Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cojawfee posted:

The unsatisfactory experience is always going to be louder than the satisfactory experience. Plus, isn't Acer replacing the monitors with hairs and dead pixels? I remember back when you had to have a bunch of dead pixels in a small area in order to get a manufacturer to even consider an RMA.

True, but we literally have zero people who have gotten QNix/Korean knockoffs and been disappointed. I know a bit of that is probably due to lower expectations--you go in expecting a dead pixel or two as part of the deal, but there have been too many people posting in here about panels that are notably worse than those that show up in the QNix line and it gives some people who don't want to play a month worth of RMA roulette pause.

I'm really excited about the technology finally coming out, but at the same time I really wish it was coming out from literally almost anyone other than Acer.

As to their warranty, it seems that you need to have 4+ bad pixels to get a replacement, which isn't nearly as good as what you would get out of Dell for the same price-range, but is a lot better than what they're offering for Acer's lesser monitors (16+ pixels or something crazy like that). Don't get me wrong, they seem to be pretty good about accepting returns, but it does seem like their defect rate is extremely high right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Daviclond posted:

Windows is really lovely at handling this stuff and the only workaround was to cover up the HDMI pin (I forgot the exact pin number) that transmitted the "power off" signal to the PC using a small piece of electrical tape. This meant the PC did not know when the monitor was switched off.

Why are you blaming Windows here? The monitor is removing the "I'm here" signal, so Windows responds appropriately to the fact that the monitor no longer appears to be there. Would you rather it ignore the signal altogether and any time you plug/unplug a monitor you have to manually enable/disable it?

Complain to the monitor manufacturer for doing it wrong, don't blame the software that is seeing a monitor no longer there and reacting reasonably to it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

wolrah posted:

Complain to the monitor manufacturer for doing it wrong, don't blame the software that is seeing a monitor no longer there and reacting reasonably to it.
The problem is that it would be laughably easy for Microsoft to simply add an option to, you know, not do that and correct the issue that's caused by cheap monitors reporting as HDTVs and not proper monitors (which I have to imagine is due to the parts being cheaper). But despite the issue persisting for years and plenty of requests, they haven't bothered.

Arguably you can make the same complaint about AMD and NVidia, since it'd also be addressable via graphics drivers.

There are other OSes that give you options for it. Hell, even older versions of Windows behaved better.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DrDork posted:

The problem is that it would be laughably easy for Microsoft to simply add an option to, you know, not do that and correct the issue that's caused by cheap monitors reporting as HDTVs and not proper monitors (which I have to imagine is due to the parts being cheaper). But despite the issue persisting for years and plenty of requests, they haven't bothered.

Arguably you can make the same complaint about AMD and NVidia, since it'd also be addressable via graphics drivers.

There are other OSes that give you options for it. Hell, even older versions of Windows behaved better.

Having dealt with many of these kinds of situations over the years at this point I'm firmly in the camp of not coddling lovely vendors who defy the standards. Otherwise you end up with issues where the vendor says "works for me" because they're using something that tolerates their bullshit even though they're doing it wrong. See most of the XP->Vista problems for example, XP tolerated lots of things programs should never have been doing in the first place and then those assholes blamed Vista for it breaking when it was their own fault.

A lot of bugs and odd behavior can be traced back to workarounds for something else doing something wrong. Workarounds also eliminate a lot of the incentive for the vendor to actually fix their poo poo in the future, they just toss the workaround in their FAQs and call it a day.

If I had my way Raymond Chen would have a lot less to blog about...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Sure, but in the race to the bottom for monitor prices, there is zero chance that manufacturers are going to give a poo poo about what are, to them, fringe users, and institute additional hardware just to send a keep-alive signal to help out multi-monitor users under Windows. And let's be clear--the monitors in this case are not doing anything "out of standards." They are acting like a HDTV--a completely valid display option--and are acting according to those standards. Windows, however, is forcing undesirable action in response to those standards, though, which is a decision that's entirely up to Microsoft. The standards require a disconnect signal be sent when the TV turns off to notify the host of its status; it does not require that the host move all previously displayed items from that display and push them onto an active one.

There is an argument to be made that having the ability to disable the auto-disconnection routine is desirable even when using hardware correctly reporting what it is. I.e., a PC connected to both a monitor and a legit HDTV where the user may want to have icons, windows, etc., that live exclusively on the TV and should not be relocated onto the main monitor every time the TV gets turned off. There are additional logic irregularities that the behavior prompts, too--I have three monitors, and when Windows sets them to sleep, because they don't all sleep at exactly the same moment (different brands, so different response times to the power saving signal), Windows thinks its a good idea to rearrange my entire god damned desktop. Windows knows it's putting everything to sleep, yet acts in the exact worst possible manner in response to the disconnect signals that it just caused, despite the hardware involved doing nothing incorrect or out of standards.

It's a highly obnoxious problem to people using multiple monitors via HDMI, and quite frankly Microsoft is in the best position to institute a fix--because it's their software causing the issue. But they don't, because :effort:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DrDork posted:

And let's be clear--the monitors in this case are not doing anything "out of standards." They are acting like a HDTV--a completely valid display option--and are acting according to those standards.
The standards require a disconnect signal be sent when the TV turns off to notify the host of its status;

I've been reading the specs and have not seen anything to support your claim that HDTVs are supposed to handle hot-plug any differently and especially nothing that says hot-plug should be used to indicate power status.

DVI 1.0 Standard posted:

2.2.9.1 System Hot Plugging Requirements
When the host detects a transition above +2.0 volts or below +0.8 volts the graphics subsystem must generate a system level event (OS dependent) to inform the Operating System of the event. Additionally, if the DVI compliant monitor is a digital monitor, when "Monitor Removal" is detected the graphics subsystem must disable the T.M.D.S. transmitter within 1 second.

HDMI 1.3 Standard posted:

8.4.4 Enhanced DDC Sink
The Sink shall be Enhanced DDC read compliant.
The Sink shall be capable of responding with EDID 1.3 data and up to 255 extension blocks, each
128 bytes long (up to 32K bytes total E-EDID memory) whenever the Hot Plug Detect signal is
asserted.
The Sink should be capable of providing E-EDID information over the Enhanced DDC channel
whenever the +5V Power signal is provided. This should be available within 20msec after the +5V
Power signal is provided.

<snip>

8.5 Hot Plug Detect Signal
An HDMI Sink shall not assert high voltage level on its Hot Plug Detect pin when the E-EDID is
not available for reading. This requirement shall be fulfilled at all times, even if the Sink is
powered-off or in standby. The Hot Plug Detect pin may be asserted only when the +5V Power
line from the Source is detected.

DisplayPort 1.1 Standard posted:

3.3 Hot Plug / Unplug Detect Circuitry
The HPD signal is asserted by the DisplayPort Sink whenever the Sink is connected to either its main power
supply or “trickle” power.

DVI and HDMI both leave enough opening that it's not technically against the standard to turn off the hot plug signal when the sink is powered off, but they make it clear that the intent is to indicate attached/removed and that the source should act accordingly. HDMI says that EDID "should" be available any time a source is attached and implies that HPD should be asserted whenever EDID is available.

DisplayPort on the other hand is very clear, a sink that stops asserting HPD when the device is still receiving power is doing it wrong.

In all cases the HPD "monitor present" signal is the same level as the EDID standby power provided by the source, so a simple connection between the two pins internal to the sink is all that's necessary. To make it turn on and off with the display actually took more effort than not, so your claim of requiring extra hardware to do it right is incorrect.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 18, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I first noticed this on my new 34" displayport samsung monitor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

wolrah posted:

I've been reading the specs and have not seen anything to support your claim that HDTVs are supposed to handle hot-plug any differently and especially nothing that says hot-plug should be used to indicate power status.
HDTVs themselves don't necessarily do anything differently on their end, they just to tell the source that they're a TV vice a monitor and then go about their business; this Windows behavior still exists for many monitors which continue to report to the source in a sleep/power-saving state. Which is why it's mostly a Windows issue and not something one can expect the monitor manufacturers to fix--Windows decides that HDTVs should be handled differently than monitors are, despite there being no requirement or real rationale to do so. Hence why sleeping a "monitor" works just fine and nothing gets dicked up, but sleeping the same display when reporting as a "HDTV" often causes Windows to freak out and randomize your windows, and then re-randomize them when everything wakes back up. Which itself is not against standards, because the standards don't dictate what to do with displayed material on a now disconnected/sleeped/whatever display. It leaves that up to the OS/drivers.

The hardware bit is mostly me making an assumption: I imagine that the reason the cheap monitors often show up as "HDTV" vice "monitor" is because the boards used report themselves as TVs, likely because they are also used in TVs, and hence would be cheaper to purchase/manufacture due to economy of scale. There's no other reason I can think of for manufacturers to make the conscious choice to produce devices that report as TVs vice monitors. That assumed, changing the reporting characteristics would either require them to use different (assumed more expensive) hardware that reports as a monitor, or would require them to edit the firmware to do so, again adding costs.

It's a really easy thing to fix on the Windows side, they simply have elected not to do so.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DrDork posted:

Windows decides that HDTVs should be handled differently than monitors are, despite there being no requirement or real rationale to do so. Hence why sleeping a "monitor" works just fine and nothing gets dicked up, but sleeping the same display when reporting as a "HDTV" often causes Windows to freak out and randomize your windows, and then re-randomize them when everything wakes back up.

No it doesn't handle them differently. The displays that cause this problem are turning off the "I'm here" signal. Windows then sees the monitor as not there anymore, which is the correct response. If it's a secondary monitor it rearranges things because you don't want applications or icons getting stuck off on a monitor that doesn't exist, if it's the sole monitor that was just disconnected it defaults to a virtual 1024x768 display as noted in the Microsoft document linked in the post that started this discussion because Windows 7 has no concept of a headless system for obvious reasons.

The badly behaving displays are telling Windows they're no longer plugged in, Windows then reacts exactly as it would if you unplugged it. What type of display it is does not matter. The display should not be turning off the HPD signal when sleeping or soft-off.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

wolrah posted:

If it's a secondary monitor it rearranges things because you don't want applications or icons getting stuck off on a monitor that doesn't exist
Except sometimes that's exactly what you want, for various reasons, regardless of what the HPD signal is doing. We actually have an old laptop at work that we've refused to upgrade to Win 7/8 simply because it spends its entire life as a PowerPoint presentation unit, and it's so much easier to have it continuously try to display the slideshow on the external projector--even when disconnected--than it is to try to teach a bunch of 50-somethings about rearranging windows every time they power cycle the projector.

That this affects an entire class of devices should be enough to get an option for that, but nope.

e; I'm not saying it should be the default behavior or anything. But the option would be trivial to implement, and quite helpful to the class of people who it impacts. Left without, we end up with people literally taping over connectors and other physical-layer hacks to get the functionality they want.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 18, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Just for the record, is this why my NUC sometimes comes out of S3 sleep at 1024x768 on Windows 8.1? I have it hooked up to my receiver/HDTV for emulation stuff. Its infuriating because its entirely remote/controller driven but once in awhile the desktop ends up hosed up which requires me to hook up a KB/M and fix it all. I'll have to look into command line scripting to swap resolutions with eventghost or something.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Trip report: the 50" Seiki SE50UY04-1 has different innards from the SE50UY04, does not do real 120hz, and does not accept the SE50UY04 firmware patches. If you try to drive it at 120hz anyway it just shows "Not Supported". So much for that. Back to the store.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Any good squarish IPS displays out there? 19"-21" would be just right for me.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

sports posted:

Any good squarish IPS displays out there? 19"-21" would be just right for me.
From a very quick check,

The LG 19MB35P is about the closest I can find, 19", IPS, 1280x1024. The sort of thing that would be used in office situations with two or three to a desk.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWHRHYG

Also the Dell P1914S fits the bill as well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZ2AQOI/

There's a few others that are that size but I don't think they're IPS.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm toying with the idea of getting a three monitor setup in portrait mode, like this:

Does anyone here have experience with something like this? Do games need to support 3 monitors individually or is this handled by the gpu driver? I'm on Nvidia if it matters.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you have three identical resolution displays nVidia Surround can make them appear as one large display which will just work with any game that isn't idiotic about resolutions.

Unfortunately a lot of older games have hardcoded lists of resolutions they'll let you select so you may need to manually edit config files in some cases, and other games are just lovely about non-standard aspect ratios.

Very few games actually properly support multiple distinct monitors, usually this will be limited to simulators.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

What mount/stand are people using with their QNIX 2710s?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm toying with the idea of getting a three monitor setup in portrait mode, like this:

Does anyone here have experience with something like this? Do games need to support 3 monitors individually or is this handled by the gpu driver? I'm on Nvidia if it matters.

Generally the GPU handles the displays as one virtual display, it isn't universally supported by a number of games, and it's novelty wears off fast.

I had triple displays for a while and it was mostly an exercise in frustration, although I was on AMD cards and it was three years ago.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Even with three 1920x1200 monitors you are going be at about a 15:8 ratio which might do strange things depending on how the developers coded the view angle in game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Why not just get one giant 4k or ultra wide?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Schiavona posted:

What mount/stand are people using with their QNIX 2710s?

Buy this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HES611S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

The Deadly Hume posted:

From a very quick check,

The LG 19MB35P is about the closest I can find, 19", IPS, 1280x1024. The sort of thing that would be used in office situations with two or three to a desk.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWHRHYG

Also the Dell P1914S fits the bill as well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZ2AQOI/

There's a few others that are that size but I don't think they're IPS.

I'm looking for something similar, but honestly don't want to spend much money. (it's for old-rear end PCs) I'm not really into LCDs, how much worse would it be to just take a somewhat older PVA-Panel Display (possibly used)? There's quite a big palette of them used from commercial sellers and I remember they also looked quite good and had a nice viewing angle, but my memory might cheat me there. Any direct recommendations for something higher quality? Input lag doesn't bother me.

I did look at the EIZO Flexscan S1932. I could get one from a proper, commercial outlet (with warranty and everything) for about 40 bucks. Feels kinda expensive for such an old screen though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

It's kind of nifty, but these days, what's the point, when you could get a 40" 3840×2160 monitor and forget about bezels and configuration issues.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

HalloKitty posted:

It's kind of nifty, but these days, what's the point, when you could get a 40" 3840×2160 monitor and forget about bezels and configuration issues.

Except now you get 3 40" 2160p monitors and remove the bezels!.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

I got this & it works well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052AWGLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now all I have to do is overcome my laziness/disinclination to debezel them

http://www.overclock.net/t/1404407/how-to-create-a-vesa-mount-after-debezelling-your-monitor-qnix-qx2710

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Does anyone know if anyone makes DVI -> Micro-HDMI cords? I'm not having any luck finding one so I wanted to check before I settle for a cord + adapter solution.

Thanks!

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Any known tricks for making Apple displays play nicer with PCs?

I've got a 23" Cinema HD Display (with DVI connector) that has always worked almost flawlessly with my PC. It works perfectly in Windows and everything. It just refused to display my BIOS or POST screens, presumably because Apple didn't set it up to support whatever resolution my video card was trying to display those at. Not a huge deal; I kept a backup monitor on hand for BIOS setting changes.

I just upgraded to a a new GTX 970, and now this incompatibility is manifesting itself in a nastier way: my computer will get stuck in a reboot loop during POST if the Cinema Display is connected. If I wait to connect it until after POST, when Windows is already booting, no problems. But if the monitor is connected, something fails during POST, it reboots, and repeat ad infinitum.

Some googling suggests this may be due to some funky UEFI issues. Suggested solutions include updating the motherboard BIOS, video card BIOS, and disabling UEFI boot. I'm already at the latest BIOS versions, and disabling UEFI boot did not help. (The motherboard is an Intel DZ77GA-70K.)

(I posted about this in the GPU thread also, no solutions there.)

Are they any active adapters or interfaces between the computer and monitor that might resolve this? It sounds like a mere handshaking or EDID issue, or something along those lines.

Other options include unplugging my monitor every time I reboot (super ghetto), or getting a new monitor (not really what I want to do, as this monitor is otherwise exactly what I want and need).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a broadcast device at work, it can accept up to 8 HDMI feeds and turn each one into a separate TV channel that it puts through old-school coaxial cable.

We want to put up a different Excel sheet on each screen as a leaderboard for each team.

Is there a good way to give a single laptop 8 different HDMI out (maybe through a bunch of USB-HDMI adapters and some hubs) and have a way to locally reference what is being output to each screen?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ryangs posted:

Are they any active adapters or interfaces between the computer and monitor that might resolve this? It sounds like a mere handshaking or EDID issue, or something along those lines.

Other options include unplugging my monitor every time I reboot (super ghetto), or getting a new monitor (not really what I want to do, as this monitor is otherwise exactly what I want and need).

If it is EDID related you might be able to get away with buying a short DVI extension cable ($5 or less online at places like Monoprice) and yanking the DDC pin out. I think the Apple monitors signal brightness changes over that line though so you might lose functionality if that's the case. No idea what other impacts it might have.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

wolrah posted:

If it is EDID related you might be able to get away with buying a short DVI extension cable ($5 or less online at places like Monoprice) and yanking the DDC pin out. I think the Apple monitors signal brightness changes over that line though so you might lose functionality if that's the case. No idea what other impacts it might have.

Brilliant. I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zero VGS posted:

I have a broadcast device at work, it can accept up to 8 HDMI feeds and turn each one into a separate TV channel that it puts through old-school coaxial cable.

We want to put up a different Excel sheet on each screen as a leaderboard for each team.

Is there a good way to give a single laptop 8 different HDMI out (maybe through a bunch of USB-HDMI adapters and some hubs) and have a way to locally reference what is being output to each screen?

A single laptop? There are some off the wall type solutions: Think docking station with 4 video outputs, (which means business class laptops with docking connectors + 100+$ dock) paired with an external 4+ output video card in a ViDock type enclosure that hooks up to the laptop via expresscard or thunderbolt. This will likely be buggy and tend to not work very well, but that's about it.

That's likely to add up to far more $$ spent than a dirt cheap desktop with two video cards in it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, lots of people are doing this now:

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 19, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Still shopping for my game-y affordable IPS monitor. Got what may be a dumb question: are all manufacturers equal in quality? Is there any reason for me to disdain the Asus monitors and look at Viewsonics instead? Or should I just be looking at features and performance?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

Still shopping for my game-y affordable IPS monitor. Got what may be a dumb question: are all manufacturers equal in quality? Is there any reason for me to disdain the Asus monitors and look at Viewsonics instead? Or should I just be looking at features and performance?

Features like inputs and stands and warranty are the main differences. There are only a handful of actual panel manufacturers.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Finally pulled the trigger on a new monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KY...B-fL&ref=plSrch

BenQ 27" 2560x1440 IPS
Going to be using miniDP to DP cable with a 2013 rMBP. It'll be here Wednesday, I'm pumped!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tesilential posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on a new monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KY...B-fL&ref=plSrch

BenQ 27" 2560x1440 IPS
Going to be using miniDP to DP cable with a 2013 rMBP. It'll be here Wednesday, I'm pumped!

I also just pulled the trigger on a P2715Q used for $380, for now it'll dual-screen my B286HK but eventually I'm gonna get a pair of them and shift the Acer elsewhere :whatup:

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
I'm looking to upgrade my monitor: currently, I use a Nec 2490WUXI2 that I bought mostly for programming five years ago. However, it's input lag and motion blur make gaming real annoying and it's resolution isn't challenged by two 980s.

I can purchase brand new Acer XB270HU at ~66% list price. I'm definitely grabbing VR goggles later on, so this would be my primary gaming monitor with the NEC as a browsing secondary. Yea / nay? Anything by other manufacturers coming later in the year?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Gwaihir posted:

A single laptop? There are some off the wall type solutions: Think docking station with 4 video outputs, (which means business class laptops with docking connectors + 100+$ dock)

Also be aware that just because a dock has four outputs it doesn't meant they'll all work simultaneously - everything I've run into has a hard limit of two or three screens at a time

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dissss posted:

Also be aware that just because a dock has four outputs it doesn't meant they'll all work simultaneously - everything I've run into has a hard limit of two or three screens at a time

I think there's a Lenovo usb3 dock that can do more than 2 external displays at a time.

Edit: oops, nope can only do two external video sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Are there any more IPS G-sync monitors known to be on the horizon? I'm really put off by the QC issues with the Acer, ease of RMAs notwithstanding