Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Rodyle posted:

So did Hercule spend this whole "the world is taken over by a demon" thing on a gigantic drinking binge or what

You mean Demon King Piccolo?

Assuming Hercule's around the same age as Goku, he would be pretty far removed from being the World's Strongest Man*

*not trained by Master Roshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I meant in the sense of "how could anyone be a skeptic in this world."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rodyle posted:

So did Hercule spend this whole "the world is taken over by a demon" thing on a gigantic drinking binge or what

who the gently caress is hercule

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The same way the entire population of the Dragonball world forgot about the existence of Ki inbetween series.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I find "[manga author] forgot" is a good Occam's razor go-to answer for any sort of plot hole like this, in any series.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
King Picolo was just a trick! Some bombs and stuff, there was no way it was a real demon. Mr. Satan saw right trough it!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rodyle posted:

I'm reminded of the conversation in Men in Black where Tommy Lee Jones says how humans need to be kept in the dark about all the alien stuff because the realization that the Earth is constantly on the edge of being blown up would drive people completely insane. I think DBZ civilians are just conditioned to be uber skeptics.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

In the altered time line, Gero is still keeping tabs on them, but his graphs may be showing much higher estimated power boosts than before.

I believe Gero said that he stopped keeping track after the Saiyan saga, since with Goku's age he wouldn't be able to get strong enough to keep up with his androids (and considering he didn't know about SSJ and zenkai it could be possible - he created androids that turned out to be stronger than 100% Freeza and the last time he saw Goku he was struggling with Vegeta; that's a quite large margin of error there). In the altered time line he even mistakes loving Yamcha for Goku initially, due to his heightened power level.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 17, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
With Hercule, it's more that he was a pretty drat good fighter and then Taopaipai almost killed him. And from then on he thought Ki etc. was all bullshit. Basically self-justification for how he lost.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe Gero is such a genius that he took data from the Vegeta/19 fight and quickly inputted in the new stats, hmm???

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not sure why getting a hole punched through you would cause your flesh to warp and then vanish in a fiery explosion, but who am I to argue with King Piccolo?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Rodyle posted:

If I remember correctly Piccolo was king of the world for like a day, right? Not much time to do anything even if he'd wanted to.

Rodyle posted:

I'm not sure why getting a hole punched through you would cause your flesh to warp and then vanish in a fiery explosion, but who am I to argue with King Piccolo?

Namekian biology is weird. Alternatively, maybe what made him explode was spitting his essence (the Piccolo Jr. egg).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Who knows but it was the best action moment in Dragon Ball

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I wonder if King PIccolo would have been a competent ruler, outside of the mass destruction lottery. For all we know Dog King was useless, maybe they really would have turned around on Piccolo and he'd be satisfied with the praise of the people.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I wonder if King PIccolo would have been a competent ruler, outside of the mass destruction lottery. For all we know Dog King was useless, maybe they really would have turned around on Piccolo and he'd be satisfied with the praise of the people.

One of his first actions as ruler was making all crime legal and then making it illegal to say words like "peace" or "justice"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Well Manicured Man posted:

One of his first actions as ruler was making all crime legal and then making it illegal to say words like "peace" or "justice"

So you're saying "yes".

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The main problem I see with that theory posted last page was that main timeline Gero saw an increase in his power readings compared to the future timeline, yet he still didn't account for SSJ with 19 and 20, and presumably 17 and 18 either. Since the timelines are the same until Trunks shows up, I don't really see how Gero can notice a difference as opposed to the future timeline without acknowledging SSJ.

Also SSJ Vegeta in the history of Trunks video is anime only, right? I know there was a HoT manga too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

e X posted:

The same way the entire population of the Dragonball world forgot about the existence of Ki inbetween series.

The earliest Budokais were underground Bloodsport type stuff. They didn't get big and televised everywhere until Mr. Satan.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Well Manicured Man posted:

But... Wouldn't that crime then be legal?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

The earliest Budokais were underground Bloodsport type stuff. They didn't get big and televised everywhere until Mr. Satan.

Yeah, I think it only started with Mr Satan as the World Tournament that had Goku vs Tien only to be provided by radio judging by the scenes of Yamcha in the hospital. Would fit since the earlier tournaments had only standing viewing only, where the tournament post Cell's Game had big stadium seating.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Raserys posted:

But... Wouldn't that crime then be legal?

King Piccolo, in one decisive move, completely eradicated all illegal activities.

King Piccolo for President of Earth

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Darko posted:

Hercule as Frank Dux is a hilariously apt comparison, actually.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So King Piccolo is Ron Paul. Does that make Piccolo Jr. ... Rand Paul?

https://youtu.be/XdKhc4_xGjE

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

So Goku + Vegeta are officially more powerful than Bills, now, in case they ever bothered to work together (ie. they're close enough now, singularly, that the two of them would beat him).

Also, I just made the connection that Jaco is basically Earth's Green Lantern, who is hilariously inept as his job completely.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm not sure if that's true. Like Goku says he would be stronger then Beerus in his Super Cyan form, but Whis doesn't seem to believe it, and I'm more inclined to believe Whis then Goku.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
With Super Cyan, are they combining SSG with SSJ1 or 2?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mraagvpeine posted:

With Super Cyan, are they combining SSG with SSJ1 or 2?

Neither. They're just using SSJ using God ki. No SSG needed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Rodyle posted:

I always assumed Hercules knew the stuff the Ki users were doing was real, and he was just bullshitting to deceive his fans.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm not sure if that's true. Like Goku says he would be stronger then Beerus in his Super Cyan form, but Whis doesn't seem to believe it, and I'm more inclined to believe Whis then Goku.

Whis says that Goku and Vegeta would be able to beat Beerus if they worked together (probably as SSGSSJs). The movie ends, basically saying, that, no, they will always be rivals.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 17, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I always assumed Hercules knew the stuff the Ki users were doing was real, and he was just bullshitting to deceive his fans.

Not at first; he was genuinely surprised when he actually saw it.

From his perspective, it makes sense. The only thing that got national news was Piccolo taking over the world from president dog by blowing up cities by some unknown means. The Budokais were underground thing, and there were only THREE human ki users on the planet for a long time, and when Goku/Tenshinhan/Krillen/Yamcha/Chaunzu all appeared, it was unheard of, and everything they did happened out in the country or whatever.

he enters tournaments against people that don't have ki; Cell threatens the world as Piccolo 2.0, and he thinks he's the strongest guy on earth that can kick Cell's rear end because he has nothing to compare it to. Then he gets slammed into a mountain and sees all that crazy stuff, and just keeps up the charade after being somewhat heroic and throwing 16's head to Gohan.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Neither. They're just using SSJ using God ki. No SSG needed.

It's a little confusing that God Ki and SSG are separate.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Isn't there some interview that says Mr Satan hates ki cause a ki user killed his master

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Namtab posted:

Isn't there some interview that says Mr Satan hates ki cause a ki user killed his master

If true, I'd rather not see it. It'd ruin the illusion that is Hercule.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
It was Tao Pai Pai who killed his master, and that's the reason why he's so cowardly.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Covok posted:

If true, I'd rather not see it. It'd ruin the illusion that is Hercule.

There were scenes of him trying to fly in private, so I don't think so. Even if that was filler it was still better than that explanation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's a little confusing that God Ki and SSG are separate.

It's really not. Anyone who can train hard enough can access God Ki. SSG was a ritual some saiyins did to cheat some into temporary access to God Ki. Simple stuff.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

It was Tao Pai Pai who killed his master, and that's the reason why he's so cowardly.

He's not even really cowardly when it comes to standard threats. He's just VERY aware of his limits. He faced down those two gunmen who came to kill Majin Buu, and he stayed relatively close by during the Cell and Kid Buu fights and all the nonsense going along with those.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Momomo posted:

There were scenes of him trying to fly in private, so I don't think so. Even if that was filler it was still better than that explanation.

That was filler from after he sees videl fly off. T is unrelated to ki

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

So if I understand right, Super Cyan is combining the God Ki boost and SSJ boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
A while ago, someone linked those Dragonball Dissection videos, where the series was analyzed both in terms of content, references, and information surrounding the series and how it was made. Looks like this guy is back in full swing so something to look out for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAIt1ALOEr0

• Locked thread