Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Also also, it is shocking to me how often pilots across all branches get surprised by American SAM capabilities. It really highlights how we have been bombing out old-rear end IADS and not modern ones.
I think a large part of that is that a huge amount of Air Force doctrine from the top down is based on always being on the attack. I literally cannot remember a scenario I was asked to wargame, an A&SPJ article, or a significant case study I was asked to analyze that discussed a defensive scenario. It is almost an article of faith that the best solution to an adverse engagement is to either withdraw or reposition to attack as quickly as possible. Part of that is definitely the wars the Air Force has been asked to fight; when the ICBM doomed Air Defense Command to irrelevance and the Army scaled back their national SAM network, we lost the only major non-expeditionary mission the air services had been asked to take since the days of the Army Air Corps. The other part is the nature of air warfare: since the days of Douhet and "the bomber always gets through" it's been understood that controlling tempo and space by speed of action meant that certain advantages would always be ceded to the attacker, and that airpower can exploit those advantages faster and with greater lethality than any other force (until recently.) Surface to air missiles have, (again, until recently) constituted a fixed defense. Patton scoffed at fixed fortifications on the ground, but to someone schooled in air warfare, the idea of constraining yourself to certain times and spaces is anathema to the historically overwhelming effectiveness of air forces when employed in a rapid, flexible, offensive role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Godholio posted:

Oh, and no real replacement for the Pave Low in the rescue mission (kind of important in a real air war)

Forgive my ignorance, but on paper Osprey has longer range and is almost twice as fast as Pave Low, making it better at SAR, no?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
This discussion is fascinating and all, but y'all need to post more insanity.

Example: giving new meanings to the concept of "bush flying":

You're looking at a Viggen below treetop level, somewhere up north. Possibly at the Vidsel Test Range, but who knows, the regulations weren't all that strict up there.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 18, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TheFluff posted:

This discussion is fascinating and all, but y'all need to post more insanity.

Example: giving new meanings to the concept of "bush flying":

You're looking at a Viggen below treetop level, somewhere up north. Probably at the Vidsel Test Range.

"And what was the reason for your loss of aircraft, Löjtnant Norgren? I see from your report that you ingested some sort of animal into your engine intake...was it a bird of some kind?"

"No, Major...a very fat squirrel."

"The Department of Agriculture will be pleased to hear the squirrels are so fat. Go on, find yourself another plane."

-----

"Our missile troops practice once or twice a year, firing at target drones that plod along in a straight line up where everyone can see them. The NATO fighters fly between the trees. If the antiaircraft missiles on either side worked as well as their makers said, every airplane in the world would have been shot down twice over by now."

You can usually tell the skill of an air force by what they allow their pilots to do with their aircraft. And yes, by that metric, the USAF got some 'splainin' to do*.

* dudes like Bud Holland notwithstanding. -_o

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 18, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Örlogskapten

:eng101: Örlogskapten is only used in the navy; the equivalent in the air force is simply a major (same spelling in Swedish). "Örlog" is an old Norse/old Germanic term for "oathbreaker" or something like that, but it's come to mean "naval warfare" in modern Swedish.

Also, aircraft and pilot loss rates were absolutely appalling in the Swedish air force in the 50's/60's. Out of 661 Saab J 29 Tunnans built, 242 were written off after accidents of various kinds, in which 99 pilots died. Safety thinking and regulations steadily improved during the Cold War but extreme low flying with the Viggen remained a part of the doctrine well into the 90's, even though regulations during the 80's and 90's formally restricted altitude minimums to 30 meters AGL over land (20 meters over water), up from an earlier 20/10 meters. This was as eyeballed by the pilot though, so there some (or, well, a lot) of wriggle room, especially up north where there weren't a lot of people to complain about it.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 18, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

-----

"Our missile troops practice once or twice a year, firing at target drones that plod along in a straight line up where everyone can see them. The NATO fighters fly between the trees. If the antiaircraft missiles on either side worked as well as their makers said, every airplane in the world would have been shot down twice over by now."

You can usually tell the skill of an air force by what they allow their pilots to do with their aircraft. And yes, by that metric, the USAF got some 'splainin' to do*.

* dudes like Bud Holland notwithstanding. -_o

Is it bad that I not only know what book that quote is from, but even roughly where in the book it appears?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TheFluff posted:

:eng101: Örlogskapten is only used in the navy...

Fixed. I just Wiki'ed 'Swedish Military Ranks' and c/p'ed the one that sounded the most Swedish that didn't have 'General' in it.

azflyboy posted:

Is it bad that I not only know what book that quote is from, but even roughly where in the book it appears?

Considering I had a dogeared paperback copy of RSR that I eventually broke in half along its spine, no. What worries me is that I had something like 80% of the passage locked in memory, only using a Google search to get it to 100% accuracy by selectively bracketing parts I knew verbatim in quotation marks.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 18, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

"Sweet, now stealth THESE up and include an internal weapons bay and we'll talk! ...yes, internal. No, not the wing device!" -how my personal DoD would operate.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

"Sweet, now stealth THESE up and include an internal weapons bay and we'll talk! ...yes, internal. No, not the wing device!" -how my personal DoD would operate.

Pfft, not wanting wing-mounted stealth air-torpedo tubes for your 'missile bay'

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Yes. Yes, this is insane.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

:stonklol:

That pilot is insane.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
God that downwards lurch after he touches it

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Something about old pilots and bold pilots...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Gibfender posted:

God that downwards lurch after he touches it

That was commanded, you can see the elevator tilted after it comes into view.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Oh yeah, saw this flying out of LaGuardia yesterday:

I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that he's got his name painted in big loving letters on his jet. What an egomaniac.

edit: if you can't read the lettering in my terrible cell phone pic, that's Donald Trump's plane.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 18, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mortabis posted:

I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that he's got his name painted in big loving letters on his jet. What an egomaniac.

edit: if you can't read the lettering in my terrible cell phone pic, that's Donald Trump's plane.

There's an episode of Mighty Planes that aired on Smithsonian Channel that will make you hate him even more.

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/mighty-planes/trump-757/1003002/3398551

The way that everyone just walks on eggshells around him the whole drat time is infuriating.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mortabis posted:

His dinky 727-100 was sexier:

The 757 used to belong to Paul Allen (the MS one), but trump bought it for $100M.

To be kind of 'fair' to Trump, the livery is that of 'Trump Shuttle' his defunct airline that was supposed to compete with PanAm Shuttle, he kind of bought most of the planes and airline facilities from Eastern as a job lot.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Listen, if I had the wealth afford a jet, I'd paint all sorts of dumb poo poo on it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Wow I just realized, that plane wasn't taxiing--that's where he parks it. Half the passengers leaving LaGuardia get an eyeful of it. That's fantastic.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
If the interior of the plane follows the standard Trump School of Interior Design, it would be far uglier then anything you could paint on the exterior. That man's love of gold leaf is horrifying.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Mortabis posted:

Everyone knows that in :britain:, "Trump" means "fart", right? Right?

Just, y'know, checking...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I found some photos of the interior, it's ... surprisingly restrained, for something that's got gold-plated everything. http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-plane-2011-8?op=1

best caption is "This long table is great for mile-high board meetings"

:laugh:

holocaust bloopers posted:

Listen, if I had the wealth afford a jet, I'd paint all sorts of dumb poo poo on it.

Three Wolf Moon-style or enormous penis-style? This is important!

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 18, 2015

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I'd totally get that fancyass Deus Ex-esque paintjob on mine

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'd just leave it chromate green, my favorite.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The answer is always polished aluminum.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

Three Wolf Moon with enormous penis. Just because I can

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

His dinky 727-100 was sexier:

The 757 used to belong to Paul Allen (the MS one), but trump bought it for $100M.

To be kind of 'fair' to Trump, the livery is that of 'Trump Shuttle' his defunct airline that was supposed to compete with PanAm Shuttle, he kind of bought most of the planes and airline facilities from Eastern as a job lot.

Paul Allen has so many cool airplanes he just started charging admission for his hangar.

Note to Jay Leno: please do this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

The answer is always polished aluminum.

Well if American doesn't want it anymore...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Classic racing liveries; dicks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Classic racing liveries; dicks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's important to get your D-ICKS wet from time to time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Martini livery looks great on everything.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Psion posted:

Reaper with a giant penis chalked on it is still on my scale model to do list.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

azazello posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but on paper Osprey has longer range and is almost twice as fast as Pave Low, making it better at SAR, no?

I have some doubts over how well it'll perform in certain situations. But yes, those are definitely huge advantages.

Part of my concern was over its size, but it's actually a bit smaller than I thought now that I've actually looked up the specs. "Only" about 12 feet wider than a Pave Low.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Reaper with a giant penis chalked on it is still on my scale model to do list.

This has happened multiple times, albeit more often in dust than with actual chalk.

I'm just disappointed I never got a chance to grab a picture of it

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
A400M crash on test flight may have been caused by software error :(

azazello fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 19, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

I have some doubts over how well it'll perform in certain situations. But yes, those are definitely huge advantages.

Part of my concern was over its size, but it's actually a bit smaller than I thought now that I've actually looked up the specs. "Only" about 12 feet wider than a Pave Low.

It would seem to me that, yeah - range and top speed are important. But wouldn't the rate at which it can transition from forward flight to land/take off transition back to forward flight be, maybe, more important? There's trade offs in everything.

How does a Osprey compare?

Maybe they should put some JATO rockets on the Osprey to find out

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 19, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Tide posted:

It would seem to me that, yeah - range and top speed are important. But wouldn't the rate at which it can transition from forward flight to land/take off transition back to forward flight be, maybe, more important? There's trade offs in everything.

How does a Osprey compare?

Maybe they should put some JATO rockets on the Osprey to find out

It's pretty seamless. I've watched HMX-1 V-22s take off from a parking lot next to Soldier Field in Chicago and many people wouldn't even be aware the transition is happening until the thing was already in level flight. You also have to remember that the H-53s in question were/are loving massive helicopters (the MH-53M could carry up to 38 combat troops). If there is a difference, it's probably pretty negligible.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
One of my big questions is how well it actually performs in a hover. Like say, above trees or water, where you can't actually land to pick someone up. I've heard "not great" but I've never seen it or really seen anything I'd consider credible.