Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Oxyclean posted:

Welp, Walmart had some Simpsons minifigs so I figured I'd grab some. Didn't really bother/know what to look for with a feel test so I grabbed 10, only ended up with duplicates of Homer and Milhouse, so that seems good.

Also, what does the VIP points stuff on the lego site get you? I'm still eyeballing the Red 5 for awhile, but I've heard I might want to wait till they do a double VIP points event or something?

It's definitely worth waiting for double points if you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What do the points do? And how often do they have double points events?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Every 100 points you get, you get 5$ of credit. So if you wait, you can stockpile a bunch of points. Every dollar you spend on a set or whatever gives you 1 point, but double points gives you a point every 50 cents. So a hundred dollar set will give you 10$ instead of five. And very rarely they'll do a triple point reward. I hope that made sense. :ohdear:

Edit; I'm not sure how often they do the double points, I think they do triple around Halloween or Black Friday.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

VaultAggie posted:

Every 100 points you get, you get 5$ of credit. So if you wait, you can stockpile a bunch of points. Every dollar you spend on a set or whatever gives you 1 point, but double points gives you a point every 50 cents. So a hundred dollar set will give you 10$ instead of five. And very rarely they'll do a triple point reward. I hope that made sense. :ohdear:

Edit; I'm not sure how often they do the double points, I think they do triple around Halloween or Black Friday.

October is usually double points for the entire month. Also be wary that points DO expire, but it's after something reasonable like 2 years or so. I'm not sure of the exact figure, though.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

xzzy posted:

It's a shame they upped the requirement to 10,000 supporters because it means only stuff that requires a big license is going to get the sufficient amount of support.

Haven't only like half of the sets so far been Licensed? those being, Ecto-1 and the Delorian, the rest being original? I know Doctor Who is coming up, but it seems like they're pretty good for doing random things.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Anora posted:

Haven't only like half of the sets so far been Licensed? those being, Ecto-1 and the Delorian, the rest being original? I know Doctor Who is coming up, but it seems like they're pretty good for doing random things.

Shinkai 6500 -- Based on the minisub
Hayabusa - Based on the spacecraft
Minecraft Micro World - Licensed
Delorean - Licensed
Mars Science Laboratory - Based on the rover
Ecto-1 - Licensed
Exo Suit - Original Idea
Research Institute - Original Idea
Birds - Original Idea
Big Bang Theory - Licensed
Wall-E - Licensed
Dr. Who - Licensed

I don't know if Lego has to license or enter into deals for things like the minisub or spacecraft, but of the 12 items, fully half are licensed, and only three are wholly original.

The voting is the problem, really--it's much easier to get support for a popular property, nerd properties in particular. And nerd properties are probably relatively easy to license as long as they haven't already joined up with Mega Bloks or K'Nex or whatever.
I think licensed Ideas projects should need 10,000-15,000 votes, while original projects should have a lower bar for consideration, like 2,000-5,000.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Pyroclastic posted:

I think licensed Ideas projects should need 10,000-15,000 votes, while original projects should have a lower bar for consideration, like 2,000-5,000.

That would be a great system, so many great original ideas don't see the light of day with the current system. Also anything Zelda or EVE Online related should just be deleted they're just wasted votes.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I got a really fat paycheck this morning so I went ahead and ordered the 24 Hour Race Car with 1 day prime shipping. I have a 4 day weekend and time to burn because I work 12 hour night shifts.

Monday can't come soon enough.

Machaon
Sep 2, 2008
So, is anyone still needing to finish their s13 minifigs? I got kinda lazy with them and still need quite a few. Also I expected them to last until June and that they'd be on sale at shop@home before they were discontinued like s12 was, but apparently not. I still really need a Unicorn Girl. I've got several to trade (including a hotdog guy), so pm me or just post in the thread if interested. I also have a few from s12. I'm in the US, FYI.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Trying to figure out how to construct a good Hall of Armor replica like this is driving me nuts. Admittedly I'm bad (read: new to) at MOCs, but this kind of capsule or module seems like it shouldn't be too challenging. I just want a nice movie-flavored display for the figs I ordered. The biggest issue I guess is the slanted lights on the sides of each compartment and the slight curve when they're put together. The curve is easy but figuring out how to make it work with only one wall in between each is a bit of a challenge.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zodack posted:

Trying to figure out how to construct a good Hall of Armor replica like this is driving me nuts.

Lego has you covered.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I actually ran across that while doing research on the Hall of Armor and all the MOCs that have been made of it. I'm not sure if I like the simplicity, although in and of itself it's a nice set. I want something more modular like the MOC I posted that can function more as a display stand. I actually have a very nice recreation done in LDD right now but the biggest issue is getting that curvature to work while maintaining only one identical wall between each display.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Zodack posted:

Trying to figure out how to construct a good Hall of Armor replica like this is driving me nuts. Admittedly I'm bad (read: new to) at MOCs, but this kind of capsule or module seems like it shouldn't be too challenging. I just want a nice movie-flavored display for the figs I ordered. The biggest issue I guess is the slanted lights on the sides of each compartment and the slight curve when they're put together. The curve is easy but figuring out how to make it work with only one wall in between each is a bit of a challenge.

Welp, I think I found my next build after I get the Kwik-E Mark done, drat you! Time to start pricing out all the Iron Man mini figs.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

If anyone in the UK would want to be so kind as to grab a Joker bag and mail it to the US, I would pay for postage/forums thing. I've done this both ways with UK goons with success before.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

kensei posted:

If anyone in the UK would want to be so kind as to grab a Joker bag and mail it to the US, I would pay for postage/forums thing. I've done this both ways with UK goons with success before.

Hey I got two of the Joker bags today knowing he would be popular enough someone might want to do this. Don't have PM's on the forum, but if you email me at this address but backwards we can sort it out!

Moc.liamg@56eloplawsamoht

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I would also like a Joker bag if I can buy one from anyone. I live in the UK but seeing as they're not doing it at toys r us this year I can't get the polybags now. No wh smiths for miles :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The summer sets for Star Wars, ultra agents etc seem to be on shelves now. I picked up the Naboo Starfighter today (plan to get final duel and shuttle later but they had those as well).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

The summer sets for Star Wars, ultra agents etc seem to be on shelves now. I picked up the Naboo Starfighter today (plan to get final duel and shuttle later but they had those as well).

Oh poo poo.

Edit: is there anything you saw aside from the 6 sets that have been shown? Any battle packs or anything? I heard there was supposed to be more. I definitely am going to have to grab the shuttle though. It looks great. Cool mini figs too. I like Endor Leia. Final Duel looks pretty lame but I really want new Vader and the Emperor.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 17, 2015

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

mattfl posted:

Time to start pricing out all the Iron Man mini figs.

All of them, including War Machine, Iron Patriot, and Iron Legion (if you count it) run you just about $100 including shipping, depending on who you get them from.

EDIT: I already had Mk 43, so it might be just a little bit more than $100.

I've got a good Hall of Armor "module" designed, but getting that curvature without making gaps in the walls is going to be kind of tricky.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 17, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I would also like a Joker bag if I can buy one from anyone. I live in the UK but seeing as they're not doing it at toys r us this year I can't get the polybags now. No wh smiths for miles :(

Joker was today only unfortunately. I picked up one for myself, but I'd have got more had I known. :(

Morrisons and Eason stores are doing them too, if that's any good?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

NESguerilla posted:

Oh poo poo.

Edit: is there anything you saw aside from the 6 sets that have been shown? Any battle packs or anything? I heard there was supposed to be more. I definitely am going to have to grab the shuttle though. It looks great. Cool mini figs too. I like Endor Leia. Final Duel looks pretty lame but I really want new Vader and the Emperor.

No, and in fact I had to ask about final duel because I didn't see it on the shelf, they just didn't have space for it. I also saw the flash speeder and assault carrier.

I just realized I didn't check the DC Heroes stuff and I wanted the batboat, oh well.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Final Duel looks pretty lame but I really want new Vader and the Emperor.

I'm digging the new Vader. I'm sure the figs themselves will pop up on BrickLink soon enough if you want to scoop them up. I don't think Final Duel looks too bad but then again I'm the guy who wanted Cloud City as a kid and that set is pretty atrocious.

Here is what I have so far for the Hall of Armor. Getting the walls inbetween the stands is still an issue, but I'm liking the look.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So my wife gave me MetalBeards Sea Cow, for my birthday, which looks like it is going to be an amazing set to put together, that is the great thing. The bad thing is I still have the PetShop to assemble, along with finding space and re-assembling close to 60 sets when I move into my new place. I have a few months worth of Lego ahead of me and I can not be happier, I just need to eventually get a room dedicated to Lego so I can actually assemble these big sets easier.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zodack posted:

I'm digging the new Vader. I'm sure the figs themselves will pop up on BrickLink soon enough if you want to scoop them up. I don't think Final Duel looks too bad but then again I'm the guy who wanted Cloud City as a kid and that set is pretty atrocious.

I guess to be fair it doesn't look bad as much it doesn't really have much display value. Just a loose diorama with no facade or anything. Not many little details or any sort of form to look at.

I'm kind of glad the summer line doesn't have a lot of stuff I want. I need to save some money and $100 for the shuttle is enough to spend for the time being.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

mitochondritom posted:

Hey I got two of the Joker bags today knowing he would be popular enough someone might want to do this. Don't have PM's on the forum, but if you email me at this address but backwards we can sort it out!

Moc.liamg@56eloplawsamoht

I'll mail you soon, thanks :)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty glad there isn't really any summer sets that call out to me with how much I've spent in the past few months. Slightly tempted to get the shuttle, I certainly like that design more the shuttle that's sitting on my shelf.

Looking at brickset's list of sets, there's apparently 8 more unannounced starwars sets (one being a sith infiltrator? I've never got the appeal of that ship, its kind of just boring grey blob) for this year? Is that a fall/winter line? When do they typically unveil stuff?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

So the Sith Infiltrator is a retailer exclusive (prob TrU), but no one has actually seen it. The stuff later this year is for the force awakens and I think it's coming out outside the normal release cycle, because they're doing some kind of big coordinated toy campaign. I think we will know more about that stuff in September. Normally the release for Star Wars winter is January in the U.S. And Dec in the UK.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Where's the Joker Polybag at?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shawn posted:

Where's the Joker Polybag at?

In the UK, given away free with a (horrible right wing) newspaper.

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/free-lego-with-the-mail-starting-next-weekend/

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

I guess to be fair it doesn't look bad as much it doesn't really have much display value. Just a loose diorama with no facade or anything. Not many little details or any sort of form to look at.

One of the things I hate about LEGO but love about MOCs is the level of detail that gets worked into things made by talented people. The Ultimate Collector's Edition models LEGO makes are really inspired and I think take a lot of things into account, but for a guy who just wants to make a nice castle of really detailed medieval village I get the same kind of diorama-itis from retail LEGO sets. And I'm awful at MOCs.

On another note I think I worked out how to do that Hall of Armor, if anyone is interested. There are gaps in the back of each module but they're very minor, and when working with curves it isn't like you can avoid that. When straightened out everything snaps together nicely, and it supports the addition of more modules, of course. I know with how monochromatic the bricks are it's a bit hard to tell the details.

Obviously an odd number of figs is going to display better because it allows a "center" module.

If anyone has any thoughts they would be appreciated. I'm not sure how it would fit into a larger set compared to the original that I posted earlier, but I'm sure there's a way to lock it all into place.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
:stare::fh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was considering trying my hand at a lego mad max inspired car, but I guess now I shouldn't bother.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Holy gently caress!

I need to make that tank tread car, seen any mocs?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hooolllly poo poo that's awesome. I was just wondering if I could make this, minus the ghostbusters theme. I'm not even gonna try now.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Flawless.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Finally got around to finishing the Hoth shelf of my display case. Needed to rebuild the turrets, E-Webs, and get all the minifigs put together!

"Imperial troops have entered the base!"

The one above it is Rebels, I have the Ghost and Phantom there, with room for the Inquisitors TIE as soon as I save up some $$. The top shelf is Tatooine, but I don't know quite what to put on the other one.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^ I like the display case, did you have that custom made?

Wow that was fast. They shipped the Tower Bridge Saturday and it is here already. And now I have to wait staring at the package for a week before I can open it.
Why you ask? Because we have guests coming over the weekend. 3 and 8 year old guests. With tiny hands that grab at everything. Lego is no child's toy, it is serious busin... oh wait.
Anyway, seriously I can't start building until next Monday, because otherwise I risk little kids tampering with it and losing parts... meh. On the upside, next monday is a holiday.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm pretty sure it's just your standard Detolf display shelf from Ikea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah OK, I was thinking of maybe getting that for my normal (non collectors edition) x-wing, emperors shuttle and various minfigs. However it tseems to have rather wide open slits around the door and the at the "seams" that will let dust in? Any experience re that?