Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Fangz posted:

Emphasis added. If deep down, under her mask, she doesn't want to hand him over to Anthony? Then we have a problem.
Here's the thing we might have to come to grips with, ever since she took that makeup off: that deep down under that mask she's as much Carver as she is Stibnite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Bell_ posted:

Here's the thing we might have to come to grips with, ever since she took that makeup off: that deep down under that mask she's as much Carver as she is Stibnite.

So she's gonna disappear and not tell Anthony where she went? Or completely ignore him for a few years?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fangz posted:

So she's gonna disappear and not tell Anthony where she went? Or completely ignore him for a few years?
I doubt Anthony acted that way towards the Authority Figures in his life.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fangz posted:

Remember when she was going with Kat on holidays and then she disappeared without telling her where she went?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Remember when she was going with Kat on holidays and then she disappeared without telling her where she went?
Not exactly; Kat heard about it from Jones.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

maswastaken posted:

Not exactly; Kat heard about it from Jones.

Yes, because Jones was able to deduce where Annie was and went to investigate. Annie ran as fast as she could and started a magic fire on the bridge to prevent pursuit. It wasn't exactly "please inform my friend I have changed my plans for the summer."

If Jones didn't intervene, what do you think would have happened?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

She may have not agreed to go right-this-second with Coyote. Hell, it wasn't a planned thing, he offered it when she turned up there. She was just running away from the Court/Rey.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Since his reappearance, Anthony has:

• Called Antimony out on her cheating and acted to restore her academic career.
• Removed dangerous influences from her life, particularly the murderous and unpredictable entity, Reynard.
• Barred her from entering the Forest, a hideously lawless place filled with hostile creatures.

Calling these sensible and understandable steps 'abusive' says far more about the mental processes of Goons than it does about Anthony Carver.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

• Removed dangerous influences from her life, particularly the murderous and unpredictable entity, Reynard.
• Barred her from entering the Forest, a hideously lawless place filled with hostile creatures.

Calling these sensible and understandable steps 'abusive' says far more about the mental processes of Goons than it does about Anthony Carver.
Oh boy we have a new one here.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pistol_Pete posted:

Maybe I should just unbookmark this thread until Tony leaves I mean seriously

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Oh boy we have a new one here.

90% chance it's just trolling, the thread's shown its weak spot.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's cool that Kat is totally allowed to be here as part of Annie's support network and did no way whatsoever sneak her way in, even if contextual clues indicated the opposite apparently? Yeah.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Blackheart posted:

It's cool that Kat is totally allowed to be here as part of Annie's support network and did no way whatsoever sneak her way in, even if contextual clues indicated the opposite apparently? Yeah.
Kat was probably asking when Anthony would be back so she could leave before then.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well yeah, it's obvious that she doesn't like him. It's OK though, Anthony doesn't mind.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pistol_Pete posted:

Maybe laying it on a bit thick there, but yeah they are potentially reasonable actions from Anthony's perspective. I don't think that's under debate, just the way he handled it, blindsiding everyone and shocking Antimony to the core. And we also understand why it should be unfair from her perspective, which is why her reaction of subservience is disturbing and verges on Stockholm syndrome. It's neither clear cut abuse nor clear cut righteous action, which is a hallmark of a good, complex story.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think tony is a nice guy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wait wrong tthread, tony is an rear end in a top hat.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
No you had it right the first time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

CrashCat posted:

Maybe laying it on a bit thick there, but yeah they are potentially reasonable actions from Anthony's perspective. I don't think that's under debate, just the way he handled it, blindsiding everyone and shocking Antimony to the core. And we also understand why it should be unfair from her perspective, which is why her reaction of subservience is disturbing and verges on Stockholm syndrome. It's neither clear cut abuse nor clear cut righteous action, which is a hallmark of a good, complex story.

Antimony having a case of Stockholm syndrome isn't Anthony's fault though. I mean it is because of his pro laissez-faire parenting in the years prior, but it's not like he can do something about it himself right now, it's something Antimony has to deal with.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

YF-23 posted:

Antimony having a case of Stockholm syndrome isn't Anthony's fault though. I mean it is because of his pro laissez-faire parenting in the years prior, but it's not like he can do something about it himself right now, it's something Antimony has to deal with.
It is Anthony's fault in ways we understand that he couldn't possibly understand. He is known to be a frigid dork and therefore would never have done anything that he needed to do to be a compassionate parent and not freak Antimony out. So yes, it couldn't have been prevented but it doesn't mean we're unjustified from the Antimony-centric reader perspective if we think he's a giant jerk.

We're not done with this by a long shot either, it's possible that Anthony might learn an ounce of outward compassion somewhere along the line instead of remaining a cold robotic nerd. It's also entirely possible that Annie aping her father's coldness may play out in her advantage somehow. I like this setup even though it's a bitter pill.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Annie is finally doing some schoolwork and Tony even told her that it is good. His approach seems to be working. He will make her an efficient daugther. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kat's thinking there's only room for one robot master in this court. :mad:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

The abuse part was the part where he abandoned her. It was extremely traumatic, as evinced by Annie behaving like a person who has been traumatized.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

The other part lies in the execution of those otherwise reasonable things.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

maswastaken posted:

The other part lies in the execution of those otherwise reasonable things.
Yeah, he couldn't have just tutored her and been more gentle about expressing his concerns regarding what she was doing? Nope, gotta tear her away from the life she was living entirely and stick her in a sterile, un-friend-contaminated environment.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If he'd disappeared from his daughter's life in the way he did anywhere but this fantasy magical research institution, he wouldn't have custody of her when he returned.

The first thing he said to his daughter, after years of unforewarned absence then a sudden unexpected reappearance, was "I will be your biology teacher this year" to her entire class. (And then the first thing he says to her specifically is "Antimony. Go to the the rest room to wash that ridiculous makeup from your face.")

...and now all I've done is prove to myself that the people I'm arguing with are trolls. I feel silly.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

That's like the most obvious troll post I've seen on BSS, why are you arguing with it

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Uuuurgh why do you speak to the person who has a different opinion than me on a comic! Why can't we just have, like, the same opinion on everything it would save so much time and desperate posting

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On a different note, Anthony is wearing a formal suit here to speak to Annie.

He doesn't seem the sort to dress up without good reason. Unless he's going to a dinner party later I imagine it's a weird way of approaching how he feels about interacting with his daughter.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I dunno, he looks like a very formal guy. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what he wears under the lab coat sans the jacket. The rest of the staff generally dress like this as well.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Don't trust anyone with a Pazatar. They are out to get you.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Speculation on Reynard appears to be correct: control hasn't been fully handed over.

The dinner, on the other hand... it's a surprisingly normal way to inquire What's Up With This Because What The Hell, Man.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'm gonna guess that Annie already gave ownership to Kat.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, I guess he does have a dinner party later.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
that sort of conscious deception seems like something Annie couldn't pull off

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Kat is so happy to extend that invitation, it's heart-warming

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Blasmeister posted:

I'm gonna guess that Annie already gave ownership to Kat.

She already told Renard that he was free to leave whenever he wished chapters and chapters ago :ssh:

I'm actually legit surprised nobody has brought it up because its a legitimate sign that Annie's (and therefore Anthony's) control over Renard is no longer as absolute as it once was.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Phew. Renard is alive.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Annie's control over Renard is entirely because the doll he's possessing belongs to her, right? Surma made the doll for her, which might be relevant. Perhaps whatever that binding magic considers "ownership" can't be given away that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I wonder if Renard not cooperating means he remains in doll mode or that he's just chilling out in Anthony's place doing whatever.