Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow even the TORG game is sold out

Good thing the Auction does not require event tickets :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Things I would be willing to buy a goon a drink to play:

Call of Cthulhu
Atomic Robo or any FATE game
Shadowrun

I can provide anywhere from 2-4 people for the game if bodies would be a problem.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Len posted:

Things I would be willing to buy a goon a drink to play:

Call of Cthulhu
Atomic Robo or any FATE game
Shadowrun

I can provide anywhere from 2-4 people for the game if bodies would be a problem.

Depending on how my event sniping goes, I might run something FATE-y. I'll say something in here if I do.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.
I got the DCC Lankhmar game that I wanted. Somehow I didn't get a ticket to a 5e game, even though my friend added tickets for all 5 of us and he was like 100th in line. All 4 of them got tickets, but I didn't. Maybe someone ahead of them took the other two spots?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Got my ticket to RPG1569557 - The Deadly Tower Of Devilish Doom.

:getin:

My group made out pretty well. Took about 3 hours of wish list refreshing, but we got the all-access event we wanted (4 of us going) and some painting and miniature stuff. Also a few hours of Artemis so we can pretend to fly the Enterprise.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ritorix posted:

My group made out pretty well. Took about 3 hours of wish list refreshing, but we got the all-access event we wanted (4 of us going) and some painting and miniature stuff. Also a few hours of Artemis so we can pretend to fly the Enterprise.

Artemis is fun but I can never get anyone in my group to go. I got in a group on generics once and it was a blast.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

ritorix posted:

Hey, thats me! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Got into a Numenera game!

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 17, 2015

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
So, first time registering for GenCon. I got a hotel room booked a couple months ago. But this event registration thing is bonkers. I'm totally clueless. I don't even know what I want to register for. If I miss out on this, will I be poo poo out of luck during the con? Wandering around looking at people having fun?

Also, there's no games events that aren't Pathfinder (blegh). How likely will I be to find someone running cool indie poo poo like Apocalypse World or something?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

rex monday posted:

So, first time registering for GenCon. I got a hotel room booked a couple months ago. But this event registration thing is bonkers. I'm totally clueless. I don't even know what I want to register for. If I miss out on this, will I be poo poo out of luck during the con? Wandering around looking at people having fun?

Also, there's no games events that aren't Pathfinder (blegh). How likely will I be to find someone running cool indie poo poo like Apocalypse World or something?

I wouldn't worry about it, a lot of smaller events and workshops sell out quickly because the demand is high (I got one out of three mini painting classes) but most of the large events usually have a few free seats and people drop out of full events all the time. I barely booked anything last year and just showed up to events with generic tickets and managed to weasel my way in.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Yeah don't sweat missing registering for every event you wanted, I'd say maybe half the games I was in last year had at least 1 person with a generic. Not to mention I skipped 3 events myself due to dealer hall wandering and sleeping off alcohol.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Also when you get there go to the Games on Demand room. They'll have a crapload of cool indie games that are, um, on demand. Here's what they're planning on offering. They won't be running all of that at every time slot but that's what they will have available.

head58 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 18, 2015

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Thanks. I just feel really under-prepared for this.

Related question: how fun is the True Dungeon thing? Is it actually fun or just bewildering and weird? I'm getting mixed messages from this SUSD video.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
There are some cool indie games still available.

Here's a Dungeon World:
https://www.gencon.com/events/searc...p;commit=Search

There's a 3-session-long Urban Shadows game still open. That's Apoc World used for a WoD-style modern horror:
https://www.gencon.com/events/searc...p;commit=Search

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I hosed up, and since I got called in to work this morning I forgot all about event registration. The biggest thing on my wishlist that I wanted was the AGoT LCG Kingslayer Tourney, and of course I missed it.

What is a good rule of thumb for generic tickets? Will I be able to buy some on location? I don't want to go overboard since I have absolutely no touchstone for this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Carteret posted:

I hosed up, and since I got called in to work this morning I forgot all about event registration. The biggest thing on my wishlist that I wanted was the AGoT LCG Kingslayer Tourney, and of course I missed it.

What is a good rule of thumb for generic tickets? Will I be able to buy some on location? I don't want to go overboard since I have absolutely no touchstone for this.

You can get generics there. I plan to buy $20 worth before then so they just give me them at will call.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

rex monday posted:

Related question: how fun is the True Dungeon thing? Is it actually fun or just bewildering and weird? I'm getting mixed messages from this SUSD video.

Like all things at GenCon, it all depends on your group. Get a good group interested in having fun, it's a blast. Get a group of grognards bitching every time your slide falls off the table, welp.

That said, the DMs and volunteers are almost universally wonderful and will do their best to make it a fun time, and it is definitely a rare sort of event to try.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

head58 posted:

Also when you get there go to the Games on Demand room. They'll have a crapload of cool indie games that are, um, on demand. Here's what they're planning on offering. They won't be running all of that at every time slot but that's what they will have available.

Yooooooo
Thanks for this! Most of the games I missed out on are being played at On Demand, I know where I'll be hanging out!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

head58 posted:

quote:

Name
Monster of the Week: Beasts of Burden
Times
Thu 10AM
Fri 10AM
Sat 12PM
Sun 12PM
Duration
4 hours
Number of Players
2 to 5
Audience
Pitch
Take on the role of neighborhood dogs (and an occasional cat), defending the sleepy little town of Burden Hill against all manner of supernatural menaces. Haunted doghouses, undead roadkill, and smart-rear end witches’ familiars are all that stand between you and your evening walk.

Based on the award winning comic books by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson.

I WANT TO PLAY THAT SO MUCH AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW.

Beasts of Burden owned so many bones.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Len posted:

I WANT TO PLAY THAT SO MUCH AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW.

Beasts of Burden owned so many bones.

how do I get tickets for this for me and my friends

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
if there's a schedule for Games on Demand, what makes them different than regular scheduled games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sigma-X posted:

how do I get tickets for this for me and my friends

You just have to show up to games on demand at those times and hope for the best I think.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bucnasti posted:

if there's a schedule for Games on Demand, what makes them different than regular scheduled games?

Nobody wants to play the regularly scheduled games.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I really want to play Artemis this year. There are still lots of slots available. Anyone want to tag along?

I am busy Friday AM and Thursday 8 PM for the NSDM session, but pretty flexible otherwise.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Bucnasti posted:

The schedule for games on demand is more tentative than the regular ones. Also, with tickets to a regular game, if you have a ticket, you have a spot to the game.

I'm not sure exactly how GoD works is well explained on the website. Last year it worked like this:

- get there a little early
- stop by the desk, get a letter (A-Z)
- Look at the games being offered for the next spot; generally there will be short descriptions
- wait a few minutes
- Listen for them to call the letters in random order. So if you have A and they call A first, you get your Monster of the Week dog-themed game.
- Play a fun game for (usually) 2 hours.

If they don't call your letter first you have to wait as other people pick games, but when I did it around 6 PM on Saturday last year, there were a lot of cool looking games to pick from. It does still take a generic ticket, but that's simple enough.

So it swaps out the mad randomness of "will I get what I want" in May (which is more how regular registered games work) with "will I get my first choice based on random draws from a smaller pool at GenCon". There's also a lot more obscure and indy games on offer at Games on Demand than the registered games. It's a pretty fun way to go, and if you can't get into the game you want you can shrug and be on your way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

saint gerald posted:

I really want to play Artemis this year. There are still lots of slots available. Anyone want to tag along?

I am busy Friday AM and Thursday 8 PM for the NSDM session, but pretty flexible otherwise.

I could potentially go depending on what time and cost.

Has anyone eaten at that restaurant doing lunch tickets? Seems like it could be a good idea to show up with a ticket and get handed lunch.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

saint gerald posted:

Artemis is pretty fun; I did it at Gen Con a few years ago, but I think I only paid like $12 to do it. (I've also played it once just with a local group.)

Now, they go all out with their Gen Con set up: touch screens for all the stations, great sound and lighting, and probably even more props and stuff, but I'm still not sure it's worth $40. That's almost as much as True Dungeon.

Then again, if there's a group that needs/wants an extra person, I could probably talked into paying the money and getting my Star Trek on for a couple of hours, especially if it's before and/or after some cocktails.

I'll be busy either Friday or Saturday depending on the Pastimes schedule, but other than that, I've got nothing. (The Paranoia and CoC events I was trying to get sold out, as usual.)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I'm slightly bummed, there was only a couple games of Terra Mystica on the event list and both were sold out by the time I got to look due to a break in at my place (was out buying sliding door security bars). I really want to try that out before i fork out the cash for it, just in case I end up hating it.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Sloober posted:

I'm slightly bummed, there was only a couple games of Terra Mystica on the event list and both were sold out by the time I got to look due to a break in at my place (was out buying sliding door security bars). I really want to try that out before i fork out the cash for it, just in case I end up hating it.

Almost all the board game stuff I've done with people at Gencon has been from other goons just buying something and wanting to try it out. I bet this can happen.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Probably unlikely with Terra Mystica since it's been out for a couple years, you tend to see the new hotness being bought/broken out. But, there's certainly no reason we couldn't try to schedule stuff with other goons - there are lots of available conference rooms/hotel bars/open game library where you can play whatever the hell you want. I'd personally like to get a few games of Argent in.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I'd definitely play a bunch of stuff. My group managed to get tickets to the tournaments they want so I'm pretty much coming for sure if I can actually find a place to stay.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Crackbone posted:

Probably unlikely with Terra Mystica since it's been out for a couple years, you tend to see the new hotness being bought/broken out. But, there's certainly no reason we couldn't try to schedule stuff with other goons - there are lots of available conference rooms/hotel bars/open game library where you can play whatever the hell you want. I'd personally like to get a few games of Argent in.

Guess I know at least one game I'm going to pack then.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'll do everything in my power to not call you "Tryrunt" this year

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Trynant posted:

Guess I know at least one game I'm going to pack then.

I'll bring mine.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Well I know since I live in town I have access to my entire game library as long as I have advanced notice.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I'm down for games with goons whenever, I'm there Wed night-Sun this year. I know that Gutter Owl Trynaut and Countblanc are all cool peeps with good game opinions, but I'll take a chance with the rest of you.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Truth be told, the only event I bought tickets for was all the schedule for the open-gaming area with a spare ticket for each time block for whoever. In other words, my niche this year is to play many the board games. Except maybe with a dumb stint or two at the vendor hall where I'll get a bag of games stolen again.

Crackbone posted:

I'm down for games with goons whenever, I'm there Wed night-Sun this year. I know that Gutter Owl Trynaut and Countblanc are all cool peeps with good game opinions, but I'll take a chance with the rest of you.

Hah! I have horrible game opinions and you know it!

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
I know that I'd like to do another game of Fiasco because the one last year was fun as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Double Agent posted:

I know that I'd like to do another game of Fiasco because the one last year was fun as hell.

I want to try Fiasco because it sounds fun as poo poo.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
FUUUUCK, I don't know what to pick. All I want to do is play brand new games and have people teach me the rules. Any really highly anticipated games I should be trying to sneak into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Double Agent posted:

Fiasco and the dice I bought for it last year are on my list.

• Locked thread