Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I find the dungeon numbers to be more baffling than anything else. FFXIII's second dungeon is unlocked shortly after the latest FFVI's dungeon, but its boss is harder than everything in the game for me so far in classic mode. Its only dungeon number higher than the first FFXIII's dungeon, and FFVIII's! I wish the wiki's had hp and stats listed, that would be the best judge.

Yeah, the FF13 stuff can get just plain brutal on Elite.

I went into the Odin fight on Elite with all 5* equipment, doing the Retaliate on Cloud strategy + double cut on 1 character, spammed the poo poo out of every ability I had, and only won with THREE SECONDS on the doom clock from a last ditch push from Braver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yeah, the FF13 stuff can get just plain brutal on Elite.

I went into the Odin fight on Elite with all 5* equipment, doing the Retaliate on Cloud strategy + double cut on 1 character, spammed the poo poo out of every ability I had, and only won with THREE SECONDS on the doom clock from a last ditch push from Braver.

Same, (5* weapons across the board, party in the 40's), though I didn't do the Cloud Retaliate shenanigans; I only finished it with three seconds on the clock after using every ability I had... 4 times more often than I came in with because I spent Mythril on two Continues to play the slot machine for a damage buff.

And I only managed that because I got lucky and he didn't use his dumb Shield until 15 seconds remaining.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Yeah, just beat the fight and it was ultra close for me, too. He didn't use the shield for the first ~20 seconds of the doom countdown, which allowed me to spam my hardest hitting attacks up front. Even with that:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Well this is interesting, I just pulled Tyro's Healing Grimoire. Is it a total waste or can I make a decent front line magic user with him now?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 18, 2015

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Solkanar512 posted:

Well this is interesting, I just pulled Tyro's Healing Grimoire. Is it a total waste or can I make a decent front line magic user with him now?

His ATK with the healing grimoire is garbage. Still, he makes a usable Aeris replacement now for you.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I did a single pull and got Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire. Along with that, my only other natural 5* is Official Ball. I basically never need to pull again. I wonder if I can beat Rinoa's event now.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
I did an 11 pull with Mythril under the Tyro/Cyan/Josef banner. Wow! Two 5*! Maybe one is Tyr-- Soul Sabre and Valkyrie? I should've bought a lotto ticket. :shepicide:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Yooo give me that luck

Let me touch you

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

miasmacloud posted:

I did an 11 pull with Mythril under the Tyro/Cyan/Josef banner. Wow! Two 5*! Maybe one is Tyr-- Soul Sabre and Valkyrie? I should've bought a lotto ticket. :shepicide:

Having done two 11 relic pulls with no 5*, and a few 1 relic pulls that got me a PLATINUM DAGGER and a GLADIUS, I hate you quite very much.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

miasmacloud posted:

I read this pull and decided to do an 11 pull to celebrate payday and how much I hate money.

Touching the post worked

I got a 5* zanteketsuanflkja or whatever the hell.

So woo more FFVI gear. Both of my 5* weapons are VI( Zantetsukan and Golden Spear), and pretty much all my good 4* (or upgraded to 5*) stuff is VI. So I guess I'm ready when Sabin rolls back around.

Why is the Zantetsukan a sword and not a Katana though? Seems weird to me.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Touched the post, dropped three bucks on a pull, got a 3* ff12 rod.

I'm reporting you to the mods. That wasn't lucky at all.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Spent another 10 mythril, got a second Swordbreaker (really good Dagger with FF6 synergy, need to decide if I want to have two of them or combine), and a grimoire! A healing one, sure, but it is only my second ever five star item and I am not going to complain about being able to use Tyro as a healer.

Edit: ok I just got another mythril and pulled a Balamb uniform. Some good luck up in this thread today

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 18, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish I had the Valkyrie, that would be so great :sigh: The Soul Sabre or Enhancer would rule, too. Or the Ice Whip. Or any character specific item what the gently caress I don't need four loving Judgment Staves :argh:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I wouldn't mind dropping money on this game if it was just cheaper. 30$ for ten pretend swords is too much, but at a dollar each it seems more manageable. :shrug:

I really want that shield tome and didn't get it even after spending 165 mythril. :negative:

Unusual
Nov 12, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I wish I had the Valkyrie, that would be so great :sigh: The Soul Sabre or Enhancer would rule, too. Or the Ice Whip. Or any character specific item what the gently caress I don't need four loving Judgment Staves :argh:

I have three judgement staves, but I have other 5 stars so maybe i shouldn't complain about that. In other news I need so many more power orbs before i can do the harder elite content.

Unusual fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 18, 2015

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Weeell, I just pulled two Sentinel Grimoires in one 50 pull. Can anyone else use them besides Tyro or am I now the proud owner of my first six-star project?

Sorry guys, I'd give one to one of you guys if I could :(

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

wall monitor posted:

Touched the post, dropped three bucks on a pull, got a 3* ff12 rod.

I'm reporting you to the mods. That wasn't lucky at all.
:( Please roll responsibly!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Update from the one guy apparently not playing at elite levels, I finally managed to take down Seifer, and it's true what they say about Edea being a pushover after him. Three of my team were level 30, with the other two at 29. Cloud had Cyan's 5* katana, and between that and my pushed up Terra and Tyro, I was doing close to 3K a round which helped immensely after the humiliating way he'd been treating me. Again, this is the first fight I've been in that felt as much like "hard mode" difficult AI rather than just a hurdle I wasn't leveled up enough to tank effectively.

Also, I'm more than a little bit sure by now that I will never catch up with the update schedule to hit 100%. I will most assuredly max out my core team, but there will always be new challenges and new characters to work on. :getin:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Heaven Spacey posted:

Weeell, I just pulled two Sentinel Grimoires in one 50 pull. Can anyone else use them besides Tyro or am I now the proud owner of my first six-star project?

Sorry guys, I'd give one to one of you guys if I could :(

Grimoires are Tyro-only, I believe. Much like certain other character-specific equips (Red XIII's relics, as an example) I wouldn't bank on multiple people being able to use it in the future.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
To the lucky rear end in a top hat who got 2 shield grimores just fuse them together because even if someone comes out that can also use grimores they aren't going to be able to use the character-specific ability that makes the book so drat good.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I wouldn't mind dropping money on this game if it was just cheaper. 30$ for ten pretend swords is too much, but at a dollar each it seems more manageable. :shrug:

I really want that shield tome and didn't get it even after spending 165 mythril. :negative:

Are you guys new to freemium games or what? FFRK is cheaper than PAD and most other gacha-driven mobile games.

I think Japan regularly has a thing where your first rare pull of the day is only gems instead of the normal 300, but it's only for one pull and I'm not sure how often it is, let alone how often it'd happen here.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are you guys new to freemium games or what? FFRK is cheaper than PAD and most other gacha-driven mobile games.

I've actually noticed that a lot of people were drawn in by the nostalgia hooks. This game came out not long after Dissidia and Theatrhythm proved that FF Nostalgia was marketable as hell, so we're getting a lot of new blood into freemium phone gaming that doesn't realize just how hosed the economy of "free to play" really is.

(Some of us, on the other hand, have played PAD and/or Monster Strike. At least with FFRK you never have to worry about rerolling from scratch because you blew some 30-50 pulls and can't even play the game at any appreciable level because all of your pulls were poo poo. 3*s and 4*s aren't that much worse in this game than 5*s, where in other gatcha-driven games, the rarest top-tier is literally essential to play all but the wussiest content. These games are designed with whales in mind: people who drop hundreds or thousands of dollars a month on poo poo like gacha pulls, continues, and stamina reloads.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 18, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

The thing is that with mobile games "cheaper than most" still tends to be loving highway robbery.
It's a lovely industry run by lovely people. The best you can hope for is a game that's still fun in a mindless kind of way even if you ignore the paid content.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I did spend quite a bit of money trying to get a Masamune. I really shouldn't play these games. :negative:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
So, as I found out with a bit of combing the official website (English, of course),they have a rankings list for all characters, sorted by stats. Only Lv. 50 stats are given, but since the flans evidently let you guys get most characters to 50 anyhow
THINGS I NOTICED (Note that this does not take into account equipment selection or ability rankings):
1. Josef has higher strength than Cloud. Actually, the only guy that beats out Josef strengthwise is Sephiroth.
2. Gordon actually has pretty drat good magic stats, edging out White Mage in mind at 2nd place and coming behind Rinoa, Terra, and Rydia in magic for 2nd place also. (Rinoa, Terra, & Rydia have an identical magic stat at 120)
3. 5 people have perfectly identical speed ratings: Terra, Rydia, Aerith, & Rinoa.
4. Rinoa, a hard line mage, has more attack than Terra, and for that matter, Warrior, a core class, also has more attack than Terra.

I'd post a link, but the piece of poo poo smartphone I'm using right now isn't letting me paste the URL, so as an interim, simply look up "ffrk rankings" and it should be the first result.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

1. Josef has higher strength than Cloud. Actually, the only guy that beats out Josef strengthwise is Sephiroth.
2. Gordon actually has pretty drat good magic stats, edging out White Mage in mind at 2nd place and coming behind Rinoa, Terra, and Rydia in magic for 2nd place also. (Rinoa, Terra, & Rydia have an identical magic stat at 120)

Part of the issue here is that both of these ignore Speed (which hardly matters at all) and defenses (which actually matter a fair bit). You can let bad defenses slide a little in Gordon's case since he's supposed to be a Red Mage archetype and thus in the back row (though if memory serves, his HP is utterly abysmal) but Josef's currently second-best strength is hurt a lot by the fact he dies to a stiff breeze. His relic SB literally killing him doesn't help matters any either.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

So, as I found out with a bit of combing the official website (English, of course),they have a rankings list for all characters, sorted by stats. Only Lv. 50 stats are given, but since the flans evidently let you guys get most characters to 50 anyhow
THINGS I NOTICED (Note that this does not take into account equipment selection or ability rankings):
3. 5 people have perfectly identical speed ratings: Terra, Rydia, Aerith, & Rinoa.
4. Rinoa, a hard line mage, has more attack than Terra, and for that matter, Warrior, a core class, also has more attack than Terra.

I'd post a link, but the piece of poo poo smartphone I'm using right now isn't letting me paste the URL, so as an interim, simply look up "ffrk rankings" and it should be the first result.

http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/characters/character-ranking/ is good as well, since it also includes the JP-only characters.

1. Josef isn't bad at all at the moment, even if his 5* relic weapon's soul break has him commit suicide. Even so, it is worth mentioning that any usefulness he'll have outside of the rare FF2 dungeons will go out the door the second the Figaro brothers arrive. It's also worth mentioning that Sephiroth also beats Josef out in HP, Defense, Magic, Resistance, Mind, and loses out only in speed by 5 points.

Sephiroth is kind of overpowered.

2. Gordon is basically a non-generic Red Mage in a game where being average in every regard is going to mean you suck, and it doesn't help that there's basically no weapons that raise both magic AND mind at the same time that he can equip. He's a jack of some trades, master of none and good only if you missed out on Aeris. Do note that we're getting the white mage with the highest Mind in the game soon (Lenna), and that even amongst non-event characters there's the really good Arc popping up next dungeon update (Shellga for a soul break is really nice).

3. A lot of characters get bunched into the same "speed bracket" in general on the top-end. Notably, the slowest non-generic is Luneth (a godawful 85, beating only the generic Knight and Warrior and not by much). Highest in the game is 154 (held solely by Locke), but second place is a 5-way tie between Tifa, Lightning, Vaan, Balther, and Tidus at 148.

4. Yeah, Terra's attack is godawful. TYRO has just 2 less attack than her, and his 5* relic weapon blows her Enhancer out of the water in terms of ATK (although her drastically higher Mind stat means she'll win out in magic by a long shot regardless)

It should be mentioned that Terra's entire gimmick of being a black mage that can use heavy armor is copied by FF4's Golbez and done much better by him anyways. FF4 bias?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Can't really say FF4 bias since Terra is still outclasses the other 2 mages FF4 has by everything but mind(Rydia at least has a niche in Summons and whips).

Whatever I still rock both of em anyways.

e:Also gently caress Nepto Temple Elite

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 18, 2015

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Speed not mattering one bit in this game is a bit unfortunate.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hello I'm new to freemium games and despite this one being well-presented, apparently fairly mild, and pushing a ton of my nostalgia buttons, I'm still pretty regularly grossed out by certain aspects of it and would much sooner leave it behind than spend any real money on it.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

If I hadn't gone into my google play settings and forcibly removed my account details so I can't drop £24 on 11x 3* items impulsively which is my heart's true desire, I would be beggared. freemium games are the satan.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Shoenin posted:

e:Also gently caress Nepto Temple Elite
The formations with 4x Lilliputians are rather annoying.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think the low 5* rates don't really help things with this game. $30 bucks is a little much for a bunch of virtual garbage, and that's coming from someone who has played freemium games for a while (and enjoys them for some reason :unsmigghh:)

It feels like they're giving us the Japanese whale prices without adjusting for the difference in market behaviors.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I mean if they put it at $1 for a draw, I probably would have spent like sixty bucks at this point... but yeah $3 for a single draw is not appealing unless I'm feeling really impulsive.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

wall monitor posted:

I mean if they put it at $1 for a draw, I probably would have spent like sixty bucks at this point... but yeah $3 for a single draw is not appealing unless I'm feeling really impulsive.

That's about where I'm at. At $1 a draw I'd end up spending at least as much as I do on an MMO subscription every month. $3 a draw puts it into the, "no loving way" territory.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Agrias120 posted:

That's about where I'm at. At $1 a draw I'd end up spending at least as much as I do on an MMO subscription every month. $3 a draw puts it into the, "no loving way" territory.

And then there are people that say well I usually go to the bar Fridays I'll just buy some draws instead for less, maybe buy something and drink by myself.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

pixaal posted:

And then there are people that say well I usually go to the bar Fridays I'll just buy some draws instead for less, maybe buy something and drink by myself.

Those aren't people.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Armitage posted:

Speed not mattering one bit in this game is a bit unfortunate.

Yeah, just for people wondering on the numbers, the base speed is 4.5 seconds and 150 points of speed is -1 second. This is for the bar to charge, it then takes at least 1.5 seconds for the actual attack or spell to cast, depending (SBs take really long). So that 50-60 speed difference is basically the difference between a 5 second autoattack cooldown and 5.33 autoattack cooldown or basically negligible.

On a related note, Warrior of Light is actually pretty good and worth leveling as your 3rd slot physical guy since he has pretty good stats and his SB is actually relevant.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

1. As others have mentioned, overall stats are what hurt these guys (though Joseph's record materia are pretty great)
2. See above
3. Speed really only shines when you're putting in commands immediately or autobattling. Event a 1/4th second delay with a full ATB bar can effectively offset a character's speed advantage though the ability to change battle speed will help with this.
4. Terra is not a fighter. Her relic weapon being a sword does not make a a fighter. She is and always will be a tanky caster, same with Golbez (whose relic is an axe).

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I think the low 5* rates don't really help things with this game. $30 bucks is a little much for a bunch of virtual garbage, and that's coming from someone who has played freemium games for a while (and enjoys them for some reason :unsmigghh:)

It feels like they're giving us the Japanese whale prices without adjusting for the difference in market behaviors.

Yeah their low rates are definitely awful and only made up for slightly by not being quite as vital as in a game like PAD, but at least it's cheaper to do a pull.

I think DQMSL might have the worst gacha rates I've seen so far. Some of their special pulls have about a 3% chance to get an S rank monster but it might just be referring to that event's units, and occasionally you get to do a guaranteed S rank pull (got Necrosaro that way :parrot:)

wall monitor posted:

If we get the special offer I mentioned earlier that crops up in Japan, there will be pulls for roughly $1 but they'll probably be a once a day limit, and not "gonna do 30 pulls for $30 in the next 5 minutes" kinda thing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

koolkal posted:

Yeah, just for people wondering on the numbers, the base speed is 4.5 seconds and 150 points of speed is -1 second. This is for the bar to charge, it then takes at least 1.5 seconds for the actual attack or spell to cast, depending (SBs take really long). So that 50-60 speed difference is basically the difference between a 5 second autoattack cooldown and 5.33 autoattack cooldown or basically negligible.

On a related note, Warrior of Light is actually pretty good and worth leveling as your 3rd slot physical guy since he has pretty good stats and his SB is actually relevant.

Speed stat not being worth poo poo doesn't stop Slow and Haste from being devastating effects though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I just find it odd that you can go into battle with easy trash mobs with your characters having nearly full ATBs and the monsters still attack first

• Locked thread