Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
While waiting for the bus at the grocery store Friday, I saw a pony that puzzled me. The owner came out as I was debating whether or not I would have time to get closer for snapshots. He and I chatted for a couple of minutes as he loaded his groceries, then he agreed to take a moment for pictures with his Mercury Capri.

He said it was a 1978 that he bought for his son when he turned sixteen. After junior was done with it, the gentleman took it back and restored it. I think it's really a 1979; regardless, it looked quite sharp for its age. Wish I could have seen the dash, but he seemed pretty anxious to get seated and I didn't want to take any more of his time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUKuxKNwgrc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't believe the hype for Mad Max could possibly be right and I wept openly at multiple moments. This isn't an exageration. My friend thought something was wrong and the only Thing Wrong is that that is not the reality we live in.

THE MOTHER loving BLIND GUITARIST WITH THE DOUBLE NECK BASS THAT SHOOTS FIRE ON THE SEMI TRAILER BUILT OUT OF AMPS

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

THE MOTHER loving BLIND GUITARIST WITH THE DOUBLE NECK BASS THAT SHOOTS FIRE ON THE SEMI TRAILER BUILT OUT OF AMPS

THE DOOFWAGON

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Aggg y'all are killing me with all of this fury road chat. My finals / presentations are all next week, so I'm not letting myself see it until it's all done.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I didn't believe the hype for Mad Max could possibly be right and I wept openly at multiple moments. This isn't an exageration. My friend thought something was wrong and the only Thing Wrong is that that is not the reality we live in.

That whole setup looked like something Rammstein came up with. It was awesome :allears: also the porcupine cars were my wife's favorite. you shall enter valhalla all shiny and chrome :black101:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

One of the bigger chains bought out all their competition who had local theaters and shut them down, so now there's only one theater in this city that shows new movies, and one that shows poo poo already out on bluray.

So now it's $17/ticket to sit in a theater with speakers blown out by the 140 decibel commercials they show for 10 minutes before the movie to watch any new movie. I really want to see fury road, but i have standards, damnit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

All I wanted was to see the Interceptor again. That car was such a huge thing in my younger years and stamped itself as THE car many, many years ago. Any car with a dirty big supercharger insnatly reminds me of it.

So yes, I was grinning and laughing like an idiot when it kicked to life. And that was going to be enough.

BUT WHAT THE gently caress WAS THE REST OF THIS LUNACY?!?!?! Holy poo poo, the hype isnt doing this movie justice, it is by far the most utterly loving AI movie of them all, we have hit peak AI and it all chrome, V8's and Valhalla. There isnt any agrument what is the greatest car movie of them all now, Fury Road is simply IT. The DOOFWAGON. THE DOOFWAGON.

I draggged my SO to the theatre, she didnt want to see it but she utterly loved it and she's right now pretending to shred and wants to stick a dirty big supercharger on the Commodore and scream WAHT A DAY, WHAT A LOVELY DAY!!! while blasting down the highway.

SEE THIS loving MOVIE. NOW.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cat Terrist posted:

I draggged my SO to the theatre, she didnt want to see it but she utterly loved it and she's right now pretending to shred and wants to stick a dirty big supercharger on the Commodore and scream WAHT A DAY, WHAT A LOVELY DAY!!! while blasting down the highway.

That guy also plays young Hank McCoy/Beast in the X-Men movies.

Nux reminds me so much of this total motorhead I know. Young, hyperactive and obsessed with everything automotive.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

I'm sure I don't need to point this out to everyone, but I loving loved that the only reason the guitarist fights Max is because Max takes his guitar away, as soon as he lets it go, the guitarist ignores Max, picks his axe back up, and continues shredding.. I love that movie.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Way back when my dad always drove some big cars. Challenger, grand fury, crown vic country squire, cutlass wagon. But for the last 18 years or so its just been astro vans. His finally broke last year and he's been using his other work van ever since. He wanted to find an suv because he liked the higher ride height. Yesterday we went to one dealer and he saw a grand marquis ultimate edition and fell in love and bought it. I know people like to say "couch on wheels" but holy poo poo that is a comfy couch. 2009, 66k miles and it rides incredibly smooth. I bet it makes him feel like a kid again.

And my god, the trunk. It has more room than the interior of my mustang.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Darchangel posted:

going to see Fury Road in a couple hours, in Real3D X-treme(!), in a theater with reserved recliner seating. You guys better not be lying about how good it is.

Holy gently caress that was a rush!
A+ WILL see again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sigma X posted:

I'm sure I don't need to point this out to everyone, but I loving loved that the only reason the guitarist fights Max is because Max takes his guitar away, as soon as he lets it go, the guitarist ignores Max, picks his axe back up, and continues shredding.. I love that movie.

In a film full of wonderful characters it's great that one of the best is a guy whose entire shtick is shredding on a flamethrower guitar. Everyone I went with (a dozen people) was talking about how he was their favourite. Dude lived to shred. :black101:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to test signal strength on coax without having a signal level meter?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tide posted:

Is there any way to test signal strength on coax without having a signal level meter?

Not really, but don't forget that many set top boxes and cable modems have metersbasic metering functionality in them that can be accessed in diagnostic menus, so you may be able to use one of them for a rough idea rather than buying a $400 meter.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I just went and saw the Avengers 2 and really enjoyed it. Definately going to go see Mad Max ASAP, but gotta wait for until after the NBN is hooked up so we can show my housemate the first three Mad Max movies first so he actually GETS Fury Road

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

Not really, but don't forget that many set top boxes and cable modems have metersbasic metering functionality in them that can be accessed in diagnostic menus, so you may be able to use one of them for a rough idea rather than buying a $400 meter.

I'm trying to find out where my signal breaks. I was going go start outside at the junction box of my house and work inward at the splitters. About the only option I have is dragging around an extension cable, my modem, and a laptop.

Crap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ferremit posted:

...but gotta wait for until after the NBN is hooked up so we can show my housemate the first three Mad Max movies first so he actually GETS Fury Road

Not a requirement for this film. At all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tide posted:

I'm trying to find out where my signal breaks. I was going go start outside at the junction box of my house and work inward at the splitters. About the only option I have is dragging around an extension cable, my modem, and a laptop.

Crap.

If you're just looking for continuity across a cable make up a loopback plug and test for continuity on the other end with a multimeter on each segment of cable.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Motronic posted:

If you're just looking for continuity across a cable make up a loopback plug and test for continuity on the other end with a multimeter on each segment of cable.

poo poo gets weird across RF cable when poo poo may be 100% DC conductive but may have a high loss section in the RF spectrum you need it to work in. The best bet is to have the cable company come out with their SNR testers and test each of the jacks vs. where the line enters the house.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, RF is some crazy poo poo and the higher the frequency gets the crazier the poo poo gets.

A wire two inches long will absorb most of the power at one frequency and reflect it all away at another. With nothing touching it and the far end grounded. You can make an effective frequency doubler in the GHz-and-up bands by overdriving an amplifier so it clips, then feeding it into a pair of carefully trimmed to length wires close to each other but not quite touching.

A piece of coax can cause all kinds of weird behavior if it is damaged.

Here's some advanced RF magic: http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/zifssb/xband.html

:science:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Thanks again for coming up, Commie, let's do it again next year. You make it up to Chattanooga alright? I'm uploading the raw footage to youtube, now.

Also! You totally missed it, about 8 last night, Helen PD had to shut down main street because a crowd had gathered at the bridge and was goading everyone into doing burnouts. Will Brown has the footage on his phone, I'll get it from him. In the meantime, the city put this together that I'm watching right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ4OjJUm0ks

e: never mind they have some of it too @7:15

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 17, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

poo poo gets weird across RF cable when poo poo may be 100% DC conductive but may have a high loss section in the RF spectrum you need it to work in. The best bet is to have the cable company come out with their SNR testers and test each of the jacks vs. where the line enters the house.

Oh of course, I'm not suggesting that's a "real" test, but if we're talking about the most basic of verification like "where is this cable broken or detached" that gets you started. Then he can drag the cable modem and laptop around if they pass basic continuity.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Arriviste posted:

While waiting for the bus at the grocery store Friday, I saw a pony that puzzled me. The owner came out as I was debating whether or not I would have time to get closer for snapshots. He and I chatted for a couple of minutes as he loaded his groceries, then he agreed to take a moment for pictures with his Mercury Capri.

He said it was a 1978 that he bought for his son when he turned sixteen. After junior was done with it, the gentleman took it back and restored it. I think it's really a 1979; regardless, it looked quite sharp for its age. Wish I could have seen the dash, but he seemed pretty anxious to get seated and I didn't want to take any more of his time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUKuxKNwgrc

First car my dad bought when he moved us to America in Colorado. Studded tires, 2 sandbags in the back, Immagin owning a lada and then buying that. Smoked a dear, took us all over the west, moved us to Wisconsin got smoked by a f150 first winter storm. :( I fuckin loved that car.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Since Doofwagon Isn't considered spoilers it seems, I say this to anyone who thinks they need to wait to do ________ before seeing Fury Road.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mooseykins posted:

Does it have a blue 16A plug? My welder has one but it would take a lot to pull 16A, so i run a converter and a standard 3-pin 13A plug and it never has an issue. (even @200A)

eBay is your best bet for torches, you may find the same machine exists under a different name too for a manual. Does it not tell you what i needs for air supply? Usually it will tell you PSI in, and it will use what it needs for airflow.

Its got no plug on at the moment. Haven't found the manual online yet but it looks like it wants a 20A supply. I have a pile of both 16A and 32A commando plugs at work (I deal with UPS's in server rooms which have them on).

Looks like I need to go buy a 32A socket from screwfix and drop it directly off one of the MCB's in my garage fuse box on a bit of fat cable.

The torch has a seperate part number and manufacturer (Binzel PSB31) and clarke and sealey also seem to use it and bits seem easy to get. I think it actually just needs a new nozzle/electrode/insulator and has a smashed body which I can rebuild myself anyway (maybe another excuse to get a 3D printer! ;) )

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://www.returnofkings.com/63036/why-you-should-not-go-see-mad-max-feminist-road

Oh wait, he's serious. Allow me to laugh even harder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

SEE THIS loving MOVIE. NOW.
I just imagine you sobbing quietly in the theatre, occasionally murmering "STRAYA!" to yourself. :australia:

Did you clock who was playing Joe? Yes indeed, Toecutter himself.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
You're all making me want to see this movie, but that would mean me going to the cinema for the first time since the 90s. gently caress paying that much for an experience in possible lovely seats with lovely other people.

Also I wish I could tell that nerd to shut the gently caress up about games and other poo poo in comparison to Mad max. Comic, movie and gaming nerds are the worst.
I had 3 mates in the 90s that bought mainly XBs* and loved the hell out of mad max.
When they weren't working on the week ends, Sat night always kicked off with all of us watching mad max (again!), then loving off and looking for races and doing burnouts and poo poo.

* The only non XB falcon cars they owned were XAs and XCs; and also XY panel vans and utes - E: they loved the blue oval so much they couldn't bare to get a holden panel van like mad max had.
e: also, they still lived with mum, so she was the boss in their life too.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 17, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Regarding modemchat and other retro bullshit, if anyone wants to play around with setting up UUCP dial-up links, with the aim of eventually distributing newsgroups over the telephone lines, send me a PM. You'd need a Unix box and a serial modem.

(UUCP over TCP is also possible, so if you don't have a modem that's ok)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mercury Capri has one of the BEST front ends from any 80's car. So many cars I want to copy paste that front end onto.

Also pedestrian impact standards are not why the Camaro is a bunker.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

You're all making me want to see this movie, but that would mean me going to the cinema for the first time since the 90s. gently caress paying that much for an experience in possible lovely seats with lovely other people.
It's worth the money, and finding a cinema that has a policy like no under-18s to late showings helps. One of the reasons I go to the "nice" screen near me is that, well, the extra cost keeps out the riff-raff.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

It's worth the money, and finding a cinema that has a policy like no under-18s to late showings helps. One of the reasons I go to the "nice" screen near me is that, well, the extra cost keeps out the riff-raff.

Where I live the extra cost just means rich entitled douchebags.

Poors I don't mind (as I, yanno, am one), but you can only take so many soccer moms on ipads in a movie.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
The gently caress is "GM a/c putty"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Where I live the extra cost just means rich entitled douchebags.

Poors I don't mind (as I, yanno, am one), but you can only take so many soccer moms on ipads in a movie.
I'm thinking more "annoying teenagers who won't shut the gently caress up", especially any kind of action film or newly-released blockbuster.

The difference for my local cinema is going from 7 (regular screen on a discount day) to 14 (full price for really nice screen with its own lounge and a free popcorn and drink), so it's actually no worse than general pricing somewhere like the centre of London.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had a really long talk with the girlfriend last night, she would prefer I do not take ownership of Dad's Golf so Dad and I might go back to selling it. I haven't decided. She said is fine with an extra car but she would prefer I pick up something with a slushbox as she still isn't comfortable with a manual and can't do so well with them in stop and god traffic.
I figure between half of the Golf and flipping a finished Civic I might have about $5000 to play with so I might seriously look into that minivan or a wagon or something.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I don't know what modern minivans are like but in spite of being almost the perfect antithesis of AI my Previa was one of the best vehicles I ever owned.

I could fit 7 people inside (legally :ninja:), could fold the rear seats up and fit a full drum kit and 3 passengers, and despite stoned teenager tier deferred maintenance it never left me stranded and always started right up.

Vans are alright. If I were in the market for one today I'd probably end up with a Mazda5.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Thanks again for coming up, Commie, let's do it again next year. You make it up to Chattanooga alright? I'm uploading the raw footage to youtube, now.

Also! You totally missed it, about 8 last night, Helen PD had to shut down main street because a crowd had gathered at the bridge and was goading everyone into doing burnouts. Will Brown has the footage on his phone, I'll get it from him. In the meantime, the city put this together that I'm watching right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ4OjJUm0ks

e: never mind they have some of it too @7:15

I had a lot of fun! My only major disappointment was that its more of a ricer/tuner/stance thing than a car show. I will still probably go again next year.

I did make it to Chatt-town safely, followed the Ocoee river all the way, went through 3 different state parks. Beautiful drive.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 17, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I figure between half of the Golf and flipping a finished Civic I might have about $5000 to play with so I might seriously look into that minivan or a wagon or something.

So you have become a mom. :sigh:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Did the turbo 4 Dodge Caravan ever come with a stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Rhyno posted:

Had a really long talk with the girlfriend last night, she would prefer I do not take ownership of Dad's Golf so Dad and I might go back to selling it. I haven't decided. She said is fine with an extra car but she would prefer I pick up something with a slushbox as she still isn't comfortable with a manual and can't do so well with them in stop and god traffic.

If you sell the MS6 too you could get properly stupid :).

Actually, even without you could get something funny like a V70R :)

If you do get a van though I think an absolute requirement is getting the bumper sticker 'Minivans are proof that evil is real' ' Mini-Vans are tangible evidence of evil'.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 17, 2015

• Locked thread