Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Trent posted:

I thought that was for alien artifacts not just scary things

It's for things of unknown origins. They know where Hulk came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rolo posted:

drat was this movie as good as Dredd?

Better.

A buddy and I went to watch it yesterday (wive's just gave us side-eye when asked if they wanted to go, too). We both walked out completely shell-shocked (in a good way). Driving back we were talking and we figure that out of 120 mins, there's maybe 5-10 minutes of credits, about 10 minutes of "plot stuff" and the rest is cars, explosions, and violence. And it's really, really well made.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shwqa posted:

I think there is like one 2-4 minute scene where there isn't crazy action happening. I could imagine someone having an elevated heart rate the whole time. And in that case and having a bad heart could led to a heart attack. Seriously the whole movie just does not stop.

I guess my only complaint is they never seem to answer "then who destroyed the world?" And I wish more people huffed silver paint.

Well, Hardy is signed on to do FOUR more of these. So maybe they'll get to the trigger. However, I seem to recall from the first Mad Max, "who destroyed the world" was just humanity in general for not husbanding resources. Ran out of oil and then ran out of water (or vice-versa)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I didn't really like the first Mad Max, but one of the things I like about it in relation to the other films is it shows how people keep trying to act like everything's normal even when things have gone very, very wrong.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Grandpa George just made every other action movie director look like an idiot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

flosofl posted:

Well, Hardy is signed on to do FOUR more of these.

:stare:

Holy poo poo.

I love Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky. He's a gruff no-nonsense motherfucker, but he's not a bad man. He's just rough 'round the edges, and he's seen some poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ColHannibal posted:

Grandpa George just made every other action movie director look like an idiot.

Well, I think it helped that his contract basically said, "Give me $150MM. I'm going to the desert. And you all gently caress off and don't touch ANYTHING I do."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

flosofl posted:

Well, I think it helped that his contract basically said, "Give me $150MM. I'm going to the desert. And you all gently caress off and don't touch ANYTHING I do."

It's easy to say they weren't with the benefit of hindsight but who is the crazy person that signed off on that deal?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

It's easy to say they weren't with the benefit of hindsight but who is the crazy person that signed off on that deal?

I know! That was my first thought, too. That was like New Line betting the company on the LotR movies levels of trust.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't trust people that much with my cell phone, let alone a huge company. The psychology of it is fascinating.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

"You give me $150MM, I'll give you several hours of footage of cars, violence and explosions that'll loving blow your mind."

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

You know, I'm loving sick of super hero movies. I get that hollywood has its own shticks that it latches onto and runs into the ground before moving on to the next one, I just really wish they ran this bitch into the ground already.

hopefully sometime before the Antman movie comes out, or sometime after. Some things should be left dead

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Randalor posted:

"You give me $150MM, I'll give you several hours of footage of cars, violence and explosions that'll loving blow your mind."

I looked up his imdb and Miler did direct Happy Feet and Lorenzo's Oil in addition to the Mad Max flicks, so yeah he probably did have a lot more clout with certain money people than some Freddie Wong-type who could promise the exact same thing for a fraction of the cost.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Tell me about it! And I'm so sick of Chinese food, when will They ever start making pizza again?!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

You know, I'm loving sick of super hero movies. I get that hollywood has its own shticks that it latches onto and runs into the ground before moving on to the next one, I just really wish they ran this bitch into the ground already.

hopefully sometime before the Antman movie comes out, or sometime after. Some things should be left dead

Prepare for all these motherfucking goons to tell you how wrong you are

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Non Serviam posted:

Can you elaborate on this, or are you kidding?

Not kidding. He was feeling lovely, had all the symptoms of an MI, convinced himself it was just some bad popcorn or something that was causing an upset stomach. Then he went to the bathroom and noticed that he was really sweaty and pale for no good reason and even speaking was an effort, and drove himself to the ER, where he was able to say "Help me" and fell the gently caress over. They at first thought he was a junkie who needed Nalaxone, until he told them his arm was going numb and they did an EKG. Then they said "holy poo poo" and airlifted him to a better hospital and give him a stent.

48 hours from MI to discharge.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Irritating Movie Moment: Fury Road was so :black101: it gave Phanatic's buddy a heart attack!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Prepare for all these motherfucking goons to tell you how wrong you are

No one cares.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Was watching a recent Terry Gilliam movie called The Zero Theorem and it was pretty good up until the last ten minutes when the story just kind of falls apart and nothing gets resolved.

Yeah. That sucked.

Here's Matt Damon being dull and telling protag that his phone call isn't coming, also gently caress off you don't work here anymore. That kid with the health problems, welp. Excellent use of lounge cover of Creep I guess?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Yeah. That sucked.

Here's Matt Damon being dull and telling protag that his phone call isn't coming, also gently caress off you don't work here anymore. That kid with the health problems, welp. Excellent use of lounge cover of Creep I guess?

Also maybe that entire final scene was just in his head?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Also maybe that entire final scene was just in his head?

It's supposed to tie in with Brazil and Twelve Monkeys. I guess.

Those movies were insanely good and Zero took a pass for obvious reasons.

I did like his psychiatrist's breakdown and several aspects of it but I can't recommend it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Phanatic posted:

48 hours from MI to discharge.

When you got that big dick swagger, ain't no little thing like your heart suddenly not pumping gonna slow you down.

But seriously, gently caress writers who just have their characters walk off the kind of injuries that put people out for 6 months to a year.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

syscall girl posted:

It's supposed to tie in with Brazil and Twelve Monkeys. I guess.

Those movies were insanely good and Zero took a pass for obvious reasons.

I did like his psychiatrist's breakdown and several aspects of it but I can't recommend it.

I was disappointed as well, but I would recommend it if you don't invest too much into it beforehand. It's a weird and entertaining movie, albeit somewhat forgettable in the end. Definitely not on the same level as 12 Monkeys or Brazil.

As for some actual contribution, I just watched Chappie. It was very entertaining because I didn't take it too serious from the start. (I think that a lot of gripes people have with movies is because they go into it with the wrong mindset or expectations, which is one of the reasons that Zero Theorem was a disappointment for me.)

I do have 2 irritating moments to share about Chappie that struck me while I was watching:

The first being that Deon took the master key thingy, which was said to be this extremely high security measure, and not only did it take the company what, two days? for them to figure out it was missing in the first hand but even worse, when they finally did log it missing he was told to return it by the end of the day or *serious repercussions.* I mean, holy poo poo, that's some lacks loving security for something that could possibly endanger law enforcement in its totality.

The second being that Wolverine has this super awesome combat mech thing going on, but for whatever reason (A) apparently it needs some kind of mind-linkage remote control poo poo to function and (B) apparently Joburg exists in a vacuum and the wider world doesn't exist, a supermech isn't profitable and couldn't possible be used in actual combat zones and poo poo. They even make a point of the police people mocking the guy because what use is being able to take down aircrafts when you're trying to enforce the law in a city? Yeah, no poo poo, get some military guys in there and they'll buy a shitton of mechs. It reminded me of the new Robocop film where those mechs were used.

Like I said, I really, really enjoyed myself for two hours, but only because it's very entertaining to see an AI acting like a powerful robot teenager raised by Die Antwoord. Also, the ending was very predictable but no less fun because of it.

eta:
Also, for some reason, the big robot during the big showdown looked very CGI/fake to me, which surprised me because the CGI is top notch aside from those couple of scenes.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 23:38 on May 17, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda annoyed about Superhero movies and tv shows but for a weird reason.

Movies, it's like, I'll be watching the movie like AOU or Avengers and suddenly the thought will pop into my head "Holy gently caress these are legit actors who are just swinging poo poo around and playing pretend dress up against green tennis balls" and that takes me outta the movie. I just get this feeling like "holy gently caress that has to be awkward" and then I remember they are getting paid millions for this and then it's like "holy gently caress this could be better".

TV it's more like "Wow... why can't they write someone who acts like a normal human being for once?" when it comes to SECRETS and MOTIVATIONS and just drama stuff that 95% of the world would be like "Eh, gently caress it, let's grab a pizza" and somehow they go with the 5% that's all "OMG ULTIMATE BETRAYAL NOW AND ONLY NOW DO I UNDERSTAND WHAT SORT OF PERSON YOU ARE EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE THE SAME PERSON YOU WERE LAST SEASON".

Also, the weird 3 on 1 fights where literally no one bothers to rush the hero. A lot of fights would be over really goddamn quick if everyone just bumrushed and kicked the poo poo outta the hero.

The last irrationally irritating thing is when I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy, Quill ad libbed that "If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting". He was yanked off earth when he was like 8. He'd have no idea who the gently caress Jackson Pollock was nor would he care. Just seemed out of character. I was irritated he still had the orange foam to his sony walkman but then I realized there's probably a machine in space that can make replica foam headset pieces cause you know, loving, space and all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

TV it's more like "Wow... why can't they write someone who acts like a normal human being for once?" when it comes to SECRETS and MOTIVATIONS and just drama stuff that 95% of the world would be like "Eh, gently caress it, let's grab a pizza" and somehow they go with the 5% that's all "OMG ULTIMATE BETRAYAL NOW AND ONLY NOW DO I UNDERSTAND WHAT SORT OF PERSON YOU ARE EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE THE SAME PERSON YOU WERE LAST SEASON".
Is this specifically about Arrow? Because that whole "I can't believe Oliver could be such an arsehole and not tell us what he's doing! Again. Like always." was pretty annoying. If they haven't figured out by now that Oliver will make decisions behind their backs and do whatever he wants regardless of what anyone else thinks or how it affects them, well, do they suffer from amnesia or something?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Arrow, Supernatural, hell pretty much any drama show. Angel, Buffy, Smallville. It just gets tiring after a while.

The only show that handled it like a normal person would was Flash, and I was so proud of that moment it was crazy. It was like I could hold up a flag and wave it and go LOOK! THESE GUYS KNOW HOW TO WRITE! CMON MAN! LISTEN TO THEM!!!!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Agents of Shield introduced the main cast by having them invite a bunch of south american militares into their base, only to be shocked when this plan turned out poorly. Then one of the main characters was raped and nobody seemed to really mind.

Fil5000 posted:

Hang on, where did that happen? I mostly watched this while doing other things so wasn't giving it 100% attention but I don't remember THAT.

I'd like to know this too. I watched the first half of season 1 of AoS and got bored with it, I don't remember anyone getting raped.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I can think of is that time the asgardian lady came to earth (Loreili?) and mind controlled Grant and I think they had sex.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The last irrationally irritating thing is when I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy, Quill ad libbed that "If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting". He was yanked off earth when he was like 8. He'd have no idea who the gently caress Jackson Pollock was nor would he care. Just seemed out of character. I was irritated he still had the orange foam to his sony walkman but then I realized there's probably a machine in space that can make replica foam headset pieces cause you know, loving, space and all.

Not to sound like a jerk but I knew who Jackson Pollock was when I was 8.
Plus, this may be meta knowledge about the comics, he never explicitly states that he never went back to Earth. He has Earth-like tech in his ship (cassette player) so it's fully within the realm of possibility that he has visited Earth and/or gotten Earth items from space traders.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A White Guy posted:

Th big summer blockbuster superhero movie is getting kinda stale, but I'm looking forward to the natural progression toward postmodernism. Well, if studios will devote the budget toward getting experimental with something that requires that much money. We got a few movies dipping their toes in, like Kick-rear end, V for Vendetta, the Punisher, and Watchmen, but it would be nice to see someone pushing the boundaries outside of shot-for-shot comic adaptations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think literally no Marvel movie takes any significant stuff from a comic for its plot.

Hell, the comics Age of Ultron is a time travel story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

I think literally no Marvel movie takes any significant stuff from a comic for its plot.

Hell, the comics Age of Ultron is a time travel story.

Winter Soldier did a poo poo ton

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wasn't Days of Future Past very similar to a comics run?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ryoshi posted:

Wasn't Days of Future Past very similar to a comics run?

Yep it contains a bunch of the same elements

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Fury Road was amazing. One thing amongst a thousand that stood out was how good Hardy was at acting really bestial. His twitching and gestures and few words worked together so well. What a great movie, I think I'm going to see it in theatre again before it goes.

For content, I saw the trailer for AntMan and it was one of the dumbest loving things I've ever seen. That concept belongs in the worst sort of b-movie, and that's where it would be if Hollywood didn't know that you could put a hundred million dollars behind a literal mound of garbage and if it was from a comic book it would still be super profitable.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

For content, I saw the trailer for AntMan and it was one of the dumbest loving things I've ever seen. That concept belongs in the worst sort of b-movie, and that's where it would be if Hollywood didn't know that you could put a hundred million dollars behind a literal mound of garbage and if it was from a comic book it would still be super profitable.

I'm so disappointed Edgar Wright left the project, I think he could've had a lot of fun with the material.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: Everything that's not Fury Road is irrationally terrible.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I laughed at the trailer when he is afraid of getting run over by thomas the tank engine but yeah it does look like a bad movie.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
they could have given black widow her own movie but no we get loving antman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Snoop Radley posted:

I'm so disappointed Edgar Wright left the project, I think he could've had a lot of fun with the material.

Even if nothing else, the fight choreography would have been incredible. His departure from that movie shifted it from a movie I was highly anticipating to one I have pretty much zero interest in seeing now, and the trailer sure as hell didn't help with that :smith: