Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
It sort of looks like a hat. Did someone at Carbine promise to eat their hat if the game went F2P, or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
As someone who raided hardcore from vanilla to wrath and then highmaul and played a lot of focus testing stuff in the raids in beta of wildstar, wildstar is for the mmo equivalent of the socio-economic concept of the temporarily embarassed millionaire.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Byolante posted:

As someone who raided hardcore from vanilla to wrath and then highmaul and played a lot of focus testing stuff in the raids in beta of wildstar, wildstar is for the mmo equivalent of the socio-economic concept of the temporarily embarassed millionaire.

How do people make posts like these and think they're cool

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Itzena posted:

It sort of looks like a hat. Did someone at Carbine promise to eat their hat if the game went F2P, or similar?

My first thought was "Is that a fedora cake?"

ArtIsResistance posted:

Hey, we're very accepting of shitposting of all stripes in this thread. We aren't like wildstar's program of genetic purity of the raiding elite, all are welcome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

30.5 Days posted:

That reminds me, wildstar turns 1 in 3 weeks.

Someone hurry up and smother this thing with a pillow before it gets out of the crib.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

My first thought was "Is that a fedora cake?"

Hey, we're very accepting of shitposting of all stripes in this thread. We aren't like wildstar's program of genetic purity of the raiding elite, all are welcome.

fedora...

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

ArtIsResistance posted:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Puistokemisti posted:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This Thread is truly...Something Awful

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

How do people make threads like these and think they're cool

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002

sword_man.gif posted:

huppy burfsarry

I would eat the hell out of this cake. Stomachs don't care....

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Gaybee posted:

I would eat the hell out of this cake. Stomachs don't care....

Given how the devs feel about game design, it's probably filled with glass and battery acid.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Given how the devs feel about game design, it's probably filled with glass and battery acid.

But only for about six months, then they'll make one that's actually made out of cake, then they'll publicly mock you for eating it instead of the first one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I thought it was more like the interior of the cake is actually empty space, they're still baking it and will sneak it in with a future patch. In the mean time the exterior of the cake is rock hard and electrified and will instantly kill you if you try to cut a slice.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I thought it was more like the interior of the cake is actually empty space, they're still baking it and will sneak it in with a future patch. In the mean time the exterior of the cake is rock hard and electrified and will instantly kill you if you try to cut a slice.

If you get a diamond saw and use it to cut into the hollow part a gif pops out making fun of you for cheating.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Hardcore warplots!

Is that where instead of the loser losing their warplot both participants lose their warplot?

How do people make threads like these and think they're cool

Uh this thread is actually very cool?

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 16, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

According to her reddit posts, she's moved to Tera.

For a moment I thought you meant Cyster and thought "Oh, that's nice!".

The Moon Monster posted:

Uh this thread is actually very cool?

It's had its down spots but it certainly has had it's moments.

Speaking of WildStar being bad, I remember someone mentioning but not elaborating that there was a critical flaw with the flight path system. What was up with that?

Which was a big problem because everyone apparently walks really slowly and needs to use their limited sprint meter to get anywhere. :v:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Anatharon posted:

For a moment I thought you meant Cyster and thought "Oh, that's nice!".

It's had its down spots but it certainly has had it's moments.

Speaking of WildStar being bad, I remember someone mentioning but not elaborating that there was a critical flaw with the flight path system. What was up with that?

Which was a big problem because everyone apparently walks really slowly and needs to use their limited sprint meter to get anywhere. :v:

also mounts had a sprint so you had to constantly press that key to get decent speed

Selane
May 19, 2006

Anatharon posted:

The main reason I stopped playing Wildstar during the beta was because I got tired of my hand cramping from having to keep Shift depressed near-constantly(and no you couldn't rebind it).

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
if you were an explorer you could see invisible flags that gave you 500% runspeed. if you were not an explorer you should get hosed for not doing your research, idiot.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
http://www.pcgamer.com/wildstar-could-be-coming-to-steam-as-a-free-to-play-game/

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Anoia posted:

also mounts had a sprint so you had to constantly press that key to get decent speed

i know that this is true but it's still hard to believe that you're not joking

why would anyone think that this was a good idea

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

RottenK posted:

hardcore

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Anoia posted:

Please ask your friend what she finds enjoyable about this game cause I just don't understand.

She likes the raiding and thw attunement process but then aaks questions like she wishes that more people were playing.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ArtIsResistance posted:

I know you just want to troll but I will answer honestly. I'm not cool, I am a stinky mmo playing nerd. I was just pointing out that this game was for the total biscuits of the world who never were good enough to complete the content while it was excluding 'the bads' but then complained when they made a training wheels version so everyone could have a go.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
I think you are cool, friend. :hfive:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Byolante posted:

I know you just want to troll but I will answer honestly. I'm not cool, I am a stinky mmo playing nerd. I was just pointing out that this game was for the total biscuits of the world who never were good enough to complete the content while it was excluding 'the bads' but then complained when they made a training wheels version so everyone could have a go.

Challenge is a permiable membrane which is discarded with maturity.

40 man raids are the hymen of f2p MMOs.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Byolante posted:

Oh, whoops

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RottenK posted:

Wildstar: Why would anyone think that this was a good idea

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RottenK posted:

Because like everything Wildstar related Carbine had a good idea and then buried it under a landslide of poo poo. The idea of having a Sprint gauge to be used as a resource isn't a bad one in an MMO that puts a lot of emphasis on action combat and movement, the idea that you have a limited sprint which can be used to avoid attacks or get into position isn't a bad one. The problem is that with movement speed as low as it was the only way to move around quickly was to sprint and the only way to sprint for long periods of time was to continuously switch it on and off and the only way to do that is to give yourself a repetitive motion injury.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't understand why so many games place pleasant/fast out-of-combat travel at such a loving premium. Oh here's a horse that you can buy that runs 15% faster than walking nice.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Oh that reminds me: the flight paths were taxis with robo cabbies that would say various bits of small talk that were pretty cute and made the trip a little more fun.

They accidentally made it so everyone in the area the cab passed over could hear the sound bytes too. They stopped being cute after you heard the same joke a thousand times while questing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't understand why so many games place pleasant/fast out-of-combat travel at such a loving premium. Oh here's a horse that you can buy that runs 15% faster than walking nice.

I remember conversations between vanilla WoW players and their CoX counterparts, neither quite able to grasp the other's movement options.

"You have to spend a ton of money at level 40 to go half-again as fast."
"You get to fly at level fourteen?"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Time spent running is time the developers don't have to fill with content.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
If you want a laugh check out any website that documents all the unique outfits in the game. Then compare the number of outfits available to other games.

That cake is empty joke up above really is spot on. There's like maybe a tenth of what any other MMO offers. They couldn't even get the pretty princessing customization poo poo that every MMO figured out brings people in right!

Edit: I mean poo poo. Even WoW and EQ got that people like to customize their characters. That's just downright shameful.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 17, 2015

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Archonex posted:

Edit: I mean poo poo. Even WoW and EQ got that people like to customize their characters. That's just downright shameful.

Vanilla EQ had like two armor meshes for Ogres. Easily the best race in that game.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Time spent running is time the developers don't have to fill with content.
Yep.

So many lovely MMO mechanics (slow travel times, random drop loot, etc) make perfect sense once you realize that the actual design goal is to make people waste as much time as possible so they stay subscribed longer.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
if Carbine wasn't imploding (or if lovely management wasn't _the_ problem), they could probably salvage something from this. After all, I remember City of Heroes being a loving buggy mess the first year or so and that managed to last quite a bit in the end.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Yeah but what else was there when CoH was struggling? Part of the pressure of launching MMOs now is that there are so many other ones with just as much hype as yours, so if you can't deliver on your hype people are going to drop it for the next hype machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Deki posted:

if Carbine wasn't imploding (or if lovely management wasn't _the_ problem), they could probably salvage something from this. After all, I remember City of Heroes being a loving buggy mess the first year or so and that managed to last quite a bit in the end.

City of Heroes was more than just a loving buggy mess at first. It was pretty godawful in multiple ways. It's the only game that i've given away to a family member since I was sure it would always being so loving unfun.

Of course then they turned that poo poo right around and it became awesome again. So I guess the lesson here is to never try to recoup my losses when it comes to MMO purchases. Or to pawn my Wildstar account off to a friend and watch as the game suddenly dethrones WoW from out of nowhere. :v:

I'd say that Star Trek Online was a good comparison of a game that turned itself around in the modern day MMO market. But the newest lead dev tanked that game all over again. So I don't know if the analogy even works anymore.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 17, 2015

• Locked thread