Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well that certainly was an episode :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
poo poo, between GoT/NHL playoffs/F1/MLB seasons, I kind of forgot Penny Dreadful started. How is it so far compared to S1 (which was awesome)?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Abner Assington posted:

poo poo, between GoT/NHL playoffs/F1/MLB seasons, I kind of forgot Penny Dreadful started. How is it so far compared to S1 (which was awesome)?

Only two episodes in. First one was ehn, second one was fantastic and had a triple helping of our favorite Egyptologist.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
We really should lock this thread.

Or unlock the second season two three, and go balls out with three Penny Dreadful threads.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I don't think the thread moves fast enough to warrant a new one really.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Agree that we should continue posting in this thread. That will allow new viewers to see our S1 discussion.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Was Billie Piper's character awake and struggling when Viktor put her down? If so, I wonder what episode she'll regain that memory.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't remember if she was fully awake/aware or if she was already pretty out of it when he killed her, but she'll definitely remember that he did at some point. That'll probably be this season's equivalent of "Completely normal human male Josh Hartnett will eventually do something."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well I'm looking forward to Viktor having two pissed-off undead creations making his life hell.

Actually, they may just kill him.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have no idea why Dorian Gray is in this show or why anyone is supposed to care about him doing stuff.

I called that his new flirtation was a cross dresser inside 3 seconds.

Not sure if the Gray actor is bad, or if the writing is just flat, but this is a show that needs hammy Dalton level scenes from start to finish.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

He's honestly just there to spice the show up with sex. Add him to have sex with Brona, have sex with Ethan, have sex with Vanessa, with loads of strangers in front of a photographer who honestly couldn't give a gently caress, then this season, apparently a very flirty harlot who called him young and pretty.

Besides that, he adds no substance. I'm not sure he's even love-triangle material, since his interest flits around so easily.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I actually didn't mind him in season 1, mostly because I think the actor does a good job of portraying this kind of weird, sorta creepy energy, but yeah he's just kind of...there. Hopefully they actually have something in mind for him this season, because his random sexcapades don't really hold up to werewolf rampages, frankenstein love triangles, and infanticide-committing, bloodbath-taking, voodoo doll-making incestual lesbian devil witches.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I like Dorian Grey, he takes so much pleasure in corrupting people and like has been said, the actor playing him gets this across so well.

Also, add "hates the Bible and religion" to Friendzone Frankenstein's goon character sheet, and lol at Victor introducing him to Lily as a "friend"

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I actually laughed quite loudly at the accent change and the justification speech for it. I wonder if the actors cracked up at that.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

More like looked sideways awkwardly so they don't have to confront Billie Piper and mutter to themselves this is why is pays to get a good language coach and practice, practice, practice. How embarrassing, that they have to rewrite your entire character, because your portrayal of was terrible and they want to make it easier.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I don't understand how this show hasn't been canceled and I love every minute of it.

Lyle is amazing.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

wooger posted:

Not sure if the Gray actor is bad, or if the writing is just flat, but this is a show that needs hammy Dalton level scenes from start to finish.

I think he's crazy bad. Like, how did he manage to land a major Broadway production or get through an audition bad. And this may seem like the old "and such small portions!" joke but if he's going to be on the show he should have more to do with the other characters and maybe some narrative progress with the whole conceit of his character.

I'll admit I cheered when Hartnett kissed him though. I love how queer genre television has gotten. It's about time they realized who watches these things.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Wax Lion posted:

I think he's crazy bad. Like, how did he manage to land a major Broadway production or get through an audition bad. And this may seem like the old "and such small portions!" joke but if he's going to be on the show he should have more to do with the other characters and maybe some narrative progress with the whole conceit of his character.

He's probably going to end up being the devil or something. You'll see his portrait and its literally

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Mouse Dresser posted:

I actually laughed quite loudly at the accent change and the justification speech for it. I wonder if the actors cracked up at that.

Seriously, I just burst out laughing when I heard her new voice, and immediately thought of all the comments here last season.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, they somehow managed to make puppets even creepier than they already were. :gonk:

God, I love this show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OmniBeer posted:

Seriously, I just burst out laughing when I heard her new voice, and immediately thought of all the comments here last season.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And then he rips her in half when he finds out the horrible put-on Irish accent survived the process.

"I MUST BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND HER, DEMON!"

Still makes me smile.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I just caught up on this. I have to admit, I thought of that post as well when I realized she was speaking clearly.

PostNouveau posted:

Well I'm looking forward to Viktor having two pissed-off undead creations making his life hell.

Actually, they may just kill him.

I think Frankenstein will kill *himself* long before that. The Creature all but told him 'no' when he asked if this made them even.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 16, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I know we're all supposed to dislike Mrs. Poole...but I just can't, she's the best villain this show's had yet.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I loved last season's Vanessa flashback ep. This one did not disappoint.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

qbert posted:

I loved last season's Vanessa flashback ep. This one did not disappoint.

Patti Lupone upstaged her, but yeah, the show's weaker whenever Eva's not on screen.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
It was a good human episode this week and a refreshing palate changer from last weeks :gonk: dolls.

I felt the ending left a lot unresolved though unless they planned to address it later one. Not sure if I missed anything but does Mr Poole now own the land or did Vanessa end up claiming it? Why didn't the lynch mob hang Vanessa or the coven kidnap her once the other witch was dead? Does Sir Malcolm know about this?

I really wished that episode ended with Ethan at the tavern on a full moon while some country bumpkin tells this big story of how they killed the wicked witch.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

Why didn't the coven kidnap her once the other witch was dead?

Why didn't the lynch mob hang Vanessa?

My guess is that they wanted her *before* she had been taught to defend herself against them, so they now have to play the long game.

As to why they didn't hang/burn Vanessa, my guess is a combination of 1) she didn't have a history of being a witch in their lands, 2) I'm sure Lord McSecretSubbie and Mrs. Poole knew she was a noblewoman, and 3) it was demonstrated that Mrs. Poole had some rudimentary mental control over all of them in their inebriated and possibly 'potioned' state.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 18, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Or more simply, the coven doesn't want Vanessa dead, but not entirely sure what they want her for. To have Satan's baby?

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know we're all supposed to dislike Mrs. Poole...but I just can't, she's the best villain this show's had yet.

Yeah I like her too. But the villain last season was quite possibly the worst Vampire of all time.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Patti Lupone was the greatest thing on an already great episode. I am so glad they had an entire episode dedicated to Green and Lupone in an acting face-off. Holy poo poo, that may have been my favorite episode of this entire series.

I was lucky enough to see Patti Lupone in the revival of "Sweeney Todd" a while back and she was incredible then, and is even more incredible now. Only better role she's ever had was as Frank Rossitano's mom on "30 Rock."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I get why Vanessa probably didn't take the WMD spellbook with her, but did she really have to leave behind that sweet tin case that housed the tarot cards?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sober posted:

I get why Vanessa probably didn't take the WMD spellbook with her, but did she really have to leave behind that sweet tin case that housed the tarot cards?

Did she or didn't she take the book? I assumed it was a Chekov's Gun situation where they wouldn't even introduce it if she wasn't going to eventually use it before the season's out.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Past 2 episodes have been so great I don't have much to add. Eva Green, Patti Lupone and Helen McCrory scenes were more like watching a movie than a tv show.

But both this show and GoT feature a strong woman with 3 female assistants (Ellaria + 3 Sand Snakes) and so far the Penny Dreadful nightcomers are more entertaining - and dangerous.
And creepy.

Also I really like how the camera often goes up so we can see an entire vista, and then swings down into the scene for the story.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 19, 2015

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

3) it was demonstrated that Mrs. Poole had some rudimentary mental control over all of them in their inebriated and possibly 'potioned' state.

Was this just from the scene at the bar? I don't think the people were under some kind of evil magic spell, Mrs Poole was just really good at preying on people's darker natures and the people were more than happy to hate on something different.

qbert posted:

Did she or didn't she take the book? I assumed it was a Chekov's Gun situation where they wouldn't even introduce it if she wasn't going to eventually use it before the season's out.

I thought she didn't take the book which is why she wards the house at the end?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

I thought she didn't take the book which is why she wards the house at the end?

Yeah, that's going to be really awkward when she and Ethan try to retrieve it. It might be what finally forces Ethan to confront his nature.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, that's going to be really awkward when she and Ethan try to retrieve it. It might be what finally forces Ethan to confront his nature.

It'll be cool when Ethan can't cross the threshold. :woop:

Vanessa: But I thought you were a perfectly normal human male?!
Ethan: I guess not. *turns into werewolf, winks at camera, runs off to go kill cows*

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

Was this just from the scene at the bar? I don't think the people were under some kind of evil magic spell, Mrs Poole was just really good at preying on people's darker natures and the people were more than happy to hate on something different.

She did *something* to the girl who'd had the abortion to make her scream out "Burn the Witch!" to rile up the crowd and push them into a murderous mood.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

She did *something* to the girl who'd had the abortion to make her scream out "Burn the Witch!" to rile up the crowd and push them into a murderous mood.

I don't think so. I think, with the camera work and the girl with the abortion's gaze, it was plain guilt. She wanted to be part of the crowd, be an innocent, lay the blame instead of take ownership of the fact that she used the cut woman.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

That scene can definitely be read both ways, whether it was small-town superstition or Poole directly influencing their emotions.

Although they did establish earlier in the same episode that Poole can coerce people to do things with magic. She almost made Patti cross the threshold with her voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
My impression of Poole's actions both in that scene at the cottage where she's trying to lure the cut-wife out and all her interactions with the townspeople was that she was nudging what was already there. Her sister had that longing, regret of turning away and what could have been maybe, that let her influence work. The townspeople were pretty motivated already but needed her behind them pushing them into action. I'm expecting to see more of that in the future -- her working with undercurrents that are already there to bring out people's inner desires/demons to do the work for her. I'm really wondering what that will look like with Sir Malcolm.

• Locked thread