Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

There's supposed to be a fuel shortage in the future yet we have cars that can drive for days without stopping for a refuel.

Next thing you say that it is impossible to feed a small army on milk from a dozen women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ImpAtom posted:

I think that's kind of the point though. It's exceptional only in that it's unexceptional and yet so few films are able to do it. It's a low bar to clear but the fact that such a low far being cleared has people screamed in anger or praising the film kind of emphasizes that basic human empathy is something lacking in a lot of films.

Again, they play this beautifully with Nux and Capable. We get a tender moment as they're both dozing in the back seat and we see Nux gently pluck a beetle from her shoulder and contemplate it in a moment of silence... Then he shoves the drat thing in his mouth because he hasn't eaten in days.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm such a huge loving nerd that I'm already planning a conversion for an Ork Battlewagon to become a Doof Wagon. Goff Rockers will ride again! I LIVE! I DIE! I LIVE AGAIN FER ANNUVER GO!

An Ork Rok Waggon frontmanned by an enslaved Noise Marine. Praise Slaanesh. :black101:

Also I saw this movie yesterday. Wanted to watch it again after 4 hours. What an achievement.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

OB_Juan posted:

The night scenes were super cool. Something about guys on stilts dressed like crows ambling around in the mud in an eerie blue night with no explanation at the time was so weird and awesome.

Are they definitely people? I saw them as actual crows, mutated beyond recognition, with legs and wings transformed into bony protrusions. Which is loving horrifying.

Looking forward to seeing them again on the next viewing. I wish we saw more of them, but in a way, the lack of any explanation or detail is probably what made them so sinister.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Baron Bifford posted:

There's supposed to be a fuel shortage in the future yet we have cars that can drive for days without stopping for a refuel.

If that's the hill you're choosing to die on regarding this film... OK I guess?

:thumbsup:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

fatherboxx posted:

Next thing you say that it is impossible to feed a small army on milk from a dozen women.
No, the next thing I'm going to say is that dumping water onto a crowd is a very inefficient means of water distribution - scandalous in an age of scarcity. :cheeky:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Time for round 2! :getin:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Baron Bifford posted:

There's a town called Gastown that manufactures guzzolene. Enough gas for the 70 vehicles left on earth. And even then The People Eater is like "look how much loving guzzolene we're wasting".

There's a town called The Bullet Farm who obviously barters the rare and valuable bullets necessary for survival in the waste.

And the citadel controls clean water, which it uses to grow crops (and produce mother's milk).

Water and food, gas, bullets. There's three communities that are in trade with each other. And the whole thing with fatty keeping tabs on the gas used is because it's going to cost ol' Joe a loving fortune in water and food to pay for this, as THE SCALES OF JUSTICE put it, "a family squabble".

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Baron Bifford posted:

No, the next thing I'm going to say is that dumping water onto a crowd is a very inefficient means of water distribution - scandalous in an age of scarcity. :cheeky:
Immortan Joe doesn't do it like that to distribute water to the masses, he does it as a show of power. The other warlords do the same thing with gas (fire) and bullets. It's the same reason why Palm Springs is still full of green golf courses and lawns despite being surrounded by desert in a state that has no loving water left.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

There's a town called Gastown that manufactures guzzolene. Enough gas for the 70 vehicles left on earth. And even then The People Eater is like "look how much loving guzzolene we're wasting".

There's a town called The Bullet Farm who obviously barters the rare and valuable bullets necessary for survival in the waste.

And the citadel controls clean water, which it uses to grow crops (and produce mother's milk).

Water and food, gas, bullets. There's three communities that are in trade with each other. And the whole thing with fatty keeping tabs on the gas used is because it's going to cost ol' Joe a loving fortune in water and food to pay for this, as THE SCALES OF JUSTICE put it, "a family squabble".
Ok, maybe Joe's war party brought reserves along, but what about Furiosa's big truck? Or the Vuvalini's motorcycles? They were planning to go across the salt flats for 160 days.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So who did kill the world? They ask it a couple times, is it just "the patriarchy" in the abstract or what?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

the best pasta

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ash1138 posted:

Immortan Joe doesn't do it like that to distribute water to the masses, he does it as a show of power. The other warlords do the same thing with gas (fire) and bullets. It's the same reason why Palm Springs is still full of green golf courses and lawns despite being surrounded by desert in a state that has no loving water left.

Fury Road is a documentary about California sent back in time from the far off year 2019.

The salt plains are Nevada. If Furiosa and company just rode east for 10 days they would have found out Nebraska and Iowa are still there, green as ever, and filled to the brim with tater tots and corn dogs and coca cola.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

effectual posted:

So who did kill the world? They ask it a couple times, is it just "the patriarchy" in the abstract or what?

men folk for sure

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Mad Max movies are set in Australia. If the bikes could go for 160 days, they could easily have reached the coast.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TerminalSaint posted:

I think they cloned Tom Hardy in a lab to make his stunt man:

He looks like Macklemore if he hadn't turned out butt ugly.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

effectual posted:

Those who consumed more than they needed.

Those who hurt others to get what they wanted.

Those who took their life on the earth for granted by seeking artifice.

People Eater, Bullet Farmer, and The Cult of Joe, respectively.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

Mad Max movies are set in Australia. If the bikes could go for 160 days, they could easily have reached the coast.

Fool, the maps lie, Australia doesn't have coasts.

Just desert, stretched out till worlds end.

sydney, and its habour bridge is actually part of New Zealand.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Baron Bifford posted:

They've only heard legends of the old world. Even if the total collapse and nuclear war was 33 years ago, there's nothing specifically saying how long the world was complete poo poo before "the big one". Food and gas and water could have been scarce for a century before the nukes were launched, which would be a good reason to finally launch the nukes.

So with the old world dead for god knows how long, there aren't any Magellans mapping the waste land. They have literally no idea what's beyond the horizon. No one has ever crossed the salt plains and come back. The coast could be just 2 or 3 days away, and on that coast is a war tribe that makes Joe and the War Boys look like the puppy bowl. Or the coast could be 20 days away but the radiation at the 10 day mark kills almost instantly.

They have no clue. They're just confident they have enough supplies to try and find out, for better or worse.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope Fury Road spawns a Doof Warrior spin-off prequel movie.

We deserve it.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm pretty sure they brought extra gasoline or something. There's even a scene where their bookkeeper goes, "Jesus loving Christ at the cost in ammo and gasoline! Boss, are you sure you want to keep burning all these resources for just a few knocked up women?".

But eh, I consider it to be in the same territory as heroes never being shown to take a poo poo in movies. Do we really need to see it to be drawn into the movie?

Baron Bifford posted:

It's to help them beat their addiction to water. Immortan Joe only tries to aid his followers.

Batham fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 17, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

By the name, I'd assume they've got a crude bullet factory of some sort going. Even if they're manufacturing with recycled shells or something.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ImpAtom posted:

I think that's kind of the point though. It's exceptional only in that it's unexceptional and yet so few films are able to do it. It's a low bar to clear but the fact that such a low bar being cleared has people screaming in anger or praising the film kind of emphasizes that basic human empathy is something lacking in a lot of films.

I have SO MANY female friends who are interested in seeing this movie, but don't want to have to put up with the inevitable rape scene or seeing the woman character stop doing awesome things because she likes the male character so much, and they get SO EXCITED when I tell them that none of that happens in this movie. That's literally all people are asking for the bar to be set to, that people get to watch a movie with women in it and actually identify with them instead of watching them get shoved into a corner and letting everybody else get to do the interesting character stuff. The fact that Furiosa is such a great character and yet there's also a ton of additional female characters with all sorts of different personalities and traits means they're not forced into identifying with the One Girl In the Movie, and my wife was so stoked that she could say something like "I actually really liked that old lady character the best", because you never really see many movies that don't just have one or two women in them.

And yeah, that all seems like such a simple thing, but I know a ton of people who have gotten so jaded from movies in the past, that they're actually scared to get their hopes up for this one. That's really sad.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Saturday's earnings seem to have been added to boxofficemojo: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=furyroad.htm

It's up to 44 million in the US and 110 million world wide. Not bad for the first 2 days.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Looking like $44.4M domestic for the weekend, right around the expected $40M mark, with another $65M internationally.

E:F,B

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I think that's kind of the point though. It's exceptional only in that it's unexceptional and yet so few films are able to do it. It's a low bar to clear but the fact that such a low bar being cleared has people screaming in anger or praising the film kind of emphasizes that basic human empathy is something lacking in a lot of films.

Empathy isn't remotely common. Basic perhaps, but it's an unusual, learned trait, not an inherent one. Parents who teach their children to 'walk in another man's shoes' develop it more deeply (also bizarrely and a bit amusingly given the nature of the outrage around this movie, I remember reading something about fathers teaching this apparently being more successful than mothers, go figure.) It's also not a valuable trait in a gently caress you got mine consumerist society. Or in the post apocalyptic wasteland I suppose. Perhaps not surprising that it's comparatively rare in film :v:

Crappy Jack posted:

I have SO MANY female friends who are interested in seeing this movie, but don't want to have to put up with the inevitable rape scene or seeing the woman character stop doing awesome things because she likes the male character so much, and they get SO EXCITED when I tell them that none of that happens in this movie.

And yeah, that all seems like such a simple thing, but I know a ton of people who have gotten so jaded from movies in the past, that they're actually scared to get their hopes up for this one. That's really sad.

And that's a bit depressing :(

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

By the name, I'd assume they've got a crude bullet factory of some sort going. Even if they're manufacturing with recycled shells or something.

Given that the world has at least some technical know-how left it's not that crazy to assume they're just reloading brass. Bullets and gunpowder, even smokeless powder, aren't particularly hard to make.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
My friend summed it up nicely. Mad Max: Fury Road = 10/10. Would bang.

Seriously considering seeing this twice. That doesn't happen a lot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think I read in one of the concept things that the Bullet Farmer's town is built up on a sunken military base and that, true to their leader's name, they literally til the sands to turn up rich bounties of unspent ammunition. :black101:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't stand the thought of that SJW nonsense like "women are people" and "people aren't property".

Why did it have to be in my beloved film series where slavers, rapists, and misogynist psychopaths get there skulls bashed in with bolt cutters and set on fire?

I will not see this. Mai Waifu and I will be MANcotting this movie.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Each warlord does their thing as a show of power. The People Eater is at least pragmatic about it, but even for him it's not so much conservation as its money. He even says "These deficits are mounting by the hour!" or something to that effect. He's probably pissed off about having to commit his war party (probably through some mutual treaty or something) because he likely doesn't completely trust the other warlords will actually pay/barter him for all the guzzoline he brings.

The Bullet Farmer is a different story; I think for him he thinks its wasteful to not just shoot everybody and be done with it. He has the means and resources to deal with problems in the most brute force and straightforward manner; trying to recapture the wives probably is an unnecessary pain in the rear end. But obviously he has some commitment to this too.

Somebody upthread suggested all three Warlords were related and I can see this. While a tenuous alliance is mutually beneficial, I can't see why the other two Warlords wouldn't be all "gently caress it, deal with your own Jerry Springer problems, Joe". They certainly don't seem to be very happy about the whole arrangement.

LabRat1
Apr 19, 2009

Roman Reigns posted:

That would make Max in his 50s then.

It could be an estimate of his age if they no longer count time in years. The back tattoo reads like a blood donor questionnaire, which normally covers medical history, where you have been, blood type, height, weight and age. Considering what they used him for it would make sense.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

I think that both the SJW's, which claim this is a gently caress you against men and is how it should be, and misogynists, who claim this movie portrays women being the superior sex, are both loving retarded and are missing the point entirely.

So gently caress both parties and let's keep it out of the thread. Let's instead talk about a spin-off about the Doof Warrior that we should get.

Batham fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 17, 2015

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

effectual posted:

The question, when it's asked, is always posed by women and the answer seems pretty clear that it's men. It's metaphorical and literal.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Despite whatever the MRA chucklefucks might be trying to convince people, the film wasn't exactly calling out men for killing the world, but specifically warlords and the people who follow them blindly. Like Immortan Joe and all his Warboys. They were just the continuation of the sort of thing that caused the world of Mad Max in the first place. I mean yeah, they were men but they generally tend to be, don't they? The breeders could have left "gently caress THE PATRIARCHY gently caress MEN" written all over the place but instead they wrote "OUR BABIES WILL NOT BE WARLORDS". They're just railing against the cycle of hosed-upedness that persists even past the end of the world.

And they're also, well, understandably not exactly big fans of their role in that cycle of course.

Hell, just for fun, it'd be a fun change of pace if in the next 2 5 20 100 films there was a female BBEG. I think Miller has proven his ability to treat his characters like more than caricatures. Also it would be funny to see the MRA reaction to that.

On the actual sequence of things, yeah, the end of the world is kept--thankfully--pretty vague. The intro narration for The Road Warrior pretty much says all you need to know though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

Oil starts running out, countries start fighting over it, infrastructure and public order eventually begins to break down leading to food and water shortages leading to further breakdowns of infrastructure and public order, eventually nukes fly as a last desperate lashing-out by nations that are just wounded, dying animals by that point.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 17, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheJoker138 posted:

So here's a quick thought/theory about something that happens near the end of the movie.

The salt plains that Furiosa and her pals are going to ride across. They say they have enough supplies to rid for 160 days across them, and Max is certain all they're going to find is more salt plains. They're going East. I'm pretty sure you could drive across all of Australia in 160 days. But you know what you probably could drive motorcycles across for 160 days without hitting anything else? The Pacific ocean.

Nah if they did that they would end up on New Zealand which would somehow be an untouched bastion of civilization... or a post apocalyptic hellhole ruled by feral sheep.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Somebody upthread suggested all three Warlords were related and I can see this. While a tenuous alliance is mutually beneficial, I can't see why the other two Warlords wouldn't be all "gently caress it, deal with your own Jerry Springer problems, Joe". They certainly don't seem to be very happy about the whole arrangement.

I figure you don't let someone's war party go out unanswered, no need for violence but everyone keeps tabs on one another. It's also an excuse to flex your muscle and remind the rabble why you're in charge.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Jaysus, the days were a top of the head calculation, they werent going to actually ride straight for 160 days

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Who runs the slave trade between all the tribes? Blood bags like Max are probably in high demand in the apocalyptic wastelands of George Miller's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Potential BFF posted:

I figure you don't let someone's war party go out unanswered, no need for violence but everyone keeps tabs on one another. It's also an excuse to flex your muscle and remind the rabble why you're in charge.

That's a good point. You get a lot of stability by avoiding reprisals and blood feuds. Wouldn't want some rival Warlord to have an excuse to take over your 'burg!

• Locked thread