Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

I'm sure the work of the underpaid dudes is as flawless as six months of work can be. I think when people complain about the "gravity" of a CGI creature they're more talking about how none of the practical aspects of a scene seem to be affected by the "weight" of the CGI creation. You acknowledged this yourself when you talked about lazy/uncaring directors ignoring this stuff in a "the eggheads will code this doohickey right" mentality. The directors can be just as lazy with regards to practical effects teams as well, but a metal arm covered in fur hitting a rock is going to cause plenty of noise, upturned dust, and general damage even if the director is holding the megaphone backwards.

Honestly, I think the biggest difference is that, with practical effects, studios only trusted tentpole movies to a Spielberg or a Zemeckis or whatever. Once you deal with CG costs, they can farm out movies to "worse" directors that have CG farms working for them. You didn't get too many large effect films from sucky directors back in the 80s as compared to now to poison the well among general audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

MisterBibs posted:

I cited people who inexplicably think 80sThing was somehow more convincing as an Alien That Can Literally Be Anything compared to NewThing, I didn't need for you to demonstrate it. :colbert:

Its not inexplicable, 80s thing is an intimately better portrayal of an alien intelligence than ReThing. Special effects don't even come into it, plot has 80s Thing being better

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Its not inexplicable, 80s thing is an intimately better portrayal of an alien intelligence than ReThing.

If this wasn't a JW-centric thread, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, since that's the most :wtc: thing I've heard in years, period. Since it's not, I'll just leave it at ":wtc:"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MisterBibs posted:

When the success (or lack thereof) is based on the domestic income, yes. As I said earlier, people mentioning "But it sold well in foreign markets" is as important as "But it sold well on DVD".
But it isn't and that's the point. A lot of people (yourself included, apparently) don't realize how important foreign markets are in modern hollywood. There's a reason why big-budget movies get filmed in places like China, and feature Chinese stars. It's so that the movie can then be released in China and make way, way more money. Movies are also regularly released internationally before they're released in the US (although a portion of that is to combat piracy).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

It's almost as if the whole "Nobody cares about the foreign markets" thing you disagreed with was ultimately correct. John Carter's 211 million worldwide doesn't matter when it only makes 73 domestically. Battleship's 65 domestic matters more than 237 international. Same goes for the positive examples you cite.

Pacific Rim, then- underperformed at home, is getting a sequel specifically because it made tons of money overseas.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MisterBibs posted:

When the success (or lack thereof) is based on the domestic income, yes. As I said earlier, people mentioning "But it sold well in foreign markets" is as important as "But it sold well on DVD".

Success is based off of income full stop, whether or not it comes from domestic or international sources is irrelevant and your example movies, as I have explained umpteen times, were not very successful overseas at all. The last twenty years has seen huge growth in overseas markets for Hollywood productions to the point that they now make up most of its income, say what you will about the suits in Hollywood but they generally follow the money, wherever it is, as such foreign markets are taking increasing precedence.

Did you actually read any of the articles I linked to you? The Wall Street Journal makes it clear how this phenomenon has impacted movie production, fears that sequels to previously successful movies like Anchorman wouldn't travel well scotched production of a sequel for ages. Overall Movies are now leaning more towards bombastic blockbusters rather than cheaper raunchy comedies or Rom-coms since those sorts of films reliant on dialogue and humor don't do so well abroad even if they do well in America.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 18, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ruby idiot railed posted:

It's actually really loving good. I went to it twice over the weekend and I'm not bothering to go to Mad Max until $5 Tuesday.

Lmao your dumb

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

With creature effects I feel like there's two competing problems. Practical effects look more like they're actually there, but CGI has more potential for animation, where a prop might be more stiff. You can see it in Jurassic Park, where the CGI raptors have a much more fluid and realistic motions than the physical props even though they look like CGI.

When you're dealing with something like stop motion or spaceships like in Star Wars, you're still having to composite the images together, and you still run into similar problems that CGI runs into. I don't think practical effects in that situation necessarily look more realistic, just differently unrealistic.

Practical effects have lots of workarounds though. Like in Aliens, they shot some of the scenes backwards, so instead of the facehuggers jumping towards Newt they started on her and got pulled away quickly, then editing reversed it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
edit: no, I'm not continuing a derail. If you want to convince me that But-It-Sold-Well-Overseas isn't the modern Well-It-Sold-Well-On-DVD, PM me a link of John Carter getting a sequel.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MisterBibs posted:

edit: no, I'm not continuing a derail. If you want to convince me that But-It-Sold-Well-Overseas isn't the modern Well-It-Sold-Well-On-DVD, PM me a link of John Carter getting a sequel.

i am so glad you took it upon yourself to heroically end this line of conversation, stubbornly refusing to read anything anybody is saying, and asking those who wish to change your mind to do so by completing a herculean task.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
John Carter's a bad example anyway since it's "budget" was inflated by hollywood accounting. Also mrbibs is a moron

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, I always thought studios appealing to foreign audiences was now a regular thing. A bunch of movies started to try and market to Chinese audiences and I vaguely recall some sites, usually right-wing, getting into a huff about that.

I just finished reading Disneywar by James Stewart and it also mentions that a lot of Disney movies pre-2006 made all their profit overseas and how it carried both the live-action and traditional animation departments during slumps.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is an interview or commentary where an Asylum writer openly talks about how that yes they have a checklist of things to make sure their product sells well overseas, and they won't actually give a go ahead on any project until a majority of things on that list is checked.

For some reason it kinda surprised me even though I knew studios already did this. I guess its kinda easy to forget how they have gotten making lovely movies down to a science.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Red Mundus posted:

I'm one of the 3 people on the planet that has never seen a JP film. Part of it was that as a kid I grew up in a lower income and was constantly moving with family so I never really go to see other movies in the 90's that had cgi as well (even alien I've never saw).
You haven't seen Jurassic Park or Alien? :monocle:

You need to fix that poo poo right now (RIGHT NOW) or so help me god I will climb through the Internet and cut you.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

effectual posted:

Practical effects have lots of workarounds though. Like in Aliens, they shot some of the scenes backwards, so instead of the facehuggers jumping towards Newt they started on her and got pulled away quickly, then editing reversed it.

Right, but with something like the animatronic dinosaurs in Jurassic Park it loses a lot of the natural movement to the dinosaurs when they aren't CGI. The movements get a lot more mechanical or puppety. The velociraptor prop that attacks Muldoon would look fake without the foliage covering up the attack and the quick cut when it jumps on him, for example.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

effectual posted:

Lmao your dumb

At least I didn't make this hilarious loving post you poser

quote:

That's what chinese tourists do, and it's why I almost never take pics when I go to somewhere cool, I just try to take the experience in with my own eyes.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

ruby idiot railed posted:

At least I didn't make this hilarious loving post you poser

Just keep being a chode i'm sure it will work out for the best.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think it's not so much the CG is inherently bad, it's that special effects firms are run like sweatshops and when directors aren't grounded by limitations, they sometimes have characters doing ridiculous stuff that's physically impossible like Legolas sliding down the trunk of an elephant or like, the entirety of the Star Wars prequels. It's also easy to get wrong. Sometimes the lighting can be off, or living creatures don't move right.

When you have a physical puppet, you don't need to worry about lighting it properly and make sure it is composited properly into the frame, because it's literally there. On the flip side, physical puppets can be very limited in terms of movement and can look fake themselves.

Ultimately, there is a place for both, and the realism often ultimately depends on the quality of the work done, and if the director is even going for realism. Most Hollywood movies are so insanely over the top that they come across as cartoonish. They really aren't going for realism.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Could the big difference here be that cars actually exist? Hm.

There was a great article I read once, about how in an era of stagnant wages, declining purchasing power, and ubiquitous all-in-one devices, the last way to elevate yourself above your peers is to believe that your media consumption habits/tastes are more refined. Nobody creates anything or does anything to be proud of, so it's all battles about which superhero movies are great and which are poo poo, which mainstream TV shows are subtle and awesome and which are trash. Grasping for something to let you look down on somebody else. I wish I could find it again.

I really wish you could find that article.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gammatron 64 posted:

When you have a physical puppet, you don't need to worry about lighting it properly and make sure it is composited properly into the frame, because it's literally there.

This is why we've never had to worry about lighting until 1999.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

computer parts posted:

This is why we've never had to worry about lighting until 1999.

That's not what I meant and you know it. Proper lighting has always been an important part of not making your shots look like poo poo.

That said, with something composited into a frame, there's a chance the lighting will be different from the rest of the frame, making it look off. And this could either be CGI or a puppet. It's just that the puppet is usually there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's not what I meant and you know it. Proper lighting has always been an important part of not making your shots look like poo poo.

That said, with something composited into a frame, there's a chance the lighting will be different from the rest of the frame, making it look off. And this could either be CGI or a puppet. It's just that the puppet is usually there.

To bring up an example from a few pages back; the Dog Alien design in Alien 3 was a practical animatronic edited into shots (I guess to speed it up and save time on transporting it between sets?) and looks completely off from everything else in the way people tend to assiciate with CGI.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

To bring up an example from a few pages back; the Dog Alien design in Alien 3 was a practical animatronic edited into shots (I guess to speed it up and save time on transporting it between sets?) and looks completely off from everything else in the way people tend to assiciate with CGI.

Yep, that's right. The dog alien looks like poo poo. That's a good example of a practical effect done poorly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Didn't one of the alien movies tried using an actual dog to shoot some of the alien scenes?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn't one of the alien movies tried using an actual dog to shoot some of the alien scenes?
That would be 'Alien3', yeah. They tried using a dog in an Alien costume for some of the newly-chestbursted Alien scenes. You can watch some of the test footage on the Alien3 bluray; I tried finding it online on a cursory youtube/google search and didn't see it, but I'm also on my way out the door for a job interview so I'll try and take another look when I get back.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neurolimal posted:

I've asked about that one before and it's apparently because it was composited optically and done fairly poorly. It gave the alien this weird green cast that somehow makes it look like poo poo CG (I guess because the lighting really doesn't match the rest of the scene, which is something that took a while for computer stuff to get right). It would probably look about a billion times better if it was re-composited digitally but there wouldn't be enough return on the investment for that movie.

EDIT: Thinking more about that; is the color grading that plagues every movie nowadays a way to better blend the lighting/color of practical and CG shots or is that unrelated?

david_a fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 18, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

david_a posted:

EDIT: Thinking more about that; is the color grading that plagues every movie nowadays a way to better blend the lighting/color of practical and CG shots or is that unrelated?

Not really.

There are ways of lighting/grading films that will make it easier for CG artists to blend things, yes, but generally, it's more due to directors copying each other a lot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Digital color grading became more common around the turn of the century (O Brother Where Art Thou was a big breakthrough) and that allows for easier and finer manipulation of the image than earlier chemical color timing approaches.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Here you go

For serious John Carter was a flop domestically and a flop over seas. No loving wonder it isn't getting sequels. Pacific Rim was a flop domestically but a hit overseas. Pacific Rim is getting sequels. Geeze I wonder what that says about the importance of oversea sales.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

More often as well colour grading is being used as branding for a film. Jurassic World, for example, it's immediately evident whenever I see a shot because of the metallic blue tint everything has, including the logo.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Itll be a while before someone tries to reboot john carter :(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Uncle Wemus posted:

Itll be a while before someone tries to reboot john carter :(

Just think of every movie that follows that structure a remake.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Terrible Opinions posted:

Here you go

For serious John Carter was a flop domestically and a flop over seas. No loving wonder it isn't getting sequels. Pacific Rim was a flop domestically but a hit overseas. Pacific Rim is getting sequels. Geeze I wonder what that says about the importance of oversea sales.

He's completely clueless. DVD was a loving cash cow 7-8 years ago.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Latest TV spot shows the baby triceratops gets away safely, all is right with the world

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Transformers 4 is the most solid bit of evidence to suggest that studios care all about the overseas income.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Karloff posted:

Transformers 4 is the most solid bit of evidence to suggest that studios care all about the overseas income.
It helps that there are a bunch of interviews with the filmmakers where they outright state that they care and why, and even detailing some of the specific steps they took to pander to international markets. Like it isn't like this is some kind of fringe internet theory, it's a confirmed fact.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's literally the main reason why those goddamn Resident Evil movies keep getting made.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
A Princess of Mars will probably never really get a good movie that makes money because it's been plundered for a century for OTHER stories/movies, so there's not much way to make it faithful without making it seem derivative. I didn't think the movie we got was bad, I wish we could get a few sequels :\

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

A Princess of Mars will probably never really get a good movie that makes money because it's been plundered for a century for OTHER stories/movies, so there's not much way to make it faithful without making it seem derivative. I didn't think the movie we got was bad, I wish we could get a few sequels :\

They completely missed the point of the character, and the tone of the movie was goddamn everywhere. It was a mess of a movie.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Burkion posted:

They completely missed the point of the character, and the tone of the movie was goddamn everywhere. It was a mess of a movie.

That's pretty hard to dispute, but you can see how it wouldn't have taken a ton of tweaking to get it to where it needed to be. Visually I think it worked pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stunts are looking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fs2LO9_6rg

• Locked thread