Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rodyle posted:

Those scenes don't correspond with one another and the one in UBW isn't even finished.

Splitting the scene across two episodes is also a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fangz posted:

The point is that having literal magic not exist is a decision they made, to force Kiritsugu into that crisis, and he was ultimately able to accept that instead of carry on trying to find new, better magic.
Are... are you serious? Yes, it's a decision they made, because otherwise it would have been an rear end-pull. Again, Kiritsugu's philosophy and ideology could never bring about world peace in the real world (or even come close to it). His entire methodology doesn't work and only creates more problems. Rewarding that behavior with world peace would quite literally be hilariously bad.

The reason the Holy Grail works the way it does is essentially because that's how real life works.

EDIT:
Fundamentally, the purpose of a story is to say something about the real world. The other option you're bringing up wouldn't say something about the world, so it would be a failure as a story.

EDIT EDIT:
Man, maybe if we change the story to be about something else entirely you could change how the hell the Holy Grail works but that's really, really missing the point.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 17, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

also its impossible for me to take kiritsugu seriously at all as a character because every single part of his motivation, backstory, and character development is just a string of dead women

its the most laughable poo poo

Wait, his dad, Kayneth, and Lancer are actually women!?! :aaaaa:

Seriously, you're reading in some bullshit where there ain't any.

Fangz posted:

I think we are getting way too hung up on this minor point, when all I wanted to say was that that scene in F/Z was an effective turning point for Kiritsugu's character, whereas I think the corresponding scene in FSN lacks impact because it's just a character saying a bunch of things, and Shirou merely powers through.

What do you mean by powering through?

I think I understand it, and your concerns would have been alleviated if this adaptation were better at presenting the narrative points:

Endorph posted:

- shirou, after having a good time at the batting cage

granted the anime hasn't expressed this that clearly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Seriously, you're reading in some bullshit where there ain't any
dude you can mention women without it being a sexism thing

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ViggyNash posted:

Shirley, Natalia, Maiya, Iri...

Dunno, it's not that bullshit when it's true.

Anyways, we got what, 5, 6 eps left of this season? Hope there's some more good anime original content, I like that stuff.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, the anime-original stuff has all been pretty solid throughout the entire show so far, from the Rin / Ilya fight to Archer traveling all over time and over a bunch of different places to kill folks. I wonder if Nasu is behind all of that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wait, Archer is... him? He is archer? Or will be in the future? Gods, I'm such a retard and was wrong right up until they said it. Even after last episode. :negative:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Poil posted:

He is archer? Or will be in the future?

He won't, at least not necessarily. The Throne of Heroes, where all Heroic Spirits reside, has a fun property of being completely and absolutely separated from the real world and the flow of time. Once you've become a HS, you've always been a Hs, and you'll remain one for eternity- someone could theoretically go back in time and prevent you from being born, but if you became a Heroic Spirit in your own timeframe that would have exactly zero effect on you.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fangz posted:

Crazy eyes only gets you so far. Wanting to jump in to save a little girl is literally the most generic shonen protagonist thing. Rin's the character who is unusual here.

Again I'm talking entirely about the anime.

Usually those shonen characters aren't as powerless as Shirou. Fate does seem to imply every once in a while that doing the things you see Heroes do in manga will just get your killed and that's however everyone who isn't Shirou acts.

Fangz posted:

I'm saying the motivations for those actions are meaningless (or at least, lack weight) if they don't show us them through his actions.

The point is that having literal magic not exist is a decision they made, to force Kiritsugu into that crisis, and he was ultimately able to accept that instead of carry on trying to find new, better magic.

I think we are getting way too hung up on this minor point, when all I wanted to say was that that scene in F/Z was an effective turning point for Kiritsugu's character, whereas I think the corresponding scene in FSN lacks impact because it's just a character saying a bunch of things, and Shirou merely powers through.

UBW is *not* the narrative to look at when comparing to F/Z, that's Heaven's Feel.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 17, 2015

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Archer is just Shirou from an alternate timeline where he made that contract with the World and ended up gaining super powers in exchange for being a Counter Guardian. Type-Moon's universe allows for many different timelines that are all parallel to each other. As someone who made a contract with the World, the Shirou that became Archer is removed from the regular universe and placed in the Throne of Heroes, which as Aumanor said, exists completely outside the normal universe. The individuals who are in the Throne can be brought into the regular world by summoning magic, i.e. the Holy Grail War, but only for the duration of the current one (ideally, but as Gilgamesh proved, there are ways you can cheat that as a Servant).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ViggyNash posted:

Wait, his dad, Kayneth, and Lancer are actually women!?! :aaaaa:

Kayneth and Lancer have nothing to do with his motivation, backstory, and character development. They're just bumps on the road. His dad, yes, but that's because he turned Shirley into a vampire.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Poil posted:

Wait, Archer is... him? He is archer? Or will be in the future? Gods, I'm such a retard and was wrong right up until they said it. Even after last episode. :negative:

So what did you think he was after last episode? I'm curious now.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Clarste posted:

It also took me until Archer walking down the stair in the VN to figure it out. I thought he was some Chinese hero based on his weapon of choice: Kanshou and Bakuya. :v:

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 17, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I know a lot of people thought Archer was Robin Hood.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aumanor posted:

He won't, at least not necessarily. The Throne of Heroes, where all Heroic Spirits reside, has a fun property of being completely and absolutely separated from the real world and the flow of time. Once you've become a HS, you've always been a Hs, and you'll remain one for eternity- someone could theoretically go back in time and prevent you from being born, but if you became a Heroic Spirit in your own timeframe that would have exactly zero effect on you.
Neat. But what happens if he becomes a HS again? Nothing, because it has already happened with his HS self? I assume there won't suddenly be two HS him.

Clarste posted:

His adoptive dad. I know, I know. It makes no sense now at all. But it wasn't until last episode I even realized that he and Archer had some form of connection. Didn't have a clue before that. :saddowns:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Yeah, I didn't really fully make the connection until the UBW movie. My big barrier was mainly appearance.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I think that got posted in the original Deen FSN thread which is where it was spoiled for me, way back when.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I think that got posted in the original Deen FSN thread which is where it was spoiled for me, way back when.

Man, fully gray by 28? Things don't look good for Shirou's hair.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Fiend Computer posted:

But man, his tan.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fiend Computer posted:

Being a hero is a stressful line of work you know.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Fiend Computer posted:

And he finally got taller, just like Shirou always wanted. :allears:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Fiend Computer posted:

I believe the official explanation is magic.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Clarste posted:

Actually, now that I look at it, it looks like his hair line is receding too. So over using magic is like over using hair care products? I can buy it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

I thought he was Jesus for a while, which made all his speeches insanely funny

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Fiend Computer posted:

Stress can do that to you.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Clarste posted:

His tan is definitely because of the overuse and burning out of his Magic Circuits trying to master Unlimited Blade Works over 20 years. I believe the hair is a similar story.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Wow he turns into young Kotomine Kirei

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

TheKnife posted:

Wow he turns into young Kotomine Kirei

Plot twist~~~

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Decent ep. I'm glad the creepy Shinji scene was at least short.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Poil posted:

Neat. But what happens if he becomes a HS again? Nothing, because it has already happened with his HS self? I assume there won't suddenly be two HS him.

His adoptive dad. I know, I know. It makes no sense now at all. But it wasn't until last episode I even realized that he and Archer had some form of connection. Didn't have a clue before that. :saddowns:

I'm trying to interpret the events of UBW had Archer actually been Kiritsugu (assuming you ignore the direct links like the pendant), and it is all kinds of hosed up.

Fiend Computer posted:

Actually, now that I look at it, it looks like his hair line is receding too. So over using magic is like over using hair care products? I can buy it.

He combs his hair back? I mean, it isn't like Aizen's hairline receded. :unsmigghh:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Endorph posted:

I mean it makes a lot of sense. My favorite guess, as was brought up last thread, "Some Japanese hero that no one else has ever heard of."

Now you're all in on the joke.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Kayneth and Lancer have nothing to do with his motivation, backstory, and character development. They're just bumps on the road. His dad, yes, but that's because he turned Shirley into a vampire.

AHAHAHAHA-

Wait, are you saying that seriously? Because his killing his dad and the Kayneth/Lancer/Sola combo-murder are two of the most pivotal moments in Kiritsugu's character development.

Endorph posted:

dude you can mention women without it being a sexism thing

Please do show me where I mentioned sexism in my post and then maybe we'll get somewhere.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Once again, Lancer dies in the most bullshit way possible and Kirei forces his servant to get killed on purpose. Never change, Holy Grail War.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Lancers are proof that luck isn't a dump stat.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ViggyNash posted:

AHAHAHAHA-

Wait, are you saying that seriously? Because his killing his dad and the Kayneth/Lancer/Sola combo-murder are two of the most pivotal moments in Kiritsugu's character development.

Reread the quote; they just said that yeah, killing his dad was important to his development, but dude, he had Maiya cap Kayneth and Sola-Ui like a stone cold motherfucker, it was more of a sign of how deep he was in his "Do what I gotta do" mindset.

More pivotal is when he has to shoot down the plane that had Natalia which made him the person he was at the beginning of F/Z and when he realizes the Grail's evil and the futility of his actions up until then.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ViggyNash posted:

AHAHAHAHA-

Please do show me where I mentioned sexism in my post and then maybe we'll get somewhere.

I'll give you killing his dad, but the killing of the Lancer team was character exposition rather than character development.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I'll give you killing his dad, but the killing of the Lancer team was character exposition rather than character development.

Eeeehh, I guess? I felt that whole scene existed to distinctly separate his and Saber's brands of idealism, since they're both technically looking for the same thing.

Compendium posted:

Reread the quote; they just said that yeah, killing his dad was important to his development, but dude, he had Maiya cap Kayneth and Sola-Ui like a stone cold motherfucker, it was more of a sign of how deep he was in his "Do what I gotta do" mindset.

More pivotal is when he has to shoot down the plane that had Natalia which made him the person he was at the beginning of F/Z and when he realizes the Grail's evil and the futility of his actions up until then.

His killing Natalia was very much Stage 2 to his killing his dad. I'd argue that his killing his dad is actuallythe most pivotal moment in his development, since his killing Natalia was an example of how deeply ingrained his mindset is, no different from his killing Kayneth and co. by your argument.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The difference being he broke down gloriously for Natalia. Team Lancer, ehhhhh, screw you Saber.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the people whose deaths (that he caused one way or another) affected Kerry's character and mindset directly were people he cared about and that Team Lancer's death was a way for him and Saber to clash and to really question said character and methods. Their end was a means to reinforce who he was and what he would do at that present time.

That said, I will back off on the F/Z talk or this thread won't survive until the finale.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 18, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nitpicking that Kiritsugu also killed a couple of men and that someone's earlier statement about the hilarious Pathos Parade of Dead Ladies was an exaggeration doesn't really hide the fact that Urobuchi decided to give him a Pathos Parade of Dead Ladies to begin with.

Hell, just reading Maiya's backstory can nick you, that's how edgy it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fate Zero was written by Maximum Depression Urobuchi and it shows. The anime cuts are telling in that they're all points where clearly he went "okay yeah, too much."

• Locked thread