Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Laserface posted:

I can definitely see that there is potential for risks here with the lack of collision avoidance. as a Snowboarder the idea of the thing terrifies me. As a motorsport enthusiast I am excited as gently caress.

That thing has a really low max speed for motorsport uses. Its only 30mph or so. The 3dr Solo should be a bit faster and also has a follow mode. At least in motorsport you are inside a metal drone proof bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Laserface posted:

Theres an extended hands on with a prototype on youtube as well that shows it can take off from your hand/the ground.

I was really hoping for it to just fall lifelessly into the river when they tossed it off of that bridge.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Elendil004 posted:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate just how loving idiotic the FAA is and join me in a resounding cry of "gently caress the FAA!" because that would be nice.

As someone who also flies manned aircraft I don't have an issue with FAA asserting control of RC aircraft within reason since having a quadcopter that someone's FPVing up at 800 feet and can't see and avoid (nor easily be seen in time to react) smack into me and maybe my prop isn't something I'd like to experience. On the other hand, if they're kept at or below 400 feet and away from airports' approach paths (not just the big airports) I could care less.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Just ran across info on the lily cam.
https://www.lily.camera/
What's the likelyhood this actually works well? This is basically what I want in a quad.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

deong posted:

Just ran across info on the lily cam.
https://www.lily.camera/
What's the likelyhood this actually works well? This is basically what I want in a quad.

Probable reasons it will not work well:

- Poor GPS lock on either craft or hockey puck will result in weird flight errors
- "Lead in front of me" will almost certainly not work the way people want
- The drone doesn't have a gimbal and it appears that all the footage was shot on a real quad with a decent camera/gimbal. It's unknown how well the "digital gimbaling" will work

I have a feeling most people will trash these drones pretty quickly by having them hit stuff. In worst cases, people will be seriously injured by spinning props. The FTC would never authorize a company to release a surprise outdoor blender, but for some reason allows a company to market an autonomous drone that will do the same thing. Especially dumb is the 'come land on my hand' bit from the promo

Edit: Also, don't pre-order. These kickstarter projects have a history of being vaporware, and the technology is only getting cheaper and better at a terrifying rate. I doubt the normal sale price will be $999

on the left fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 15, 2015

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If Hobbyking only has the Mode1 Taranis in stock, it's really simple to switch it over to Mode2, right? My current transmitter is a DX6i, which gets poo poo on in a lot of the UHF forums I've been looking at because of its PPM out, so I'm seeing if I can stretch the budget out a bit to get a new TX. Having a second transmitter for new fliers would also be a nice bonus.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Coxswain Balls posted:

If Hobbyking only has the Mode1 Taranis in stock, it's really simple to switch it over to Mode2, right? My current transmitter is a DX6i, which gets poo poo on in a lot of the UHF forums I've been looking at because of its PPM out, so I'm seeing if I can stretch the budget out a bit to get a new TX. Having a second transmitter for new fliers would also be a nice bonus.

Unless you are outside of the US don't go that route. Aloft Hobbies or Helibatics both have them in stock (at least just a few days ago they did) and have Excellent customer service if there are issues.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Bought the Naza-M Lite FC from Amazon, and the packaging is hilarious:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Coxswain Balls posted:

Switching modes is really easy. Pop off the back and change the settings of some screws. It takes maybe 15 minutes tops.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

a foolish pianist posted:

DJI has gotten a lot better with their English in recent years but yeah, it's really mind bending how on a high quality, expensive product like that they still don't give a gently caress about the actual words they use to sell it.

T-motor is the same way; it's expensive, high quality stuff but their website still looks like this:

Like, that would be pretty standard for cheap garbage from eBay, but the first two descriptions are for a 350 dollar motor and a 370 dollar prop set.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RC aerial vehicles - great dense texture and hard woodiness

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

Make sure you upgrade that to a full v2

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
heres a kickstarter thats pretty wild https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ascentaerosystems/sprite-the-portable-rugged-totally-different-small

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

on the left posted:

Probable reasons it will not work well:

- Poor GPS lock on either craft or hockey puck will result in weird flight errors
- "Lead in front of me" will almost certainly not work the way people want
- The drone doesn't have a gimbal and it appears that all the footage was shot on a real quad with a decent camera/gimbal. It's unknown how well the "digital gimbaling" will work

I have a feeling most people will trash these drones pretty quickly by having them hit stuff. In worst cases, people will be seriously injured by spinning props. The FTC would never authorize a company to release a surprise outdoor blender, but for some reason allows a company to market an autonomous drone that will do the same thing. Especially dumb is the 'come land on my hand' bit from the promo

Edit: Also, don't pre-order. These kickstarter projects have a history of being vaporware, and the technology is only getting cheaper and better at a terrifying rate. I doubt the normal sale price will be $999

Thank you for the feedback.
I know to avoid these kind of kickstarters; I will wait till reviews from come out before making any serious considerations. Interesting that you don't think they filmed any of the shots from the actual craft. It's not something I would ever guess. I imagine a digital gimbal is the scan and crop type. Shoot 1080p, output a smoothed out 720p etc. But till its in hands of people on youtube etc, really won't know.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
If you are buying the product, their English is good enough.

Do you all own prop balancers?

One of my props flew away and I learned that'll happen if they're loose, so I bought self-tightening ones. But I learned that they'll get loose on their own if they're imbalanced.

So now I've got these self-tightening props, and I suspect they probably aren't balanced. What's the cheapest way to do the measuring part of balancing them? Can I use a nail on a railing?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The main problem that I see with the Lily is that the battery life is only 20 minutes, and is non-swappable. Even if it works perfectly, you'll have 2-3 flights, and then have deadweight for the rest of the day, unless you bring a generator along.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

" Landing is simple, regardless of what's below it. At a safe altitude, a brake stops the rotors in less than 0.5 second. This allows the blades to fold into their retracted position as the Sprite topples harmlessly to the ground."

Really though that's pretty neat if it works as intended.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What a waste of a weekend. Got sick and tired of loving with Multiwii so I adapted a Super-X frame to hold a CC3d board with a 3d printed underbelly:

components:

FC wired to Rx, powered and bound to the Tx:

Double sided tape to the CC3d board, signal wires connected:

Little power distribution thing cut out of a prototyping breadboard, as well as the 5v stepdown for FC and FPV stuff. Ugly but works:

Looking good, those little JST connectors got removed and soldered directly:

Then as soon as it lifted off the ground the tiny screws holding the motors in place sheared off of one motor, flying into another motor (tearing itself from it's wires inside the bell) destroying the 2nd motor too. I could replace a single motor, but not 2 ruined at the same time. gently caress my life. I should have just dipped the entire thing in epoxy.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Sucks, I feel your pain :(

Haha thanks. It has taken me far beyond sunk cost fallacy and into ego territory. This stupid little thing WILL NOT beat me.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 18, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sucks, I feel your pain :(

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
At what point do you guys usually replace your props on your quads? After any damage at all, or only when they're completely bent/busted? Is there any reason to as long as it's still flying alright? I'm talking about dinged up tips and stress marks, but they're still straight/level.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

the nicker posted:

At what point do you guys usually replace your props on your quads? After any damage at all, or only when they're completely bent/busted? Is there any reason to as long as it's still flying alright? I'm talking about dinged up tips and stress marks, but they're still straight/level.

What are you trying to do?

If you've got any footage, I would replace them early to avoid vibration. If you're doing acro stuff, it depends how much you value not having to do repairs.

In other news: http://www.reddit.com/r/djiphantom/comments/36fz1x/bought_p3_flew_maybe_10_times_for_a_total_of_60/

My buddy bought a phantom 3 for aerial photography (he's built quite a few multirotors over the years). It lasted him ~10 flights or ~60 minutes over the course of 2 days. :argh:

I feel for the poor dude, he's by no means financially able to eat this one.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just amazon-ed a Blade Nano BNF since I have a cheap 4-channel controller from when I was trying to dork around with a Blade helicopter a couple years back. I want to start getting into something bigger but figured I ought to practice on something that costs less than $1k first. I really want to get a phantom 3 at some point because photography and flying stuff are two of my favorite things, although that video sucks; hopefully they replace that motor for him.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Blue Loctite is your friend for keeping screws/nuts tight. That and balancing of course. I had to tighten up the ones on my flying wing motor almost every other flight. Bit of loctite, and it hasn't loosened yet over 10 flights. Auto or hardware stores should have it. Use Red if you never plan to loosen it.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

In other news: http://www.reddit.com/r/djiphantom/comments/36fz1x/bought_p3_flew_maybe_10_times_for_a_total_of_60/

My buddy bought a phantom 3 for aerial photography (he's built quite a few multirotors over the years). It lasted him ~10 flights or ~60 minutes over the course of 2 days. :argh:

I feel for the poor dude, he's by no means financially able to eat this one.

I've noticed that one of my motors is a bit "stiff" like the one in the video. Nowhere near as bad as that (if you give the prop a spin whilst powered off it still rotates freely, just doesn't continue spinning as long as the other motors). It still flies/sounds fine too; should I be worried? I guess it could be time to look at replacing the bearings...

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Cunning Plan posted:

I've noticed that one of my motors is a bit "stiff" like the one in the video. Nowhere near as bad as that (if you give the prop a spin whilst powered off it still rotates freely, just doesn't continue spinning as long as the other motors). It still flies/sounds fine too; should I be worried? I guess it could be time to look at replacing the bearings...

That's the thing, this quad arrived at his doorstep on Friday. It's not like he's worn the drat thing down, it arrived hosed up.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What are you trying to do?

If you've got any footage, I would replace them early to avoid vibration. If you're doing acro stuff, it depends how much you value not having to do repairs.

Oh I'm just starting to learn to fly, and crashing often. No cameras or anything yet but gopro+fpv eventually. Nice to know that i don't need to replace a prop for every little ding. I just wanted to make sure they don't have a tendency to do bad things, like sheer off in flight or cause a noticeable loss of efficiency.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

the nicker posted:

Oh I'm just starting to learn to fly, and crashing often. No cameras or anything yet but gopro+fpv eventually. Nice to know that i don't need to replace a prop for every little ding. I just wanted to make sure they don't have a tendency to do bad things, like sheer off in flight or cause a noticeable loss of efficiency.

You might notice differences in flight, or the quad sliding off in a direction. The real problem is that if you've got a damaged prop, you really don't know how well it'll hold together or what effect that'll have when it goes.

Another thing, the more dinged up your props, the more vibration. It's really annoying missing hardware after a flight that just rattled loose or watching your quad eat poo poo when something important gives.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

overdesigned posted:

I just amazon-ed a Blade Nano BNF since I have a cheap 4-channel controller from when I was trying to dork around with a Blade helicopter a couple years back. I want to start getting into something bigger but figured I ought to practice on something that costs less than $1k first. I really want to get a phantom 3 at some point because photography and flying stuff are two of my favorite things, although that video sucks; hopefully they replace that motor for him.

Flying a Blade Nano and a $1k GPS-assisted quadcopter are really not in the same ballpark other than understanding what the control sticks do. The Phantom 3 is a very very easy quad to fly in GPS mode since it will hover roughly in place if you go hands off the controls regardless of (most) winds. If you put in the wrong control and it does something unexpected, take the input out and figure out what you did wrong (assuming you weren't trying to do a close up of an tree/building/object).

Both are fun to fly and worthwhile, just I'm not sure waiting until you're "good" with the Blade Nano is a requirement before getting a Phantom.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Edit: Wrong thread.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 19, 2015

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

DreadLlama posted:

I've noticed a change since 1.x I don't know what's doing it but my framerate turns to garbage whenever looking at the ground. Flying, landing, inside the VAB - anywhere. If ground is being rendered framerate drops like a stone. I haven't anything like EVE/planetshine installed, and active texture management makes the problem worse. There were no framerate issues in 0.9.x.

Is there something I can turn off to get my framerate back up?

KSP thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688393

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

fordan posted:

Flying a Blade Nano and a $1k GPS-assisted quadcopter are really not in the same ballpark other than understanding what the control sticks do. The Phantom 3 is a very very easy quad to fly in GPS mode since it will hover roughly in place if you go hands off the controls regardless of (most) winds. If you put in the wrong control and it does something unexpected, take the input out and figure out what you did wrong (assuming you weren't trying to do a close up of an tree/building/object).

Both are fun to fly and worthwhile, just I'm not sure waiting until you're "good" with the Blade Nano is a requirement before getting a Phantom.

That's good to know. It's also way easier to justify a $70 quadcopter than a $1k+ one--the Phantom will have to wait a month or two for proper funding.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I flew my Apprentice S 15e for the first time today (the first time flying fixed wing in real life as well). I have a lot of area to fly in, but not a lot of it is ideal (all hills).

I just wanted to note for anyone who is using a third party dsmx module from oshpark, me or hobbyking on a bnf with SAFE; beginner mode is 100 on the channel you assign it to. I could find no documentation that stated this, just recommended settings for dx radios. I realized this five feet into take off but recovered fine. Also I've read to set your weights on your sticks to 80% (and lower for a full rate mode i guess).

I killed the throttle a little too early and didn't make it back to the runway, but everything around it was tall grass anyway and I was going slow as hell by that point.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I just wanted to note for anyone who is using a third party dsmx module from oshpark, me or hobbyking on a bnf with SAFE; beginner mode is 100 on the channel you assign it to. I could find no documentation that stated this, just recommended settings for dx radios. I realized this five feet into take off but recovered fine.

What does this mean? I'm curious but have no idea what you're talking about.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I just wanted to note for anyone who is using a third party dsmx module from oshpark, me or hobbyking
Just because a model plane/car/whatever was made by Horizon and/or uses a DSM2 or DSMX receiver module, doesn't mean you have to buy a Spektrum radio controller. You can adapt other modular radio controllers to speak DSM2 or DSMX by putting in a compatible module, or building a compatible module yourself.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

on a bnf with SAFE;
E-Flite / Horizon / a few other Spektrum-aligned model makers started building in auto-level flight modes into their planes and called it "SAFE"

A Yolo Wizard posted:

beginner mode is 100 on the channel you assign it to
Each radio channel for planes has an output value from roughly -100 -to- 0 -to- 100, where the zero point is center stick. If you want to turn on the SAFE flight stabilization, you need to set the corresponding radio channel to output 100.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Also I've read to set your weights on your sticks to 80% (and lower for a full rate mode i guess).
"Set your controls to output a shorter range from -80 to 80"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thank you :yayclod:

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/UAFUQ2B.jpg[/url][/timg]

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Looking for a quick diagnosis if anyone has seen this behavior before. I have a couple servos that are now dead and won't respond to signals.

I had a channel 11 crystal (72mhz 4lyfe :gbsmith:) but I was running the transmitter on 12, and all I got was "dead-bug" twitching. My best guess is something burned up while I was trying to diagnose that.

I did get the T-IFO flying with some old as hell GWS servos, of which 2 out of 3 didn't catch fire!

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

Arrest that rear end! posted:

Woa, that's awesome! What frame is that?

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

Scottw330 posted:

Woa, that's awesome! What frame is that?

http://www.armattanminis.ca/armattan-mini-cf-quad-tri-kit-morphling/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arrest that rear end! posted:

Hah, Is that all the parts you get in a kit? I just bought a Morphite 155 from them yesterday.