Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Drifter posted:

Uhhh Wright's written some really drat fun and neat books. His Golden Age series is good and pretty unique.

He's legit crazy, not just a right-wing rear end in a top hat, but he can write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

He's legit crazy, not just a right-wing rear end in a top hat, but he can write.

Yeah. It just bothered me that someone would dismiss his writing because he's an rear end in a top hat or whatever. Call him an rear end in a top hat and choose not to read his books, fine, but don't call him an rear end in a top hat and say his books are assholes, too. :mad:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Megazver posted:

High-quality writing!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

You're mixing your arguments.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Drifter posted:

You're mixing your arguments.

And you support human filth.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

How crazy do you have to be to think writing a lesbian relationship is treason?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Are these people like O.D. gimmicks? I don't come into this thread all that often, just to get some neat recommendations about books. Finished Foxglove Summer, thought it was great.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ague Proof posted:

How crazy do you have to be to think writing a lesbian relationship is treason?

He thinks god is literally talking to him, so pretty crazy.

quote:

Are these people like O.D. gimmicks? I don't come into this thread all that often, just to get some neat recommendations about books.

No, I just hold the opinion that once an author goes far enough on the "I am a hateful dipshit" spectrum, it's perfectly acceptable to shun them, regardless of the quality of their writing, and I question anyone that can ignore all the vile poo poo these authors say in the search for "a good story."

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 17, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I should probably clarify that the only things I've read from Wright is the stuff that got nominated and I maintain that's genuinely horrible. Maybe he wrote something decent in the past.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What's the dumbest outfit Dresden has ever worn in the books? I'm thinking of doing a HoboDresden cosplay, and outside of fighting in the nude, I remember there was one point in an early book where he's dressed in a terrible dumpy tee-shirt and a pair of raggy sweatpants.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What's the dumbest outfit Dresden has ever worn in the books? I'm thinking of doing a HoboDresden cosplay, and outside of fighting in the nude, I remember there was one point in an early book where he's dressed in a terrible dumpy tee-shirt and a pair of raggy sweatpants.

He wore the cheesy dracula costume to Bianca's party.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's about ethics in fantasy novel awards shows.

Oh, the Hugos thing. Yeah, I was aware of that, I just didn't realise it had a name.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
He said dumbest outfit. :colbert:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I vote council bathrobe.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

one point in an early book where he's dressed in a terrible dumpy tee-shirt and a pair of raggy sweatpants.

Don't forget the cowboy boots on this one.

The duster would really tie the whole thing together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't he wear like a stained burger king shirt or something once? I recall that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yellow ducky boxers while escaping at the end of Grave Peril.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Don't forget the cowboy boots on this one.

The duster would really tie the whole thing together.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about the boots. So the outfit is Boots, stained burger king shirt and sweatpants, Duster if I can find one/bare it in the summer and a staff. Thanks thread you're all stars.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Oh man, I'd forgotten about the boots. So the outfit is Boots, stained burger king shirt and sweatpants, Duster if I can find one/bare it in the summer and a staff. Thanks thread you're all stars.

Go with a hockey stick as the staff as a nod to the tv show.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ornamented Death posted:

Haha, fair enough on MHI - I haven't read it, was just passing along the fact that it was free.

And it's important to note that for all their posturing, the Sad Puppies did not get their slate nominated, the Rabid Puppies (organized by Vox Day) did. There's a lot of overlap, so the important thing to look at is where the slates differ, and in just about every case, it's the RP guy that got nominated.

And it is important to remember that despite them claiming to be separate to deflect their bullshit straight into Beale, they were clearly coordinating and came up with the same core. They had similar logos from the same designer and theirs lists went up within 2 hours of each other. If anyone thinks this wasn't coordinated I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell them - particularly given the interview on AISFP

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You have to shave half your head for that one - it was at the start of Summer Knight, he is dressed that way because he let himself go and had half his hair burned off when the red court sent him a bomb in a pizza box

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Wasn't the armor in changes conquistador style complete with tights and silly shoes?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

General Emergency posted:

Wasn't the armor in changes conquistador style complete with tights and silly shoes?

It varied a few times iirc but yes at one point I seem to recall that.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Should be noted that their way of fighting said hypothetical elite is forcing a bunch of right-wing nutjobs into the nominations even if they can't write for poo poo. See: John C. Wright.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2015/04/16/im-not-vox-day/

Also, have you actually looked at the slate?

https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/sad-puppies-3-the-2015-hugo-slate/

Fear those rabid right-wing elements like The Lego Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, Jim Butcher, Marko Kloos (who pulled his book out because of those dirty right-wingers voting for him), The Flash pilot, etc.

Is Vox Day a piece of poo poo? Yes. Do Correia/Torgersen/Wright hold some views I disagree with? Yes. Does that mean I can't enjoy what they write? No - because I'm not a loving six year old.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My only real question is why on Earth this bizarre attempt to rig the Hugo awards to put one over on them wimmins is called "Sad Puppies". Like, what are the origins of that name in particular? I just about understand why Gamergate is called that (though I mostly feel sorry for online games retailer Gamersgate), but I can't see the connection here at all.

There is a lot of good (or at least entertaining) writing out there. More than anyone could ever read in a lifetime. Declining to read something, even if it's well-written, because the author for whatever reason makes you break out in hives, is a completely reasonable position, and not just for six-year-olds. I don't owe it to people whose politics I despise to consume their work, even if it's good work. I probably do owe them the courtesy of not insisting that their work is terrible without something to back that up, but that's all.

And, you know, if you're not bothered by a talented writer's odious politics or personality, good for you. We all draw our lines in different places, and that's fine too.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

docbeard posted:

My only real question is why on Earth this bizarre attempt to rig the Hugo awards to put one over on them wimmins is called "Sad Puppies". Like, what are the origins of that name in particular? I just about understand why Gamergate is called that (though I mostly feel sorry for online games retailer Gamersgate), but I can't see the connection here at all.

Basically riffing of the commercials with sad puppies in them.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2013/01/16/how-to-get-correia-nominated-for-a-hugo-part-2-a-very-special-message/

docbeard posted:

I probably do owe them the courtesy of not insisting that their work is terrible without something to back that up, but that's all.

Which is a large part of what they were asking for. The Sad Puppies campaign has been pretty transparent in it's message of having people read the works and then deciding on whether they thought they were worth voting for.

Instead, there's a lot of guilt by association because Larry's slate on #2 had one of Vox's works he liked (which wasn't that bad) and Brad had a couple of works that were published by Castalia (Vox's publishing house) on it. That combined with Vox deciding to call his slate "Rabid Puppies" (and paying the artist who did the Sad Puppies logo to make a similar one for him) culminated in the Sad Puppies campaign being painted with the same brush.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's a little disingenuous to dismiss "guilt by association" and "painting with the same brush" when the truth is more like "conspiracy to commit" and it's only after the backlash that Torgerson, Correia, Wright et al have been trying to distance themselves from Beale: https://naomikritzer.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/vox-days-involvement-in-the-sad-puppies-slate/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tornhelm posted:

Basically riffing of the commercials with sad puppies in them.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2013/01/16/how-to-get-correia-nominated-for-a-hugo-part-2-a-very-special-message/

Which is a large part of what they were asking for. The Sad Puppies campaign has been pretty transparent in it's message of having people read the works and then deciding on whether they thought they were worth voting for.

Instead, there's a lot of guilt by association because Larry's slate on #2 had one of Vox's works he liked (which wasn't that bad) and Brad had a couple of works that were published by Castalia (Vox's publishing house) on it. That combined with Vox deciding to call his slate "Rabid Puppies" (and paying the artist who did the Sad Puppies logo to make a similar one for him) culminated in the Sad Puppies campaign being painted with the same brush.

Bullshit. Nothing about this is the message, "read the works and decide." It's about putting in works that could not get nominated on their own honestly. They believe the reason they couldn't get nominated was a conspiracy, but for whatever reason, that's it. Period. Sure, some of the works are mainstream, but they basically nominated all their friends first, then filled in some spots after. This has nothing to do with merit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Call me old-fashioned, but not that bad isn't something I'd like to see on a fairly prestigious award nomination any way. The fact of the matter is, there is godawful stuff on that slate: Anderson, Correia, Wright, Kratman, Antonelli, Lerner - I wouldn't rate any of those anywhere near "good", let alone "praiseworthy".

asiperi
Aug 13, 2014
Might have missed this in Hugos chat, but is anyone here a fan of the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka? Someone recommended it to me and I just finished the first book, Fated. It was very quick reading, an interesting magic world, and I liked it a lot. The protagonist is a mage who can predict the future and runs a magic store, but not quite as flamboyant or goony as Harry Dresden. I got very Dresden vibes from it, including a little blurb from Jim Butcher on the cover, and a direct shoutout in the first chapter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

asiperi posted:

Might have missed this in Hugos chat, but is anyone here a fan of the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka? Someone recommended it to me and I just finished the first book, Fated. It was very quick reading, an interesting magic world, and I liked it a lot. The protagonist is a mage who can predict the future and runs a magic store, but not quite as flamboyant or goony as Harry Dresden. I got very Dresden vibes from it, including a little blurb from Jim Butcher on the cover, and a direct shoutout in the first chapter.

I

It's routinely recommended in here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Moderator hat on: I'm seriously considering some kind of restriction on sad puppies chat just because it feels like a dead horse.

For now continued discussion is fine I'm just getting sick of it derailing every thread. Any ideas on how to address welcome but please use PM so it doesn't derail the thread further.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

asiperi posted:

Just finished the third book myself. I'm really enjoying it so far, but I think I still prefer Dresden more.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, this is not the thread for that bullshit.

If any of you haven't read The Golem and the Jinni, you should. It's not really UF as in wizards solving wizard crimes, but it's a fantastical story in the city. It's set in the early 1900s New York and it's about a golem lady who ends up without a master minutes after she is awakened and a jinn who is released from a lamp a thousand years after he's been put into it and how they learn to live among humans. It felt to me like what would happen if J.K. Rowling (I'm thinking Galbraith rather than Potter here) tried to write a Neil Gaiman novel.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
^^^ Ooh, thanks, that's going on my list. ^^^

Well, the Hugos are going to be a topic of low-level buzz until August, when it's going to explode again. Maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea if it's a derailing problem?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Edit: saw the mid note

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Either a dedicated thread or a "don't talk about this at all" mandate are probably the only two workable solutions to keep it from running rampant across the forums like some literature-specific all-consuming fire.

I can totally see why it would be brought up here (as Butcher is one of the Hugo nominees) but I also totally get it being a disruption for this thread.

Megazver posted:

If any of you haven't read The Golem and the Jinni, you should. It's not really UF as in wizards solving wizard crimes, but it's a fantastical story in the city. It's set in the early 1900s New York and it's about a golem lady who ends up without a master minutes after she is awakened and a jinn who is released from a lamp a thousand years after he's been put into it and how they learn to live among humans. It felt to me like what would happen if J.K. Rowling (I'm thinking Galbraith rather than Potter here) tried to write a Neil Gaiman novel.

Definitely going to check this out. I like the Fantasy Detective Stories subset of urban fantasy just fine, but I'm definitely always on the lookout for more quality stuff from the Neil Gaiman/Charles De Lint side of the genre as well.

In that specific vein, Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay is also fantastic. (I love all of his stuff, really, but Ysabel has the distinction of being one of his few works to be set in a contemporary location rather than being historical fiction with the serial numbers filed off.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

docbeard posted:

In that specific vein, Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay is also fantastic. (I love all of his stuff, really, but Ysabel has the distinction of being one of his few works to be set in a contemporary location rather than being historical fiction with the serial numbers filed off.)

I love his historical fiction with the serial numbers filed off, and actually didn't bother with Ysabel because it wasn't that and I'd had my fill of urban fantasy at the time, but I'll have to give this another look now that I'm getting into the (sub)genre again in earnest.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
What's a good Charles de Lint book to start with? I vaguely recall starting one of his years ago, but it didn't click with me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asiperi
Aug 13, 2014

torgeaux posted:

I

It's routinely recommended in here.

Sorry, I saw the rec in the OP but I guess I must have missed the in-thread discussion.

I'm curious how people feel about the progression of the Verus series. I feel like Dresden has scaled up quite a lot in terms of world building, characters to keep track of, and Harry's power and importance compared to the world around him. Should I expect a similar epic scale to develop over the next few books, or is there more of a buildup? It seems like the first book has set up a lot of interesting stuff, but tbh there are also some plot lines that I wouldn't mind seeing abandoned.