Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

I kinda dont want TtMaster to get jobbed cause I really like his character and design :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Patware posted:

I also really want to dig into the lore of The Tanktop, even though that would ruin the mystical certitude of it.

It's not really that complicated. You can wear it as an undershirt, or by itself, or as pajamas. It has no sleeves, so it allows full range of movement. It's simple. It can look good on any gender. You can probably use it as a tourniquet. You can potentially use it as pants. Its versatility is unrivaled in the field of upper-body wear.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The tank top is the lunkheaded machismo of the old-fashioned action hero, the hot-blooded willpower that frees the mind of self-doubt, distraction, belief in limits, and other moderately complex abstract concepts such as strategy and pattern recognition. It is the idol of a fool who understands only strength and the enemy before him, who triumphs solely because of his muscles. In other words, it is the exact attitude that inspired Garou to admire monsters and despise heroes!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Bongo Bill posted:

The tank top is the lunkheaded machismo of the old-fashioned action hero, the hot-blooded willpower that frees the mind of self-doubt, distraction, belief in limits, and other moderately complex abstract concepts such as strategy and pattern recognition. It is the idol of a fool who understands only strength and the enemy before him, who triumphs solely because of his muscles. In other words, it is the exact attitude that inspired Garou to admire monsters and despise heroes!

So what you're saying is we're about to see the birth of the legendary Tank Top Monster, Garou?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

So what you're saying is we're about to see the birth of the legendary Tank Top Monster, Garou?

Now I'm going to be disappointed as gently caress if this doesn't happen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There is no mystical lore. This is a universe where if you love crabs hard enough you'll turn in to a crab monster. These dudes just love tanktops and fervently believe the freedom of movement it offers gives you much greater power. They believe it so much it's true. That's it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So what you're saying is that everyone in OPM is an Ork.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Klades posted:

It's not really that complicated. You can wear it as an undershirt, or by itself, or as pajamas. It has no sleeves, so it allows full range of movement. It's simple. It can look good on any gender. You can probably use it as a tourniquet. You can potentially use it as pants. Its versatility is unrivaled in the field of upper-body wear.

How are you using your tank top as pants?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Gyges posted:

Maybe he means as a dress. Or wearing it upside down and just enjoying the full range of lower-body movement.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Gyges posted:

I saw this once. You'd think it would be ridiculously impractical, but all the people at the wet t-shirt contest thought it was a great idea, so what do I know?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gyges posted:

I think it's fairly obvious considering the placement of the holes

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eej posted:

So what you're saying is that everyone in OPM is an Ork.

Can you imagine the tank top hero that wears a red one? He'd be the flash but looked down upon by his brothers for not being ripped.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

tsob posted:

There is no mystical lore. This is a universe where if you love crabs hard enough you'll turn in to a crab monster. These dudes just love tanktops and fervently believe the freedom of movement it offers gives you much greater power. They believe it so much it's true. That's it.

So you're saying this world behaves with the same laws as Planescape: Torment.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dipwood posted:

So you're saying this world behaves with the same laws as Planescape: Torment.

It's the same concept of Tulpa, Thoughtforms and Egregores. It's a common theme, wishful thinking influencing reality. JRPGs and Final Fantasies do it all the time (X and XIV immediately come to mind). Japanese writers in particular seem to favor it but there's plenty of western fiction using it as the basis for their world too, American Gods being a good example (as well as every work that uses the theme "Gods exist because people believe in them").

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Saitama accidentally affronts the Lady of Pain.

What happens?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bad Seafood posted:

What happens?

She mazes him, duh.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
On reflection, I probably should've worded that question differently.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Super Serious Series Maze Running

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

On reflection, I probably should've worded that question differently.

I know what you were going for, but Saitama isn't the type to do poo poo like worship the Lady, randomly kill people, or try to break/take over Sigil. Pissing off the Lady is kind of hard, you really have to do something BIG (or worship) to actually get her attention.

IF it happened she couldn't eviscerate him, but she could pretty easily just portal him someplace else so yeah.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Elentor posted:

It's the same concept of Tulpa, Thoughtforms and Egregores. It's a common theme, wishful thinking influencing reality. JRPGs and Final Fantasies do it all the time (X and XIV immediately come to mind). Japanese writers in particular seem to favor it but there's plenty of western fiction using it as the basis for their world too, American Gods being a good example (as well as every work that uses the theme "Gods exist because people believe in them").

As near as I can tell, it's basically the polytheism part of the "D&D dun it" school of fantasy., though I don't know where it got there from off hand.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I'm not sure Garou has actually killed anyone yet

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jintor posted:

I'm not sure Garou has actually killed anyone yet

No?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Are all those people dead or just beaten up and unconscious?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
edited to remove possible spoilers

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 18, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think the Garou arc is worth a year of keeping the Murata thread spoiler-free.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think the Garou arc is worth a year of keeping the Murata thread spoiler-free.

Yeah I agree, just to be safe I removed it.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I'm wondering if monsters are considered people. at the least saitama seems to have some rule where he'll gladly rip the eyeball off a blubbering crab creature who ate too much crab but for some reason won't punch speed of sonic sound (lol) into a building.

that might be partially because apart from his second appearance where he blew stuff up to try and provoke Saitama, Sonic hasn't really committed any mass acts of douchebaggery and Saitama basically treats him at most as a pest

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I can't believe that the real hero of the series, Licenless Rider, just blew everything like that. Lame.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

What happens?

He punches her once.

fin

Jintor posted:

I'm wondering if monsters are considered people. at the least saitama seems to have some rule where he'll gladly rip the eyeball off a blubbering crab creature who ate too much crab but for some reason won't punch speed of sonic sound (lol) into a building.

that might be partially because apart from his second appearance where he blew stuff up to try and provoke Saitama, Sonic hasn't really committed any mass acts of douchebaggery and Saitama basically treats him at most as a pest

Some of the monsters use to be human but gave up/lost their humanity. I think the reason he doesn't kill Speed of Sonic and the cult armed with Hulk Hands is that they're still human. He's not going to bother catching a notorious assassin like Sonic because its still a hobby. He's not out there for justice or to keep the street safe, he's just out there to fight monsters because that's what he thinks heroes do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's not that Saitama doesn't have a sense of justice, it's just that he's a pretty laid-back guy with too much time on his hands.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Clearly Saitama doesn't consider him a threat. On the other hand, he keeps improving! Maybe if he keeps stringing Sonic along... Also, this keeps him focused on Saitama, and thus not causing others any problems.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Let's not forget that one time he destroyed an entire city because he didn't look where he was punching. Saitama is a hero for a hobby and he plays pretty drat loose with his moral compass.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Speed of Sound Sonic also doesn't really seem to be a villain. At worst he's an assassin, and even then Saitama's presence in his life has turned him into an anti-hero at worst. He's basically Deadpool with sexier hips.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Speed of Sound Sonic also doesn't really seem to be a villain. At worst he's an assassin, and even then Saitama's presence in his life has turned him into an anti-hero at worst. He's basically Deadpool with sexier hips.

When he was introduced he was working as a professional bodyguard, and he also fought the Sea King people.

To me it seems that He's not really bad or good, he is just a mercenary. The only illegal stuff he has done to date has been to try and get One Punch Man to try and fight him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

When he was introduced he was working as a professional bodyguard, and he also fought the Sea King people.

To me it seems that He's not really bad or good, he is just a mercenary. The only illegal stuff he has done to date has been to try and get the Caped Baldy formerly known as One Punch Man to try and fight him.

He did break out of jail too though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

He did break out of jail too though.

Ehhh, if somebody makes a giant hole in the wall, who WOULDN'T try to use it? Only reason the other prisoners didn't try is because they know they're not fast enough.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

"Oh he's not a bad person, he just gets paid to murder people"

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yeah, it's hard to hold busting out of the ultramax against him

Illuyankas posted:

I thought Mr Monier was a legit business guy and so when SSS is introduced as his bodyguard he is an actual body guard and thus preventer of death. If Monier is a mob boss or whatever your interpretation makes more sense I guess.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I can't believe that the real hero of the series, Licenless Rider, just blew everything like that. Lame.

I dont disagree with anything LR did in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Illuyankas posted:

To be fair, if you get Speed of Sonic Sound sent after you, you're probably a pretty bad guy. Nobody hires a world class assassin/ninja to take out saints.