Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

nutranurse posted:

booooooooooooj

i'm bougie af and have never concealed this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
the 90s were real weird w/r/t race

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

nutranurse posted:

cops parading around openly on the 4th of july's a bit far tho, wouldnt you agree

It's been a 'thing' for over a hundred years in the US, so not really. Is it horrific? Sure. But it's not shocking in the least.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sinnlos posted:

25. And yes, this is a thing that happened in my corner of Michigan.

So you were like 5 years old during the heyday of the militia movement

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nutranurse posted:

i'd never get wine at a bar tho. that's a line i wont cross.

the most i'm willing to do would be a hard cider.

Badger of Basra posted:

do they even have wine at regular bars

that's something i never considered before

If you are ever in France, go to a bar with some friends, and order a bottle. That's how they do it there. Good. loving. Wine., too.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sinnlos posted:

I opened a handle of whiskey this morning and now it is empty.

its weird being a teetotaler around here.

I think our Rite Aids probably have the best booze stocks of any Rite Aids in the country

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ThirdPartyView posted:

It's been a 'thing' for over a hundred years in the US, so not really. Is it horrific? Sure. But it's not shocking in the least.

:shrug: the KKK's been going on for a while, i get that, but i still would find it terrifyingly assbackwards and shocking to see them parade around in full regalia on the 4th of july in (what i'm assuming based on our similar ages) the 90s

but i also come from Civilized America so take that fwiw

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you are ever in France, go to a bar with some friends, and order a bottle. That's how they do it there. Good. loving. Wine., too.

that sounds hellishly expensive though, or is it cheaper in france or something

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nutranurse posted:

:shrug: the KKK's been going on for a while, i get that, but i still would find it terrifyingly assbackwards and shocking to see them parade around in full regalia on the 4th of july

but i also come from Civilized America so take that fwiw

Funnily enough the nearest KKK chapter I'm aware of is in a town which went from being whitebread in 1990 to majority minority in 2010. AZN Invasion :getin:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

nutranurse posted:

didn't you holiday there

did you seriously holiday in france and not drink the wine that's like half the reason we keep them around these days

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

nutranurse posted:

french wine is expensive as gently caress in the us

but a 4 euro bottle in france can be decent

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

didn't you holiday there

did you seriously holiday in france and not drink the wine that's like half the reason we keep them around these days

i was (american) underaged (14, 15, 16, 17), but i did drink a little but it was all on my family's dime

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Funnily enough the nearest KKK chapter I'm aware of is in a town which went from being whitebread in 1990 to majority minority in 2010. AZN Invasion :getin:

your people are doing god's work :911:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

and when you consider that a beer in paris could easily be well over five euros...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
you learn to drink wine very quickly in france, since their beer is shite and the wine is so good

unless you're in certain areas, like, i don't think i drank anything but cider and calvados in Normandie

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

nutranurse posted:

i was (american) underaged (14, 15, 16, 17), but i did drink a little but it was all on my family's dime

thankfully all of my other travelling has been done to cooler parts of the world when i was of-age to be by myself to some extent

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

bourgeouise friend of mine studied abroad in argentina back in college, spent the whole time super blitzed, claimed this was because wine was a cheaper and more efficient source of sustenance than the food there

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nutranurse posted:

Cheaper. And sooo goood.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
in st. petersburg cirka 2007 a bottle of vodka cost about as much as a bottle of milk

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

im editing a video a friend of mine is going to use to propose to his girlfriend atm. guess where he'll be popping the question.

none other than the land of romance,

america

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

im editing a video a friend of mine is going to use to propose to his girlfriend atm. guess where he'll be popping the question.

america

Sever.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

R. Mute posted:

america

what is this thing where people are getting married again i thought that died out in the eighties

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

R. Mute posted:

america

better that than paris

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Sinnlos posted:

Its not. I'm very, very glad we moved from there. Imagine an environment where you ask your parents why the police are dressed up as ghosts on the 4th of July,

Jesus it still always freaks me out that that part of the country seems to somehow manage to be even more racist than the south. I guess it's the not actually having nearly as many black people there (because they lynched the ones that showed up) that does it...

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

It better be in bumfuck Nebraska.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

I do think I overestimate how racist the north is sometimes though because the people who have chosen to move down here are kinda self-selecting. Doesn't change that I hear way more racist poo poo from northern transplants than people who grew up here despite living in loving Appalachia

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

ThirdPartyView posted:

northern alaska would be even better

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

what is this thing where people are getting married again i thought that died out in the eighties
a lot of my friends are v. burgerlijk which is like bougie but even duller

ThirdPartyView posted:

they're doing the cali-vegas-grand canyon-some parks thing so it'll probably be there somewhere. probably not vegas proper because tsk

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

LorrdErnie posted:

Jesus it still always freaks me out that that part of the country seems to somehow manage to be even more racist than the south. I guess it's the not actually having nearly as many black people there (because they lynched the ones that showed up) that does it...

Oh no. We had plenty of black people, we just kept them all in a different town on the other side of the river.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

a lot of my friends are v. burgerlijk which is like bougie but even duller

they're doing the cali-vegas-grand canyon-some parks thing so it'll probably be there somewhere. probably not vegas proper because tsk

Get married by an Elvis impersonator or :frogout:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

watching manchildren throw a fit because pitch perfect is making more money than mad max is hilarious

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Sinnlos posted:

Oh no. We had plenty of black people, we just kept them all in a different town on the other side of the river.

yikes

in the city I live in through clever usage of hills and routing of main streets the city hides all the low income housing where you'll never see it

Also the city itself is like 88% white or something like that but the richest suburb is like 99.7% white and I think .1% of the rest is literally one Asian guy and his family.

Edit: as in a 3rd of the remaining bit that is

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ThirdPartyView posted:

the western half of nebraska is a fate worse than death

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

watching manchildren throw a fit because pitch perfect is making more money than mad max is hilarious

women and girls consume media? impossible

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

anyone who went to see a film that isn't fury road this opening weekend is a loving fool though for real

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I grew up in Syracuse and the north is a desolate shithole of racism but the south is still worse, as someone currently living in the south,

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
jesusthread still poen mods pls correct this oversight

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

pitch perfect is also fun and a decent movie, but for entirely different reasons than mad max

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

R. Mute posted:

america

He's making a proposal video?

Is it as terrible as it sounds?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Disinterested posted:

french wine is expensive as gently caress in the us

but a 4 euro bottle in france can be decent

There's decent $10 French wines here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

I grew up in Syracuse and the north is a desolate shithole of racism but the south is still worse, as someone currently living in the south,

Where in the south if you don't mind saying? I remember it definitely being shockingly worse when I visited Alabama

• Locked thread