Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Woo, I beat Metroid Fusion! :toot: Now I'm out of Metroid games to play

I haven't been following your Metroid posts very closely but did you play Zero Mission yet? It's probably still not out yet on Wii U in NA but that game owns bones and is probably my favorite Metroid game and you should find some way to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kaubocks posted:

I haven't been following your Metroid posts very closely but did you play Zero Mission yet? It's probably still not out yet on Wii U in NA but that game owns bones and is probably my favorite Metroid game and you should find some way to play it.

You should continue reading that post.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kaubocks posted:

Haven't done that one yet, no. As soon as they put it on the NA VC, you can bet I'll be buying the poo poo out of it!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Me and Silver Falcoln have our faces pressed up against the glass with the EU and Japan on the other side playing Metroid Zero Mission on their Wii U's

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Metroid II is pretty good actually. And I played it for the first time just a couple months ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Regy Rusty posted:

Me and Silver Falcoln have our faces pressed up against the glass with the EU and Japan on the other side playing Metroid Zero Mission on their Wii U's

You can have it when we get Paper Mario :argh:.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

fruitpunch posted:

Pretty much all cameras are terrible. At first when 3D games were coming out, reviews took note of games with bad cameras because it seemed possible that games could have good cameras. By now everyone has realised that the best we can hope for is "completely serviceable."

The Sonic Racing Games (Unleashed Daytime, Colors, Generations) have cameras that manage to be good by being 100% scripted.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Silver Falcon posted:

Woo, I beat Metroid Fusion! :toot: Now I'm out of Metroid games to play, (unless I dip into the original and Metroid 2, which... I didn't really want to do) until they finally release Zero Mission on the VC. I think it's already out in Pal-land, even?

All and all, Fusion is good... except for that bit near the end. You know, the part where the game locks you out of the entire rest of the game if you so much as set foot in a Nav room after getting the final power up? The final power up that is necessary to get the remaining collectibles? Who in the hell thought that was a good idea?! And how the hell are you supposed to get 100% in that case? What in the actual gently caress? :psyduck:

Load up the cleared file and you should have access to anywhere.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Was coming in to say the same thing. Fusion locks you into the ending sequence until you beat it then opens everything up when you load the beaten file. Once you know all the secrets and shortcuts, subsequent playthroughs can become a game of trying to get 100% without setting foot in a navigation room before triggering the end sequence.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FPzero posted:

Was coming in to say the same thing. Fusion locks you into the ending sequence until you beat it then opens everything up when you load the beaten file. Once you know all the secrets and shortcuts, subsequent playthroughs can become a game of trying to get 100% without setting foot in a navigation room before triggering the end sequence.

I... honestly Would not have thought to try that!

I take back anything mean I said about the game. :allears:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

elf help book posted:

You should continue reading that post.

I'm good at reading I swear. :downs:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes, I can't remember how fast/reliable The Game Connection is but they're doing Splatoon preorders for £24.95 (Squid Amiibo bundle is £38.95): http://www.thegamecollection.net/all-products/?title=Splatoon&keywords=splatoon

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DoctorWhat posted:

The Sonic Racing Games (Unleashed Daytime, Colors, Generations) have cameras that manage to be good by being 100% scripted.

All the Sega games have good cameras because almost all of the ones back in the day have a button dedicated to snapping the camera behind you at tap, or you can just hold it down to keep it there. Yet this somehow isn't a standard.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Looper posted:

I have nothing to base this on, but I feel like the timing was sorta wonky even in the original. Certainly not as tight as SMRPG or even TTYD
This is true, but I also had difficulties with stuff like Power Bouncing on the Gamepad that I didn't remember the last time I played on 64 or even using a Gamecube controller when I played through the VirtuaL Console. I was kinda worried for a bit there that I was no longer good at Power Bounces, but then I got an 11 jump combo after a little bit of practice with it so I think maybe it just takes some getting used to on a new controller

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I... honestly Would not have thought to try that!

I take back anything mean I said about the game. :allears:

It's still really terrible design! The Screw Attack does let you plow through secret hallways connecting each of the sectors, though, allowing you to move through them without ever entering a nav room and triggering the endgame

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm playing Paper Mario for the first time on the Wii U VC, and I got used to all the timings pretty quick, just hit the button right before the impact occurs.

It's not inconsistent or broken or anything like that. It's perfectly functional.

I'm not going to argue that it's not different from the original release, because I wouldn't know, but as a new player I haven't had any sort of difficulty getting the timing right.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I picked up Paper Mario with my coins. I'm going to play it eventually, but how does it compare to TTYD? I adore that game and I don't want to get my hopes up too high and be disappointed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Watrick posted:

I picked up Paper Mario with my coins. I'm going to play it eventually, but how does it compare to TTYD? I adore that game and I don't want to get my hopes up too high and be disappointed.

Think of it as one long book where TTYD is where the twist happens and Sticker Star is where they jump the shark.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Watrick posted:

It's like TTYD but not quite as good. It's still great and if you liked TTYD you'll like it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
On the plus side, Paper Mario doesn't really have backtracking. That's limited to like one chapter.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. That was one of the games I was bummed I missed on the 64.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

On the plus side, Paper Mario doesn't really have backtracking. That's limited to like one chapter.

Oh god, don't remind me of Chapter 4 of TTYD :cripes:.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
pro controller being delivered today! perhaps this will help me curb my desire to stare at the gamepad the whole time.

this is my only issue. i have a lovely big TV with the game playing, but my subconscious is saying "look at your hands!" and i end up doing that and ignoring my tv which then auto shuts off!

also i cannot believe i accidentally found some secret exit in NSMBwii that took me to a cannon and shot me across the world map. why are there not enough gaming hours in the day???

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zero mission is really drat good, played it for the first time digging out my PSP for GBA emulation recently. So tightly designed and the progression felt like it flowed together really well. It's possibly mr favorite Metroid now.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

UK dudes, I can't remember how fast/reliable The Game Connection is but they're doing Splatoon preorders for £24.95 (Squid Amiibo bundle is £38.95): http://www.thegamecollection.net/all-products/?title=Splatoon&keywords=splatoon

Not that I'm complaining but I wonder what the deal is with Splatoon being so cheap here on release (£29 from amazon if you wanna pay a little more for a reliable source) and the full price of $60 in US? The equivalent here on market would be £45-50.

I have so much love for the Wii U lately. It's always been my favourite current console as I have a PC for everything else except Bloodborne but I got Captain Toad recently as I was really in the mood for a nice puzzle game and oooh my god it's so adorable and polished and lovely and :3: and great. I just ordered a preowned bundle of Mario Bros U + Luigi U for £25 which seems like a good price for the two together, but I've still gotta do Toad and Bayonetta 2. Might get Splatoon and Yoshi wait for reviews of Yoshi too :smithicide:

On top of that I host local multiplayer games nights every fortnight and people loving LOVE Mario Kart 8, and 8-player Smash with 8 GC controllers.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 18, 2015

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh god, don't remind me of Chapter 4 of TTYD :cripes:.

TTYD chapter 4 is art, as is the part where you go through the same dialogue box 100 times.

I should probably mention that I like DK64 so maybe repetition is just my thing.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Junpei Hyde posted:

TTYD chapter 4 is art, as is the part where you go through the same dialogue box 100 times.

I don't remember that, what happens in Chapter 4?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

I don't remember that, what happens in Chapter 4?

Chapter 4 was the one with Doopliss and the ultimate backtrack-a-thon.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 18, 2015

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alabaster White posted:

Chapter 4 was the one with Doopliss and the ultimate backtrack-a-thon.

I have played this game and somehow this did not help me remember at all. Maybe I repressed the memory of Chapter 4 entirely?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't really remember what he means by same dialogue box 100 times.

I ile at the end of that chapter to ignore doopliss and kill all my party members first for being so easily dooped.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

greatn posted:

I don't really remember what he means by same dialogue box 100 times.

That one part where the pianta woman forces her fiancé to say "I love you" 100 times and you actually get a counter in the corner after the first 10 or so.

Trent posted:

I have played this game and somehow this did not help me remember at all. Maybe I repressed the memory of Chapter 4 entirely?

That part where you go through the forest to the ghost castle thing and beat up the boss and then it turns out the boss actually impersonated you and you're the shadow now and you have to go back and forth between town and ghost castle like three times.

I played TTYD a lot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neo Rasa posted:

As much as I love Metroid I know it's too dated in some ways, but Metroid II is still legit, I'd recommend it.

I've never understood the backlash against Metroid 1, honestly. Waah, I have to remember what rooms look like and maybe draw a map if I'm too lazy to look one up because we live in the age of the internet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

raditts posted:

I've never understood the backlash against Metroid 1, honestly. Waah, I have to remember what rooms look like and maybe draw a map if I'm too lazy to look one up because we live in the age of the internet.

I find Metroid 1 and 2 to be too archaic. I like my map in a game where it's asking me to explore every map block to find secrets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

I find Metroid 1 and 2 to be too archaic. I like my map in a game where it's asking me to explore every map block to find secrets.

You also always start off badly handicapped at 30 health instead of a full E-Tank.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

raditts posted:

Drawing the map yourself is awesome. I did this in December and now I have a sweet map I made as well as the experience of beating a rad classic game.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Free watergun if you get it at Splatoon at Target.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Jarogue posted:

Free watergun if you get it at Splatoon at Target.

Done

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

pro controller being delivered today! perhaps this will help me curb my desire to stare at the gamepad the whole time.

this is my only issue. i have a lovely big TV with the game playing, but my subconscious is saying "look at your hands!" and i end up doing that and ignoring my tv which then auto shuts off!

also i cannot believe i accidentally found some secret exit in NSMBwii that took me to a cannon and shot me across the world map. why are there not enough gaming hours in the day???

To be honest, the gamepad is better looking then my TV screen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

You have a really lovely TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I said come in! posted:

plus you don't have to wait for the vacuum tubes to warm up

• Locked thread