Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

If you care about performance or battery life, then you should get the i3.

Now that you mention the i3, I found a good deal for a Lenovo G50-70 with an i3 at 1.7GHz, do you think it'd be enough for VM use? The processor speed is my only issue, since the G50-70 is apparently not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Serperoth posted:

Now that you mention the i3, I found a good deal for a Lenovo G50-70 with an i3 at 1.7GHz, do you think it'd be enough for VM use? The processor speed is my only issue, since the G50-70 is apparently not bad.

Depending on what you're trying to do, it should be fine. VT-x and VT-d are supported

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Depending on what you're trying to do, it should be fine. VT-x and VT-d are supported

I don't really want anything too intensive, coding mostly. I had an assignment last year that specified it needed to be done on a Unix system so I want to keep my bases covered, without having to dual-boot just for that. So I'm probably good I suppose, it's not like the games I play are particularly strenuous either, that's looking like a prime candidate.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 14, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

VMs in my experience are way more RAM-intensive than CPU. I bought an i5-4xxx for my VM lab, loaded it up with a mix of about 8 windows and linux VMs and it basically flat-lined at 0% CPU usage which kind of suprised me, but that's modern virtualization technology for you. One of the VMs now runs a Folding@Home + World Community Grid service in the background.

You may want to consider a laptop with a second SO-DIMM RAM slot to upgrade to 8 or even 16GB down the road. I just put another 8GB ram in my vm lab box bringing it to 20GB as each one uses at least 512, typically 1024mb and 2GB for ones that you're actually using.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 14, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

VMs in my experience are way more RAM-intensive than CPU. I bought an i5-4xxx for my VM lab, loaded it up with a mix of about 8 windows and linux VMs and it basically flat-lined at 0% CPU usage which kind of suprised me, but that's modern virtualization technology for you.

You also want an SSD.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly, I've looked at going SSD for the VM images, but on my crappy refurb WD Blue 500GB rotational drive, one of my VMs just runs Visual Studio community edition + chrome and a few other ninite tools (my "blinders on, zero distractions, coding mode" environment) and i can't tell the difference in performance between it and my laptop that I'm using to RDP in to the session with.

My work VLAN VM which I used to RDP in to, to RDP in to my desktop at work, is a little slower than RDP-ing in to my laptop though. Tiniest amount of input lag on the mouse.

I bet an SSD for more than 2 active VMs, or 10VMs, or on a box with more than a single user, probably shows huge performance gains.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

Honestly, I've looked at going SSD for the VM images, but on my crappy refurb WD Blue 500GB rotational drive, one of my VMs just runs Visual Studio community edition + chrome and a few other ninite tools (my "blinders on, zero distractions, coding mode" environment) and i can't tell the difference in performance between it and my laptop that I'm using to RDP in to the session with.

My work VLAN VM which I used to RDP in to, to RDP in to my desktop at work, is a little slower than RDP-ing in to my laptop though. Tiniest amount of input lag on the mouse.

I bet an SSD for more than 2 active VMs, or 10VMs, or on a box with more than a single user, probably shows huge performance gains.

It depends entirely on the workload that the VMs are doing, a hard drive will quickly be brought to its knees with even 2 or 3 VMs doing light simultaneous random reads.

I'm shocked you can use VS happily on a slow hard drive, do you use Resharper? I've found VS2013 + Resharper to be just miserably slow without an SSD.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am learning C# and doing piddly little business logic database apps and a very crude flight simulator (I originally wrote it to run on an arduino) so it's probably a very light load compared to what you're doing.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

I have a grand in Dell gift cards and was thinking of picking up the low end XPS 13 Developer Edition for the weight, battery life and the looks - looking for something I can flop on the couch with to do some coding or escape from the home office and ride to a coffee shop during the day. Anyone have experience with the Ubuntu versions? Does the hardware work as expected?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Thanks for all the help, I just pulled the trigger on a T440, i7-4600U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD-HD, and Lenovo warranty till 2017 for $625 USD ($800 CDN). Hopefully I don't get dinged too bad on Customs (its through USPS, so hopefully itll be about $40-50).

It was slightly above my wanted budget, but I decided to go up to the 4XXX processor for the battery life, and the jump in screen resolution. My last Lenovo was an SL510 I bought new from the Lenovo website 5 years ago for $600+, and its been a piece of crap ever since, so I decided to pony up the money to invest in something better. I

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
I just got a new T450s at work and the trackpoint scrolling is not smooth at all. Any simple fixes to that? Fiddling around with trackpoint settings did not help much, and there is no alternative driver to use (as far as I know).

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Install Linux.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

sarehu posted:

Install Linux.

Problem solved ?

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

Spatule posted:

Problem solved ?

Downgrading the driver helped for the most part, although I believe the Linux driver is far superior.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Will Rice posted:

Downgrading the driver helped for the most part, although I believe the Linux driver is far superior.

Noob. I'm sure you have no idea about stairs either.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This is my current laptop:

It's a Metabox/Clevo M60TU that I use once or twice a week mainly for watching shows on Netflix (HDMI to the TV) and general browsing. It runs okay (except for the noisy fan) but can be insanely slow at times even just doing basic things. If I added a 128 Gb SSD (Samsung 840 EVO or Intel 530) and added another 4 Gb of ram will I see a noticeable difference in general performance?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You'll probably want a bigger and more up to date SSD, but yeah, your system will feel much more responsive. You probably won't need to buy more RAM either since you're not gaming on that thing. Right?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GrizzlyCow posted:

You'll probably want a bigger and more up to date SSD, but yeah, your system will feel much more responsive. You probably won't need to buy more RAM either since you're not gaming on that thing. Right?

Really depends on what is meant by 'general browsing'. Modern browsers will eat as much RAM as you have if you are in the habit of keeping a bunch of stuff open.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

It's a Metabox/Clevo M60TU that I use once or twice a week mainly for watching shows on Netflix (HDMI to the TV) and general browsing. It runs okay (except for the noisy fan) but can be insanely slow at times even just doing basic things. If I added a 128 Gb SSD (Samsung 840 EVO or Intel 530) and added another 4 Gb of ram will I see a noticeable difference in general performance?

That's just slightly older than my old Lenovo (it has a first gen i7) and the cheap 240gb SSD I put in made a huge difference. Mine only has 4gigs of ram too but it handles browsing with a dozen tabs open and Netflix viewing great.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm looking for a portable little computing monster to replace my aging mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro, and I'm looking for something possibly not-Apple in the same size and expected performance. I've looked at both the ASUS ZenBook UX305FA and UX303LN, but I'm not convinced whether the newest one (UX303LN) is that much of an upgrade to the previous generation (UX305FA). Is there anything else in that price range/size/performance I should rather be looking at?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

GrizzlyCow posted:

Those were the two picks in the PC Parts Picking thread, thought they would be good choices given I don't need top of the line.

Another 4 Gb stick is like $50 so probably worth throwing in as I may want to do some light gaming or Steam streaming.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Those are very different systems, the UX305FA is actually the newer one

UX303LN
- 15W CPU (normal ULV i5/i7)
- dGPU
- 1.45kg
- 19.2mm thick

UX305FA
- 4.5W CPU (Core M)
- Integrated graphics
- 1.18kg
- 12.7mm thick

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

dissss posted:

Those are very different systems, the UX305FA is actually the newer one
In Europe, the UX305FA was released in December, while the UX303LN is from March this year. I guess these dates differ between the regions, thus my confusion? Either way, since I am completely out of the portable market, what does the difference in CPUs have to say for performance? I have T440 work laptop that I am very displeased with the performance of, although that thing only has 4GB of memory which I believe to be the source of its issues.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Those were the two picks in the PC Parts Picking thread, thought they would be good choices given I don't need top of the line.

Another 4 Gb stick is like $50 so probably worth throwing in as I may want to do some light gaming or Steam streaming.

The SSD part of the Megathread is a little old and conservative. The 850 EVO now costs less than both the Intel 530 and 840 Pro. Prices are in flux for SSDs, so what is a good deal today might not be worth poo poo next week.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

I have T440 work laptop that I am very displeased with the performance of, although that thing only has 4GB of memory which I believe to be the source of its issues.

It's most likely to be the hard disk (or possibly a really loaded down corporate image)

Anyway the Core M CPU is fine in bursts, but if you want sustained performance you'll want to go for the UX303 with its much more powerful CPU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

dissss posted:

It's most likely to be the hard disk (or possibly a really loaded down corporate image)

Anyway the Core M CPU is fine in bursts, but if you want sustained performance you'll want to go for the UX303 with its much more powerful CPU
Okay so, UX303LN it is. If you have time for one more question... is the difference between an i7-4510U and i7-5500U significant enough to warrant picking the i7-5500U?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

Okay so, UX303LN it is. If you have time for one more question... is the difference between an i7-4510U and i7-5500U significant enough to warrant picking the i7-5500U?

Not a lot of difference between those on the CPU side. I'd tend to save some money and grab an i5 version anyway - dual core i7 is seldom worthwhile.

Anyway all this assumed the models you are talking about aren't some weird Europe spec - might be worth posting some links

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the main difference would be HD4400 vs HD5500 on-chip GPU. If you care about that, go for the 5500 I guess.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Right so there's a zillion models of the UX303LN, but the spec I want (8GB RAM / 256GB SSD / 3200x1800) comes with a main difference that only seems to be an i7-4510U @ 2GHz with a GF 840M versus i7-5500U @ 2.4GHz with GF 840M. I can't find anything else different between them, and there seems to be literally zero i5 versions over here. I can't find them on anything but Norwegian sites so...

http://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=2913132 vs http://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=3004197

edit: oh, the i7-5500U has a touch screen. thas fancy I guess

ilifinicus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 16, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
4710U and 5500U are the same chip, both are 15W TDP, the only difference is, one is 22nm, other is 14nm, and has a better on chip GPU.

Considering they both also feature an 840M for when the 3D gets tough, go for the cheaper one, IMO. Unless you really want that touch screen.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The broadwell CPU will have better battery life (5xxx series)

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I'm on the hunt for a laptop for my girlfriend, and she has some pretty simple spec needs; she uses it to watch Netflix and just browse the net, so video/picture quality and audio quality are the highest priorities, behind price. We're aiming for $600 as the upper end of what she is looking for. I've been leaning towards pointing her at a Thinkpad E550 - 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), Anti-Glare, Black. That's $537.

But then I was looking at the Dell XPS 13" and some other things, and thinking I might be missing a thing with some good all-round capability, but particularly something that is great for video, with a decent set of onboard speakers.

Can anyone recommend something that is explicitly built for multimedia, but falls in that range while still offering decent performance and battery life?

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Keshik posted:

I'm on the hunt for a laptop for my girlfriend, and she has some pretty simple spec needs; she uses it to watch Netflix and just browse the net, so video/picture quality and audio quality are the highest priorities, behind price. We're aiming for $600 as the upper end of what she is looking for. I've been leaning towards pointing her at a Thinkpad E550 - 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), Anti-Glare, Black. That's $537.

But then I was looking at the Dell XPS 13" and some other things, and thinking I might be missing a thing with some good all-round capability, but particularly something that is great for video, with a decent set of onboard speakers.

Can anyone recommend something that is explicitly built for multimedia, but falls in that range while still offering decent performance and battery life?

Toshiba Chromebook 2: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-CB35-...ebook+toshiba+2

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This is a good recommendation.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a laptop for IT work; I'm currently using an XP laptop with a dead battery and was initially considering even going outside of laptops for say a Surface 3, but I don't think I really need the tablet functionality. Main uses would be remote desktop work for after main hours support calls and taking it with me to troubleshoot on-site problems, or using at home / work as a spare screen of information. Lightweight is good because I hate carrying around my current juggernaut and it presumably shouldn't need much horsepower if my work is mostly being handled remotely by a server farm.

None of the cheap options seem to have built-in ethernet by the look of it; anyone use the X205 for IT work at all? Worth grabbing and pairing with a USB-to-Ethernet adapter as needed?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The X205 was a great laptop for it's time but you're going to get better battery life out of a refurb X230 or X240. For remote desktop any of those are good options but except for the x240 the resolution is going to be on the low side.

Does Toshiba make a Windows 8 version of that laptop? I like the Asus X205 with Windows 8 but that same power-class of laptop running Windows 8 would be amazing paired with that 1080p screen.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 18, 2015

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking for a laptop for just general use/youtube browsing/gaming. So far I've settled on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318437
But I'm willing to go up to around 1.2k if it's worth it. It's prolly going to be used for 4-6 years at least so I'd like some staying power, well as much as you can get in the ever-updating world of electronics.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
There was another poster in here who claimed that he/she was purchasing a Transcend M.2 SSD to place in a T450s. It looks like there might be a compatibility issue with that part and that laptop. I've been using that SSD as a boot disk and it has crashed twice in less than two weeks; after the crash, the SSD was not recognized by the computer for a little while. After some poking around, it seems to be a fairly common occurrence:

nikoarg posted:

All, please avoid installing the Transcend m.2 ssd as a boot drive. It will stop working in a matter of weeks. I've been finding this to be happening to all users with the combination of t450s and transcends m.2 drive as a boot drive. It happend to me.
I have not yet seen it reported with the MyDigital SSD. I will remove the M.2 SSD, the factory HHD and buy a 2.5'' crucial SSD.

Regards

see also:

A.G. Lau posted:

Warning to those who want to install this in a Lenovo T450s for the Windows Partition!!
THIS WILL WORK BUT PERIODICALLY CRASH YOUR LENOVO T450s!
I have gone through 3 of these transcend M2SSD's in two different Lenovo T450s laptops and all three M2SSD's on BOTH laptops are crashing throwing M2 drive errors.
My other friend bought the MyDigitalSSD M2 SSD for his Lenovo T450s (exact laptop configuration as the other two) and has had zero problems with it. http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-Solid-State/dp/B00EZ2E8NO/
Something to consider if you are planning on installing the Transcend on a Lenovo T450s

I'm leaving this here in case there was anyone else on the fence about doing this. Would love to hear back from that other goon about whether the Transcend drive is working for him/her.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Chobayt posted:

I'm looking for a laptop for just general use/youtube browsing/gaming. So far I've settled on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318437
But I'm willing to go up to around 1.2k if it's worth it. It's prolly going to be used for 4-6 years at least so I'd like some staying power, well as much as you can get in the ever-updating world of electronics.

You're not going to be gaming on integrated graphics. Search around for something with a 965m or 970m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
So I cracked the glass (not the LCD) and broke the digitizer on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro a year ago. I looked into getting it replaced and it was going to cost me about $600 for parts and service. Recently I checked to see how much the LCD/digitzer assembly cost, and it's roughly ~$200 on ebay (for the QHD screen). I fancy myself pretty handy around electronics and this guy posted a yoga 2 pro teardown and screen replacement video. Tell me that I'm not insane for attempting to replace the screen on my own. Has anyone done anything similar in the past and how easy is it?