trailer.

However the movies I referenced were complete productions and looked like poo poo that was farmed out to a bunch of local college freshman and so far Jurassic World doesn't look any better. There's no wow factor like the first film. There's no magic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red Mundus posted:

District 9's CGI looks really bad now.

Also on a sidenote I find it funny that people were championing how scary the Prawns looked when they literally had giant puppy dog eyes.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

And hell, if these media conglomerates are asking for 2+ hours of my time it better be special.

Don' t flatter yourself.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's kind of amusing, your mindset here is exactly the issue this film is going to address - "These objectively awesome technical achievements aren't as real or exciting as they were when I first saw them, why can't they wow me now? Why aren't they trying? I'm bored! Blow my mind again! Do something better!"

There's actually a really good Cracked article/listicle/whathaveyou about why the effects look better in the older movies.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-expensive-films-end-up-with-crappy-special-effects/

Jurassic World is probably going to be terrible because it goes just beyond the level of suspension of disbelief and the conflict is stupid. The effects and such don't help.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 17, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
"beyond the level of suspension of disbelief"
pfffffffffffffft

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what lies past beyond the level of suspension of disbelief? past the highs and lows of uncanny valley? what, wise one, the one our village calls "keeper", what lies there?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mr.capps posted:

what lies past beyond the level of suspension of disbelief? past the highs and lows of uncanny valley? what, wise one, the one our village calls "keeper", what lies there?

Tammy and the T-Rex?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mr.capps posted:

It's almost like it's entirely subjective and doesn't apply to everyone in the same way

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Burkion posted:

It's almost like it's entirely subjective and doesn't apply to everyone in the same way

it is almost like saying "beyond the level of suspension of disbelief" is an incredibly stupid thing to say, because it sounds incredibly stupid

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mr.capps posted:

it is almost like saying "beyond the level of suspension of disbelief" is an incredibly stupid thing to say, because it sounds incredibly stupid

I won't disagree with that, but something that breaks the suspension of disbelief is a valid thing. Dunno why some one would add all of the extra words to it, but you know whatever.

The idea is the same. This is something that breaks MAH IMMERSION and doesn't make up for it in other ways.

Mind I'm not really on that side of the fence. I'm willing to put up with a lot of bullshit. Nothing in this movie strains my own credulity, though the noted 30 pound pterodactyls picking up much, much, much heavier dinos is rather hilarious when pointed out.

For me this is just a dumb monster movie that looks kind of boring for being a monster movie. But if we get a full on dino civil war with T-Rex vs I-Rex then sure I'm OK with that.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Awful lot of posters getting defensive about lovely CGI in a lovely summer film.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Thing is, I grew up on Godzilla movies, Doctor Who episodes, and cheap 50s B flicks. Bad special effects rarely bother me unless they're aesthetically unpleasant (like, say, all the ugly mattes in the original Clash of the Titans.) Sure, Jurassic World cost multiple hundreds of millions of dollars and so on, so you expect them to be better to start with, but it won't make a huge difference unless it actually makes the film overall look bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I wonder what movies from the past 5 years people felt actually had good CGI.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was decent. Chappie and Life of Pi were as well. That's about it. CGI is pretty garbage.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

How could you forget The Wolf of Wall Street?? Oh, right, it's because you didn't notice that basically every film now employs at least dozens of CGI shots to do set extensions, swap backgrounds, add/remove people, completely redo backdrops, and on and on and on.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

How could you forget The Wolf of Wall Street?? Oh, right, it's because you didn't notice that basically every film now employs at least dozens of CGI shots to do set extensions, swap backgrounds, add/remove people, completely redo backdrops, and on and on and on.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I didn't see it because it was 3 hours long and looked boring, but wutev.

Most CG looks like garbage and it's pretty obvious no one in Hollywood cares. Why does it make you upset when people point this out? Do you have the stunted emotions of a small child?

Edit: lol I just watched the vid you linked and, save for a few scenes, holy lol if you thought looked impressive instead of cartoon video game poo poo

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 17, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Aahhahah.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

For 3 hours it better be as amazing as the new Mad Max film or its just a waste of my time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

For 3 hours it better be as amazing as the new Mad Max film or its just a waste of my time.

All of these incredibly stupid posts have been very much worth it just for that so thank you.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Most CG looks like garbage and it's pretty obvious no one in Hollywood cares. Why does it make you upset when people point this out? Do you have the stunted emotions of a small child?

Edit: lol I just watched the vid you linked and, save for a few scenes, holy lol if you thought looked impressive instead of cartoon video game poo poo

wutev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

No offense but I feel like GBS would suit you better at this point. They got a good Mad Max thread going there for you to roll around in.

• Locked thread