Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!

Orv posted:

It's funny, the only armor that's particularly egregious in the fantasy department (that I've seen) is the starting armor, with its bizarre chain spaulders.

I rather like the look of it :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Antti posted:

My final W2 save game thumbnail looks like this, am I good to go? (Iorveth path)

I also have one that judging by the thumbnail is right before the Letho fight so I can go get a new one if I have to, but I'd have to download the game all over again.

Yes, it should be an Autosave.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Archimago posted:

Yes, it should be an Autosave.

Yes, so it is! Thanks for the confirmation. I figured the lack of Geralt in the thumbnail was an indicator.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Antti posted:

Yes, so it is! Thanks for the confirmation. I figured the lack of Geralt in the thumbnail was an indicator.

No problem.

In other news, I just learned I have somewhere to be tomorrow at 7PM EST, fortuna hates me. I'll have to wait until like 8-8:30 to play it. WOE IS ME.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hallowed posted:

I rather like the look of it :/

I didn't mean it looks bad! Just from a reality standpoint vis a vis armor vaguely of the period, it's a bit odd.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
I keep reading all these people complaining that only the tops of the trees sway in the wind....

Walk outside. Experience the world. That's how trees sway. If the trunks were so supple that they swayed in the breeze they wouldn't have the rigidity to hold the drat thing up. To be honest, when I first say the trees swaying in the wind I thought it was amazing. And it still looks amazing.

But it'll probably end up like most open world games I play. I'll stumble around for about 50 hours then get bored and finish the plot line in 6 hours.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

hopterque posted:

How dare you, dice poker was great.

Now let me just throw these dice across the room accidentally.

It's pretty great if you love save scumming, gingerly touching the analog stick and still losing all your money. :v: To this day I still don't understand what makes the difference when I win or lose (granted I don't play regular poker either).

I hated the arm wrestling more, just because it was such a pain to do on a controller. I'm surprised I didn't snap the sticks right off the thing during some of those matches.

Slate Action posted:

Yeah, in an RPG when I get a quest reward that's inferior to what I have or that I can't use, I just think 'cool, some extra cash.' It's only a problem when the quests are boring and you lose all motivation to do them. That doesn't sound like it's the case here.

This was always great since I never wanted to sell off monster parts until chapter 3 and by extension was constantly dirt poor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone know how much of 3 will be monster hunting? Will it be a side thing of a fundamental and necessary part of the game?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don't know what trees look like because they all got destroyed by snow storms this past winter.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anyone know how much of 3 will be monster hunting? Will it be a side thing of a fundamental and necessary part of the game?

It's a good chunk of the side activities; caves, ruins and such usually have a monster nest to destroy. There are at least a few contracts on larger scale monsters, the initial griffon and another giant bird hybrid of some sort I've forgotten the name of. It's a way larger part of the game his time, along with the return to a serious need for preparation for the bigger ones.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

It's pretty great if you love save scumming, gingerly touching the analog stick and still losing all your money. :v: To this day I still don't understand what makes the difference when I win or lose (granted I don't play regular poker either).

I hated the arm wrestling more, just because it was such a pain to do on a controller. I'm surprised I didn't snap the sticks right off the thing during some of those matches.

Dice poker was something Witcher 1 did a ton better than Witcher 2. It told you what you and your opponent got each round so you didn't have to look yourself. The trick to dice poker is always aim for 3 of a kind. Got two pairs? That's garbage. Keep the highest pair and re-roll the three others. Never go for the full house, it is a trap.

Also yeah, arm wrestling was the reason I stayed with keyboard and mouse. Trivialized everything but Numa.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VDay posted:

Not story differences but stuff like more monsters to kill during a sidequest or slightly different objectives on harder difficulties, etc.

You win less xp in harder difficulties and don't regain health when meditating.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

You win less xp in harder difficulties and don't regain health when meditating.

Given how all the reviews are saying Geralt becomes too overpowered easily, and presuming they are playing on standard difficulties, I'll be cranking the difficulty all the way up for this reason alone.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
Just about to beat TW2, and I had forgotten how much Act 3 feels like they went...poo poo. Out of time, here have a tiny area with an hour or two of content, to end the game.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

BrassRoots posted:

I keep reading all these people complaining that only the tops of the trees sway in the wind....

Walk outside. Experience the world. That's how trees sway. If the trunks were so supple that they swayed in the breeze they wouldn't have the rigidity to hold the drat thing up. To be honest, when I first say the trees swaying in the wind I thought it was amazing. And it still looks amazing.

But it'll probably end up like most open world games I play. I'll stumble around for about 50 hours then get bored and finish the plot line in 6 hours.

Asking goons to go outside and experience nature and weather in action is a pretty tall order.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Joink posted:

Wheres the cheapest place to order this game?

I got my gog key for 20 bucks off eBay but that was about a month ago. Most keys were selling for around 25 back then.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I´m glad to note that the so far the inventory seems way more pc friendly than on witcher 2

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pigbottom posted:

I´m glad to note that the so far the inventory seems way more pc friendly than on witcher 2
I played 2 on both the PC and 360 and I didn't think the inventory system was friendly to either one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
gently caress my poo poo, shitfucker, I'm like 15 feet away from people and they STILL manage to hit me with their swords. Motherfuckers.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shakugan posted:

Given how all the reviews are saying Geralt becomes too overpowered easily, and presuming they are playing on standard difficulties, I'll be cranking the difficulty all the way up for this reason alone.

Yeah I think one review said you should probably play one difficulty higher than you intended to.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah I think one review said you should probably play one difficulty higher than you intended to.

There's nothing above Death March. :smith:

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
You don't think the overpowered problem isn't because the monsters don't scale?

I'll probably do my first run on normal because I'm a filthy casual but I think you might have the same problem at all difficulties. Once you are at the halfway point of your power curve then half (???) the mobs in the game will be too easy right?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

BrassRoots posted:

You don't think the overpowered problem isn't because the monsters don't scale?

I'll probably do my first run on normal because I'm a filthy casual but I think you might have the same problem at all difficulties. Once you are at the halfway point of your power curve then half (???) the mobs in the game will be too easy right?

The key is to balance autistic sidequesting with mainquesting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Archimago posted:

Ideally RPGs give you some indication of when you are strong enough to do the next main quest. Does that happen here?

edit: people probably disagree but I think it should be money, like buying the emblems and stuff in Souls games (though it doesn't need to be that obvious).

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 17, 2015

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Replaying Witcher 2...what sort of sick bastard would kill the trolls? They are the biggest bros.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Archimago posted:

Good luck with that.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Just realized Iorveth's path is the best one because it has the best line in Witcher 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdhU2n8dyiE

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Okay, so I just finished both chapter 2s. drat, I'm not sure which one I want to make my transfer game.

Roche's path is obviously much more story-related, but Iorveth's path is so much more of a 'make the world a better place with the power of equality and teamwork' type of branch. :ohdear: drat. I don't know.

Also, in Roche's path, Ves tells her story about the king and Dethmold, and Geralt tells Roche that he doesn't trust her. What is that about?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Drifter posted:

Also, in Roche's path, Ves tells her story about the king and Dethmold, and Geralt tells Roche that he doesn't trust her. What is that about?

Iirc Geralt thought it was strange Ves wasn't harmed at all but it turns out she was just not telling the whole story because she got raped.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Started playing Witcher 2 for the first time recently to prepare for this game. Liking it so far!

Also, I made a tarot card for the King of the Wild Hunt, based on the Death card from the traditional Rider deck.

My gf came up with the idea, and I loved it. Took about a week and a half to finish, all done in paint.net (and then imported to photoshop CS2 for the color halftone printing effect).

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

How does importing a finished W2 save work? I'm that idiot that made 1M saves when I played through, there are two finished playthroughs in there somewhere but I'd be hard pressed to figure out which saves those are.

Also in Act 2 Roche I turned a corner in the winding rock bit and a troll just threw a rock at me and started attacking me. I had to kill him, and I still feel bad about it. Was there a way to make friends with him?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Archimago posted:

Apparently, you'll quickly find yourself overleveled even if you only do a few sidequests. At least the writing should be good enough to finish them anyway.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

black.lion posted:

How does importing a finished W2 save work? I'm that idiot that made 1M saves when I played through, there are two finished playthroughs in there somewhere but I'd be hard pressed to figure out which saves those are.

Also in Act 2 Roche I turned a corner in the winding rock bit and a troll just threw a rock at me and started attacking me. I had to kill him, and I still feel bad about it. Was there a way to make friends with him?

There should be. I just did a roche run and didn't kill a single troll. Was it fighting a couple of kaedweni troops?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

black.lion posted:

You're going to have to figure that out unfortunately. Starting a new game just gives you an "Import save" option, and then you pick the save from a long list of all your saves.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

No he was just chillin in a dead end, he had some wooden armor on I think.

VDay posted:

You're going to have to figure that out unfortunately. Starting a new game just gives you an "Import save" option, and then you pick the save from a long list of all your saves.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Comrade Flynn posted:

Replaying Witcher 2...what sort of sick bastard would kill the trolls? They are the biggest bros.

A sick bastard who wants to craft some kewl armor.

Gimmie your skin, fuckers.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

Apparently, you'll quickly find yourself overleveled even if you only do a few sidequests. At least the writing should be good enough to finish them anyway.

Which is why doing a higher difficulty is good for two reasons: one to increase general difficulty, the other to slow the speed at which you level.

Because it seems there is no going overboard with sidequests in this game; you'll want to do them for story reasons alone.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Watching CohhCarnage's stream: The PC controls are loving insane. Left Shift + LMB for heavy strikes, Z to lock on, LAlt to short dodge, WASD + Space makes a little more sense for roll at least.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RatHat posted:

Iirc Geralt thought it was strange Ves wasn't harmed at all but it turns out she was just not telling the whole story because she got raped.

Ah, I had equated the memory of what I was seeing with the story Geralt was being told. Ves said they laughed at her and then let her go, while the memory shows the precursor to her being raped. Got it.

I had kinda just assumed everyone knew about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, I think that's what confused people, they thought the flashback was what she was telling Geralt and Roche.

Lord Lambeth posted:

There should be. I just did a roche run and didn't kill a single troll. Was it fighting a couple of kaedweni troops?

It's a somewhat hidden area. It's just an enemy, not a quest troll.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 17, 2015