Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I like pushbullet channels when they exist for something I use. So right now mostly humble bundle and the custom ROM on my Nexus 6 which is handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Magog posted:

I like pushbullet channels when they exist for something I use. So right now mostly humble bundle and the custom ROM on my Nexus 6 which is handy.

Can't you add any RSS feed, as well? If not, that feature seems useful.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Need some help. I flashed factory image 5.1.1 onto my Dad's Nexus 7 (2012, wifi only) and did a clean install in an attempt to make it feel snappier (I think he was previously running 4.4.3?) but hit a wall. When it boots up, and I start the setup process, I can't get past the Wifi setup. I can connect to his home wifi fine, but once it gets to "Checking connection..." I'm prompted with the following error:

quote:

Webpage not available

The webpage at http://clients3.google.com/generate_204 could not be loaded because:

net:ERR_CONNECTION-REFUSED

The hell is that? The wifi connection is strong, and I tried power cycling his router/cable modem but I still get the same thing. Booting in safe mode didn't remedy the issue either. Help?

[edit] Flashing 5.1.0 to see if that makes a difference.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 16, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Oh right, the notification thing is nice. It shows up in the chrome notifications so I totally forgot that wasn't a native feature. I do love that.

Yeah I couldn't live without the notification sync with actions which is another feature he was going to lose moving to Android.

I find it's super convenient for the odd file I need to transfer to someone.

teagone posted:

Need some help. I flashed factory image 5.1.1 onto my Dad's Nexus 7 (2012, wifi only) and did a clean install in an attempt to make it feel snappier (I think he was previously running 4.4.3?) but hit a wall. When it boots up, and I start the setup process, I can't get past the Wifi setup. I can connect to his home wifi fine, but once it gets to "Checking connection..." I'm prompted with the following error:

The hell is that? The wifi connection is strong, and I tried power cycling his router/cable modem but I still get the same thing. Booting in safe mode didn't remedy the issue either. Help?

Seems like it's a connection problem. Use the wifi hotspot on your phone and connect to that.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 16, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Seems like it's a connection problem. Use the wifi hotspot on your phone and connect to that.

Good idea, because I just tried to do it after flashing to 5.1.0 and it did the same thing. Will update in a sec.

[edit] Weird, that worked! Thanks. Any idea why I was getting issues when connected to the home network?

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 16, 2015

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Can't you add any RSS feed, as well? If not, that feature seems useful.

Yes you can which is awesome. I don't use most RSS feeds on pushbullet though because I prefer to check in when I want rather than getting notifications for them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Weird, that worked! Thanks. Any idea why I was getting issues when connected to the home network?

No idea, but my guess is just weirdness with that particularly AP. As long as you can adequately connect to it now that you're actually set up and in Android, then I'd say don't worry about it unless it happens again.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Butt Savage posted:

I managed to get my hands on a used S3. Anything cool I can do with it? Aside from tossing it in the garbage and yelling SAMSUNG!!! at the top of my lungs?

Be that guy who uses a phone that's horribly outdated because "it still makes calls"?

quote:

I feel like being adventurous with it.

Be that guy in public? :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LastInLine posted:

No idea, but my guess is just weirdness with that particularly AP. As long as you can adequately connect to it now that you're actually set up and in Android, then I'd say don't worry about it unless it happens again.

I was able to connect to home network after setup, but the Nexus 7 had the WiFi icon with the exclamation mark next to it. For some reason I had to assign it a static IP as opposed to letting the DHCP handle it or something. Once I assigned a static IP, the Nexus 7 had no issues connecting to the home network.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

I was able to connect to home network after setup, but the Nexus 7 had the WiFi icon with the exclamation mark next to it. For some reason I had to assign it a static IP as opposed to letting the DHCP handle it or something. Once I assigned a static IP, the Nexus 7 had no issues connecting to the home network.

I'm guessing it worked before and now it doesn't? Well, now that you know what to do I guess you're okay but that is weird.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing it worked before and now it doesn't? Well, now that you know what to do I guess you're okay but that is weird.

Yeah, it was working fine without a static IP before on 4.4.3. The Nexus wouldn't properly connect to the home WiFi otherwise post update to 5.1.1 for whatever reason, haha. But yeah, it's fine now. Thanks for help again.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm using the multi window function or whatever they call it on my s6, top half of the screen has a live stream and forums on the bottom and I'm blown away with how well it works.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Google Butt posted:

I'm using the multi window function or whatever they call it on my s6, top half of the screen has a live stream and forums on the bottom and I'm blown away with how well it works.

Yup, don't know why Google hasn't made that an ~*official android*~ thing yet. Multi-window owns on my Samsung tab.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Is it a Comcast access point?

http://phandroid.com/2015/05/13/comcast-wireless-gateway-lollipop-bug/

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Butt Savage posted:

I managed to get my hands on a used S3. Anything cool I can do with it? Aside from tossing it in the garbage and yelling SAMSUNG!!! at the top of my lungs? I feel like being adventurous with it.
Try to find one of the first CM9 nightlies for it and flash it. That should be pretty adventurous. :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
After two years of successfully not dropping my Nexus 4, I dropped it.

Fortunately I have another one.

Is there an easy way to do a complete image of one phone and clone it to another one? The broken one's rooted, but I can't do anything with it since the touchscreen only half works.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It's a ball of suck to do this on android in general but since you're rooted you can at least pull it off.

Go into the recovery and make a nandroid backup. Use adb to shell in and find the backup, then extract the .tgz using adb pull.

Flash a custom recovery on your other nexus 4, wipe it, adb push the backup, use the recovery to restore the backup.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If you're referring to my case, yeah my dad has Comcast internet but I've got him on a third party router that I installed Gargoyle on to remote into. To my knowledge, the router isn't IPV6 capable with Gargoyle installed, so I don't think it was that.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Variable_H posted:

Be that guy who uses a phone that's horribly outdated because "it still makes calls"?

Be that guy in public? :shrug:

datajosh posted:

Try to find one of the first CM9 nightlies for it and flash it. That should be pretty adventurous. :v:

Alright then. Guess I'll try that CM9 flash and get some experience doing something that's not really necessary anymore. :haw:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kitten smoothie posted:

It's a ball of suck to do this on android in general but since you're rooted you can at least pull it off.

Go into the recovery and make a nandroid backup. Use adb to shell in and find the backup, then extract the .tgz using adb pull.

Flash a custom recovery on your other nexus 4, wipe it, adb push the backup, use the recovery to restore the backup.

Apparently I have the TWRP touch recovery :cripes:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

Apparently I have the TWRP touch recovery :cripes:

Fastboot flash a different recovery? Clockwork doesn't do touch iirc

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
I replaced my old phone with a Nexus 6 and I couldn't be happier. I want to get a tempered glass screen protector and case, it seems the general consensus for cases is any Diztronic TPU variant but what about a screen protector? Are there any brands I should completely avoid or are they all more or less the same?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Just get a $10 glass one off Amazon. I've bought 3 different brands and they've all been the same, all good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I got the skinomi tech glass for my s6 abd i like it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Are any of the glass screen protectors available with a matte finish? I have a basic plastic one on my tablet and the matte owns.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Butt Savage posted:

Alright then. Guess I'll try that CM9 flash and get some experience doing something that's not really necessary anymore. :haw:

They're building CM 12.1 for most of the S3 variants.

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon. If you want to pretend to care about stability, the last snapshot of CM11 was for the unified builds that they've since abandoned.

Don't bother with trying to find CM9 or something.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
With regard to bloatware and being unable to remove certain apps..

Is is possible to ssh into an Android Device with root access and remove the offending apps that way? Is it as simple as 'rm Bloat.apk?' Would that break anything?

What about opening an adb shell and doing the same?

disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about, mostly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

binarysmurf posted:

With regard to bloatware and being unable to remove certain apps..

Is is possible to ssh into an Android Device with root access and remove the offending apps that way? Is it as simple as 'rm Bloat.apk?' Would that break anything?

What about opening an adb shell and doing the same?

disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about, mostly.

Yeah, that's what you do. You go into system/apps/ and just delete the APKs you don't want.

It should be noted that that will break updates. You would probably prefer to rename them to *.apk,bak and you can change them back if need be to apply an update but that might not work going forward. Anymore changing anything in /system at all will cause an OTA to fail.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 18, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently using the Nexus 5 but have been itching to get a new phone. I'm really intrigued by the LG G4 but should I wait for the new 2015 Nexus that is supposed to come out?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AlexDeGruven posted:

Are any of the glass screen protectors available with a matte finish? I have a basic plastic one on my tablet and the matte owns.

Re: tempered glass protectors, just get one from

http://www.xtremeguard.com/Default.asp

They are priced ridiculously, but they always have 90% coupons. I've purchased them for my N4, N5, iPad Mini, iPad Air, iPhone6. And they are fantastic.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yup, don't know why Google hasn't made that an ~*official android*~ thing yet. Multi-window owns on my Samsung tab.

Also considering how most google apps (e.g. gmail) support this on Samsung devices.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

They are priced ridiculously, but they always have 90% coupons. I've purchased them for my N4, N5, iPad Mini, iPad Air, iPhone6. And they are fantastic.

I remember when the glass ones first came out for like $70. Now they are $4

Edit 99c lol

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have a Moto G that I haven't rooted or done anything weird to. I was playing a game while waiting in my car and part of the screen went blue and it flickered oddly and the whole thing went black. Couldn't turn it back on or interact with it in any way. After about 15 minutes I tried to boot it and it started, got to the Motorola globe animation but went black before it could fully boot.

Got home and stuck the thing in the fridge for a minute thinking maybe overheating issues, and when I tried booting it afterwards it turned on just fine. It worked, but I didn't do much with it, just checked the web browser for a minute then put it down. A while later I went to check it and it was powered off again. Tried to turn it back on and it got mostly booted up, screen turned blue, faded back to black, nothing.

I tried to do the "hold power and vol down for 2 minutes" to access some system menu, which worked, but when I tried to select an option I hit power instead of volume up to select, and it just turned off and hasn't been responsive to anything including a repeat of that procedure since.

What the heck broke and what can I do to fix it? I sent a message to my provider's support but I'm sure I won't hear back until mid tomorrow, and I don't expect much.

Edit: It was at like 70% battery when it first happened so I don't think it just ran out of juice. Also if it matters I believe it was still on Kitkat, I don't recall doing an update and lollipop doesn't look familiar.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 18, 2015

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Multiwindow is great. Of course, Samsung can't tell the difference between their rear end and a hole in the ground, so while starting a multiwindow session was easy on my S3 (just tap on the tab) and is easy on my Galaxy Tab S (swipe from the side of the screen), of course we had to get Samsung'd with the Note 4 (hold down the back arrow until the drawer slides open and hope whatever app is already open doesn't register that as an actual "go back" action).

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

If I ever use up my three-pack I got off Amazon I'll grab these. I really like how of the S5 they don't have the bottom center that loops under the buttons. Mine have that piece and it always bubbles up since it's so thin.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

nmfree posted:

Multiwindow is great. Of course, Samsung can't tell the difference between their rear end and a hole in the ground, so while starting a multiwindow session was easy on my S3 (just tap on the tab) and is easy on my Galaxy Tab S (swipe from the side of the screen), of course we had to get Samsung'd with the Note 4 (hold down the back arrow until the drawer slides open and hope whatever app is already open doesn't register that as an actual "go back" action).

You can also slide down from the top right corner. :)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

nmfree posted:

Multiwindow on touchwiz 4.3 was probably the best implementation so far, no need for apps like Linkbubble. Allegedly it works the same way on the Note 4 Lollipop but I can't get it to work that way with Awful which is the main reason I liked it so much.
E: or Facebook now that they baked in their own lovely browser into the app.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="445463864"]You can also slide down from the top right corner. :)
From the desktop all that does is open the notification shade, [edit: if a non-multiwindow app is open it does nothing,] and if a multiwindow app is open that just shrinks it down, which is a helpful feature, but not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about getting the multiwindow drawer to slide open in the first place.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 18, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nmfree posted:

3 ways to access the same feature on 3 phones from the same company. Incredible.

And you kept giving this company money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The next big thing is doing an old thing differently.