Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

We can make cutscenes?!?!?!

:psyboom:

This looks amazing.

Anatharon posted:

-You will not be able to create levels that has both cutscene content and enemies, due to endless possibilities of game breaking bugs."

Those are both pretty disappointing things.

I gather the first is due to spritesheets but I'm not entirely sure why the second thing would be.

quote:

If you're making a stand alone level that is not part of a campaign you can also add a VHS cover for your level as well as enter the name of the level designer.

I imagine there's a distinction between "level" and "campaign"

A "level" cannot be both cutscene and have enemies. But you can make campaigns that fire off a cutscene and then a level. So that's fine?

So its probably just that their code falls apart if enemies have AI active during "cutscenes".
I mean all of the game's cutscenes have no enemies at all, right? Pretty sure...

So worst case you just have the same level twice and you have your cutscene in a level and then follow it up by the same level but now as the enemy version.

quote:

If your level is meant to be a part of a campaign, you can use the campaign editor to string together a bunch of levels with optional intros and outros, as well as add credits if you're a team of designers. Here you also have the option to add a VHS cover for a group of levels (intro, main level, and outro). The intros and outros are not required to be cutscenes, but are named after how the structure in the main campaign works

So you can have intro cutscene, level, outro cutscene, or you could have intro battle, battle, outro battle, or any combination therein. You just can't have a single level/intro/outro be simultaneously a cutscene and a fighting level.

quote:

-Adding custom graphics for player/enemy sprites is something we're looking into

:vince:

quote:

-You will not be able to use your own music for the levels, this would be too problematic due to the likeliness of copyright infringements, sorry. The music from the first game will likely not be available either due to the fact that we only licensed the songs for one game.

Super disappointing. There's no copyright issue if people are using their own music. You'd just have to make it so distributing levels didn't include the music, and you'd have to tell people "use your own copy of <x> or something similar". That should be legal?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Super disappointing. There's no copyright issue if people are using their own music. You'd just have to make it so distributing levels didn't include the music, and you'd have to tell people "use your own copy of <x> or something similar". That should be legal?

That's also a completely useless way to distribute levels that would result in 99.8% of players playing your level with no music, or with some default replacement.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Brosnan posted:

That's also a completely useless way to distribute levels that would result in 99.8% of players playing your level with no music, or with some default replacement.
Isn't the default replacement thing basically what we're left with now?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skyscraper posted:

Considering you can put in any song from the whole game, no, it's nothing like that at all.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

CJacobs posted:

Considering you can put in any song from the whole game, no, it's nothing like that at all.
I like the HLM2 soundtrack, but the playable level tracks got old in the time it took me to finish it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They can't legally allow people to put other music not licensed by them in the levels created and uploaded using their tools, so you're poo poo out of luck, hit up Pandora and play your own music :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Or just link the music replacer in the description and say "this level works okay with x default track but was made for Y - Z, go find a copy yourself and replace it with this"

e: Or poo poo just repack it yourself and put the replaced music on mega or mediafire.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Yes it is. "Default music" doesn't mean silence dummy, the "backup" music would be music from the HM2 soundtrack.

Like here's the two scenarios we're considering here:

A: Game plays the song intended unless you don't have it in which case it plays a song from the HM2 soundtrack
B: It plays a song from the HM2 soundtrack

Its literally the same thing with more options. I don't understand where you're coming up with this third scenario like

C: Game plays the song intended unless you don't have it in which case it plays ... the first song it finds on your computer? The first level of HM2 over and over?

As is though we can just play whatever music in the background and turn the in-game music down or whatever :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Its literally the same thing with more options. I don't understand where you're coming up with this third scenario like

C: Game plays the song intended unless you don't have it in which case it plays ... the first song it finds on your computer? The first level of HM2 over and over?

I have no idea what you are talking about, I didn't even begin to imply this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brosnan posted:

Skyscraper posted:

CJacobs posted:

How are they different? What does "default replacement" mean to you that isn't the system that already exists, picking a song from the HM2 soundtrack to be played?

All we were saying was have the option to pick a custom song if they have it, and if not fall back on an HM2 song. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How is it a default replacement if you have to select it from a list to be played? You have to pick a Hotline Miami 2 track even if you're going to do the hypothetical "play this song instead" thing.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I really dig that Barry avatar, CJacobs.

Also Cactus has been replying to the comments on the blog post, and someone suggests that since the L4D workshop is filled with copyrighted sound material then perhaps HLM2 would also be able to get away with it. Cactus replied:

Cactus posted:

That sounds strange. I have no idea how Steam handles copyright issues with mods/custom content, I just assumed it would be illegal and prohibited. I'm not sure who to consult on this, custom music would indeed be sweet.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
"Default replacement" means every time the game can't find the song (because you used custom music that wasn't with the download) it would play say, Technoir.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anatharon posted:

"Default replacement" means every time the game can't find the song (because you used custom music that wasn't with the download) it would play say, Technoir.Quixotic

Now it's a good feature.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

How is it a default replacement if you have to select it from a list to be played? You have to pick a Hotline Miami 2 track even if you're going to do the hypothetical "play this song instead" thing.

Default meaning it falls back to that if you don't have the other.

de·fault

1. a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer.

2. (of a computer program or other mechanism) revert automatically to a preselected option.

You're using definition 1, we're using definition 2. The word is used for both legally in English. Thanks for playing :eng101:

Anatharon posted:

"Default replacement" means every time the game can't find the song (because you used custom music that wasn't with the download) it would play say, Technoir.

You could easily have a system where it says "Play X by Y band, if you don't have that play Hotline Miami song Z"

Its not like Z would have to be the same across all levels.

We've analyzed this waaaaay too much.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I was listening a podcast about the Bible (The Bible Geek to be exact) and they were talking about the book of Revelations. They started talking about the Abyss which of course makes me think of the video game level of the same name because I am a giant dork. Anyway, I know there is some speculation about what the Abyss is and why it's called that and the Bible podcast reminded me of this: Revelations chapter 9 says this: "1 The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. 2 When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. 3 And out of the smoke locusts came down on the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. " Basically the Abyss was a dark place where an army of tormentors was waiting to be unleashed on the world.

Maybe that's where the level gets its name from?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The classic Nietzsche quote seems applicable

quote:

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

That bit about "becoming a monster" is extremely apt to Hotline Miami.
The achivement is even called "stare into the abyss" so its clearly referencing Nietzsche.

I think its a meta-commentary on fans who keep looking for more meaning in the game, more secrets.
You find the abyss, where the game looks back at you and questions what you've become.

The people in the Abyss say something like "This is where we go after dark; you're not supposed to be here". The way I interpret that is meta-commentary that the game is over, the characters are in the "darkness" between or outside of games, and you as the player are supposed to move on and do other things. Hanging around inside the game and wanting more is wrong; its already over. The nuke dropped, credits rolled.

Its like the end of Ferris Bueller if you stay past the credits. "Why are you still here? Go home."

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 13, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Anal Surgery posted:

I was listening a podcast about the Bible (The Bible Geek to be exact) and they were talking about the book of Revelations. They started talking about the Abyss which of course makes me think of the video game level of the same name because I am a giant dork. Anyway, I know there is some speculation about what the Abyss is and why it's called that and the Bible podcast reminded me of this: Revelations chapter 9 says this: "1 The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. 2 When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. 3 And out of the smoke locusts came down on the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. " Basically the Abyss was a dark place where an army of tormentors was waiting to be unleashed on the world.

Maybe that's where the level gets its name from?

Scorpions are very powerful so I think this holds up

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Kinda slightly bummed there's no Apocalypse mode, but then again, that in itself was way out of reach.

Still glad they're working on it, though!

Also, have some montage parody Hotline.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
On the topic of the level editor and mods, someone's working on a mod to let you play as the John Woo SWAT guy from Final Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OM1NrKv2F8

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Geight posted:

I really dig that Barry avatar, CJacobs.

Also Cactus has been replying to the comments on the blog post, and someone suggests that since the L4D workshop is filled with copyrighted sound material then perhaps HLM2 would also be able to get away with it. Cactus replied:

It is indeed violative of copyright and can get people sued.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Anatharon posted:

On the topic of the level editor and mods, someone's working on a mod to let you play as the John Woo SWAT guy from Final Cut.

He appears to be fighting Nazis.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

RZApublican posted:

He appears to be fighting Nazis.

not really? :confused: only thing they have in common from looks is that they wear black and they have some small degree of red on them on their red and yellow arm patches

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

not really? :confused: only thing they have in common from looks is that they wear black and they have some small degree of red on them on their red and yellow arm patches

Or they could be SWAT team guys, I guess. Still, all black from the top-down and with read arm bands looks like he might be redesigning the Russians to look more like Nazis once the mod is finished.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Discendo Vox posted:

Giving players the option to use whatever soundtrack they like is not by itself a copyright violation. I don't think anyone's suggesting they should package Nightcall with their demo maps, though.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It seems like it would just be easier to release the code at some point and let people make their own poo poo. They said they're not making any more Hotline Miami games anyways.

I remember before they updated it with the engine they used for the portable version somebody had actually used Game Maker to reverse-engineer the original Hotline Miami and do a bunch of bugfixes to it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

That's not how it works dude. Look at the Steam Workshop right now, then google any legal cases that came from it.

Sleeveless posted:

It seems like it would just be easier to release the code at some point and let people make their own poo poo. They said they're not making any more Hotline Miami games anyways.

I remember before they updated it with the engine they used for the portable version somebody had actually used Game Maker to reverse-engineer the original Hotline Miami and do a bunch of bugfixes to it.

There's an extremely crude fanmade Hotline Miami 1 level editor floating around too.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Anatharon posted:

That's not how it works dude. Look at the Steam Workshop right now, then google any legal cases that came from it.

Yeah that was more the point that commenter was making. Valve has more lawyers than any of us do and clearly they feel safe having the L4D workshop filled with copyrighted audio material.

Mostly I love that comment just for the fact that the whole decision is based off of Cactus just assuming there would be copyright troubles, but he never asked anyone or anything. :allears: I like his style.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Anatharon posted:

Interesting but the guns aren't functioning like his guns do. It's just using the base sniper rifle coding along with new sprites for using the knife. It's only graphical.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Skunkrocker posted:

Interesting but the guns aren't functioning like his guns do. It's just using the base sniper rifle coding along with new sprites for using the knife. It's only graphical.

I could be wrong but that's why I assume it's WIP instead of done.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I could be wrong but that's why I assume it's WIP instead of done.

I'm just saying, I have my doubts he can change the behavior of the guns since it seems to be a graphical hack of Soldier.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I went to a live of Carpenter Brut + Perturbator and they played all my favorite HM tracks

What Im trying to say is it was very cool

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ledgy posted:

I went to a live of Carpenter Brut + Perturbator and they played all my favorite HM tracks

I hate you.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ledgy posted:

How many people in letterman jackets and animal masks were there?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ledgy posted:

Where the gently caress did they play. I mean, putting those two together? poo poo, you lucked.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Sleeveless posted:

How many people in letterman jackets and animal masks were there?

I would've dressed like that if I received the Jacket in time (gently caress Insertcoin for delaying the drat thing :argh:)

widespread posted:

Where the gently caress did they play. I mean, putting those two together? poo poo, you lucked.

That's the kicker: they basically played in the middle of nowhere, in a little French town (Niort). I'm pretty sure it's the only place they'll be together for quite some time.

Das Mörtal was also there (he was really great), and Christine too (even if I bailed before because gently caress it was late)

Skunk, this is for you: Carpenter Brut's live was played with a real guitar and a real set of drums, and it sounded awesome :)

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 17, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ledgy posted:

Skunk, this is for you: Carpenter Brut's live was played with a real guitar and a real set of drums, and it sounded awesome :)

Ledgy we're not friends anymore.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I'm getting round to finishing this off and I can deal with the long corridors, seas of windows and almost pitch black nightclubs but the length of some of the levels is ridiculous. Would splitting up the chapters really be such an issue?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kind of want to play thru 1 a bit to see how many chapters in you need to go to get an equal number of kills to dead ahead (it's 90 guys)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skyscraper posted:

Giving players the option to use whatever soundtrack they like is not by itself a copyright violation. I don't think anyone's suggesting they should package Nightcall with their demo maps, though.

That is what some people are talking about- and it is violative of DMCA.

Anatharon posted:

Valve are able to operate in the DMCA safe harbor provision, a process that involves monitoring and operating a complaint and content flagging system, and which lets them distinguish themselves from, for example, the Pirate Bay (Youtube and google are both good examples of the safe harbor in compliant action, and their scale is an indicator of what it takes- and both of them are still getting sued for incomplete compliance all the time). Dennaton/Devolver could theoretically run a similar system, but it would be prohibitively expensive, particularly with the third party distribution agreement they'd have to set up with Valve (:ssh: they know all about this, but they're pretending to be ignorant- it's a card they play often on IP issues).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 17, 2015

• Locked thread