Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

So the day 1 PC patch is fixing graphical stuff and making the game more demanding.

The same people complaining about graphics and downgrades on the official boards are now complaining they can't run the game with the patch.

Devs can't win can they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I shipped a game with a cloth map.

NwN had a great box set too, cloth map with a giant thick book.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dilber posted:

So the day 1 PC patch is fixing graphical stuff and making the game more demanding.

The same people complaining about graphics and downgrades on the official boards are now complaining they can't run the game with the patch.

Devs can't win can they?

Somewhere there's a Watch_Dogs developer with a massive shiteating grin on his face.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, watching all the downgrade dudes getting hoisted on their own petard is pretty funny. Sorry you can't run the game on ultra/1440/hairworks enabled at a steady 60 with your single 970. Turns out that chasing the bleeding edge is a double-edged sword.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The dev is one edge, the other is your rig.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I'm just afraid I'm screwed because I have an 860. Low everything here i come!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I just crashed while playing Gwent (extra weird because I'm on PS4) which gives me a chance to share some first impressions. Keep in mind I'm still on the tutorial island so the strengths of the game haven't really opened up yet.

Good:
+ Geralt's movement speed is more consistent than it was in 2, so now he's slow but steady both in combat and out
+ Parry timing feels good against humans, not too forgiving or impossible
+ Signs recharge quickly enough that I actually want to use them more.
+ Looks great, and in the first hour or so I've already passed by a bunch of interesting places that I want to revisit

Not So Good:
- The camera is still a little too close to Geralt for my taste, though I'm not sure if this is something you can adjust
- I had no luck parrying non-humans, and I can't tell if it's because there are usually a bunch swarming from every direction, or because their tells are animated and timed oddly, or because it's not possible
- Having two dodges mapped to two face buttons feels strange. Maybe it will feel more natural over time, but for now it's just a piece of distracting mental baggage during a fight and I'm not sure the difference between the two moves is worth it.
- Combat hasn't been retooled. Attack animations are still unpredictable and the camera slides in weird directions when you aren't locked in (and sometimes even when you are), though this is offset somewhat by the more reliable character movement speed. Now I know why reviewers said it felt like 2 but improved. If you had no problems with 2 you'll be happy, but if you're like me you'll just feel a slight disconnect between your input and Geralt rather than the last game's wall of unpredictability.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 18, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I just crashed while playing Gwent (extra weird because I'm on PS4) which gives me a chance to share some first impressions. Keep in mind I'm still on the tutorial island so the strengths of the game haven't really opened up yet.

Good:
+ Geralt's movement speed is more consistent than it was in 2, so now he's slow but steady both in combat and out
+ Parry timing feels good against humans, not too forgiving or impossible
+ Signs recharge quickly enough that I actually want to use them more.
+ Looks great, and in the first hour or so I've already passed by a bunch of interesting places that I want to revisit

Not So Good:
- The camera is still a little too close to Geralt for my taste, though I'm not sure if this is something you can adjust
- I had no luck parrying non-humans, and I can't tell if it's because there are usually a bunch swarming from every direction, or because their tells are animated and timed oddly, or because it's not possible
- Combat hasn't been retooled. Attack animations are still unpredictable and the camera slides in weird directions when you aren't locked in (and sometimes even when you are), though this is offset somewhat by the more reliable character movement speed. Now I know why reviewers said it felt like 2 but improved. If you had no problems with 2 you'll be happy, but if you're like me you'll just feel a slight disconnect between your input and Geralt rather than the last game's wall of unpredictability.

What exactly do you mean by non-humans? If it's monsters, you couldn't properly parry them in W2 either, right? Because they have claws and stuff and it's hard to get a sword between them and you.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dilber posted:

I'm just afraid I'm screwed because I have an 860. Low everything here i come!

Good news! The game looks nearly identical at Low quality as it does at Ultra, despite radical difference in framerate!
I'm on an OC 7850. I'll be doing the same. Just set texture quality to high and forget about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUGFmmikn4
Watch at 720 or better and you can even tell the framerate is vastly improved despite ???

There are differences, but for whatever reason, some of the higher quality settings are just unusually resource intensive. My guess is there is a single culprit, not unlike Ubersampling from Witcher 2. There's also a PS4 comparison on the same channel in case you want run the videos side by side to get an idea of how the quality settings compare. Looks like foliage on low. View dist on med. Advanced options (bloom/AO) off. Textures High.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Dilber posted:

Devs can't win can they?

Optimisationgate!! /s

Between this and the Project Cars debacle, it's been quite a fun few days.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, this is worrying. You're not the first person to report that the game is kinda crash-happy around Gwent. I wanted to spend so much time playing medieval Yu-Gi-Oh, you don't even know, but it seems like a major instability point.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
poo poo they downgraded the stability too?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Fatty posted:

Edit: Was originally an incredibly minor spoiler post here, but removed it.

http://www.twitch.tv/nukemdukem is streaming

Watching this. It's nice how they included Slavoj Zizek as a character.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

GrossMurpel posted:

What exactly do you mean by non-humans? If it's monsters, you couldn't properly parry them in W2 either, right? Because they have claws and stuff and it's hard to get a sword between them and you.

It was a cluster of human-sized monster claw dudes. It would make sense if you can only parry weapons (I honestly don't remember if blocking monster attacks opened them up for counters in Witcher 2), there's just no indication either way in game.

Also, another big plus in the game's favor: The wheel menu is actually responsive, and there are text descriptions under signs.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It was a cluster of human-sized monster claw dudes. It would make sense if you can only parry weapons (I honestly don't remember if blocking monster attacks opened them up for counters in Witcher 2), there's just no indication either way in game.

Also, another big plus in the game's favor: The wheel menu is actually responsive, and there are text descriptions under signs.

You couldn't parry/counter Monsters in W2. Only people with swords. I just loaded up W2 to check quickly - couldn't do it. Glad to hear about the better wheel though!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah, watching all the downgrade dudes getting hoisted on their own petard is pretty funny. Sorry you can't run the game on ultra/1440/hairworks enabled at a steady 60 with your single 970. Turns out that chasing the bleeding edge is a double-edged sword.

This patch did absolutely nothing to enhance the downgraded graphics in the PC version, so quit posting like it did. Uber (Super Sampling) is still disabled and cannot be activated in .ini either and the game is still looking exactly like the video shown a few posts above. And the art assets are all at the same texture size along with view distance being capped to the PS4 version. Nothing has changed, and if one reads the day one patch notes you will notice there is no mention of it made in there either.

So my advice when coming to a purchase of this if you have not bought it yet, and you own a PS4, that seems to be the edition to get unless modding and (maybe) an eventual edition which takes it back to the next level of previous trailers may come out, PC.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Utnayan posted:

This patch did absolutely nothing to enhance the downgraded graphics in the PC version, so quit posting like it did. Uber (Super Sampling) is still disabled and cannot be activated in .ini either and the game is still looking exactly like the video shown a few posts above.

So my advice when coming to a purchase of this if you have not bought it yet, and you own a PS4, that seems to be the edition to get unless modding and (maybe) an eventual edition which takes it back to the next level of previous trailers may come out, PC.

Why are you posting in here again.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh, great, YOU'RE back. Do you have nothing better to do?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can girls be witchers too? Haven't had this good a time in ages. I won't lend a ear for less than 10 orens. So I told him I taking you pouch or your pouch and your life. Flotsam doesn't need a witcher it has a garrison. My legs just start dancing. Your mother sucks dwarf cock. People the mutants pursuing me. I'll rip your guts out. Just listen. Strong as an ox. You've had your song care for a real diversion? Why does he need two swords does he lose them often?

That sword is for monsters.

Actually both swords are for monsters.

:goonsay:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Utnayan, let's discuss how you are an obvious shill for Sony.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Utnayan posted:

I will now vacate the thread so the honest posters here can talk about their excitement to play a good game that is about to come out.

Well that didn't last long.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Willfrey posted:

poo poo they downgraded the stability too?

I just spit water across my keyboard thanks

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

iGestalt posted:

Why are you posting in here again.

I'll be back to correct bullshit information being spread. Nothing has changed with the Day One patch graphically.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Can girls be witchers too?

From what I know, they can't. Or rather, it's never been tried. I think they said it would be too unstable or the effect would be different on a woman than a man? I'd assume it might boil down to "Yes, but men are dumb"

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Utnayan posted:

I'll be back to correct bullshit information being spread. Nothing has changed with the Day One patch graphically.

But it isn't Day One yet so.

Please :getout:

Oops. Double post. I am terrible, sorry.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oh boy the literally insane person is back. Also lol at "nearly identical" at low quality.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

9 in 10 boys died and that was a process that had been used a lot. I don't think anyone wanted to experiment on girls. They also don't know how to do it anymore although they could probably figure it out. They choose not to due to the failure rate.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Utnayan posted:

All hail the truthsayer.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

iGestalt posted:

From what I know, they can't. Or rather, it's never been tried. I think they said it would be too unstable or the effect would be different on a woman than a man? I'd assume it might boil down to "Yes, but men are dumb"

There's some deal where they can't survive the final ritual to become a Witcher, where they do the crazy mutations. Ciri, for example, only got the first part of the training and can't do the whole mutagens thing.

Also, please note that the Day One patch brings the game to the preview trailer standards at a blistering 60 FPS on my Voodoo 2.

:10bux: deposited directly to my paypal is fine, Comte, TIA

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

cheesetriangles posted:

Can girls be witchers too? Haven't had this good a time in ages. I won't lend a ear for less than 10 orens. So I told him I taking you pouch or your pouch and your life. Flotsam doesn't need a witcher it has a garrison. My legs just start dancing. Your mother sucks dwarf cock. People the mutants pursuing me. I'll rip your guts out. Just listen. Strong as an ox. You've had your song care for a real diversion? Why does he need two swords does he lose them often?

That sword is for monsters.

Actually both swords are for monsters.

:goonsay:

This brings up a question I had about Witcher 3: did they cut down on the annoying repetitive NPC dialogue? That's a real pet peeve of mine in games.

e: specifically, I'm talking about stuff like "can girls be Witchers too" or, like, that guy in Skyrim who keeps bragging about having access to the 'cloud district'. Every single time you walk by him.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 18, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I put a timer on my phone so I don't have to keep checking the gog site like some obsessive super nerd. :spergin:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kiggles posted:

Good news! The game looks nearly identical at Low quality as it does at Ultra, despite radical difference in framerate!
I'm on an OC 7850. I'll be doing the same. Just set texture quality to high and forget about it.

He might have meant a core i7-860, not a gpu. That's what I have, with a 770 graphics card, hope the game looks okay.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1159196/

After seeing this I'm rethinking my decision to keep my 770 and not get a 970.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Have any analyst firms etc made public predictions about how many copies they expect Witcher 3 will sell?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Shakugan posted:

Have any analyst firms etc made public predictions about how many copies they expect Witcher 3 will sell?

CDPR announced over a million pre-orders, I believe. Not heard anything other than that, though.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Shakugan posted:

They already beat a million preorders so I'm guessing it's going to do alright. At the very least they'll get enough sales to ensure we have an equally lovely and obsessive thread about Cyberpunk 2077.

Edit: Nvidia tuning guide is up: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Both the regular and premium editions have been consistently on the Steam top sellers list for days/weeks. They are listed separately so it must be throwing crazy numbers in there.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Shakugan posted:

I'd say that entirely depends on the performance of the Something Awful Truth Department.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Utnayan posted:

Don't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Does anyone know if the xbone shares the 7pm EST unlock time with the PS4 and PC? Its showing May 19th on my console.

Edit: Nevermind, I am bad at reading time zones in front of my face.

sw0cb fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 18, 2015